PDA

View Full Version : What/who got you interested?

EarlyRiser
10-06-2002, 15:15
So what first got you interested in backpacking/hiking? Was there anyone in particular who inspired you to discover the wonderful world outside of four walls and a roof?

Hikerhead
10-06-2002, 15:32
For me, I guess it all started when as a kid dad would load up the trialer and take the family camping. I was always running off on the trails around the campground.

Those times that we went camping were some of the best memories I have as a kid.

I think that was the flame that lit the fire for me.

SGT Rock
10-06-2002, 15:48
I started walking in the outdoors with my family as early as I can remember. Some of my earliest childhood memories are hiking in the Ozark mountains and the Tennessee Valley. At about 12 my Grandfather got me into the backpacking scene by hiking the AT around Standing Indian including the Loop Trails. Summer family reunions in Western NC gave me and my brother lots of oportunities to hike where there were no trails in the Nantahala mountains and to fall in love with that type of forest which comprises the southern AT. Someday I hope to get my children into those mountains the way I was so the bug can bite them too.

Pass on the infection.

Trail Yeti
10-06-2002, 16:51
I got started hiking at a young age w/my parents. We also did a lot of car camping etc. As a got older I got into Boy Scouts and that just fueled the fire...
So a combination of things, but mostly family outings.

Kerosene
10-06-2002, 18:31
I got started in Scouting around the age of 9, moving from camping to hiking to backpacking over time. The camping, hiking, pioneering and cooking merit badges taught me quite a bit. I started to read Ed Garvey's Appalachian Hiker: Adventure of a Lifetime around 8th grade in 1971. I take that back, I didn't read it, i absorbed it! I read everything I could get my hands on, which really wasn't a whole lot back then.

Two scouting buddies and I convinced our parents to let 3, 15-year old boys hike the New Jersey section over spring break in early April of 1973. I went out almost every year through high school and college, culminating in a thru-hike of the Long Trail in '79. I convinced my future wife to walk from Duncannon to Harpers Ferry, but I haven't been able to get her out since, and her lack of interest has poisoned my 12-year old daughter towards even considering getting out there. :(

buttercup
10-06-2002, 18:34
I camped as a kid, but my father was the type to bring the orange extension cords and the tv... not my idea of camping.

I got interested in the AT because a friend (Nutterbutter) has been planning a thru-hike for ages, tentatively for 2007 now. Truthfully, I thought she was kind of crazy at first. She took me out on a couple hikes and backpacking trips and I just loved it. Fortunately, my husband does too or else I would be in trouble.

The final nail in the coffin for me was this June when we hiked up Katahdin via the AT, which frankly, I didn't think I'd be able to do. I decided once I got to the top that I just wanted to hike the whole trail... and there I was off on my section hiking adventures.

chris
10-06-2002, 18:38
Like alot of people, it all started for me with Scouting. When I got more advanced in scouts, the outdoors part got boring. We still went to the same, boring places we did when I was younger. Plus, I was now expected to take care of the younger scouts when outdoors, something I had no interest in. So, I dropped out on the verge of Eagle scout and did my own thing. No regrets whatsoever.

Weeknd
10-07-2002, 11:59
I too got started from family camping then scouting. When I was young (7?) some of my parents good friends got our family to start camping with them from time to time (they camped a lot). I really wanted to camp more. Fortunately my folks bought a little tent trailer and we went to a lot of different campgrounds and state parks around North AL and Southern TN. We would always go on day hikes when we were camping. By the grace of God, I got in a backpacking scout troop. The troop went on 11 trips a year, 9 of them backpacking trips. The last trip of the scouting year was a week on the AT every year, the first week of June. To go, you had to go on about 5 of the previous trips and were required to go on the April and May trip. I did a lot of backpacking in all kinds of weather. My first trip on the AT started around Deep Gap and went up Standing Indian, I think it was about 1978 maybe 79. We moved in 80 and I went to a troop that was a camping troop, but some "senior" scouts got to go on a spring break trip in the Mt. Rogers Area, I went one year. I spent a lot of time in scouts, finished my eagle and still was involved, especially in camping trips until I left for college.

Camped a lot and backpacked some when I was at Auburn. Regret I never "found the money" to go with some friends every year to CO backpacking. My next to that last backpacking trip was a weekend the first of March around Springer with one of my best friends. That was 12 years ago. I decided that I wanted to start backpacking again and that friend was more than eager to go. I went again after 12 years, in the Natahala area last June. I am now planning another trip next year and hoping to do the whole GA section in a year or two.:)

RavenJ223
10-09-2002, 18:46
I started hiking when I was about 10. My 2 brothers and I would take off into the woods behind our house for days at a time. Jefferson National forest was close to our property line. We never carried much with us and we took a diffrent route each time. We loved it and of course it worried our parents. That seems like a long time ago. I had stopped hiking and backpacking for awhile. My brother died 2 years ago this August. I go out alot now. When I am out there I can feel him watching. I know it sounds lame but that is why I go now. I have yet to do a thru-hike but I do plan to. I have already hiked the entire section through VA And look forward to the rest. Maybe I will see ya on the trail if not good luck and god speed.

Raven

Mom Lamb
11-05-2002, 21:39
Though I haven't started my thru-hike on the AT yet, I have done a lot of day hikes. My parents instilled a love for the outdoors and nature in us at an early age. As a four year old I climbed Mount Monadnock in NH--my very first mountain climb, still memorable to me.

When I was a little older, I lived for the summer at a Vermont ski resort near Smuggler's Notch, VT. We climbed Mount Madonna and I remember my father pointing to The Long Trail, upon which we stood, saying that it connected with a trail that went all the way from Georiga to Maine. I thought to myself, "Someday, I'm going to walk that whole trail."

Later we moved to a farm in Upsstate NY bordering a large, 2-lake water-shed area (Canadice & Hemlock lakes), owned by the Rochester Water Company. As childern we did a lot of hiking in those pristine areas. I spent 5 years living in the Adirondack Park and hiked the mountains and canoed the quiet lakes there, too.

What re-kindled my interest in the AT was a fluke, I guess you could say. I was researching the historical Swamp Fox, Francis Marion and found the journal of a thru-hiker with the trail name of Swamp Fox. I read it and was fascinated by the adventure, the challenge, the camraderie she described.

So it was a combination of factors that got me interested, I guess.

Hammock Hanger
11-05-2002, 23:08
childhood camping, summer cottage in the mountains, and Scouting...

My dream of backpacking came from Ed Garvey. HAmmock Hanger

chief
11-05-2002, 23:54
did a little hiking when in the scouts, so many years ago. picked it up again in 1997, hiking and camping with my close friends, jack, angel, sally, marc and mary (had to mention all their names). during this time, jack told me about his dream of thru-hiking the AT. i encouraged him to go for it. then on thanksgiving day in 1999, he asked me to consider hiking the trail with him in 2000. this floored me! i knew nothing about the AT and had never considered the possibility. he asked me to give him an answer by that xmas and to move me in that direction, he gave me several AT books and encouraged me to surf the net for AT sites. well, i read the books and as you know, there is a wealth of info on the internet. i was hooked! so, on april 5th 2000, we began our hike at springer. when i try again in 2003, i will dedicate my hike to my bro by choice, jack (trailname "BONES").

Mom Lamb
11-06-2002, 00:04
Though I haven't started my thru-hike yet, I have done a lot of day hikes. My parents instilled a love for the outdoors and nature in us at an early age. As a four year old I climbed Mount Monadnock in NH--my very first mountain climb, still memorable to me.

When I was a little older, I lived for the summer at a Vermont ski resort near Smuggler's Notch, VT. We climbed Mount Madonna and I remember my father pointing to The Long Trail, upon whiich we stood, saying that it connected with a trail that went all the way from Georiga to Maine. I thought to myself, "Someday, I'm going to walk that trail."

Later we moved to a farm bordering a large, 2-lake water-shed area (Canadice & Hemlock lakes), owned by the Rochester, NY water company. As childern we did a lot of hiking in those pristine areas. I spent 5 years living in the Adirondack Park and hiked the mountains and canoed the quiet lakes there, too.

What re-kindled my interest in the AT was a fluke, I guess you could say. I was researching the historical Swamp Fox, Francis Marion and found the journal of a thru-hiker with the trail name of Swamp Fox. I read it and was fascinated by the adventure, the challenge, the camraderie she described.

So, it was a combination of factors that got me interested, I guess.

Uncle Wayne
11-06-2002, 08:45
I joined an active Boy Scout troop in 1964 and that began my backpacking experience. Our family car camped each summer but the first summer I was a scout we did a 50 mile backpacking trip through the Bankhead National Forest in north Alabama. On that hike we helped the Forest Service cut / clear a one mile path from a gravel road to the largest Tulip Poplar in the world, which, BTW, is the largest tree of any kind in Alabama. After that summer a couple of trips to the AT sealed my fate as an avid backpacker. Thank you Mr. Johnson, (my old Scoutmaster.)

chief
11-06-2002, 11:54
uncle wayne, thanks for helping cut that trail to the tree. it's my favorite piece of sipsey wilderness. love the setting, tree and falls!

psuruns10
11-11-2002, 11:18
Parents got me involved. I was camping before my first birthday. As far as the love for the AT it started wtih my parents too...when i was young maybe 8-10 we started in geogia in our pick up truck and pop up camping and ended in Maine....camped the whole way and hiked a portion of the AT in every state. I only remember a few parts of it ; it was 12-13 years ago. I remember climbing mt. washington in the fog. They also got me started in "HIGH POINTING". Had 10 high points before i realized what it was about.

two more years and i will be able to do it all again on foot....cant wait

randy
aka
jibberish

armyguy
11-12-2002, 10:22
I have childhood memories of my Dad taking me fishing and spending lots of time in the woods. I was born in North Georgia and spent lots of time walking (we didn't call it hiking) the Chickamauga Civil War Battlefield. All these things gave me a love and appreciation for the world outside four walls and a roof.
My days as an infantryman in the Army (many years ago) gave me a great appreciation for hiking (marching) and my current days as a chaplain in the Army have given me an even greater appreciation for God's grand creation. A few years ago while stationed in Huntsville, AL, I read a story about a local guy who thru-hike the AT. This intrigued me and I've spent the last few years section hiking the GA AT and many other trails in N GA. In anticipation of retirement and a desire to stay active I plan to thru-hike tha AT to further enjoy the space outside four walls and a roof.

Waterbuffalo
01-10-2003, 12:23
I figured I'd get this rollin again, I got into because of the National Geograpohic book that came out in the mid 80's My aunt gav it to my dad and he had always wanted to hike the AT but due to Home Strings never had the chance. I read it and said I wasn't going to let it pass me by and I haven't stopped yet. Plus since my dad can't hike I take a ton of pictures and he can live his dream adventure through me. :)

WB

kythruhiker
01-11-2003, 14:34
My grandmother first peaked my interest in anything related to nature and hiking. Growing up on a large farm, we would take weekly hikes around the woods on the farms to look at wildflowers, etc...She knew when and where each particular wildflower would bloom every year, on every single inch of 750 acres. We'd be driving down the road and she'd spot a flower up a hill in the middle of nowhere, stop the car in the middle of the road, and go check it out. Up until I got a driver's license, that WAS the activity of the weekends, and about everyday in the summers - hiking around the farm. Once I became "mobile", then the hiking just moved elsewhere - to the nearest National Forest, etc... I first saw the AT at a very young age on a trip to the Smokey's with my folks - was fascinated by a trail that was so long I couldn't picture the end.

RagingHampster
01-11-2003, 17:45
Well I guess I'm alot different. I camped a few times when I was younger (and I mean designated camping sites with fire pits, bathrooms, etc). When I say a few I mean 3 or 4 times. I also used to fish every once in a while with my dad, but at ponds or lakes, and from the back of the car.

When I graduated from high school, I wanted to travel so badly, but held off because I was accepted to the mechanical engineering program at UMass Amherst. After spending a year and a half in a cement hole (aka dorm) squeezing out B's while I surfed traveling sites, I finally had enough, dropped my classes in my third semeter, and got upgraded from a part-time college job as a lab tech, to operating the place on third shift (sucks but makes good cash). I have been weekend hiking almost every weekend for a year and a half now in the berkshires, central mass, and all over Vermont. I've also gone on a few 5 day trips in the green mountains.

My friend enjoys mountaineering. He climbs 14k ft. peaks like Mt. Shasta in California and Cotopaxi in Equador. He also hikes every once in a while and is interested in ice climbing. He lives about 10 yards from the Metacomet-Monadnock trail, and his house is mentioned in the guidebook. He says if he could have done one thing different, he would have started when he was my age. I ponderd this, and it has really given me the kick in the ass I needed to drop my quest for a stable job, house, and Audi (and the life of paying for these things) for a life of adventure, and amazing experiences. I've gave my notice at work, and will be hiking/traveling with my saved funds starting in July '03 to a climax of an AT thru-hike attempt in March '04. If I make it, PCT may be in the future for '05.

GA to ME '04!

Ann
01-11-2003, 19:33
I can't ever remember NOT hiking. It was just something the family did. When I was 6 years old my family moved to northern Massachusetts and the White Mountains of NH became a frequent weekend destination. It was always an event because we'd have to leave very early in the morning when it was still dark since there was no such thing as RTE 93 back then. A weekend in the Whites was something I always looked forward to. The smells of the woods, the adventure of different conditions above treeline, the exhilarating feeling of being on a treeless summit, building and sitting around a campfire, drinking from a canteen full of cold spring water and overnight trips are what truly got me hooked.

Wander Yonder
01-11-2003, 23:06
For me, it started with a German hiking song I learned in elementary school back in the 50's.

Then when I was a teenager, I read an article in the Reader's Digest about hiking the trail.

Of course, I also read all the whaling, sailing, mountain climbing, Alaskan, and frontier adventure stories I could get my hands on.

But then "real life" crowded out the dreams over the years.

A few years back I started getting back into camping. Then I moved into primitive camping. Then I started studying the old ways, including learning to build wigwams and wickiups, primitive cooking methods, learning wild foods, etc.

Somehow, I ended up at Trail Journals a couple of years ago and started reading. That was it. I was at Square One again. I knew I finally HAD to do it!

kythruhiker
01-11-2003, 23:35
I think my first official reading of an online journal was from Mr. Bruce himself - circa 1998/99. He had some good stuff back then, wonder what happened to all those journal archives...

Lugnut
01-12-2003, 01:42
Ed the ahchives are at:http://web.archive.org/web/20000510104141/http://trailplace.com/

kythruhiker
01-12-2003, 01:55
Great, thanks! At first glance, looks like some of the '99 journals are available as an archive, and some aren't...it'll keep me busy for awhile catching up!

Ed

Streamweaver
01-12-2003, 21:44
Like Ann I cant ever remember not hiking and camping. My parents used to take my 2 brothers and I out for day hikes ,car camping and short backpacking trips before I could even walk(carried me in an old indian style papoos(sp?) My first real backpacking trip was at the age of 9 with my 2 brothers ages12 and 6 and my dad in the white mountains.I couldnt have been hard to miss with my external frame backpack with a blaze orange canvas packpag (I loved that pack!!!)and my huge coleman sleeping bag with the ducks on the inside lol. It rained so hard we swam up the trail lol We ended up eating cold spam sandwitches cause my dads old svea stove wouldnt work. We didnt see another soul on that trip!! The next morning we slid on down the trail which could have easily been mistaken for a stream!! The only real downside to that trip was when we got off the trail we stopped at a diner for some hot food but the jerk wouldnt let us in!! I thought dad was going to jail for sure for killing that idiot!!lol Other than that we had a great time! Being out in the woods is a way of life for me and my family and i hope it always will be!! The trips that didnt go quite the way they were planned(which seems like most of em lol) usually turn out to be the best.Like the canoe trip we took through the Jersey Pine Barrens in the mid 70s my brother and cousin got to far ahead of everybody else and by time they decided to slow down it got real dark and cold!! The thing was they had the canopener we had the cannedgoods,they had the steaks we had the matches lol
well you get the picture. Streamweaver

PushingDaisies
01-13-2003, 21:00
I started hiking/camping/canoeing in the summer of 99 when my neighbor in my apartment building invited me to go on canoe trip. We ended up doing many car camping trip to the North Shore of Lake Superior during that summer.

I decided to take car camping to the next level when I found out about the Superior Hiking Trail that was near by our camp site. The next summer, I took my first backpacking trip with a friend from college. I didn't start with the ever so mild overnighter, I went all out. 14 days and 100 miles later, I was hooked.

As for the AT, I remembered hearing about a trail that ran from GA to ME in the winter of '96. A co-worker of mine was saying that he wanted to hike it. Of course, I asked all the usual dumb questions. :D I then promptly forgot about it, even though it sounded intresting.

In Oct. of '99 I was looking at sites on the internet and came across several sites for the AT and my intrest was sparked again. I decided that I was going go for it. I chose 2001, so that I would have time to plan. Then because of a car acident it got pushed back to 02.