PDA

View Full Version : Savage Gulf

Thinktraub
03-21-2008, 22:25
I'd like to do a 5-day loop in Savage Gulf TN and would like suggestions for some good elevation stuff. I was there several years ago and definitely want to hike past the spot where you look down 200+ feet into the gorge to the river, near one of the ranger stations.

ALSO -- how's the water situation there, if anyone knows?

Bearpaw
03-22-2008, 00:41
I'd like to do a 5-day loop in Savage Gulf TN and would like suggestions for some good elevation stuff. I was there several years ago and definitely want to hike past the spot where you look down 200+ feet into the gorge to the river, near one of the ranger stations.

ALSO -- how's the water situation there, if anyone knows?

Water is plentiful in the gorges, and most of the rim campsites as well. Hobbs Cabin's spring is pretty murky, but with dilligent prefiltering is decent. The South Rim Trails springs near StageCoach Campsite were flowing well in January and should be even moreso with the recent rains. I don't know about Alum. It seems to generally be dry, though you can walk a 1/2 mile to the stream in the gorge for water.

Thinktraub
03-22-2008, 16:54
Thanks for the H2O info. When do the ticks start jumping in Grundy County?

Bearpaw
03-23-2008, 13:10
Thanks for the H2O info. When do the ticks start jumping in Grundy County?

I don't know for sure, but I would guess about the same time as here in the Nashville Basin, late April, early May.