PDA

View Full Version : Ridgerunning in CT.

johnnyblisters
03-21-2008, 22:50
Just got a summer job with the AMC ridgerunning the CT section of trail :D. I have never hiked this far north and have been wondering what to expect. Anyone have any input? (weather, bugs, scenery, etc.) Just curious to see what everyone else thinks of the section.:-?

Tin Man
03-22-2008, 05:15
Just got a summer job with the AMC ridgerunning the CT section of trail :D. I have never hiked this far north and have been wondering what to expect. Anyone have any input? (weather, bugs, scenery, etc.) Just curious to see what everyone else thinks of the section.:-?

Yes, we have weather, bugs, scenery, etc. :D

Yet, it's not as weathery, buggy, scenic, etc. as some other states. The trail has a few ups and downs, a few flat river walks along the Housatonic, and a few flat ridge walks with occasional views. Campfires are prohibited for the entire section, so you may have to clean up after a few who choose to ignore this rule. Some shelters are too close to roads, so there can be party remains to clean up after. Its a busy section with many day hikers. Maybe I will see you on the trail.

jigsaw
03-22-2008, 07:20
hey johnny congrats sounds like a great job. conn is a very nice section with a little of everything. i personally like the river walk and the falls at falls village. dont be afraid to sneak over the border into sages ravine :welcomeyou wont be disapointed

canoehead
03-22-2008, 09:02
Hey Johnnyblisters,

My brother and I worked thed area forthe last 5 years or so as Wkd RRs for AMC. I don't do it any more but I'm still out there RRing with him on thw Wkds, Good views, Bugs, decent shelters & water year round, can get dry though, lots of day hikers heading to Bear Mt, we had a number of lost people, blow downs were managed well. The big group site Sages Ravine has some work needed, 2 bear boxes, lots of laurals. I think thre northern end is nicer than the southern, and of course you'll get to meet and greet lots of WBers.
Lots of great compliments on the service we provide there, do a good job and be proud of your section, at the end of the day rest..............

gsingjane
03-22-2008, 09:12
Hi and welcome! I hope I will see you out there this summer, I'm leading several trips for the Girl Scouts and it would be great to run into a ridgerunner. (Don't worry, I'm forcing them to limit the group to 10 to a site, tenting only). Take care and enjoy this beautiful stretch of the trail!

Jane in CT

canoehead
03-22-2008, 10:22
Hi gsingjane

If you and the GS show up at Sages on a weekend you should be able to find the Ridgerunner at the Caretaker platform. We have a tent platform with a sign just up the hill from the streams new log bridge, on your left we're there from April till Oct/ Nov.
I also run lots of programs for the GS & Boy Scouts and School groups, I use this location because of the Hill's, Views, Loops and Side trails it's a great area with a diverse environment.

Peace.

johnnyblisters
03-22-2008, 10:32
Thanks for the replies everyone, I can't wait to get out there! Since I live in Maryland, its a 5 hour drive for me to get to work. I have been thinking about spending my days off working for stay at some small organic farms in the area. Has anyone ever been to Moon in the Pond farm?

johnnyblisters
04-02-2008, 15:56
Bumping this thread to the top, wanted to see if anyone could answer my above question about doing work for stays at local places?

sasquatch2014
04-03-2008, 09:35
Not sure about the farms but you could check with some of the prep schools and see if they could work out a deal with you for one of the spots that their staff use during the school year. There are a ton of boarding schools in the area.

A-Train
04-03-2008, 10:53
Can't you just camp on trail on days off to save money? Also, doesn't the CT section have a ridgerunner cabin they offer you lodging at?

I went home on days off since I was close, but camping is always an option.

Enjoy the job, it's a lot of fun and you should be able to save some decent money by summers end if you can live frugaly.

Tankerhoosen
04-03-2008, 11:04
Yah but its also nice to get out of the woods when you are there 24/7

johnnyblisters
04-03-2008, 18:42
Yah but its also nice to get out of the woods when you are there 24/7

Exactly, I love living in the woods don't get me wrong, but showers and cheeseburgers are nice things too!

Tin Man
04-04-2008, 05:50
Exactly, I love living in the woods don't get me wrong, but showers and cheeseburgers are nice things too!

Here you go...

http://lh4.google.com/TinManCT/R_X3pnBIKzI/AAAAAAAAAFM/97rhsql3KN0/s144/shower.jpghttp://lh5.google.com/TinManCT/R_X3p3BIK0I/AAAAAAAAAFU/vstPluAnYMo/s144/cheeseburger.jpg

gsingjane
04-04-2008, 07:20
Johnny, why don't you google on "NOFA" (National Organic Farmers Association) and see what pops up in CT? That might generate some leads....

Jane in CT

skinny minnie
04-04-2008, 08:59
http://www.ctnofa.org/programs/farms.php#location1

You could try getting in touch with some of these farms...

My suggestion would be to take a day trip one weekend and head down to the closest farmer's market near the trail... and start talking to people! Someone might be interested, or know of someone else. (But they don't start until May or so)

http://www.ctnofa.org/programs/markets.php

(Not sure how up to date this is, though)

Or you could post on craigslist... there was a good one in simsbury ct but I'm assuming that's too far. http://westernmass.craigslist.org/lab/628331388.html

Maybe I'll see you on the trail. Enjoy the blueberries... that's probably my favorite part of the trail!