PDA

View Full Version : White Blaze Fever

2Ply
01-23-2004, 15:29
I just finished reading White Blaze Fever. It's basically a trail journal with some hiker tips added here and there. If you would like the book to read and pass along to others, just respond to this post with an e-mail address and I will get back to you so I can mail the book at no cost to you. :)

illininagel
01-23-2004, 15:53
I recently read the book. At first, I wasn't all that impressed with it. I thought it read too much like a trail journal. However, as I continued reading, I enjoyed the book more and I found some of the tips to be helpful.

okpik
01-23-2004, 19:02
Sounds like a good read then?

cabalot
01-23-2004, 19:39
is there a pdf. version we could download and read with adobe acrobat reader?

illininagel
01-23-2004, 19:55
Sounds like a good read then?

I think it's a worthwhile read. However, I recently read six other AT thru-hiking books, most of which I enjoyed more than William Schuette's "White Blaze Fever." White Blaze Fever does have an advantage over most of the other books in that it is more current. As I recall, Schuette hiked the AT only a couple of years ago. And, he does include some tips that I found to be helpful.

Here's a listing of the last seven books that I've read, in the order that I read them:

1- A Walk in the Woods, by Bill Bryson: Rediscovering America on the Appalachian Trail
2- As Far as the Eye Can See, by David Brill
3- On the Beaten Path: An Appalachian Pilgrimage, by Robert Rubin
4- Mountain Adventure: Exploring the Appalachian Trail, by Ron Fisher
5- Walkin' On the Happy Side of Misery: A Slice of Life on the Appalachian Trail, by Julius Tate
6- Long Distance Hiking: Lessons from the Appalachian Trail
7- White Blaze Fever, by William Schuette

Although David Brill's hike is not current, it motivated me to learn more about the trail and thru-hiking. I thought Bill Bryson and J.R. Tate's books were very funny. J.R. Tate's book is current and provides a very realistic accounting of life on the trail (from what I hear). Bryson's is good for pure entertainment value---and to learn how not to do a thru-hike. I also like On the Beaten Path, although it was a little too close to a trail journal for my liking.

One last thing---if you are interested in saving money, consider using your local library. I reserved every one of these books through the internet from my local library. If they don't have it, they get it or borrow it from another library at no charge to me. Or, in the case of White Blaze Fever, the library bought it to meet my request! I'm sure most libraries offer the same service. They just call me when it is ready for pick-up. Convenient and free!

okpik
01-23-2004, 21:00
I think it's a worthwhile read. However, I recently read six other AT thru-hiking books, most of which I enjoyed more than William Schuette's "White Blaze Fever."

Thanks for such a detailed response.