PDA

View Full Version : bags to zip together

ishmael86
03-22-2008, 12:05
Hi all:

My girlfriend and I are looking for bags we can mate together--

Criteria: We'd like down bags for 3-season, sort of all around use, not just summer bags, and at least one of them needs to be good down to like 15 degrees because I am a cold, cold sleeper.

And as cheap as we can get 'em :D The cheaper the better, but I'm not going to sacrifice quality for price--the bag I have now is a Sierra designs Rosa 20 and boy I got what I paid for on that one. Won't even keep me warm down to 40 degrees. It's time to upgrade.

Anybody have any recommendations?

Jason of the Woods
03-22-2008, 12:09
Be careful. Our local outfitter gave us bad info and our WM and Mountain Hardware bags are not compatible. Just try them to make sure. I would have loved to cuddle during our winter hikes this year.

Thrasher
03-22-2008, 19:28
My wife and I have the REI sub-kilo bags, 15* womens and the mens is rated 20*. They mate together well. Some people state that the rating isn't true for these bags, but I've never officially tested them. I've always been warm enough. We mated them last time we went out for extra warmth. Not the best for cuddling though if that's your intent because of the mummy shape, but that will probably be with all mummy shaped bags. They are $239 each, but if you have the 20% off still for membership you can get them cheaper. I've also read people complain about them being to tight, or not roomy enough. My wife and I are fairly thin people and have no problems, but just something to keep in mind. Good luck!

Passionphish
03-22-2008, 21:06
Some of the REI bags and Big Agnes Bags zip together. Just be sure to check them out!

Summit
03-22-2008, 21:27
Obviously, buying them directly in a store after trying them out eliminates guess work. But if a store isn't convenient, make sure the manufacturer states that theirs mates, and that you get one left and one right zippered and of the same length for both (regular or long).

Wags
03-22-2008, 22:40
my gal and i are quite pleased w/ our lafuma x800 bags (male and female version). both are 40+ though, so i don't know if that's warm enough for you, but that 40 is comfy to 40. some bags, as you found out w/ your cheapo say 20+ but that's like, the extreme rating. i'm confident i could get my bag down to the mid 30's comfortably. tonight's low is 28 or i'd go out and test it for you.

honestly i'm very happy we went w/ the 40+ bags. much easier to put on some polys or fleece if cold, and won't get unbearably hot when it gets warm out. added bonus, both our bags are under 2 lbs, and both were under $80 each

also, when i was on my mateable sleeping bag quest i probed mountain hardware and got this response from them:

"Yes and yes. Men's and women's sleeping bags will zip together no matter the length. One needs to be a right zip and the other needs to be a left zip."

in regards to the men's and women's switch +35 (i asked if the long will zip to the women's regular). i don't know if their reply extends beyond those 2 bags or what though...

quasarr
03-22-2008, 22:55
My boyfriend and I use the homemade Ray-Way 2 person quilt. The cost is a bargain (about $80) unfortunately that's the only one of your preferences the quilt meets!

It's synthetic, I got the version that is rated to 28 degrees. However, both of us are 5'4" so we had some extra insulation after cutting the pattern to our size. If the two of you happen to be short and have insulation left over, you could add it to the quilt to make it a few degrees warmer.

basically the advantages are low cost, low weight, and the satisfaction of making your own stuff. The disadvantage is that it's not as warm as you'd like - and I definitely understand if you wouldn't be willing to comprimise on this!

ishmael86
03-23-2008, 10:22
I know, I was looking at Ray's quilt but yeah, I think I want to go the down route, and the warmer route as well :o)

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Keep 'em coming if you have more--honestly I'm not that impressed with the construction on the REI sub-kilo--just the way the baffles are sewn looks like they would be inefficient at retaining heat.

I'm looking seriously at Big Agnes bags though....

One question on them--it seems like they'd be lighter weight for having taken all the fill out of the bottom of the bag. I guess just comparing them to other companies whose bags are filled all around for the same temperature rating, I'm always surprised at how much they weigh.

quasarr
03-23-2008, 10:48
You have to take the Big Agnes bag weights with a grain of salt. Since the bag can only fit with their own pads, you have to add an extra pound or even 2 pounds to account for the somewhat heavy pads.

I have to recommend Western Mountaineering. They make the best down bags out there. In fact they have a reputation for being conservative with their temp ratings, so 20 means "comfortable at 20" not "won't die of hypothermia at 20." You'll pay for it though! Maybe look around on ebay for some deals

ishmael86
03-23-2008, 23:33
I know! I lust after those bags. What about feathered friends? As warm as their ratings say? According to the websites they'll have an inch less loft than a WM bag for the same rating

peter_pan
03-24-2008, 07:10
FWIW, there are down quilts with full side omni tape that function separately or combine as huge double quilts or bags.... even separate foot box capabilities if desired, or one and flay footsies.... some wearable.... some under a pound... some well under $200 .... many different temperature ranges, also.... "Think outside the Bag".

Pan

superman
03-24-2008, 07:49
FWIW, I don't think this is what you're looking for but it worked for us. Pat and I own 2 LL Bean bags with both down and synthetic rectangular bags of every weight. The most common bag for us to use is the 20 degree down bag. In order to save weight, to prevent cocooning and as a temperature alternative, we made our own "zip on" alternative for warm weather. We bought rip stop nylon and a zipper that mates with the LL Bean zipper. Pat made it the same size as the opened up LL Bean bag. It gives us lots of room and a unique summer alternative by putting the nylon layer on top of us and the sleeping bag under us.

ishmael86
03-24-2008, 18:37
FWIW, there are down quilts with full side omni tape that function separately or combine as huge double quilts or bags.... even separate foot box capabilities if desired, or one and flay footsies.... some wearable.... some under a pound... some well under $200 .... many different temperature ranges, also.... "Think outside the Bag".

Pan

Honestly, I don't think I'm capable of sleeping well in a quilt--I move around a lot and just want the ease of a sleeping bag. Jacks R better quilts don't exactly have omni tape on the whole bag though, right? Just from the footbox up? So could you put those together to make a double bag?

peter_pan
03-24-2008, 19:40
Honestly, I don't think I'm capable of sleeping well in a quilt--I move around a lot and just want the ease of a sleeping bag. Jacks R better quilts don't exactly have omni tape on the whole bag though, right? Just from the footbox up? So could you put those together to make a double bag?

Ismael86,

The JRB large Family Quilts have full side omnitape standard..... The JRB Standard Family of Quilts have only the foot box omnitape standard, However, there is an optional modification available for full side omnitape.... It is on the product page for the DTEPC.

Pan

ishmael86
03-24-2008, 23:19
Thanks. It's a thought. Although since I'm only 5 feet tall the size of the big quilt might be overkill for me.
Decisions, decisions.