PDA

View Full Version : What is a hiker to do?

spittinpigeon
03-22-2008, 17:03
My new girlfriend has a Nalgene bottle. I don't know how to bring it up without compromising the relationship. But at least she doesn't have any north face apparel.

Jason of the Woods
03-22-2008, 17:05
That was good. Though I carry one. I have to have my Coffee/Tea/Gatorade!

mudhead
03-22-2008, 17:21
If you have any sense, you will get her a pretty pink bottle. With a ribbon.

Discuss chemicals and grams later.

JAK
03-22-2008, 17:22
It can't be all bad. She will likely grow larger breasts.

Jason also. :D

I've switched to aluminum. My man breasts are big enough now,
and I can't remember what was so bad about aluminum.

Jason of the Woods
03-22-2008, 17:23
Yeah I read that article too.

JDCool1
03-22-2008, 17:48
Aluminum is known to produce cancer. It is used in a number of body products, ie. antipresperant, etc. Every time you boil something in a aluminum pot if you notice it clouding up, then paritcles are just waiting to clog up your system.
It is like the old saying, "Everything I like is illegal, immoral or will kill you."

quasarr
03-22-2008, 18:13
It's hopeless, I tell you. My boyfriend is hooked on his nalgene bottles. He's convinced that nothing else could possibly carry water. Everyone knows that the minute you step into the woods, all your stuff immediately breaks and the only way to prevent this is for gear to be bombproof and/or made by North Face. We've gone on several overnight hikes together and he's seen my 1L Aquafinas in action, but still he refuses to believe.

He's also certain that no garment could possibly repel water unless it's called "North Face Gore Tex Venting Expensive Supreme With Extra Zippers."

He's otherwise thrifty, I don't understand :( hopeless, I tell you!!

Skidsteer
03-22-2008, 18:17
Aluminum is known to produce cancer. It is used in a number of body products, ie. antipresperant, etc. Every time you boil something in a aluminum pot if you notice it clouding up, then paritcles are just waiting to clog up your system.
It is like the old saying, "Everything I like is illegal, immoral or will kill you."

http://www.snopes.com/movies/actors/valentino.asp

http://www.sciam.com/askexpert_question.cfm?articleID=0000FCD2-AA88-1C71-9EB7809EC588F2D7&catID=3

Whitey9457
03-22-2008, 18:58
what's so bad about nalgene bottles?

mudhead
03-22-2008, 19:07
Drinking water from them leads to wearing North Face clothing.

Lone Wolf
03-22-2008, 19:22

nothing. not owning one leads to one buying all kinds of goofy useless *hit such as leki poles for a start.

GGS2
03-22-2008, 19:41
nothing. not owning one leads to one buying all kinds of goofy useless *hit such as leki poles for a start.

I own a bunch of Nalgene, but not one Leki. Not infected yet, I guess. My wife likes to pick up a branch whenever we are out, but she is thinking of burning it, more than supporting herself.

I like the old Nalgenes because they are bombproof. Heavy bombs, maybe.

mts4602
03-22-2008, 19:42
what the *ell is going on:-?

saimyoji
03-22-2008, 19:42
It can't be all bad. She will likely grow larger breasts.

Nothing wrong with that.

Lone Wolf
03-22-2008, 19:56
Nothing wrong with that.

wasted skin and tissue

aaroniguana
03-22-2008, 20:01
I tried to tell you all that the Alzheimers story was hooey but ya didn't wanna hear it. I use an aluminum grease pot but I carry my water in glass 1 gallon cider jugs. Two of 'em. So there.

Jason of the Woods
03-22-2008, 20:11
What if I've got back issues, am I allowed to use poles? If it makes it possible for me to hike then I gotta be a weenie!:)

Summit
03-22-2008, 20:57
I use Nalgene bottles. My Gregory Whitney pack hip belt has a holder sized specifically for one, and it's just too cool and convenient. Don't care for drinking from a hose, and I can just reach down and grab my Nalgene bottle while hiking. Must have got the wrong color Nalgene though . . . 'cause I have Komperdell trekking poles! :D :p

Summit
03-22-2008, 20:59
BTW, what color Nalgene produces the best sized breasts? :eek:

Lone Wolf
03-22-2008, 21:01
I use Nalgene bottles. My Gregory Whitney pack hip belt has a holder sized specifically for one, and it's just too cool and convenient. Don't care for drinking from a hose, and I can just reach down and grab my Nalgene bottle while hiking. Must have got the wrong color Nalgene though . . . 'cause I have Komperdell trekking poles! :D :p

yeah. drinkin' from a hose attached to a bag that leaks in your pack is one of the dumbest inventions i've seen. W T F is so wrong with stopping, takin' the pack off and havin' a drink out of a bottle?

weary
03-22-2008, 21:09
Nothing has been "proved." But it releases chemicals that are similar to human homones, and there is some evidence that it impacts sexual development and behavior.

Weary

Summit
03-22-2008, 21:18
Here is plenty of reading about BPA. I would call it a "myth buster."

http://www.nalgene-outdoor.com/technical/bpaInfo.html

weary
03-22-2008, 21:25
There is zero evidence that aluminum causes cancer. There is some rather feeble evidence that it clogs up the brain -- causing dementia.

For that reason I only use aluminum for cooking when backpacking and for cooking lobster for a crowd of kids, grandkids and significant others. I figure that if aluminum's danger was severe, everyone would be dumb -- not just half of us.

Weary

Montego
03-22-2008, 21:29
Nothing has been "proved." But it releases chemicals that are similar to human homones, and there is some evidence that it impacts sexual development and behavior.

Weary

***, anyway to increase sexual develpment and behavior :D - Now where did I put those Nalgenes :-?.

Tin Man
03-22-2008, 21:30
yeah. drinkin' from a hose attached to a bag that leaks in your pack is one of the dumbest inventions i've seen. W T F is so wrong with stopping, takin' the pack off and havin' a drink out of a bottle?

No kidding. And I don't think I would be too satisfied sucking a hose. When I need water, I like to glug.

Summit
03-22-2008, 21:34
There is some rather feeble evidence that it clogs up the brain -- causing dementia.So that's my problem . . . I've used an aluminum-based anti-perspirant for many years, I think . . . oh, I can't remember . . . what the heck! :eek:

Tipi Walter
03-22-2008, 21:37
I recently had to upgrade the old Nalgene lexans and went with Sigg instead. Coated with some kind of secret non-toxic lining in a light aluminum bottle.

Results? Need a small funnel to transfer boiling water from a pot.
Very very hot outside surface.
Will freeze up quicker but easier to keep warm in the tent(against body, wrapped in gloves, etc
Fits better in my "nalgene" side pack pockets.

Philippe
03-22-2008, 21:42
I thought my man breasts were getting big because I was getting fat. Now I find out I just have to give up my nalgene bottles. Good deal. I'm using two schwepps tonic bottles (they have a wider mouths) from now on. I can't give up my Leki poles though, they were a retirement present from my colleagues. Wait! Maybe I could buy some Wal-mart poles. No, darn it. They're made in China. Bad for the balance of trade. All this is so confusing.

quasarr
03-22-2008, 21:45
Don't forget the hormones in the meat :eek:

Summit
03-22-2008, 21:50
I thought my man breasts were getting big because I was getting fat.Red Nalgene bottles reduce man-boobs! :D :p

Tin Man
03-22-2008, 21:54
Don't forget the hormones in the meat :eek:

Milk causes cancer. So does just about everything else if you have too much of it. Everything in moderation, including Nalgene.

Bunch of worry warts need to live and not worry so much. But don't forget your fruits and veggies.

warraghiyagey
03-22-2008, 21:54
Beater, I think you answered your own question. She has a nalgene bottle.
Dump her. Simple.

Toolshed
03-22-2008, 21:55
I've been drinking from Nalgenes for 2 decades. I have noticed in that time my p*n*s shrunk 2 inches and I am now thinking of becoming a democrat.......:-?:-?

Tin Man
03-22-2008, 22:00
I've been drinking from Nalgenes for 2 decades. I have noticed in that time my p*n*s shrunk 2 inches and I am now thinking of becoming a democrat.......:-?:-?

Becoming a democrat? :confused: That ain't because your pee thing is shrinking, that would be because your brain is shrinking. ;) Go easy on the Nalgene.

Darwin again
03-22-2008, 22:02
Here is plenty of reading about BPA. I would call it a "myth buster."

http://www.nalgene-outdoor.com/technical/bpaInfo.html

The link is FROM Nalgene, duh.

That's like asking Avent or Playtex if polycarbonate baby bottles they make are that made with BPA are safe.

"Our products are absolutely safe and harmless!"
Yep: http://slackerpedia.com/british-lard/images/couple.gif

Summit
03-22-2008, 22:03
I recently had to upgrade the old Nalgene lexans and went with Sigg instead. Coated with some kind of secret non-toxic lining in a light aluminum bottle.

Results? Need a small funnel to transfer boiling water from a pot.
Very very hot outside surface.
Will freeze up quicker but easier to keep warm in the tent(against body, wrapped in gloves, etc
Fits better in my "nalgene" side pack pockets.I need a wide-mouth bottle. I mix Crystal Lite ice tea every day backpacking and occasionally powdered milk for cereal. Can't stand trying to pour the contents into a narrow mouth bottle.

Summit
03-22-2008, 22:09
The link is FROM Nalgene, duh.

That's like asking Avent or Playtex if polycarbonate baby bottles they make are that made with BPA are safe.

"Our products are absolutely safe and harmless!"
Yep: http://slackerpedia.com/british-lard/images/couple.gifYou must not have bothered reading the article! They (Nalgene) provide links to FDA and other health concern/testing organizations' documents. I wouldn't have given Nalgene's page any credibility if all they had done is made a statement like "We feel warm and fuzzy about our product!" You might want to read some of the articles before drawing baseless conclusions. ;)

Tin Man
03-22-2008, 22:10
You must not have bothered reading the article! They (Nalgene) provide links to FDA and other health concern/testing organizations' documents. I wouldn't have given Nalgene's page any credibility if all they had done is made a statement like "We feel warm and fuzzy about our product!" You might want to read some of the articles before drawing baseless conclusions. ;)

Why should he start now? :D

Flush2wice
03-22-2008, 22:17
I just read this article in Time Magazine. Is this what you guys are talking about?
http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1722266,00.html
I've never owned a nalgene bottle. I've always used Gatorade or soda bottles. They're cheaper and they're full when you buy em. Soda bottle harboring bacteria is bs as far as hiking is concerned.

Summit
03-22-2008, 22:35
So are you saying Gatorade/soda bottle plastics are safe while Nalgene isn't? My point, which Darwin completely missed, is that Nalgene isn't trying to hide anything. The links they provide are the who's who in the BPA watchdog world. ;)

Flush2wice
03-22-2008, 22:56
So are you saying Gatorade/soda bottle plastics are safe while Nalgene isn't? My point, which Darwin completely missed, is that Nalgene isn't trying to hide anything. The links they provide are the who's who in the BPA watchdog world. ;)
I'm just saying that the reason they gave for soda bottles (polyethylene terephthalate, or PET) being unsafe is that the little mouth and the screw top make it hard to clean. When you drink, your mouth leaves a film that harbors bacteria. The reason Nalgene (polycarbonate) may be unsafe is the synthetic estrogen it releases (particularly when it's filled with boiling or hot water). This article is about normal daily use. My wife takes 2 Nalgene bottles of water to work every day (right from our spring that flows out of Roan Mountain I might add. :sunBest water you ever had.). They go in the dishwasher at night. Backpacking isn't normal use. When you go backpacking and you don't sterilize anything, just maybe give it a rinse. So the mouth film thing is just as bad on a nalgene as on a soda bottle.

BradMT
03-22-2008, 23:20
My new girlfriend has a Nalgene bottle. I don't know how to bring it up without compromising the relationship. But at least she doesn't have any north face apparel.

Those that worry about NOT BEING SEEN in NF apparel are the same as those that worry about BEING SEEN in NF apparel...

Summit
03-22-2008, 23:46
Flush2wice,

Gotcha! I NEVER add hot or boiling water to my Nalgene bottle . . . just good ol' cold mountain stream water. I drink my hot coffee from my anodized aluminum JetBoil cup! :eek:

Flush2wice
03-23-2008, 00:00
Flush2wice,

Gotcha! I NEVER add hot or boiling water to my Nalgene bottle . . . just good ol' cold mountain stream water. I drink my hot coffee from my anodized aluminum JetBoil cup! :eek:
My concern would be
#1 boiled water for baby bottles. We raised 2 kids and the docs said boil the water since it's from a spring. Most bottles these days are made of the same stuff as Nalgene.
#B Hikers who purify by boiling, then pour hot water into the Nalgene. I've even heard of using the Nalgene as by pot a putting it on the stove.

Tin Man
03-23-2008, 00:04
My concern would be
#1 boiled water for baby bottles. We raised 2 kids and the docs said boil the water since it's from a spring. Most bottles these days are made of the same stuff as Nalgene.
Hikers who purify by boiling, then pour hot water into the Nalgene. I've even heard of using the Nalgene as a pot a putting it on the stove.

I think my coffee cup is Nalgene. How long I got?

Flush2wice
03-23-2008, 00:10
I think my coffee cup is Nalgene. How long I got?
I think your pms'ing already. It's all downhill until your hysterectomy.

Tin Man
03-23-2008, 01:21
I think your pms'ing already. It's all downhill until your hysterectomy.

Maybe if you stopped rubbing your eye while picking your nose you will see less pms and more reality. :D

Toolshed
03-23-2008, 01:25
Becoming a democrat? :confused: That ain't because your pee thing is shrinking, that would be because your brain is shrinking. ;) Go easy on the Nalgene.
Now Wait just a cotton-picking minute here!! My wife says thats what I think with. :sun

Foyt20
03-23-2008, 12:51
It's hopeless, I tell you. My boyfriend is hooked on his nalgene bottles. He's convinced that nothing else could possibly carry water. Everyone knows that the minute you step into the woods, all your stuff immediately breaks and the only way to prevent this is for gear to be bombproof and/or made by North Face. We've gone on several overnight hikes together and he's seen my 1L Aquafinas in action, but still he refuses to believe.

He's also certain that no garment could possibly repel water unless it's called "North Face Gore Tex Venting Expensive Supreme With Extra Zippers."

He's otherwise thrifty, I don't understand :( hopeless, I tell you!!

Let Him HHOH? ;)

quasarr
03-23-2008, 15:13
ha! if I did that I wouldn't be a very good meddling girlfriend would I ;) everyone knows you should leave a man better than you found him :D

next mission - teach him how keep the bathroom clean :eek::eek:

GGS2
03-23-2008, 15:49
ha! if I did that I wouldn't be a very good meddling girlfriend would I ;) everyone knows you should leave a man better than you found him :D

So... As soon as he's bathroom broken, you're off to greener pastures?

Feral Bill
03-23-2008, 17:46
So... As soon as he's bathroom broken, you're off to greener pastures?

No silly. They die of old age.

mudhead
03-23-2008, 18:32

Ask him to clean the bathroom so you can take a bubble bath. Then smile.

Darwin again
03-23-2008, 21:11
You must not have bothered reading the article! They (Nalgene) provide links to FDA and other health concern/testing organizations' documents. I wouldn't have given Nalgene's page any credibility if all they had done is made a statement like "We feel warm and fuzzy about our product!" You might want to read some of the articles before drawing baseless conclusions. ;)

BPA is in the plastic bottles.
Not baseless. Just a fact.
Believe what you will.

quasarr
03-23-2008, 21:19
Ask him to clean the bathroom so you can take a bubble bath. Then smile.

LOL good suggestion. unfortunately with this drought we're having in NC I can't in good conscience take a bath, it wastes water :(

GGS2 and Feral Bill, I'm afraid proper bathroom training might be years/decades/never! I'm way ahead of the game though, he already puts the seat down. :banana:banana

saimyoji
03-24-2008, 09:02
LOL good suggestion. unfortunately with this drought we're having in NC I can't in good conscience take a bath, it wastes water :(

Tell him you're going to sacrifice to HE can take a nice relaxing bath. Plug up the drain while you shower, then offer him the "bubble bath." :cool:

Mags
03-24-2008, 10:30
Give him this bottle instead! :)

http://store.theonion.com/images/get/143

jhick
03-24-2008, 12:48
nalgenes
hiking poles
hammocks
alcohol stoves
gaiters

i just love the people that judge anyone based on these...

quasarr
03-24-2008, 17:27
Give him this bottle instead! :)

knowing him that canvas tent would be his next gear purchase!!! :eek: