PDA

View Full Version : Help with Gear List (The Right One)

mts4602
03-23-2008, 00:00
This is my gear list for a winter trip...summer would be basically the same minus a lot of the clothes. It seems to be around 30 pounds with 2L of water and without food.

My problem is, I don't know how to get it any lighter. Also, I'm looking to getting the Nimbus Ozone b/c my pack is around 5lbs, but I don't see how I can fit everything in it. My pack right now is 4000c and if I don't hang anything on the outside of my pack I can BARLY fit my food in my pack...it will fit, but barly. The Ozone is 3800 I believe?

Backpack Kelty Santa Fe 4000Tent-MSR Hubba Hubba (split weight)Sleeping Bag Montbell SS DH #1Sleeping Pad Thermarest Prolite 4Stove Jet BoilWater Filter Katahdin HikerHead lamp2L MSR BagNalgene BottleClothesboxerssocks shortslightweight long underwear bottomexpedition wgt. Lg underwear bottomunder armor topexpedition wgt. Lg underwear topt-shirtfleece pantsRain pantsRain JacketInsulated JacketLight weight glovesHeavy weight snow glovesBalaclavaknit hatBootsHygiene contact caseglassessmall solution bottlemedicinetooth pastetooth brushToilet paperMisc50 ft. Parachute Cordcompassmatches/lighterear plugssmall notepadpensmall first aid kitcamp towelstuff sackskeyswallet cell phone

mts4602
03-23-2008, 00:00
ok, i give up....please delete this MODS

Appalachian Tater
03-23-2008, 00:09
Hit "enter/return" after each item.

shaggy2004
03-23-2008, 00:45
Yeah, trying to lighten up your pack can be pretty stressful. Basically just ask yourself what you really really need... which I know isn't very helpful advice at this point. I know everyones pack is a little different but there are a lot of other posts on here about the very same question. Also, I don't know if it would be of much assistance, but I've got a couple of recent blog posts on my website that might kinda help answer your question or at least give you some things to think about packing or not packing. hikefar.com if you want to check it out. But yeah, enter/return so we can make out the list a bit better and I'm sure plenty of people on here would love to narrow down your gear.

budforester
03-23-2008, 08:09
ok, i give up....please delete this MODS

Matt,

It saves me some frustration if I type my posts in Word or Notepad, get it like I want it, then copy and paste it into the box.

P. S. I really like the Edit button, too.

mts4602
03-23-2008, 09:56
I did hit enter after each one. Also, WB says I cannot edit my posts.

The enter button might not have worked b/c I copied it in from excel.

quasarr
03-23-2008, 10:04
well I don't know which thread is the real one so here you go!! :D I fixed it for you :D

mts4602 gear list:

Backpack- Kelty Santa Fe 4000
Tent- MSR Hubba HubbaSleeping
Bag- Montbell SS. DH #1
Sleeping Pad- Thermarest Prolite 4 Full length

Stove -Jet Boil
Water Filter- Katahdin Hiker
Head lamp- Black Diamond Spot
2L MSR Bag
Nalgene Bottle

Clothes
boxers
2 pairsocks
3 pairshorts
lightweight long underwear bottom
expedition wgt. Lg underwear bottom
under armor top
expedition wgt. Lg underwear top
t-shirtfleece pants

Marmot Rain pants
Montbell PeakRain Jacket
Montbell PeakInsulated Jacket
Montbell Thermawrap Parka

Light weight gloves
Heavy weight snow gloves
Balaclava
knit hat

Boots- Hi-tech

Hygiene
contact case
glasses
small solution bottle
medicine
tooth paste
tooth brush
Toilet paper

Misc
50 ft. Parachute Cord
compass
matches/lighter
ear plugs
small notepad
pen
small first aid kit
camp towel
stuff sacks
keys
wallet
cell phone

Seeker
03-23-2008, 18:03
thanks quasarr. that made it a lot easier to read. and now i see there aren't any weights posted.

dude/tte. in order to help, we need to know what each thing weighs. so get ye to a scale, weigh each item, and we'll go from there. the post office lobby will have a good one (just be prepared for some weird looks.) 'i think it weighs about 30 lbs' means you don't really know what any of it weighs... take care of ounces, and the pounds will take care of themselves. it's micromanagerial, but it works. an excel spreadsheet is a good way to track it.

Appalachian Tater
03-23-2008, 18:05
2 liters of water weighs about 4.4 pounds, plus the container.

bigcranky
03-23-2008, 19:39
That's really not a bad list for winter hiking. A couple of things:

1. It's possible to save a few pounds with the pack. I like my Six Moons Designs Starlite b/c it can carry my winter load -- which is mostly a bulk problem, not a weight problem. It's just under 2 pounds empty, and can carry 30+ pounds in comfort.

2. You could swap out a couple of things. Aqua Mira is <4 ounces, saves half a pound over the water filter. Platypus bags and Nalgene Cantene bags are much lighter than MSR Dromodary bags and Nalgene bottles. The jet boil is decent, but heavier than it needs to be for just boiling water.

3. Take a hard look at all the "little stuff" in your personal kit. I was amazed at how much it all weighed when I actually totaled up the junk in my ditty bag.

Seeker is right, though, it really helps to get a small scale and weigh everything. I got a digital scale that weighs in grams at a kitchen supply place for $30. Turns out to be very useful in the kitchen when I'm cooking -- go figure.

cfiffpm
03-29-2008, 20:20
newb question: why the earplugs? Just for snorers in the shelters?

mts4602
03-30-2008, 00:13

Yep

I don't think I'd ever use them...my dad snores like a beast so I'm used to it, but they don't weight nothing.

Panzer1
03-30-2008, 00:15

yes, I would guess that's right. I've heard many stories a snorers in shelters that were amazing.

For hygiene I would add nail clipper, small bar of soap, one or two band aids,
something for blisters like moleskin/ducktape.
For stove I don't see spoon, fork, knife.
Rain cover for backpack.
small pocket knife like a swiss army knife.
maps and guide book.
watch with alarm.
camera (optional)
trekking poles (optional)

Panzer

hopefulhiker
03-30-2008, 08:26
You could go with a one man tent.
You can use an alcohol stove
You could save a couple of pounds....

Panzer1
03-30-2008, 17:23
is it the MSR Hubba Hubba (http://www.rei.com/product/762727) which weights 4 pounds 6 ounces???

It looks like it has plenty of space, but is a little on the heavy side for one person. Would be a good tent for 2 people. You could save 1 or 2 pounds by going to a smaller tent.

Panzer

Panzer1
03-30-2008, 19:34
I carry a light weight wallet too when on the trail. I don't like using zip locks for a wallet because I don't want people to be able to see everything I have in there. I also carry keys to get back into the car and house.

Panzer

mts4602
03-30-2008, 23:05
UPDATE:

It's supposed to say 2 Pairs of boxers and 3 Pairs of socks...Not 3 pairs of shorts.

Also, It is the Hubba Hubba, but that is b/c I am ALWAYS with someone else so I split the weight of the tent. On a thru hike I would carry a 1 person tent.

The wallet. yeah I need to just take the stuff out of it that I need...the keys (my car, house ect.)

Wags
04-01-2008, 00:15
i find a fishing license holder w/ a strip or 2 of duct tape over the top makes a nice lightweight wallet. :D