PDA

View Full Version : Places to "Cheat" on the Appalachian Trail!

highway
03-23-2008, 11:07
I was wondering just how many places exist to "Cheat" on the Appalachian Trail?

Well, what I mean is, places where one could take a blue blaze trail so as to bypass larger portions of the white blazed one. I have been pondering a posting I read a few weeks ago (by Max Patch, as I recall) that went like this:

"Hike the 3 mile Kimsey Creek trail at Deep Gap & bypass ~ 20 AT miles. But I would only do that as a last resort as you would miss Standing Indian and Albert Mountains."

I was amazed to learn that a side trail existed whereby someone (certainly not a purist by any means) could bypass 20 or so miles of the white-blazed AT by just taking a 3 mile blue-blazed one. From looking at my "Appalachian Pages" guide, this appears to be so, and, if one exists, likely there are more. I am not advocating that one "cheat" in this manner, but knowing where they exist might prove useful to some that might become forced to resort to them.

Red Hat
03-23-2008, 11:10
I don't advocate "cheating" but there are a number of blue blaze trails used for bad weather. Some of them are actually old AT trail where the new trail goes higher and over more rock top with views and the old trail stays a little lower without.

Flush2wice
03-23-2008, 11:11
No such thing as cheating.

Lone Wolf
03-23-2008, 11:14

Well, what I mean is, places where one could take a blue blaze trail so as to bypass larger portions of the white blazed one. I have been pondering a posting I read a few weeks ago (by Max Patch, as I recall) that went like this:

"Hike the 3 mile Kimsey Creek trail at Deep Gap & bypass ~ 20 AT miles. But I would only do that as a last resort as you would miss Standing Indian and Albert Mountains."

I was amazed to learn that a side trail existed whereby someone (certainly not a purist by any means) could bypass 20 or so miles of the white-blazed AT by just taking a 3 mile blue-blazed one. From looking at my "Appalachian Pages" guide, this appears to be so, and, if one exists, likely there are more. I am not advocating that one "cheat" in this manner, but knowing where they exist might prove useful to some that might become forced to resort to them.

i didn't know hiking was a test. i'm the king of blue-blazing

emerald
03-23-2008, 11:15
From looking at my "Appalachian Pages" guide, this appears to be so, and, if one exists, likely there are more. I am not advocating that one "cheat" in this manner, but knowing where they exist might prove useful to some that might become forced to resort to them.

Order yourself a set of maps (http://www.appalachiantrail.org/site/c.jkLXJ8MQKtH/b.786995/k.C95F/Guidebooks_and_Maps.htm) from ATC and find out!

saimyoji
03-23-2008, 11:16
what you see as cheating others see as choices.

you can slice off the Pinnacle by blue blazing up out of Windsor Furnace.

Almost There
03-23-2008, 11:20
Blue blaze early and often!!!

Grampie
03-23-2008, 11:37

Who are you cheating? :eek: No one but yourself.:D

Lone Wolf
03-23-2008, 11:39
only anal turds with "patch & certificate" syndrome call walking on non-white blazed trails cheating

Almost There
03-23-2008, 11:43
only anal turds with "patch & certificate" syndrome call walking on non-white blazed trails cheating

Hey...I have a patch that covers up an unseemly hole in the seat of a pair of pants....and a certificate that gets me a free pizza with the purchase of a pizza of equal or higher price.:D

highway
03-23-2008, 11:59
Order yourself a set of maps from ATC and find out!

If I did, then I would know but nobody else would. The thread was considering that perhaps some others might have an interest to know

highway
03-23-2008, 12:01
Who are you cheating? :eek: No one but yourself.:D

Please note that the word "cheat" is in quotes.........Do you know what that implies?

mudhead
03-23-2008, 12:05
Please note that the word "cheat" is in quotes.........Do you know what that implies?

Substitute "shortcut."

People seem to be wound pretty tightly of late. C'mon warm weather!

emerald
03-23-2008, 12:05
Order yourself a set of maps from ATC and find out!

If I did, then I would know but nobody else would.

Come on, be a sport. Order a round of maps for everyone!

Cookerhiker
03-23-2008, 12:28
The most obvious first example I can think of is in VT approaching Rt.4/Sherbourne Pass. The old AT/LT is now a blue-blaze but IMHO a better hike than the new WB.

Also in VT, the old AT which used to bypass Stratton Mt. is now a blue blaze.

Grampie
03-23-2008, 12:32
Like it has been said many times before: "Hike your own hike." Most folks just don't give a damn where you hike or how you get there. Do what ever you want, take a blue blaze or yellow blaze if that's what you want to do. Just get out there and hike.
Hundreds of folks read these posts, comment, disagree but never put the boots to the trail. Most of us who have thru-hiked have experienced all kinds of folks out there. You soon have to realize that the "Hike your own Hike" adage makes all the sence in the world.:-?

emerald
03-23-2008, 12:38
highway, you ever yellow-blazed?

StarLyte
03-23-2008, 12:50
You rascals! :eek:

Bearpaw
03-23-2008, 12:51
I've heard the Mau-Har Trail in Central Virginia is a very pretty section that bypasses 8 or 9 AT miles for 3 blue-blazed miles with waterfalls.

Bilko
03-23-2008, 12:56
The old Kimsey Creek trail was the old AT. The AT is constantly changing. The route Grandma Gatewood, Myron H. Avery, Gene Espy, Earl Shaffer and other early hikers is completely different than the trail today. I have been section hiking the trail since '94. There are many new shelters and new relocations since I started my hikes.

I like to collect old AT guides and have several from the 60's and 70's. The trail is different today. The ATC used to have the AT follow many paved roads. In some sections you were to hike 10-12 miles along paved roads. Over the years the ATC has acquired more land which means less time or no time on paved roads. The old timers actually liked hiking on some of the back roads where they would often talk with the locals, sleep in old barns and get an occasional free meal or ice cream.

I think there are very few people that actually see every white blaze on the trail. A lot start out with that goal, but after awhile the long green tunnel gives them tunnel vision. A shorten side trip is usually not considered cheating.

The best way to see or use a shorten side trip or blue-blaze would be to look at a map of the section you are hiking. I doubt that you will find many that would save you twenty miles by hiking three. Just the same, HYOH.

Hikerhead
03-23-2008, 13:05
I've heard the Mau-Har Trail in Central Virginia is a very pretty section that bypasses 8 or 9 AT miles for 3 blue-blazed miles with waterfalls.

It is pretty being that it climbs up beside the cascading creek. It's a good climb though. It also misses the great views from Three Ridge.

Using the Mau-Har and AT makes a great loop for a nice day hike.

Lone Wolf
03-23-2008, 13:09
It is pretty being that it climbs up beside the cascading creek. It's a good climb though. It also misses the great views from Three Ridge.

Using the Mau-Har and AT makes a great loop for a nice day hike.

but on a thru-hike, views are a dime-a-dozen. the mau-har trail is much better than the AT. great swimming hole along it

CrumbSnatcher
03-23-2008, 13:10
i didn't know hiking was a test. i'm the king of blue-blazing
i love this thread,very interesting! i have hiked the entire trail both ways,it was very important to me on my first trek to hike the white blazes no slacking.........hikes after that, well "MY NAME IS HEATH DAVIDSON and i have blueblazed"and loved it. its not always about cheating,or shortcuts! hell some blueblazes are longer. blue blazes are also bad weather routes or new views man. on my last thru i had a few friends watch bear(dog) up the trail.(she was 10 at the time) that way she could take some time off but stay with me on my journey. we'd hike 10-12 miles days togeather and on her days off i'd hike 0-47 miles a day! i never blue blazed without her,but hikng with her i always carried her food/gear and we blue blazed sometimes. in 2002 we took the kimsey creek trail down to standing indian campground for two reasons #1 blues follow creeks quite often. the dog and I love the water/creek trails #2 to shorten her day. the next day Hotrod and myself went back to do the 20 mile loop around on the A.T. i've met alot of people over the years on the A.T.and some of the finest blue blaze, dont forget HYOH and dont judge a book by its cover.

Toolshed
03-23-2008, 13:11
There is a rather longish section that goes across PA State Game Lands(maybe 10 miles or so over near the Sand Spring Trail), as well as other spots in PA where a tower road or a game road runs parallel with the trail anywhere from within 100 yards to 1/2 mile away. I found myself on one Game Road about 5 years back when my feet were hurting me and marveled at walking out in the open instead of under the dense green canopy. I have since gone back a few times and walked the trail section, not worrying about cheating, but you get a beautiful day and sometimes it is much nicer to step out of the woods and walk along meadows, old roads and such.

Lone Wolf
03-23-2008, 13:14
Ther is a rather longish section that goes across PA State Game Lands(maybe 10 miles or so over near the Sand Spring Trail), as well as other spots in PA where a tower road or a game road runs parellel with the trail anywhere from within 100 yeards to 1/2 mile away. I found myself on one Game Road about 5 years back when my feet were hurting me and marveled at walking out in the open instead of under the dense green canopy. I hav esince gone back a few times and walked the trail section, not worrying about cheating, but you get a beautiful day and sometimes it is much nicer to step out of the woods and walk along meadows, old roads and such.

one of my favorites. it goes from PA 183 almost into Port Clinton

emerald
03-23-2008, 14:01
Be advised, PGC's service road, portions of which were once the AT can be a scorcher at midday in summer. Hike it early or late in the day or break it up by staying at Eagle's Nest Shelter. Refer to your map.;)

In the 1st 2 weeks of June, it's a good place to view mountain laurel, Pennsylvania's state flower. It's also a pleasant walk late in the day, when wood thrushes and frogs which use the roadside ditches can be heard.

hammock engineer
03-23-2008, 15:09
I don't understand the big deal. Hike whether you feel like. Go whichever way you will enjoy. There is some great stuff off the AT. I enjoyed each way I took. Forest roads that the AT followed and crossed repeatedly were the best.

I haven't hike any other long trails, but from everything I hear the AT is the only one this is a big deal one. Anyone know why?

camojack
03-23-2008, 15:15
Isn't "anal turds" kind of redundant? :confused:

Pink blazing can be cheating too... :eek:

Almost There
03-23-2008, 15:16
I don't understand the big deal. Hike whether you feel like. Go whichever way you will enjoy. There is some great stuff off the AT. I enjoyed each way I took. Forest roads that the AT followed and crossed repeatedly were the best.

I haven't hike any other long trails, but from everything I hear the AT is the only one this is a big deal one. Anyone know why?

Because of all the Purist Schmecks that hike the AT vs. the other ones.:rolleyes:

spunky
03-23-2008, 15:17

Yeah, it bypasses Three Ridges. From what I understand it used to be the AT and went past a very pretty waterfall. I'll admit it was tempting standing at that junction seeing the difference in mileage and knowing that you were going to end up at the same place on the trail.

CrumbSnatcher
03-23-2008, 15:25

whether its an old forest service road or blue blaze or the old road walks,its cool to see the old blazes along the way. i heard their called brown blazes because the paint is fading. back to the color of the tree or telephone pole,etc. talked to a few that live on the old streches,had dinner and beers with a few. they also miss the trail going by their houses.i've heard so many great stories. i get a kick out of brown blazing knowing that might be the way all the greats came thru.HYOH

rickb
03-23-2008, 15:34

I think it has to do with the fact that marking and protecting every foot of the AT was always of paramount importance to the ATC. The idea of having even a small break in the Trail was not acceptable.

As such, when it came time for the ATC to do something fun, they decided that their "2000 Mile" award would celebrate hiking all of the AT. Sort of makes sense when you think about it.

From the beginning they didn't have a long-distance hikers mindset. Even to this day, they never gave a backpacking award, and stress that their recognition has nothing to do with carrying a pack, or thru hiking. Or to put it another way, each 2000 Miler Award celebrated the Trail as much as the person applying for it.

But what happened? Thru hikers wanted some memento to put on their wall and sew on their caps. But there was no hiking award. So what did thru hikers who had hiked from Maine to Georgia a bit more creatively, or with a few smallish yellow blazes do?

Simple, they decided to adopt the ATC's award for thier own. I don't know why so many cared, but it is what it is. In any event, to get this so-called recognition, many of these hikers sign an application and send it in, even if they don't meet the requirments set forth in black and white by the ATC. Meaning the part about hiking all of the Trail.

Why does anyone care? They probably shouldn't. But any BS has more to do with that damned award than anything else. The ATC would be wise to do away with it.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
03-23-2008, 16:31

...... any BS has more to do with that damned award than anything else. The ATC would be wise to do away with it.I feel the reason this happens on the AT and not on other trails is the ATC award and the wording that accompanies it - the whole idea of hiking on a single path is just too archaic to consider IMO (YMMV).

The corridor concept is coming east and will eventually become the norm - until then HYOH and don't let anyone - certainly not the ATC - tell you what your hike is. Just blow off the ATC's patch - it isn't worth it to allow someone else tell you what your hike is.

Lone Wolf
03-23-2008, 16:32
just buy one and be poser like me

Almost There
03-23-2008, 16:39
Yeah, it bypasses Three Ridges. From what I understand it used to be the AT and went past a very pretty waterfall. I'll admit it was tempting standing at that junction seeing the difference in mileage and knowing that you were going to end up at the same place on the trail.

It was the old AT, and the waterfall wasn't anything special to look at this past winter anyways, take your pick which one you want to do, from some people's perspective neither is an easy hike.

BTW, speaking of that area, I prefer to hike the Blue Ridge Parkway when I hit the area, I think it's from near Black Gap down the road till the trail leaves the parallel for awhile(6 or 8 miles about), it hooks back up with the Parkway again after the Tye River and you can walk it all the way to Rockfish Gap....I like the views better, no views from the AT along this stretch where it parallels...but to each his own!

Frolicking Dinosaurs
just buy one and be poser like mehttp://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b47/lowcarbscoop/Frequently%20used/Dinolaughing.jpg

You are far less of a poser than the MBA's from the ATC

Almost There

I'm just gonna steal one off of someone's pack!;)

CocamoJoe
03-23-2008, 16:57
The only place I 'cheated' on my section-hike last year, from Springer Mountain to Damascus, was along Charlies Bunion in Great Smoky Mountains National Park. I don't consider this cheating at all, though. The Appalachian Trail went straight behind the 'bunion', and the spur trail went to the left, affording some of the most magnificent views in the national park. I'm not a purist enough to backtrack to the split, but went ahead to where the spur-trail rejoined the Appalachian Trail...

Sleepy the Arab
03-23-2008, 16:57
Kimsey Creek Trail N.C - It's nice. Real nice. If you're injured, or not obsessed with the white blazes, go for it. The only thing notable about Albert Mountain is the rock scramble that is the toughest section south of Lehigh Gap. And it's only .2 miles long. The only bad part is the roadwalk at the end.

Iron Mt. Trail, and Pine Mountain Trail (Va) - Skip a little of, or all of, the Grayson Highlands. Who needs to see smelly ponies?

Mau-Har Trail (Va) - Yeah, it cuts mileage in half around 3 Ridges, but I found it ungodly steep. Waterfalls are overrated anyway.

Pico Peak (Vt) - Take the direct route to The Inn at Long Trail. I haven't recognized the reroute as the official whiteblazed trail, and never will. Not only that, they used to allow hikers a free ride on the nearby alpine slide. Anyone know if they still do that?

Tuckerman Ravine Trail (N.H.) - Tough choice. You trade the traverse of the Presi's for the equally impressive bowl of the ravine. On the other hand, you will have to force your way through a conga line of tourists until Hermit Lake.

shelterbuilder
03-23-2008, 17:06
Be advised, this PGC service road, portions of which were once the AT can be a scorcher at midday in summer. Hike it early or late in the day or break it up by staying at Eagle's Nest Shelter. Refer to your map.;)

In the 1st 2 weeks of June, it's a good place to view mountain laurel, Pennsylvania's state flower. It's also a pleasant walk late in the day, when wood thrushes and frogs which use the roadside ditches can be heard.

Yes, it's a VERY HOT walk on a summer's mid-day. It, too, used to be the old AT route, and was changed for this very reason - it's too stinkin' hot for miles and miles - especially when the NOBO's are coming through. BRING WATER!!

In the Fall, it's an interesting walk - there are many small american chestnut trees lining the road for miles on either side. Every so often, the Game Commission comes through and cuts them - and everything else - down for cover for the game, and to maintain the road as a fire-break, but in some years past, many of these trees would produce chestnut burrs.

Lone Wolf
03-23-2008, 17:08
Yes, it's a VERY HOT walk on a summer's mid-day. It, too, used to be the old AT route, and was changed for this very reason - it's too stinkin' hot for miles and miles - especially when the NOBO's are coming through. BRING WATER!!

In the Fall, it's an interesting walk - there are many small american chestnut trees lining the road for miles on either side. Every so often, the Game Commission comes through and cuts them - and everything else - down for cover for the game, and to maintain the road as a fire-break, but in some years past, many of these trees would produce chestnut burrs.

it was changed because in order to get funded the route had to be off all roads where possible. nothing to do with being hot.

shelterbuilder
03-23-2008, 17:13
it was changed because in order to get funded the route had to be off all roads where possible. nothing to do with being hot.

NAH! I know the guy who did this one - he prefers to walk on rocks in the shade! :D

Lone Wolf
03-23-2008, 17:19
NAH! I know the guy who did this one - he prefers to walk on rocks in the shade! :D

nope. the forest service mandated it

shelterbuilder
03-23-2008, 17:27
nope. the forest service mandated it

Even though we deal with NPS up here instead of USFS, I'll let it go....

Lone Wolf
03-23-2008, 17:36
local maintainers can't just dictate where the trail route goes

CrumbSnatcher
03-23-2008, 17:39
Kimsey Creek Trail N.C - It's nice. Real nice. If you're injured, or not obsessed with the white blazes, go for it. The only thing notable about Albert Mountain is the rock scramble that is the toughest section south of Lehigh Gap. And it's only .2 miles long. The only bad part is the roadwalk at the end.

Iron Mt. Trail, and Pine Mountain Trail (Va) - Skip a little of, or all of, the Grayson Highlands. Who needs to see smelly ponies?

Mau-Har Trail (Va) - Yeah, it cuts mileage in half around 3 Ridges, but I found it ungodly steep. Waterfalls are overrated anyway.

Pico Peak (Vt) - Take the direct route to The Inn at Long Trail. I haven't recognized the reroute as the official whiteblazed trail, and never will. Not only that, they used to allow hikers a free ride on the nearby alpine slide. Anyone know if they still do that?

Tuckerman Ravine Trail (N.H.) - Tough choice. You trade the traverse of the Presi's for the equally impressive bowl of the ravine. On the other hand, you will have to force your way through a conga line of tourists until Hermit Lake. you can blue blaze from abol bridge straight to millinocket,ME. SKIPPING KATAHDIN. (theres many more) I AGREE WITH YOU SLEEPY ON THE REROUTE BY PICO PEAK. LONG LIVE THE ALPINE SLIDE. great post sleepy. i'd hike with you anytime. ready for another A.T.thru.

Lone Wolf
03-23-2008, 17:58
The only thing notable about Albert Mountain is the rock scramble that is the toughest section south of Lehigh Gap. And it's only .2 miles long. The only bad part is the roadwalk at the end.

huh? that's not tough at all. and what roadwalk?

reddog176
03-23-2008, 18:44
Howbout following the Virginia Creeper trail for the 11 or so miles north of Damascus. It follows a nice creek, and goes over several old Railroad trestles, pretty much runs right next to the AT, but it's an old rail bed so it's a nice grade.

Reddog176 aka Gadget

Lone Wolf
03-23-2008, 18:46
Howbout following the Virginia Creeper trail for the 11 or so miles north of Damascus. It follows a nice creek, and goes over several old Railroad trestles, pretty much runs right next to the AT, but it's an old rail bed so it's a nice grade.

Reddog176 aka Gadget

yup. be a fool not to walk the creeper. most "purists" bust thier cherry on this trail :)

neighbor dave
03-23-2008, 19:20
:-?the breakdown lane of I-95:-? GA>ME or ME>GA:-?

Dogwood
03-23-2008, 20:12
The Mau Har, Charles Bunion, and Gulf Cenaga(not sure if I spelled that right) in Maine R fantastic blue blazes if U like waterfalls and far reaching panoramic views. THOUGH, I CAUTION U TO RESPECT THESE ROUTES BECAUSE ALTHOUGH THEY PROVIDE BETTER SCENERY, IMO, THEY R SOMEWHAT FRAGILE TO ENVIRONMENTAL IMPACT(that's one of the reasons why the official white blazed AT route does not go along these blue blazes).

And, by all means HYOH, but remember, when, or if U do decide, to claim that U hiked the entire, all, complete AT these words DO have meaning!

Sleepy the Arab
03-23-2008, 20:23
you can blue blaze from abol bridge straight to millinocket,ME. SKIPPING KATAHDIN. (theres many more) I AGREE WITH YOU SLEEPY ON THE REROUTE BY PICO PEAK. LONG LIVE THE ALPINE SLIDE. great post sleepy. i'd hike with you anytime. ready for another A.T.thru.

I'm "retired."

*cough*

Blissful
03-23-2008, 20:26
Some also walk the Skyline Drive in SNP and on the Blue Ridge Parkway (esp Humpback Rocks area and avoid the 5 boring miles to Rockfish Gap) - much better views than just staying in the woods.

Sleepy the Arab
03-23-2008, 20:26
huh? that's not tough at all. and what roadwalk?

Oops. I meant, the only bad part of the Kimsey Creek trail is the roadwalk at the end.

And you're right. The scramble isn't that tough at all. It's just the toughest segment south of Lehigh Gap.

woodsy
03-23-2008, 20:28
Places to "Cheat" on the Appalachian Trail!

I ain't telling cause those are the routes/trails I use.

Lone Wolf
03-23-2008, 20:31
It's just the toughest segment south of Lehigh Gap.

it never made an impression on me. of course i'm a tough old jarhead with different standards.

mudhead
03-23-2008, 20:36
Places to "Cheat" on the Appalachian Trail!

Very wise.

Sleepy the Arab
03-23-2008, 23:40
it never made an impression on me. of course i'm a tough old jarhead with different standards.

I only recall it as such because that's what someone told me on my first thru. If I'd never heard that said, and someone pulled me aside and asked, "What's the toughest section of trail south of Lehigh Gap?" I wouldn't be able to answer. Hey, I grew up in the Whites - I've scrambled up tougher to find a place to squat. The trail is a veritable cakewalk until Pennsylvania. Doubly so for tough "old" jarheads.

Pokey2006
03-24-2008, 02:17
There must be some way to take a shortcut just north of Port Clinton. The trail takes a weird loop, and you end up spending half the day hiking just to end up a mile away from where you started. I remember being very irritated, and would have done a shortcut in a heartbeat if I knew there was one.

Seems to me there's a few places where you can cut out some miles in the White Mtns. I think Franconia Notch you can cut across the notch north of the AT and skip Liberty. You can also go from the peaks of the Presidentials straight into Gorham, cutting out all of the Wildcats and Carters, plus skipping Pinkham Notch altogether.

emerald
03-24-2008, 02:42
There must be some way to take a shortcut just north of Port Clinton. The trail takes a weird loop, and you end up spending half the day hiking just to end up a mile away from where you started. I remember being very irritated, and would have done a shortcut in a heartbeat if I knew there was one.

Guess you were looking for the Appalachian Pedestrian Interstate (API)!:rolleyes: If you wanted to see the a la carte menu, you should have bought a copy of Keystone Trails Association's Guide to the Appalachian Trail in Pennsylvania. Anyone who knows Hamburg's watershed could have provided directions.

Another useful publication available at no charge (free) to anyone who requests a copy is Yellow-blazer's Guide to the Appalachian Trail in Pennsylvania (http://www.dot.state.pa.us/Internet/bureaus/pdPlanRes.nsf/infoBPRCartoOTM?OpenForm). WhiteBlazers with high-speed Internet who want immediate gratification will be dazzled by clicking here (http://www.dot.state.pa.us/Internet/Bureaus/pdPlanRes.nsf/PlanningAndResearchHomePage?OpenFrameset&Frame=main&src=HomepageGID?readform).

The main yellow-blaze in the area mentioned is Interstate 78. There are yellow-blazed connectors designated PA followed by 2 or 3 numbers which can be used to bail by hikers who can't handle the AT in The Green Diamond. I78's faster, but I prefer the AT.;)

Please be advised, pedestrians are not permitted on I78 and you will be responsible for securing your own motorized transportation. If you can't do at least 65 mph, I'd advise against it.:eek:

Pokey2006
03-24-2008, 03:03
No, I had a map. Just not the right map.

Egads
03-24-2008, 06:34
yup. be a fool not to walk the creeper. most "purists" bust their cherry on this trail :)

I agree that it was tempting to hike, but it would make a better bike path.

Egads

rickb
03-24-2008, 06:48
There are a bunch of places where you can walk in to a town on a blue blaze, but then need to hitch back to the AT to continue hiking.

Or where you can hitch into town from the AT, but can then walk back to the AT on a blue blaze.

The blue blaze into/out of the north side of Straton, ME is nicer trail to/from the Bigalows than the AT.

Only down side is that you are not walking an unbroken line from ME to GA, if you find that sort of thing intriguing.

There are plenty of other places you can do this to make up time. For example, you can also hitch into Gorham from Pinkham Notch, then blue blaze out of town. This offers the advantage of putting you a couple days farther down the Trail, or affording you more time in town without losing touch with your pod who continue over the Carter Moriah range..

Jaybird
03-24-2008, 06:56
[QUOTE=highway;573797]I was wondering just how many places exist to "Cheat" on the Appalachian Trail?...............ETCETCETC................./QUOTE]

WOW! CHEATING???
Hell, you dont have to do ANY miles...& claim YOU DID!
i know a few of those hikers!:D

See ya'll OUT there...Apr 26th....NO CHEATING!

ki0eh
03-24-2008, 07:48
NOBO into Duncannon you can cut to the left between the pipeline and Cove Mtn shelter down to a woods road skipping shelter, view, and some rocks. Or you can still get the shelter and view by just staying straight when the AT turns right onto a PUD below the Hawk Rock view. (Well, it's not actually a true PUD but a roadaphobic corridor relocation.) Either way you come out at some large recycling bins that are mentioned as a potential parking spot on the Rohland site. SOBO you can try turning at the sign for recycling after crossing Sherman Creek but a map would help.

NOBO out of Duncannon there's a blue blaze to the left that cuts off a little bit of rocks and view in favor of... steeper with not quite as many rocks and no view.

dixicritter
03-24-2008, 07:51
When did they put up a score board on the trail? :rolleyes:

rafe
03-24-2008, 07:53
You are far less of a poser than the MBA's from the ATC

Once again, and since we're into TLAs at the moment, you're FOS, Dino. I could care less about LW, but you're heaping scorn on an organization that you know nothing about, and have done nothing to lead or to change.

rafe
03-24-2008, 07:55
Places to quote-unquote cheat on the AT: for sure, the Virginia Creeper Trail nobo out of Damascus, and thanks to LW for pointing me that way, back in the day.

Lone Wolf
03-24-2008, 08:06
Places to quote-unquote cheat on the AT: for sure, the Virginia Creeper Trail nobo out of Damascus, and thanks to LW for pointing me that way, back in the day.

there's 2 cafes out there now :)

woodsy
03-24-2008, 08:13
I personally have never cheated directly on the trail, but beside it? hmmmmm

emerald
03-26-2008, 00:45
When did they put up a score board on the trail? :rolleyes:

I don't believe scoreboards are permitted in Vermont and Maine.;)

emerald
03-26-2008, 01:48

I don't share the better places with everyone and I'll only share the best places with people who are worthy of them.

rafe
03-26-2008, 09:09
there's 2 cafes out there now :)

It was pleasant enough without 'em. Besides, I'd had my fill in Damascus. Overkill. :D

warren doyle
03-26-2008, 11:22
30,000+ miles of white blazes.

Toolshed
03-26-2008, 13:01
I thought you were a packsniffer...now I am confused ...:confused:
:D:D

Lone Wolf
03-26-2008, 13:02
same thing just different

jesse
03-26-2008, 13:32
Is it "cheating" to ford the Kennebec? Sorry, just couldn't stand to see such a great thread die.

Mags
03-26-2008, 14:11
Is it "cheating" to ford the Kennebec? Sorry, just couldn't stand to see such a great thread die.

"Perhaps Ford can ford the river in a Ford Explorer? (with a red blaze, natch.)

I, for one, could not afford the Ford Explorer. So I may have to ford it. Unless Ford (Harrison) picks me up in his Ford (Explorer). Ford can afford the Ford to ford."

Lone Wolf
03-26-2008, 14:29

no but taking a canoe ride makes you a major weenie

emerald
03-26-2008, 14:40
Wolf, it's blue-blazing, you know it and I'm not responding if you reply.

dixicritter
03-26-2008, 14:42
I thought it was called hiking. Silly me.

Lone Wolf
03-26-2008, 14:45
Wolf, it's blue-blazing, you know it and I'm not responding if you reply.

no. it's hiking/walking. you must be a weenie

Newb
03-26-2008, 15:45
I insist that all hikers take the blue and white blaze trails in those cases where they offer shortcuts. If you don't you're not an extremist-purist.

JAK
03-26-2008, 16:02
All those that hike less than me are weenies.
All those that hike more than me are extremists.

All those that cheat more than me... :-?
call me sometime. :banana

emerald
03-26-2008, 17:19
no. it's hiking/walking.

Wolf, I know I said I wouldnt reply, but I'm disappointed. Are you telling me the AT about is about nothing more than "hiking/walking?" You mean, that's all you've got?

spittinpigeon
03-26-2008, 18:19

Actually, if you go to the top of Standing Indian you can take a left on that blue blazed trail and still bypass a significant amount of AT miles.

Lone Wolf
03-26-2008, 18:44
Wolf, I know I said I wouldnt reply, but I'm disappointed. Are you telling me the AT about is about nothing more than "hiking/walking?" You mean, that's all you've got???:confused: (3 more ?s and and what I'm not even sure rates a frown)

it ain't about ridin' in canoes dufus

JAK
03-26-2008, 18:58
it ain't about ridin' in canoes dufusUnless you want to cheat. :D

Tennessee Viking
03-26-2008, 23:55
I know for Tennessee.

Road route from the Nolichucky River Bridge to Nolichucky Campground.

Forest road 230 route from Indian Grave Gap to Beauty Spot and continue to beside Deep Gap up to Unaka Overlook then down. There is an access point of old AT along the way. Then before getting to the 230 gate there is a spur road that goes up near Low Gap and Piney Ball near Cherry Gap Shelter. And at the 230 gate, there is a spur road that goes up to Cherry Gap.

On Roan, take the Cloudland Trail over to the Garden road to Carvers Gap.

In the Buck Mountain area, you can really cheat. AT crosses the roads so many times within a couple miles of each crossing, where as the trail goes the long way around. One can do Buck Mountain Road to over to Walnut Mtn Road, and even do Bitter End.

Also around the Bitter End area, you can easily take a forest road down to Laurel Fork Trail and walk it into Dennis Cove. Also Lacy Trapp further along the White Rocks. Lots of water crossings though.

The Coon Den blue blaze is not worth the blueblazing. Its steep and rocky at the falls. A bit of rock scrambling.

Highwater Trail at the Laurel Fork steps over to Laurel Fork Shelter.

Hampton Blue Blaze to US321 and road route up to Watauga Lake.

Creeper Trail is probably the granddaddy blue blazer around Damascus.

ed bell
03-27-2008, 00:44
AT thru-hiking will never supersede backpacking and hiking. Walk on, blue blazers.:sun

Almost There
03-27-2008, 09:34
I know for Tennessee.

Road route from the Nolichucky River Bridge to Nolichucky Campground.

Forest road 230 route from Indian Grave Gap to Beauty Spot.

Creeper Trail is probably the granddaddy blue blazer around Damascus.

Walked all of these last year on my hike, but ducked back onto the trail where 230 crosses the trail again before Beauty Spot. All of them were decent walks!

No Belay
03-27-2008, 13:16
The best "CHEAT" I found on the AT is a lenghtly one but well worth the effort. After getting your photo taken at Amicalola Falls head west to Antelope Wells, Az,. Find your own trail and hike your own hike ( without someone else's parameters) to Waterton Park in Canada. From there travel east to Baxter State Park, peak Mt. Katahdin, and get your photo taken. It's worked for me twice and she never did figure out where I was.;)

WalkingStick75
03-27-2008, 14:03
As a section hiker since 1975 the trail has changed direction many times, does this mean I didn't really finish hiking the entire trail last August? Just means that I have lots of new trail to explore..... someday.
Those that are the extreme purist and have to start and stop from the same exact spot do so because they want to and that is the standard they set. Those that figure point "A" is Springer and "B" is Katahdin is more my way of hiking but not the only way.

The Cheat
03-27-2008, 14:14
I was wondering just how many places exist to "Cheat" on the Appalachian Trail?...

All places on the Appalachian Trail exist, why?

JAK
03-27-2008, 14:17
All places on the Appalachian Trail exist, why?Existence precedes essence.

The Cheat
03-27-2008, 14:24
Existence precedes essence.

Awesome, so no spots on the Appalachian trail exists until I say they exist?

k-n
03-27-2008, 14:24
Existence precedes essence.
let me try and wrap my mind around that one.

The Cheat
03-27-2008, 14:35
let me try and wrap my mind around that one.

Basically, there is no "trail" without it being created first, and apparently if I don't see it then it has not been created and it therefore does not exist.

Originally, I stated that all places on the trail exist to me, but apparently I was wrong. Only the places I've seen exist. And thats mostly just New York and New Hampshire, sorry everybody else!

Lion King
03-27-2008, 15:19
I said it afore and Ill say it again...

some people dont realize that some blue blazes are in fact HARDER then the white blazes or steeper and most times prettier, less crowded and more alive with bears, deer, snakes, whatever.

MauHar is awesome. Great swimmin holes, MANY waterfalls, and yeah, its steep as hell.

Coon Den Falls is nice as well.

I did one called The Sphinx Trail right North of Mt Washington that was just about as vertical as you can get without actually climbing. A SOB, but it was a different challange and a lot of fun.

Theres three trails out of Damsacus (Maybe more) that connect with the white blazes. All great walks, and one has shelters you wouldnt knwo where here if you didnt hike it. Like every 5 miles...Hurricane trail I think>???

theres one no named one you can do right before Erwin, again, steep and sorta overgrown, but it save you that last silly ass Up and down and ti comes out about 1/4 mile away from where the AT comes out.

I liek the one before JumpUp Lookout best as it is easy and not near as rocky as the White blazes...jesus, I could go on all day....

Grampie
03-27-2008, 15:27

some people dont realize that some blue blazes are in fact HARDER then the white blazes or steeper and most times prettier, less crowded and more alive with bears, deer, snakes, whatever.

MauHar is awesome. Great swimmin holes, MANY waterfalls, and yeah, its steep as hell.

I did one called The Sphinx Trail right North of Mt Washington that was just about as vertical as you can get without actually climbing. A SOB, but it was a different challange and a lot of fun.

Theres three trails out of Damsacus (Maybe more) that connect with the white blazes. All great walks, and one has shelters you wouldnt knwo where here if you didnt hike it. Like every 5 miles...Hurricane trail I think>???

theres one no named one you can do right before Erwin, again, steep and sorta overgrown, but it save you that last silly ass Up and down and ti comes out about 1/4 mile away from where the AT comes out.

I liek the one before JumpUp Lookout best as it is easy and not near as rocky as the White blazes...jesus, I could go on all day....

Great info. from a true Blue-Blazer...Go Lion King

Lone Wolf
03-27-2008, 15:30

the yellow-blazed iron mtn. trail heads out of damascus and joins up with the AT about 43 miles north of town

Lion King
03-27-2008, 15:33
the yellow-blazed iron mtn. trail heads out of damascus and joins up with the AT about 43 miles north of town

THATS IT!

Where the hell did I come up with Hurricane????

maybe cuz the Weather sucks right now in Kansas

emerald
03-27-2008, 15:47

I'm fairly certain it was once the white-blazed route, but I can't provide dates -- maybe 30 years ago or more.

Where the hell did I come up with Hurricane????

Hurricane is the name of a campground in Mount Rogers NRA, right Wolf?

Lion King
03-27-2008, 15:51
I'm fairly certain it was once the white-blazed route, but I can't provide dates.

Oh yeah, it intersects the AT at Hurricane shelter, or thereabouts, if memory serves me correct.

Trail Dancer
03-27-2008, 15:56
From the thru-hike in 07' I can remember a few short cuts that I really really wanted to take. To list a few...(i do not remember the trail names, they they are mentioned in AT guide books and easy to find)

In Virginia in the Grayson Highlands near Mt. Rogers you can take a much more direct trail instead of going by the ponies. I don't know the name of the other trails but I know people that cut some miles off.

Also in Virginia near Three Priest there is a 3 miles short cut that lets you completly skip going over Three Priest. Took look at the trail sign and know that I could be in the same place in an hour...but that I had a 7 miles hike over Three Priest was hard..but I did it. The short cut is a bit harder with some waterfalls, but again I did not take it so I don't know...

Also in Virginia thru the Shenandoah National Park if you wanted to you could just walk down the Parkway. The AT crosses the parkway over 50 times so you could go back and forth if you want too.. I people that did that and skipped a lot of the SNP's awesomely easy trail.

There are plenty of Blue-blaze trails in case of bad weather..but we always did the AT, white blazes.

In Maine going into Monson there is a blue blaze trail that takes you on a more direct way to the hostel in town...

In New Hampshire you could skip Mt. Washington all together if you wanted...there are plenty of easier trails that by pass the AT to take tourist to the Huts or roads.

Be a pure its worth it!

JAK
03-27-2008, 16:01
Basically, there is no "trail" without it being created first, and apparently if I don't see it then it has not been created and it therefore does not exist.

Originally, I stated that all places on the trail exist to me, but apparently I was wrong. Only the places I've seen exist. And thats mostly just New York and New Hampshire, sorry everybody else!My take on that is somewhat different.

The trail exists (both chronologically and logically) before it has any value or purpose.
Also, we exist (both chronologically and logically) before we have any value or purpose.

It is possible to find a purpose for the trail while still discovering our own.
That is one reason for hiking the trail, not that any reason is neccessary.

Lone Wolf
03-27-2008, 16:08
I'm fairly certain it was once the white-blazed route, but I can't provide dates -- maybe 30 years ago or more.

yes it is the old AT and yes Hurricane Campground is a half mile off the AT

emerald
03-27-2008, 16:16
The trail exists (both chronologically and logically) before it has any value or purpose.

Perhaps so, but if Benton MacKaye didn't come up with the idea and Myron Avery and others didn't think his idea had merit and build it, it never would have come to exist.

It hasn't and likely never will maintain itself either. There's a need for men and women who value it enough to look after it or else it will cease to exist, though the corridor purchased to protect it may serve a purpose still.

JAK
03-27-2008, 16:31
The conceptual 'Appalachian Trail' did not exist before humans.
The physical 'Appalachian Trail' is as old as Katahdin and Springer.

Trails don't require humans for maintenance, or use.
Trails only require humans for their use by humans.

There is a fairly good chance the 'Appalachian Trail' will exist long after humans are gone.

Appalachian Tater
03-27-2008, 16:42
The conceptual 'Appalachian Trail' did not exist before humans.

There is a fairly good chance the 'Appalachian Trail' will exist long after humans are gone.Dude, what are you smokin'?

JAK
03-27-2008, 16:49
Dude, what are you smokin'?Just some sweet grass I picked up off a deer path.

max patch
03-27-2008, 17:02
There is a fairly good chance the 'Appalachian Trail' will exist long after humans are gone.

There is NO chance of that happening.

If and when you ever hike on the AT, you'll soon realize how much the maintainers do. And keep an eye out for the old "brown blazed" trail. You will see how the woods reclaim it over time.

emerald
03-27-2008, 17:04

Katahdin and Springer Mountain existed before man. The physical AT did not exist prior to 1937 and is man-made and changes constantly. Its treadway is regularly moved about and is modified by trail maintainers, those who travel upon it and natural forces.

The AT does require trail maintainers for its continued existence and there are costs associated with this activity. There's a designated route and standards to which it is maintained. I won't bore you with the details. It will cease to exist in a physical sense not long after it ceases to be maintained.

JAK
03-27-2008, 17:17
There is NO chance of that happening.

If and when you ever hike on the AT, you'll soon realize how much the maintainers do. And keep an eye out for the old "brown blazed" trail. You will see how the woods reclaim it over time.Well now we are getting into definitions of "trail", and "Appalachian Trail". Paths existed before people. Trails, perhaps not. The work that the trail maintainers do is extremely valuable, and not just to humans. It is the most important work done by humans on the trail. One might argue time with children is comparable, but that is facilitated by the maintainers. The work of a trail maintainer is quite arguably one of our highest callings, like that of a parent. The ongoing Work of the Creator however, I think everyone agrees on this, is on a whole different level. Our work, at its best, facilitates our onging appreciation of His work. For those inclined to think of it as such, engaging in such works as parenting and trial construnction and maintenance, when done with reverence and humility and other virtues, is a higher form of worship.

JAK
03-27-2008, 17:23
I think a good hike, solo or in good company, can also be comparable to a good day of parenting or trail maintenance or teaching. They might seem purely selfish, but they aren't neccessarily. Those are good days when you can get them. For myself, it's easier if I bring Margaret along, or do something constructive, but sometimes when I'm hiking and breathing a certain way and thinking certain thoughts as the sun is rising ot going down or the tide is ebbing or flowing, I think that is sometimes enough.

emerald
03-27-2008, 17:32
How does the concept of teaching one's child trail maintenance strike you?:-?

Margaret may be too young to be doing more than picking up a stick or two, but my point is all of the activities mentioned can be combined in what's a potentially sustainable activity which perpetuates the AT.

Hiking is not a sustainable activity over time, nor is trail maintenance. Both require new blood and the values which sustain the AT must be taught to young people. Today, it cannot be taken for granted that young people will find and learn to love the outdoors on their own.

Some readers may wish to click and read a thread I began called Nature-Deficit Disorder (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=34454).

weary
03-27-2008, 18:17
There's only one place to cheat on the Appalachian Trail. It's in Baxter Park where the rangers hand you a form to fill out to be eligible for a 2,000 miler rocker for your pack.

Hike the trail however you wish. The only cheating is if you lie about what you did.

Weary

Toolshed
03-27-2008, 19:15
There's only one place to cheat on the Appalachian Trail. It's in Baxter Park where the rangers hand you a form to fill out to be eligible for a 2,000 miler rocker for your pack.

Hike the trail however you wish. The only cheating is if you lie about what you did.

Weary
Get out and hike and do what you wish. don't let the moral stick in the muds give you crap about cheating or having a guilty conscience. Life is about the adventure and enjoying the road there. If you need to get off the trail and walk a byway for some sanity, do it. Enjoy it and don't worry about it. Let those with their panties in a twist keep their blood pressure up with these moral threats.
I am sure there are many who have lived, learned and loved life more by taking a few blueblazes now and then than those who were tortured by their supreme sense of moraility to keep on the white blazes.

weary
03-27-2008, 22:28
Get out and hike and do what you wish. don't let the moral stick in the muds give you crap about cheating or having a guilty conscience. Life is about the adventure and enjoying the road there. If you need to get off the trail and walk a byway for some sanity, do it. Enjoy it and don't worry about it. Let those with their panties in a twist keep their blood pressure up with these moral threats.
I am sure there are many who have lived, learned and loved life more by taking a few blueblazes now and then than those who were tortured by their supreme sense of moraility to keep on the white blazes.
As I said, hike the trail however you wish. I certainly didn't keep to the white blazes. I was 400 miles into the trail before it gradually dawned on me that some hikers attached a special reverence to white blazes. I thought then that they were being silly.

Since then I've talked to a few who think differently and they have convinced me that for some, passing every white blaze is a legitimate goal. On my walk north, however, I was into exploring the trail and all the side trails that looked interesting. Most lead to overlooks and other natural features that maintainers thought worthwhile for hikers to see. In the south I took them all.

As I worked my way north I was a bit more selective as October 15 and winter loomed. From many conversations with hikers who have followed similar practices, told ATC, and got patches, I'm quite certain that if I wrote ATC and explained my frenetic paths on the AT over many decades they would send me a rocker, despite the white blazes I've maybe missed. But somehow it doesn't seem worth the bother. But I do object to lies -- except when sitting around a campfire.

Weary

gold bond
03-28-2008, 08:24
My wife found several places on the AT to cheat...she met this guy at Deep Gap....another in Damascus....(sob sob) so yeah, I'd say there are probably alot more!

notorius tic
03-28-2008, 08:31
I found a new blaze the Brown 1 that takes me anywhere in the woods that i whant to go<: Its a Tree<: