PDA

View Full Version : Montbell Down Super Slacker #2 Bag Temp Overrated??

Toolshed
03-23-2008, 13:27
Was out this weekend and temps got down to the high 20's. My shelter was a SD Clip Ultraflash (identical to the Clip Flashlight, except Silnylon) and found I was very cold all night long. Specifically my hips at the top of the bag and my feet. I was on my Full length Orange Winter Thermarest.
The #2 bag is comfort rated to 25 degrees.

I really like this bag, but I am a bit miffed at the fact that I was really cold. I have had it out down to the mid40's previously and I was comfortable then, not too warm, but not cold. This is the first time I have had it in the 30's.

Anyway, I am wondering if anyone else has had any similiar cold related problems with their Montbells?

For temperature check I used my Suunto Temperature Watch and the tent temperatures were in the low 40's each time I checked, dipping to around 38 at one point between 3 & 4 AM. I had on 2 longsleeve polypro shirts and polypro long underwear and wool socks.

I left the watch outside the tent at one point for about half an hour around 3AM and it dipped 27%.

When I got back to my truck I checked the Suunto temperature reading with the thermometer on my truck and they both read the same, so I am sure that it did get that cold, besides all the puddles on the trail the next morning were frozen over...

hammock engineer
03-23-2008, 15:13
I like the bag. I only had problems towards the end of my thru when I had little body fat to keep me warm. It might be that you are cold natured or this bag isn't for you.

The places where you are cold seem like they maybe pinch points where you might have compressed the bag. If you are a little to tall your feet may compress it, and your hips may compress the top.

Also were you cold when you got in? I have issues warming up if I am chilled when I get into a bag.

Toolshed
03-23-2008, 18:01
I am normally a very warm...no make that hot, sleeper. I ate well that evening, so it wasn't due to lack of fuel. I was very warm once I got in it. When I was airing the bag out today, I noticed you can see a lot of translucent light through the inside of the bag - So I tried shiftng the down over, thinking maybe this didn't have baffles and saw that there were baffles to stop shifting down from teh bottom to the top.

I am starting to wonder if it was a pinch point. I noticed this doesn't have a differential cut "bag in a bag" design and is esentially what looks like to be a simple box baffle that runs from the inside of the bag to the outside. Pinching the down could cause cold spots easily.

rcli4
03-23-2008, 21:54
I have slept in this bag in the 20's and was quite comfortable.

Clyde

optimator
03-24-2008, 13:03
I was down to 28 in the same bag a few weeks back. I had to unzip it a little to cool off. No complaints here.