PDA

View Full Version : Sleep PAD vs Air mattress ...

darkage
03-23-2008, 18:14
I'm curious, i've been looking around and besides the "bulk" factor ... i see air mattress+pump for a combo weight of 4-5lbs .... i see thermarest's daydream XL running in at an 8 lbs ...

I really would like to find something that is gonna keep my pressure points off the ground, and help me get some sleep .... i toss an turn alot and require a decent ammount of padding .... nothing extreme, but enough to keep a 245 lb man comfy ... a few suggestions so i can work out another peice of my gear for my hikes .... "It'll be used for sections and when i finally get to do my thru, hopefully in 2k9.

Thanks all, and happy easter. =]

Appalachian Tater
03-23-2008, 18:18
Prolite 3 or 4 short.

darkage
03-23-2008, 18:22
awesome thanks, the prolite 4 "large" is only 2lbs 1 ounce ... much better than what i was looking at ... and the regular size is 24 ounces ... thanks again! =]

Summit
03-23-2008, 19:11
Check out the Big Agnes Dual Core Air Mattress + Big Agnes Pumphouse stuff sack pump. Might be just a shade over 2lbs 1 ounce combined, but the comfort is astounding compared to a ThermaRest pad, which I slept on, and in recent years tried to sleep on. You will feel pressure points on the Prolite. You will not with the BA Dual Core.

bigcranky
03-23-2008, 19:23
Well, the most comfortable camping mattress I've ever used is from Cabelas, weighs over 9 pounds, and is larger than my entire pack -- rolled up! But it's comfortable as all get out. Not really meant for backpacking, though.

The most comfortable sleep I've ever gotten backpacking is in a Hennessey Hammock. I moved away from hammocking because it's essentially a solo activity. But I'm planning to return to the clan of the bear pinatas this summer. You could certainly find great comfort at 245 pounds in a hammock, though there are other issues.

The Prolite 4 is a nice pad, and pretty light. I use the standard size (24 ounces) when I use my tarp, and it's mostly somewhat not too uncomfortable. The thing is, for big guys, 1.5 inches of padding isn't all that much.

You might look at the Big Agnes Air Core pads. They are inflatable air pads that weigh less than 2 pounds, and provide 2+ inches of padding. The insulated ones are a better bet if you will ever do any cold-weather hiking.

Kerosene
03-23-2008, 19:31
I concur, the best sleep that I've ever had is in a hammock, but of course there are other issues with going above ground.

greentick
03-23-2008, 20:15
I'm 6'2" and 215-220. This works great for me, no pressure points:

http://www.rei.com/product/751065

darkage
03-23-2008, 21:01
excellent, i'll check those air core pads out now .... i don't want too much weight, 9lbs is way too much .. =]

But hiking 200-300 miles in a shot, i need something light, but that won't cripple me after some hard hiking days. Appreciate all the responses ... never gets better than people real world reviews ...

whitefoot_hp
03-23-2008, 21:09
20 oz. big agnes short insulated air core. 15 deg.

Appalachian Tater
03-23-2008, 21:36
The Prolite 4 is a nice pad, and pretty light. I use the standard size (24 ounces) when I use my tarp, and it's mostly somewhat not too uncomfortable. The thing is, for big guys, 1.5 inches of padding isn't all that much. It's plenty. The Prolite 3 is probably even enough. As long as you don't bottom out and touch the ground, you don't know the difference between a one inch pad and a one foot pad. I don't even inflate my Prolite 4 all the way because it is more comfortable a little under-inflated. Still don't touch the ground. I am just about as heavy as the original poster--almost 1/8 ton of fun.

Jaybird62
03-23-2008, 21:44
I just recently got a big agnes insulated air core pad. It weighs 23oz, as I opted for the long model. The pad inflates to 2and3/4 of an inch. I weigh around 240 lbs. and was not touching the ground at any point. In fact I was able to let air out of the pad for increased comfort, and still was never touching the ground. I have not tried any other "good" pads out, but compared to the cheap blue foam pads, this thing is incredible. I picked mine up on e bay for 58 bucks.

Quiet Eagle
03-23-2008, 21:52
I have a BA Insulated Air Core (78"x20" rectangular, listed weight of 27 oz) and a non-insulated Air Core (72'x20" rectangular, listed weight of 22 oz). I'm a side-sleeper and my hips cannot tolerate ground contact. Once you get the inflation firmness right, these things can't be beat. Two downsides: (1) if you spring a leak and can't repair it, you're out of luck; and (2) you have to orally inflate it. To me, though, the pros outweigh the cons. I can't imagine not sleeping on the BA pads now.

darkage
03-23-2008, 23:08
Yeah, same here ... i tend to sleep on my sides more often than my back and have an issue "even in my home bed" of waking up with my hands/arms asleep ... The downsides arn't an issue, you should carry a repair kit regardless ... and after hiking 10+ miles, blowing up one of these shouldn't be a problem while waiting for your dinner to heat up ... i think i'm certainly gonna look into both before i buy, there's a REI within 50 miles and cabellas even closer ... i'll hit them up and look, but at first glance ... i might go with the BA but i'll wait to cast judgement till i can see them in person an feel um out ...

Appalachian Tater
03-23-2008, 23:13
Yeah, same here ... i tend to sleep on my sides more often than my back and have an issue "even in my home bed" of waking up with my hands/arms asleep ... Try a memory or latex foam or even polyurethane mattress or thick mattress overlay. I'm a side sleeper and had severe problems with nerves in my arm, switched to a latex mattress with a memory foam top layer, no more problems, and sleep better, too. You can even just get a thick piece of polyurethane from J C Penney or an upholstery supplier. http://www.jcpenney.com/jcp/Products.aspx?DeptID=30350&CatID=30350&Grptyp=ENS&ItemId=13d4a4a&cmRef=http://www.jcpenney.com/products/C030743.jsp

darkage
03-23-2008, 23:30
Hey, now thats a good idea .... roll it up into a stuff sack and away ya go ... and can cut it to fit any sleeping bag, specially those that use the insert fold for pads ... i'm gonna check into that this week ... Also just realized there's an EMS store within 8 miles from here ... gonna pay them a visit.

Wonder how much that 3" Firm Topper - Twin 38x73" weighs in ... site doesn't say, but it does suggest the product IS good for under sleeping bags =]

Thanks for that suggestion ... on first glance, that might be the best option yet ... really appreciate it ... Waking up and not being able to move your fingers cause your arms asleep really isn't good ... Thanks again!

Appalachian Tater
03-23-2008, 23:35
Really, I was suggesting that more for at home! An air mattress made for hiking works well. Also, the ground is a lot softer than a shelter floor.

The 3" firm twin is $40 but I would recommend the extra firm 5", which is 1.5 pounds per cubic foot.

darkage
03-23-2008, 23:40
Yeah i could surely use that at home for the addressed issue of the arms/hands ... i'm sure that padding is way too heavy even after cutting and and prolly not worth trying to toss into a stuff sack, but at 11:30pm, it sounded good at the time ... back to thinking bout the prolite vs big agnes debate were having ... like i said, i'll be able to check them both out in person this week ...

Tinker
03-23-2008, 23:40
Darkage, I think Tater meant that a memory foam mattress topper for your bed at home would make sleeping there more comfortable. I have one on my Select Comfort air bed. I don't think that they would prevent bottoming out on the ground. The foam is too soft. I'd go with the oft-mentioned Big Agnes mattress of your choice for the best sleep. I have one of those, too. A hammock is the only thing better. I'm a side sleeper and can sleep all night without moving in a hammock. Before hammocking I was a toss-and-turn sleeper.

Tinker
03-23-2008, 23:41
OOPS! I guess you had that one figured out.

darkage
03-23-2008, 23:42
Yeah np, i figured that out after the fact ... no worries. =]

88BlueGT
03-26-2008, 00:39
I also have a BA insulated air core (66inch) that comes in around 1lb 5oz, or somewhere in that range (I believe?). I have only used it twice so far but both times have been excellent, just stinks blowing that thing up. unfortunately I'm a smoker so blowing that pad up takes a while lol.

The one thing that gets me is the weight, OBVIOUSLY I would prefer it to be lighter but the comfort is just to good to give up for a foam or something in that category. I was thinking about cutting one section out of it but scared that I might either mess it up and not be able to fix it or cut it short and than not like it. Once its cut it cant go back together lol.

Summit
03-26-2008, 07:10
The newer "Dual Core" models from BA are a little heavier, but the trade-off is they are a lot more insulated. I slept on mine with my sleeping bag just draped over me, i.e. my body in T-shirt touching the pad @ 28 degrees and felt zero cold coming through the air mattress. Any of the BA mattresses offer the best night's sleep on the trail. ;)

kytrailman
03-26-2008, 07:40
Get a cheap TR trail model. The short is only 30 bucks, weighs 15 oz, folds well to fit in pack as frame, and is about 1- 1.5 " thick. Pretty comfy for light weight and light cost.

Socrates
04-01-2008, 20:19
I vouch for the Big Agnes as well. Sure, it's slightly heavier and takes no more than 5 minutes to blowup, but come bedtime, you will be the envy of other hikers on foam! lol (And mostly, your body will thank you later.)

tanzer2250
04-01-2008, 20:24
I like the prolite 4 with a few extra puffs to firm it up. 6' 210 lbs. For me the bigger issue is making sure I have a stuff sack under my neck and another under my knees.

Ben.