PDA

View Full Version : Finding the shoe that fits..

Dholmblad
03-24-2008, 01:13
I am having the hardest time finding a pair of trail runners(or mby boots) for an upcoming section hike. I hiked an 800 mile section in Vasque switchbacks, but those were too narrow. I currently have a pair of TNF ultra 103s but I dont like them very much. I have gone to the three outfitters in the area of Roanoke va but have found nothing that fits well. What should I do.....

Appalachian Tater
03-24-2008, 01:20
I have wide flat feet and have had good luck with New Balance. Also, lacing is very important. Don't over-tighten.

Dholmblad
03-24-2008, 01:28
I have flat feet as well. I guess there just isnt much selection down here in south west VA.

mudhead
03-24-2008, 08:31
Zappos. Plug in your shoe size, and check it out!

FYI. Mostly premium pricing. But good selection.

Dholmblad
03-24-2008, 13:01
So if I am buying off line whats the best thing to do about sizing, since I know not all brands are sized exactly the same. Can you recommend and pair of NB?

wilconow
03-24-2008, 13:04
if for whatever reason you don't want to buy online, there's still a lot of good research you can do at places like zappos and running warehouse. zappos has lots of user reviews and running warehouse gives detailed sizing info.

take-a-knee
03-24-2008, 14:31
I've only done a few 10-12 mile days in these boots but they have yet to cause any soreness or a hot spot with no break in:

http://www.asolo.com/content.asp?L=3&idMen=432

I got mine from Sierra Trading Post dirt cheap and mine are non-goretex, I don't know if they make those anymore. I normally wear EE's in New Balance 801's and these fit (wide) fine with one pair of smartwools.

Blissful
03-24-2008, 14:39
Try a running shop that specializes in running shoes. That's where I got mine - Brooks Adrenaline ASR (for pronators) trail runners. If you're ever here in Charlottesville, the running shop here is excellent.

Cuffs
03-24-2008, 18:51
Try on everything you can find before buying. I like to try on the shoes in store, then go online and find the best price! I also find that even though one model from a particular manufacturer fits/feels great, another model just kills my feet and the sizing is not the same... Try on everything!

Dholmblad
03-24-2008, 19:01
I guess Ill have to go home to northern virginia before I start my hike.. No way to find any good shoes down here where I am.

Feral Bill
03-24-2008, 20:33
New balance makes the only trail shoes that fit my wife and son. (very narrow feet) They do run small. Try a size up.

Dholmblad
03-25-2008, 11:46
Well I dont have narrow feet, I have flat feet.

Feral Bill
03-25-2008, 20:02
Well I dont have narrow feet, I have flat feet.

Yes, but NB has a full range of sizes. Probably your best shot at a fit. Most companies have 100 nearly identical styles in a tiny range of sizes. makes me grumpy.:mad:

Deerleg
03-26-2008, 18:30
They can be a little pricey, but I have had good luck with my last pairs of hiking shoes from Garmont. They tend to be a bit wider then a lot of other brands. I also walked a couple of hundred miles in a pair of LaSportiva's this past year, again a little pricey, but also wider, and technically probably the best hiking shoes I've ever worn, relatively light, extremely durable, never even a hint of a blister and very good traction.

I have found that I am better off buying shoes that fit loosely as it seems that on the trail my feet swell slightly, and what seemed like a "good fit" in the store became a pain (literally) later in the day. I make sure I have plenty of room in the toe box and then simply adjust laces as needed.