PDA

View Full Version : Big Agnes vs Thermarest

Tipi Walter
03-24-2008, 11:58
I'm pretty familiar with the thermarest line of sleeping pads, but I'm wondering how they compare to Big Agnes pads? Dual Core, Hinman, etc. Can someone compare and contrast and make some sense of it for me?

envirodiver
03-24-2008, 12:31
My best comparison is the REI lite core and Thermarest Prolite 4 short. I have used both and the REI is just as good, very comparable weight wise, seems to be holding up well and is much less expensive. For the short pad the REI is about $20 less and includes the stuff sack and repair kit. The thremarest stuff sack will be about $11 and the repair kit $8. So all told there is about a $39 difference. Both are 1.5 inches thick, REI has a R value of 3.1, Thermarest = 3.2.

I also have a full length Hinman pad that I have yet to use because it's a little bit heavy.

optimator
03-24-2008, 12:58
All I have to compare my BA to is my old orange full length Thermarest, and my old green 3/4 Thermarest. IMHO, there is no comparison. The BA pad beats whatever else I'VE used hands down. I bought mine about 4 years ago, and haven't used anything else since. I've used it as low as 28 degrees (inside my tent) and it's been great. When the time comes to replace it, I'll buy another.

Almost There
03-24-2008, 13:30
I've got a blue self inflating BA pad that compares pretty well to older thermarest pads, the difference is that the BA is thicker and I think more comfortable. I got mine off of steep and cheap back in mid '05.

RadioFreq
03-24-2008, 14:38
I've got a blue self inflating BA pad that compares pretty well to older thermarest pads, the difference is that the BA is thicker and I think more comfortable. I got mine off of steep and cheap back in mid '05.

Got mine off S&C within the past year. I agree with AT and echo Optimator's observation...IMO it is far superior than the Thermorests. It is also far more compact so it can fit in your pack. Try that with a Thermorest.

Jaybird62
03-24-2008, 14:51
I have the mummy shaped long edition of BA's insulated air core pad. I have never tried sleeping on any of the thermarest products, but I have never seen any thermarest mattresses that could compare with the air core. It is 2 and 3 quarters of an inch thick, and holds my 230 + lbs. off of the ground. I sleep on my side, and don't have any issues with hips or shoulders hitting the ground. I am also very impressed with how small it packs- 5 by 9 inches weight is a little heavy at 23 ozs., but the comfort is certainly worth a little bit of weight. This pad also came with a repair kit which is tucked neatly into a pocket in the included stuff sack

Newb
03-24-2008, 14:55
I carry a Big Agnes inflatable. I couldn't stand sleeping on a pad and being in pain anymore.

stacy324
03-24-2008, 15:06
I have both and have used both in temps as low as 12 to 15 degrees. Both provide adequate insulation from the cold. The thermarest is lighter and self inflating where my BA is not. The Big Agnes is more compact and I carry it inside my pack instead of strapped to the side like the thermarest. When sleeping in my tent on a bed of pine needles they both work great. When sleeping on the hard floor of an AT shelter the Big Agnes is by far the more comfortable choice – IMO. I have heard that the BA is more prone to punctures, but so far I’ve had no problems with either.

HikerRanky
03-24-2008, 15:17
I've got a BA Insulated Air Core... Besides having to inflate it myself, it is by far the best way to sleep on the ground..... I like it so much that I've even tried using it in my hammock, but it's a bit of a struggle...

Summit
03-24-2008, 18:17
I got the Insulated Air Core (BA) for a Christmas present from my wife. Hadn't taken it on a hike, but had checked it out fairly thoroughly in the house. Then in Feb REI had their big blowout sale and long story short, the wife exchanged that one for the newer lower temp rated Dual Air Core (slightly heavier also) and after the exchange wound up paying about $33 for it. Retail is $99 I think. After about 30 years of sleeping on a ThermaRest, there is no comparison . . . especially for us old fogies. I think the Dual Core is actually more comfortable than my bed! :eek:

I have been a couple nights out on the trail with it and at night it was in the upper twenties. I was fine lying directly on the mattress with my sleeping bag draped over me and no cold coming through/from the mattress. I think that is absolutely phenomenal!

take-a-knee
03-24-2008, 18:25
I've got a BA Insulated Air Core... Besides having to inflate it myself, it is by far the best way to sleep on the ground..... I like it so much that I've even tried using it in my hammock, but it's a bit of a struggle...

A hennessy hammock? What is the nature of the struggle?

HikerRanky
03-24-2008, 21:03
A hennessy hammock? What is the nature of the struggle?

It's just a little more struggle to get in the hammock and get situated than just getting in the hammock without the mattress.... Not saying it's impossible, just a little bit more difficult.

Randy