PDA

View Full Version : Motels/Hostels/Inns/B&B's>>>Why?

Drew54
03-24-2008, 12:16
As a purist adventurer, LNT nut, and wilderness advocate, I am wondering the essentiality of paying for lodging on the AT. I saw an older couple of women at Walasi-Yi staying the night and carrying with them a 6 pack of charmin ultra.

I am planning my 09 Sobo right now, and am doing it to get away, and to get into touch with the wilderness. Wondering the purist point of view on Trailtime Luxury. Why and how often must it be accomodated? Toilet paper is the biggest of jokes, but paying for beer/pizzam, lodging and a shower is hardly roughing it (especially on day 4/5 at walasi-yi).

What is the minimum # of in-town stayovers made?

buff_jeff
03-24-2008, 12:22
If you are looking for a mostly wilderness experience try the PCT or CDT. The AT is a great trail; plenty of views, woods, etc., but it is also a social experience. It is much more "crowded" than either of those trails and you'll see people every day. As far as how necessary town stops are, that is up to you. You know your limits more than anybody else. If you want to bypass a town, go ahead.

thestin
03-24-2008, 12:23
Geez, HYOH and do what you feel is right. What's a purist anyway?

bigmac_in
03-24-2008, 12:24
If you want to "get in touch with the wilderness" - I'm not sure I'd pick the AT. Although there are stretches of forest, I'm not sure I'd call it wilderness. It is a good place to take a hike, however, and an interesting destination for backpacking.

But "wilderness"? Nah - not really.

By the way - I'm guessing the minimum # of in-town stayovers would be zero.

To each their own.

Drew54
03-24-2008, 12:32
i guess i was a bit misinterpreted. im planning my MEGA 09 not to be in extreme wilderness (i will be doing that in prince william sound on a 30 day NOLS OutdoorEducator course this summer) but moreso just chiming in about the excessive luxury while thru-hiking.

the AT is calling me, i have to do it, and i read Pat Pittards "Bearfoot: A NoBo" book, confirming the potentiality of my hike, but i just hate to see the extreme luxury on trail

buff_jeff
03-24-2008, 12:35
i guess i was a bit misinterpreted. im planning my MEGA 09 not to be in extreme wilderness (i will be doing that in prince william sound on a 30 day NOLS OutdoorEducator course this summer) but moreso just chiming in about the excessive luxury while thru-hiking.

the AT is calling me, i have to do it, and i read Pat Pittards "Bearfoot: A NoBo" book, confirming the potentiality of my hike, but i just hate to see the extreme luxury on trail

Honestly, I don't see anything wrong with hitting a hostel or hotel, etc. once every week or two weeks. The trail towns can be considered just as much of the experience as anything else. In the end, just do what makes you happy. It is certainly feasible to never stay over night in a town, if that's what you want.

Drew54
03-24-2008, 12:38
yeah i agree with every so-often for a hygenic stop (6 months is absurd without ANYTHING)

bigmac_in
03-24-2008, 12:40
Extreme Luxury is interpreted differently by different folks. The two women carrying the Charmin probably thought they were far from luxury. My wife will never go backpacking with me, even if she could take the Charmin.

I'm not sure I would call Mountain Crossings' hostel luxury.

However, I do understand what you are saying. I'd rather be out several weeks without seeing a soul if I could. Just let the others hike their hike, and go out and enjoy yours. It's all good.

P.S. - have a GREAT time on teh Prince William Sound trip. It sounds like great fun.

warraghiyagey
03-24-2008, 12:40
If you are looking for a mostly wilderness experience try the PCT or CDT. The AT is a great trail; plenty of views, woods, etc., but it is also a social experience. It is much more "crowded" than either of those trails and you'll see people every day. As far as how necessary town stops are, that is up to you. You know your limits more than anybody else. If you want to bypass a town, go ahead.

Can't be said better than that.:sun

Grampie
03-24-2008, 12:42
Well Drew it goes like this. Quite a few folks think like you. "I'll go hike the AT and not stop at hostels, motels or go to towns." The unfortunate part is that many folks fall for the temptation of home cooked food, a warm shower and a soft bed.
I hiked in 2001. Of the 20 to 30 hiker I met and got to know, none of them could stay away from the towns vortex. You have so much time, while hiking, to think of the luxurys that the up-comming town has to offer and all your hiker friends are making plans to go into town, it gets hard not to go.
You have to go into a town ,now and than, to resupply. Either by mail drop or purchase as you go. You can't get away from doing that. You can get your supplys and hike back out and not stay. You can wash without taking a shower and also wash your cloths in a stream or pond and that would work. That would give you maximum time to enjoy the wilderness.
The problem is, everyone you meet and become a friend of will be going into town or staying at a hostel. You will than have a choise; wait for them or hike on alone. I have not met many young folks your age that could do that.
I hope you are a special person who will shurely be able to hike your own hike.
Happy trails to you on your adventure.:-?

Drew54
03-24-2008, 13:11
I understand what you are saying for sure. I will be doing the SoBo MEGA run next July, I hope to see some great people, but when it comes down to it, virtually no group starts and finishes together (from what i gather so far) and that pressure of town is going to be my dragon. ill get er done and hope to find what im looking for along the way.

i really like to hear the experience talking from you all, and i am very excited to get going on this.

Anyone else 09 MEGA hikers?

bigmac_in
03-24-2008, 13:25
I understand what you are saying for sure. I will be doing the SoBo MEGA run next July, I hope to see some great people, but when it comes down to it, virtually no group starts and finishes together (from what i gather so far) and that pressure of town is going to be my dragon. ill get er done and hope to find what im looking for along the way.

i really like to hear the experience talking from you all, and i am very excited to get going on this.

That's the spirit Drew - I believe you'll be a finisher !! If for some reason you don't finish in one season - welcome to section hiking! Like I said - it's all good.

dessertrat
03-24-2008, 13:48
As a purist adventurer, LNT nut, and wilderness advocate, I am wondering the essentiality of paying for lodging on the AT. I saw an older couple of women at Walasi-Yi staying the night and carrying with them a 6 pack of charmin ultra.

I am planning my 09 Sobo right now, and am doing it to get away, and to get into touch with the wilderness. Wondering the purist point of view on Trailtime Luxury. Why and how often must it be accomodated? Toilet paper is the biggest of jokes, but paying for beer/pizzam, lodging and a shower is hardly roughing it (especially on day 4/5 at walasi-yi).

The minimum number, I'm sure, is zero. There has to be someone doing a thru who just hated town stays and never stayed in town. From my recollection of Earl Shaffer's trail journals, he might have never stayed in a town, that I can remember.

How often is all up to you. It depends upon your own tolerance for lack of hot shower, washing machine, etc. I find that as much as I like sleeping out, I enjoy a motel stay after a week in the woods. It is all up to you. There are some who scoff at staying at a motel, but have never spent more than a weekend out in the woods, and change their tune after a week or two on the trail.

And toilet paper ain't no joke! I always start with a full roll of it.

max patch
03-24-2008, 13:52
Until I was out there week after week after week I had no idea how good that weekly hot shower, clean clothes, and a meal cooked by someone else was.

Blissful
03-24-2008, 14:31
The purist / wilderness "get away from all the civilization - can't wait -" stuff goes out the window when it's been two months on the trail and you're hungry and your food is out, you have a pulled muscle and you've been in thunderstorms for three days and your stuff is drenched and temps are droppping with 60 mph wind. The hostel and / or motel room looks pretty good.

HYOH is the only purist way there is.

Blissful
03-24-2008, 14:34
Until I was out there week after week after week I had no idea how good that weekly hot shower, clean clothes, and a meal cooked by someone else was.

You got that right. This is one of those situations that you can't know really what to expect unless you been out in it day after day after day.

(And BTW - I want to go back!)

Frosty
03-24-2008, 15:57

the AT is calling me, i have to do it, and i read Pat Pittards "Bearfoot: A NoBo" book, confirming the potentiality of my hike, but i just hate to see the extreme luxury on trailYou are not required to stay in a hotel. If you want you can camp every single night of the hike. I don't understand what the issue is.

A-Train
03-24-2008, 16:03

Keep an open mind. Your plan and mindset just MIGHT change during the hike. That's the beauty of a long trek, you can notice the transformations in your values and what's important.

Reminds me of a young Auburn U frat boy I met on the AT near Low Gap Shelter. He was doing a minimum of 15 miles per day. He was going from Neels Gap to NOC without resupply and was planning on a 4month thru-hike. He spent the night with many of us at the shelter and some of us hiked together the next day. Needles to say, he was sharing a room with us in Hiawassee a couple days later, and sucking back a beer.

I'd spend the next 4 months hiking on and off with him.

You never know....:)

Peaks
03-24-2008, 16:23
It's part of the Hike your own hike philosophy. Some like the comforts more than others. It all depends on what your idea of a thru-hike is. For some (many), it seem to be to get from one town to the next, while others prefer to stay out of town as much as possible.

A-Train: good post.

Jack Tarlin
03-24-2008, 16:58
Drew:

The A.T. is very often a bad-weather Trail.

In all likelihood, about a third of your trip will be spent hiking or dealing with lousy weather......you'll be about to head into rotten weather; you'll have just gotten OUT of rotten weather; or you'll be travelling IN poor weather.

In light of this, hostels and town stops can start to look really good.

I suspect your feelings towards warm rooms, non-leaking roofs, decent meals, and hot showers will change a bit after you've been hiking awhile.

Very few people hike the A.T. without time off in the "civilized" world.

And those that try to do so either change their minds, or they tend to go home.

Skyline
03-24-2008, 17:39

You hate to see it for yourself, or you hate to see others partake? Or both?

Appalachian Tater
03-24-2008, 18:31
What is the minimum # of in-town stayovers made?Zero.

You can even get cleaned up once a week or so if you want to--in the back of the ALDHA Companion is a list of places to take showers and wash clothes on the cheap, without staying in a "facility". No reason you can't just go in town, resupply, do chores, eat (if you want) and get back out on the trail.

On the other hand, it would be a shame not to experience some of the hostels.

Tin Man
03-24-2008, 19:00
Zero.

You can even get cleaned up once a week or so if you want to--in the back of the ALDHA Companion is a list of places to take showers and wash clothes on the cheap, without staying in a "facility". No reason you can't just go in town, resupply, do chores, eat (if you want) and get back out on the trail.

On the other hand, it would be a shame not to experience some of the hostels.

On the other hand, we can let him hike and see what happens when he gets all funky and his new found trail friends start raving about their night in the last hostel and how they are looking forward to their next town party and overnighter.

warren doyle
03-24-2008, 19:01
There is no mandatory reason to have any indoor lodging the entire time. It has been and can be done.

fiddlehead
03-24-2008, 19:20
The biggest problem is the stink!

The AT, being on the east coast, can get very humid. And stay damp for weeks.
Things don't dry out very good. (I half to wonder about people who say they carry suntan cream or sunburn is a problem, it certainly never was on any of my hikes on the AT)

So, every once in a while, you want a laundromat to dry out that sleeping bag that's been getting damper and damper as well as your clothes. (you also will learn that less is more)

When i went out west and hiked trails out there. I learned a whole new thing about hiking: swim at least every day (naked) and wash and dry your clothes while you swim/break. You don't stink like the AT. And can easily pass up that expensive hotel. You get to town, hit the PO, General store or supermarket, restaurant for a BIG meal, and hike on. Sometimes you hit the laundry. On the AT you almost always need that laundry and shower.

It is good that you are going soutbound. chances are you won't be hiking with a group and can get a wilder experience SOBO.

Get a free shower (or cheap one) when you can. If you get a non-humid, sunny day, take advantage and go for a swim and wash and dry your clothes.

bigcranky
03-24-2008, 19:38
i just hate to see the extreme luxury on trail

This is really funny, sorry. "Extreme luxury."

Part of the joy of the Appalachian Trail is, for me, meeting people. Not just hikers, but local residents, hostel owners, farmers, good ol' boys, and anyone else I can spend a few minutes with while I'm out hiking.

None of the facilities I have ever seen on the Trail come anywhere near "luxury." Most wouldn't get a single diamond from AAA. All of them are wonderful places to stay for an hour or a night, though, filled with interesting people. Well, usually. Many of my favorite memories of hiking come from people I meet in town.

But hey, it's your hike. Stay in the woods, and enjoy. Happy trails.

rickb
03-24-2008, 19:45
Southbounders can still hike their own hike better than most.

Now its mostly hike by the numbers, but a SOBO can hike past plenty of civilization without stopping in. Just don't buy into others' vision, if you like yours better. Screw 'em.

Caveman of Ohio
03-24-2008, 20:02
I am guilty of rewarding myself with extreme luxury on the trail. Many fond memories of my hike were spent in towns with fellow hikers. From going to movies, a waterpark in Vernon, and Ben And Jerry's Factory tour. I told myself this may be the only time I will get to do a thru hike and do as much as I could.

Tin Man
03-24-2008, 20:11
I am guilty of rewarding myself with extreme luxury on the trail. Many fond memories of my hike were spent in towns with fellow hikers. From going to movies, a waterpark in Vernon, and Ben And Jerry's Factory tour. I told myself this may be the only time I will get to do a thru hike and do as much as I could.

Now there's an attitude to embrace. Bravo!

Chef2000
03-24-2008, 21:13
I hiked 22o miles on the colorado trail and was alone every night and day I went 4 days without seeing a sole or is that soul?

The AT is not like that, there are days on the AT when you will see 50 people.

Oh and if you do go into a town because you are starving ,do not ask to use the shower in the hotel room I payed for.

Appalachian Tater
03-24-2008, 21:21
I hiked 22o miles on the colorado trail and was alone every night and day I went 4 days without seeing a sole or is that soul?
You could say, "I went four days without seeing a sole soul."

Dances with Mice
03-24-2008, 21:29
I can name one person that hiked the entire AT without seeing anybody.

Almost There
03-24-2008, 21:39

So could I....but the real question is: Do we really ever "see" anyone?:-?

Tinker
03-24-2008, 21:41
In the end, however you or anyone else hikes the AT or any other trail, for that matter, I would like to think that you would look back on the trip with an attitude of "That really was great. I'm glad I did it that way", than to suggest that others were wrong or experienced less than you did because they didn't do it your way. Do it, enjoy, and share your joy with others.

Panzer1
03-24-2008, 21:42
None of the facilities I have ever seen on the Trail come anywhere near "luxury." Most wouldn't get a single diamond from AAA.

Yea, I know what you mean, I remember when I was doing a long section hike into Duncannon and came to the Doyle hotel and thought it was paradise. Good beer, good food, good people, room 23, ect..

In reality I suspect that it is close to being condemned by the building inspectors.:p

Panzer

Panzer1
03-24-2008, 21:44
I suspect that the more money you have for your hike, the more rooms you will get.

Panzer

aaroniguana
03-24-2008, 21:46
Surely some of you know that there are ways to shower and do laundry without going off-trail? I mean, I'm sure Sgt Rock knows but if those are the only reasons (other than resupply) one would want to go into town, there are ways around it.

River Runner
03-24-2008, 22:52

There are few luxuries directly on the trail. If you don't want to partake of them, it's pretty simple - don't go to them.

If you are talking about others enjoying luxuries, why would that worry you? Not everyone is out to experience the AT for the same reason.

Ashman
03-25-2008, 07:03

Bill Irwin?

JAK
03-25-2008, 07:27
It would seem that the AT is a great trail if your goal is to resist temptation.

I think if you practice before you go on 4/5 day trips doing daily ablutions in the field, and rinsing and drying clothes in the field, and living out of grocery stores instead of fast food restaraunts, then a simple and frugal hike is possible anywhere, even with all the apparent temptations on the AT.

Still, I think it is a positive thing to have the flexibility of being able to pick up a small bottle of wine and some bread and cheese after resupplying your groceries, or perhaps to stop at a small cafe for some good coffee over a game of chess or live music or whatever such culture may exist. I think it would pay off in the long run if people were generally more frugal and had more discriminating taste, but self discipline is such a bitch.

jersey joe
03-25-2008, 08:49
Drew,
I'm a firm believer in HYOH and don't see anything wrong with folks staying in hotels and B&B's along the way. For me, I enjoyed town services occasionally but tried to get out of town as soon as possible and back into the woods.

rafe
03-25-2008, 09:13
As a purist adventurer, LNT nut, and wilderness advocate, I am wondering the essentiality of paying for lodging on the AT....

My guess is that you've never spent more than two or three consecutive nights in the woods. If you had, the answer would be self-evident. Of course, if I could have a hot shower and soft bed for free, I wouldn't "pay" for it, either. :rolleyes: Dumb-ass question, IMO. Or maybe just trolling.

astrogirl
03-25-2008, 09:31
The biggest problem is the stink! (I half to wonder about people who say they carry suntan cream or sunburn is a problem, it certainly never was on any of my hikes on the AT)

Perhaps you don't have fair skin then? If I pay no attention, I always get some sunburn the the spring when the trees are bare. I can't keep sunscreen on and I hate it getting all over my clothes and under my fingernails.

The solution for me is to cover up. I still get burned on my wrists, but I can manage the rest without feeling overheated at all. In some cases, it's cooler as a damp bandana a couple inches from the neck acts a little like A/C as the water evaporates.

So, I don't know why people bother with sunscreen either. :D

max patch
03-25-2008, 09:34
Right now the trees have no leaf cover in GA. If you hike on a sunny day you should use sunscreen.

JAK
03-25-2008, 09:39
How many people bother to give themselves a sponge bath every day when hiking the at?
Why not? Is it lack of water, lack of privacy, or lack of know how, or lack of bother?

Is it that really that hard to keep yourself clean if you really want to?

Drew54
03-25-2008, 10:22
My guess is that you've never spent more than two or three consecutive nights in the woods. If you had, the answer would be self-evident. Of course, if I could have a hot shower and soft bed for free, I wouldn't "pay" for it, either. :rolleyes: Dumb-ass question, IMO. Or maybe just trolling.

you are a fool

jersey joe
03-25-2008, 10:22
most people wash at least somewhat on the trail but when you are hiking and sweating all day, you can't avoid smelling bad completely.

Appalachian Tater
03-25-2008, 10:59
(I half to wonder about people who say they carry suntan cream or sunburn is a problem, it certainly never was on any of my hikes on the AT)You just need to hike in early spring.

buff_jeff
03-25-2008, 11:27
You just need to hike in early spring.

Yeah, my neck is all jacked up because I hiked for 6 days in PA last May without suntan lotion.

Grampie
03-25-2008, 11:58
How many people bother to give themselves a sponge bath every day when hiking the at?
Why not? Is it lack of water, lack of privacy, or lack of know how, or lack of bother?

I did most every day. If I was near a place to swim I would. If I was near a stream I would fill my cooking pot with water, add a dash of soap, walk into the woods and take a sponge bath with my bandana. I would feel so much better when it was time to get into my sleeping bag.
I once met a hiker at Limestone Spring Shelter in Conn. It was before I thru hiked and didn't know how bad a hiker could smell. He was a SOBO and had hiked from Maine and said he had not taken a shower or washed his cloths since he started. I vowed never to smell that bad.:sun

Appalachian Tater
03-25-2008, 12:47
There is a long tradition in Europe of hiking hostel-to-hostel.

JAK
03-25-2008, 13:21
most people wash at least somewhat on the trail but when you are hiking and sweating all day, you can't avoid smelling bad completely.I have to disagree somewhat. It's really not a matter of whether or not you smell, or whether or not it is possible to get youreself clean on the trail, or whether hot showers with soap and water are the only way to do that. I believe it is possible to get yourself just as clean on the trail as at a motel. Might not be as pleasant or convenient for some folks, but its possible.

Chef2000
03-25-2008, 19:07
You could say, "I went four days without seeing a sole soul."

Laughing out loud

weary
03-25-2008, 20:45

Be sure to let us know how you make out next year. Your's is an interesting goal, but not one that is easily, or frequently achieved. if ever. The trail is not wilderness, just the best long distance substitute available.

Hike the trail however you wish. But my advice is to be prepared to think, experience and change.

Weary

weary
03-25-2008, 20:50

There is no "extreme luxury" on the "trail" or near the trail. Towns are different. They have what all towns have -- well most of them do.

Weary

Capt.Scott
03-25-2008, 21:31

Drew, I will also be hiking south on the AT in 2009. I am twice your age, but look forward to hiking the non-wilderness, 'resupply in town' AT. I do not want to use the P-word so as not to offend anyone. I would like to limit town stops, zeros, but I basically plan on having the HOML while HMOH. PEACE.

smokymtnsteve
03-25-2008, 21:51
I have to disagree somewhat. It's really not a matter of whether or not you smell, or whether or not it is possible to get youreself clean on the trail, or whether hot showers with soap and water are the only way to do that. I believe it is possible to get yourself just as clean on the trail as at a motel. Might not be as pleasant or convenient for some folks, but its possible.

as a person who lives full time without running water nor indoor plumbing...what is the big deal about a shower?

Wilson
03-25-2008, 21:59
as a person who lives full time without running water nor indoor plumbing...what is the big deal about a shower?

But ya got the innernet, right..:) priorities.

smokymtnsteve
03-25-2008, 22:11
But ya got the innernet, right..:) priorities.

they internet doesn't freeze at -40F,

and I heat with woodstove , which is also how I heat my bath water.

indoor plumbing is very problematic in the sub-arctic,,but internet works fine.

however both the internet and indoor plumbing are full of ****!

clured
03-25-2008, 23:56
you are a fool

No, he's not a fool. Is he right? What is the longest solo backpacking trip that you have done? Not making accusations; just curious. I remember before I went last summer I was like "Why would anyone ever stay in a hotel while they're out hiking? Doesn't that like, totally defeat the purpose of backpacking? I'm just going to be a smelly BAMF and tarp it every night to be sweet and save money." But in my case, as with most people, such ideals don't seem quite so appealing when you're out there. Keep in mind that I still had a very rugged, aggressive, non-luxurious hike in comparson to most people; probably about 5-6 hotels/hostels (but LOTS of town food!).

rafe
03-26-2008, 01:33
you are a fool

Well, that may well be true, Drew, but your semi-literate opening post doesn't really merit any more of a response than you've already got. Have a great hike. ;)

rafe
03-26-2008, 01:37

Scarcity of water can be an issue, as can privacy and ambient temperature. Plus, you know, a hot sponge bath is almost out of the question. In general, good hygiene on the trail is a challenge... for me, anyway.

ki0eh
03-26-2008, 07:34
There is no "extreme luxury" on the "trail" or near the trail.

Hmm, I'm sure someone (BaldThing? :) ) must have figured out how many of these types of establishments are near the A.T.: http://www.wintergreenresort.com/packages_and_rates/spa_packages.aspx

This place even has a side trail http://hstrail.org/map_Dauphin.gif to it (although that would be a marathon day...) http://www.hersheypa.com/accommodations/the_spa_at_hotel_hershey/spa_treatments/everything_chocolate.html

JAK
03-26-2008, 07:38
Scarcity of water can be an issue, as can privacy and ambient temperature. Plus, you know, a hot sponge bath is almost out of the question. In general, good hygiene on the trail is a challenge... for me, anyway.I agree. It's a wicked challenge but it feels great when I do it, which ain't very often to be honest, and that's with a Kelly Kettle. Without a Kelly Kettle. Brrrrrr. And cold shaving. Forget it. OK, I'll taken a plunge in a cold stream if I am pumped up enough, but only if its sunny, and cold water will only get you so far. I think I'll practice more often with the Kelly Kettle. A larger pot might help also. Privacy isn't too much of an issue waist up, but the rest yeah. It sounds like the real limitation on the AT would be scarcity of water and fuel. There is the issue of impact on the environment. When there is lots of water and fuel you need little or no detergent, but under such conditions a little bio-friendly detergent doesn't cause much harm either, disposed of properly. I think the real challenge must be in dustier and sweatier environments with less water, and more sensitive ecosystems, and of course higher human traffic. Still, even then I think a little hot water and alcohol and baking soda every day might go a long way. I've been wondering how some of these merino sweaters I've been picking up at Marden's would hold up. In warmer climates you could use then short sleeved with open collars. I was wondering also if you might just rinse them in cold water every day at noon and keep hiking in them until they dry out again. I'm not sure they would hold up as well as a coarser sheep's wool. Something I would like to try anyways. Anyhow, challenges can be fun. I think if a person got good at it they could stay pretty clean without staying at motels or hitting laundromats.

Heater
03-26-2008, 08:55
I suspect that the more money you have for your hike, the more rooms you will get.

Panzer

Money talks, bullsheat walks...

JAK
03-26-2008, 08:58
I think the point Panzer1 was making was that money also walks.
If you don't bring too much money, you won't spend too much money.

Heater
03-26-2008, 09:52

No big deal at all... to you.

JAK
03-26-2008, 09:59
No big deal at all... to you.How do you know?
Some people still know how to keep themselves clean without running water.

Which is better anyways, someone that is capable of keeping themselves reasonably clean and odour free on a daily basis, who saunters into town, buys some groceries and a cup of coffee and lunch before heading back out to the trail; or your typical hiker that barely knows how to wipe his arse, and stays at the holiday inn express and leaves smelling like a daisy, but arrived smelling like skunk ****?

buff_jeff
03-26-2008, 10:11
How do you know?

Which is better anyways, someone that is capable of keeping themselves reasonably clean and odour free on a daily basis, who saunters into town, buys some groceries and a cup of coffee and lunch before heading back out to the trail; or your typical hiker that barely knows how to wipe his arse, and stays at the holiday inn express and leaves smelling like a daisy, but arrived smelling like skunk ****?

I just take Italian showers in the woods. :D

joel137
03-26-2008, 21:25

The only thing I could add to what others have is my own personal attitude and one comment. I compromise on the issue, only once have I stayed two nights in a town; in one completion and almost a second completion of the trail. However, I regularly stayed in town for a night of clean-up, resupply and town food. So while I visit towns, I don't get sucked into the "town vortex". To each his own.

The other point would be that you will see hikers packing a lot of luxuries on the trail at various times. You will need to get used to that in order to not let it ruin your trip.

Yahtzee
03-26-2008, 21:54
Also, it takes a strong person to leave all the good people you've met everytime you hit a town and they plan on staying and drinking and laughing and eating and showering and your choice is to leave them behind and head on back on out on the trail. Not saying it can't be done or such a trip wouldn't supply happiness to the person who chose that path. I just think it would be hard.

jesse
03-26-2008, 21:56
I just take Italian showers in the woods. :D

ok, I'll bite. What is an Italian shower?

Drew54
03-26-2008, 23:47
How do you know?

ahhhh hahaha.

noice! :clap

t-bor
03-27-2008, 02:30
the luxuray is all up to the individual but try walking thru hot springs or dumascus and not stoping for something

buff_jeff
03-27-2008, 08:21
ok, I'll bite. What is an Italian shower?

Just put deodorant everywhere.

I'm part Italian so if anybody here really takes themselves too seriously and was offended, I apologize.

sherrill
03-27-2008, 08:43
Part of what I enjoy about hiking is not having to put on deodorant or shave. Not that don't try to clean up every now and then!

warren doyle
03-27-2008, 11:48
You can walk the entire trail without ever taking a shower. I have.

rickb
03-27-2008, 12:32
You can walk the entire trail without ever taking a shower. I have.

I remember walking past the Warren Doyle Memorial Bath Tub on my way south.

Didn't really understand its importance at the time. But with your post above, I can see why all the effort.

JAK
03-27-2008, 12:46
Purely technical question.

If we were living in our natural state, would we sweat and smell differently?

OK, first some definitions:
By natural state I mean like say 5,000 to 10,000 years ago. Probably did a fair amount of nomadic travelling now and then, similar to hiking. Probably bathed now and then, when we got the chance. Probably didn't mind getting rained on now and then.

Generally speaking we probably sweated alot, and we probably smelled. However, we were probably thinner and more active, with less rich diets, so perhaps our sweat was thinner, not so rank maybe. I'm also wondering if our bodies sweat more today, and differently, because we are in the habit of showering every day with soap, so we need to sweat more and differently to try and keep the skin lubricated.

So my question is, have people noticed that their sweat is cleaner during periods where they are doing alot of hiking or running or biking, and able to take just rinsing showers rather than showers with heavy soap? Do you need less soap when you are more active?

Appalachian Tater
03-27-2008, 12:50
People used to use a LOT of cologne and perfume.

Ashman
03-27-2008, 12:56
And life expectancy was in the low 30's

wakapak
03-27-2008, 12:57
Purely technical question.

If we were living in our natural state, would we sweat and smell differently?

OK, first some definitions:
By natural state I mean like say 5,000 to 10,000 years ago. Probably did a fair amount of nomadic travelling now and then, similar to hiking. Probably bathed now and then, when we got the chance. Probably didn't mind getting rained on now and then.

Generally speaking we probably sweated alot, and we probably smelled. However, we were probably thinner and more active, with less rich diets, so perhaps our sweat was thinner, not so rank maybe. I'm also wondering if our bodies sweat more today, and differently, because we are in the habit of showering every day with soap, so we need to sweat more and differently to try and keep the skin lubricated.

So my question is, have people noticed that their sweat is cleaner during periods where they are doing alot of hiking or running or biking, and able to take just rinsing showers rather than showers with heavy soap? Do you need less soap when you are more active?

One thing i've noticed when hiking extended periods and doing other endurance activities, is that my sweat odor changes depending on what my diet is. the more sugar and crap i eat, the worse it smells really and the better i eat, the less it stinks. just a personal observation!

Appalachian Tater
03-27-2008, 13:13
The smell of your urine and feces is affected by what you eat as well.

rickb
03-27-2008, 16:41
Napoleon would have liked some of your approaches ont the Trail, I think.

He would write Josephine to make sure that she wouldn't bathe before he came home from a campaign.

JAK
03-27-2008, 16:56
One thing i've noticed when hiking extended periods and doing other endurance activities, is that my sweat odor changes depending on what my diet is. the more sugar and crap i eat, the worse it smells really and the better i eat, the less it stinks. just a personal observation!That is the same with me also. If I am doing alot of activity and drinking enough water and not eating too much crap, my sweat does seem to get less gungy after a day or two. If I can keep rinsing myself clean and rinsing out my clothes for the first few days I am thinking it might get easier after that. I will have to test this theory. Easy to do on the Fungi Footpath as their is alot of water and fuel for my Kelly Kettle. Also lots of rain. Problem has more to do with running out of trail, or time.