PDA

View Full Version : "No AT for me..." Update

Tanya
03-24-2008, 12:21
This morning my husband suggested that we do the whole thing, GA-ME, together in 2009!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think this is one of the happiest mornings of my life!!!!!!!!!

I'm already planning a day-long shopping trip to the local REI!
thank you all for your moral support and wisdom.

Hope to see on the trail next summer.

happy trails to all of you,
t.

Lone Wolf
03-24-2008, 12:23
all's well that ends well

warraghiyagey
03-24-2008, 12:24
Tanya, this is one of the great posts I've seen on WB. I'm so happy for you and your husband.
Have a great life girl, and a great hike.:):):)

wakapak
03-24-2008, 12:27
CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Glad things have taken a turn for you and your husband!!! Enjoy the whole process of planning and hiking together!!!

Jaybird62
03-24-2008, 12:31
That is great news.....Glad to hear it all worked out.....

GGS2
03-24-2008, 12:35
all's well that ends well

Wm. Shakespeare. Wolf quoting Shakespeare, will wonders never cease!

Cookerhiker
03-24-2008, 12:38
Great news! Hope you both enjoy the planning and the hiking together.

You live in NJ? Forget REI - go to Campmoor.

ScottP
03-24-2008, 13:29
Congratulations!

Appalachian Tater
03-24-2008, 13:32
That's great news!

Don't rush out and buy everything at once--you can get great deals as things come up on sale. Also, you might find some good deals at Sierra Trading Post.

dessertrat
03-24-2008, 13:36
This morning my husband suggested that we do the whole thing, GA-ME, together in 2009!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

t.

Not to be negative, but I hope he really means it-- does he have enough hiking experience to know what he's getting into?

warraghiyagey
03-24-2008, 13:38
Jeeziss
:rolleyes::cool:

musicwoman
03-24-2008, 13:41
Not to be negative, but I hope he really means it-- does he have enough hiking experience to know what he's getting into?

Thats kinda what I was thinking too.......I hope it all works out well!!

Tin Man
03-24-2008, 13:42
Tanya, Good for you. You do know that you face two tests now - the trail and maintaining a happy relationship doing the trail together.

Thru Hiker Wife
03-24-2008, 14:06
Congrats! I'm sure that's the best news ever to you!

Have fun planning and hiking and don't kill each other in the process. :D

canoehead
03-24-2008, 14:18
peace........

max patch
03-24-2008, 14:22

Inasmuch as only 15 percent or so of everyone who starts actually finishes, at some point you two should have a talk re what happens if/when one of you decides hiking for 6 months isn't for fun and wants to go home. What does the other person do?

Blissful
03-24-2008, 14:41

t.

I knew it!!!! :banana it works. Hubbys always come around eventually if we hang in there and be patient, he he

jesse
03-24-2008, 14:52
If he's, not a hiker, and is just doing it to make you happy, he probably will not make it to Neel Gap. To finish a thru-hike, you have to want it. Now that you have him, agreeing to go I would suggest you take the thru-hike off the table. Have him go out with you on some short, then longer section hikes. If he wants to do it, let it be him deciding to do it.

warraghiyagey
03-24-2008, 14:54
If he wants to do it, let it be him deciding to do it.

He already did. It's OK that it worked out this way. :)

jesse
03-24-2008, 15:18
just sayin, 3 days ago ...
my husband is absolutely against me taking off for 3.5 months

and 3 day later he wants to do a thru-hike.

in her first thread she admitted.....

I even tried emotional balck-mail

I know that he said, what she wanted him to say, but I doubt in 3 days he has gone from "absolutely against" to "committed thru-hiker"

obtw, Tanya, I hope it all works out to your mutual enjoyment

warraghiyagey
03-24-2008, 15:27
That's the power of love

Jan LiteShoe
03-24-2008, 15:50
I agree that you have to really really want a thru-hike to make it happen. Really REALLY. Not just the hike itself, which is exhausting in addition to exhilirating (for some), but the whole re-arranging of the home life that has to go on to make the first step off Springer.

I think the wise suggestion mentioned earlier was good: plan an easy, eye-popping overnight with lots of payoff, in good weather. Followed by longer and longer tastes of what such a life might be like. Give reality time to take a bite.

You'll know soon enough the reality of the situation, and after experiencing the hiking life, if he falls in love with it - great! And if he decides it not for him, he might be familiar enough, and okay enough with it by then to let you go on alone. To be GLAD to let you go on alone.

I thought Skids' question about knowing what his dreams were/are was germane as well, though I respect your decision not to discuss it publicly.

However it shakes out, I wish the best for the both of you. Heart to heart honesty is always better than emotional blackmail, if the long run is important. I think your original post showed some rueful awareness of that.

Bob S
03-24-2008, 17:13
One thing I would be concerned with (as others have said) is lack of backpacking experience for him.

I would think it’s in both of your best interest to get out and do a few shorter trips this summer to see how it goes.

I would also talk about and have a plan if he doesn’t want to continue the hike after you start. (I can’t imagine a first time backpacker doing a through-hike and not having thoughts of dropping out.) He could drop out for a while and pick up again at a point down the trail when you get to that point and do some more of the trail with you. I would also plan on hostels as a way of relieving some of the trail stress for both of you. A little bit of civilization goes a long way to improve ones outlook.

The more you work through this stuff now, the better prepared for it you both will be if it happens. And the better for your relationship & hike will be.

BlueFireGasm
03-24-2008, 17:52
GREAT!!!! I'm so glad you're pursuing your dream, AND with your husbands best wishes and support-that's a plus! Glad he is going to experience the trail with you. There is nothing like it in the world and it's something you both will remember for the rest of your lives!!! Now you can share the quality time together you may need. This will clear both your minds and souls before you return home, that's a promise. Very spiritual and cleansing experience. I'm so haaaaaappppyy for you both!!!!
Happy Trails!!!

Programbo
03-24-2008, 18:58
I am very happy that you are so happy and I really hope all works out well and both you and your husband have a lifetime of memories.....BUT.....You did say:

By the way, hiking is not his thing at all, at least not this kind of hardcore hiking. So it's not like we could it together. It would have been my solo adventure.

I have to worry about his sudden wanting to do something that seemed so against his nature...I would suggest you both start doing a lot of day hikes and things together

Heater
03-24-2008, 18:59

t.

That's good news! :sun

But... Don't go buy all your gear in one day at REI. Not a good idea. :-?