PDA

View Full Version : Long DIstance Hiking

HeadiesHiker11
03-24-2008, 16:56
For the final paper in a class this semester I have to write a 2500 word research paper and i though i would write it on Long distance Hiking.

I wish i could use everyones information on the paper but there is no way to cite a internet forum. But i would like some input on web pages, articles, books and things such as that. Some web pages that also includes dietary information would help alot.

thanks for the help any input will be greatly appreciated.

warraghiyagey
03-24-2008, 17:01
Plenty of that very info right here on the homepage. Check articles in the left side bar.

sonic
03-24-2008, 17:03
Go to the Whiteblaze home page and check out all of the links under "articles". That should give you a really good start on what it is all about. Also try ALDHA.org and appalachiantrail.org. Oh, And use spell check!

HeadiesHiker11
03-24-2008, 17:19
Yeah i noticed once i posted that. Spell check saves my life. I have already looked at the articles on WB but i need several sources for a Annotated Biblography.

wilconow
03-24-2008, 17:27
There are several good books on the subject, can you buy some from amazon?

FFTorched
03-24-2008, 17:30
You don't have to cite a forum, you can cite the individual, it's like an interview. And don't forget the book "The Complete Walker."

If you want to quote something someone says just PM them and see if they will consent get their real name with trail name in quotations. Then site it like this: Bob "The Trail Wizard" Smith who has hiked extensively says "The most important thing about hiking is the planning phase."

*Note I just made that up off the top of my head but then you have a legitimate way to sight some on on whiteblaze. Also note the date and in the bibliography say you got it threw an interview via correspondence.

Hell I'll see if there is an MLA Formatt for citing a message board for you.

Appalachian Tater
03-24-2008, 17:37
You can cite web pages, but the problem is that the source may hot be considered scholarly, especially on forums. The articles here on this site should satisfy a primary or secondary school teacher. When I review manuscripts for a peer-reviewed journal, having internet references is a positive factor.

Lastname, Firstname. "Article Title." Site Name. Article date.
Organization Name. Date of access <URL>.

Here's a more complete guide: http://www.liu.edu/CWIS/CWP/library/workshop/citation.htm

Your manual of style should have complete information about internet sources as well, and the exact format depends on the standards (MLA, Chicago, etc.) your teacher dictates.

FFTorched
03-24-2008, 17:38
Here is an MLA format cite that would be useful. At the bottom it tells how to cite almost everything.

http://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/557/01/

GGS2
03-24-2008, 19:07
Yeah, you can cite anything, provided you can describe the source. One old favourite is "personal communication." If you do cite the web, you should preserve a copy, either electronic or hard copy, in case of challenges. Of course, this material would be useful as data rather than authority, in most cases. So you are probably going to be challenged on the basis of validity of data. The only unassailable position is that this is the published opinion or report of the individual cited, similar to a citation for a news report. If YOU know what you are doing with this stuff, then you should be in a position to defend it.

Tin Man
03-24-2008, 19:14
http://www.appalachiantrail.org/site/c.jkLXJ8MQKtH/b.715465/k.9731/Hike_The_Trail.htm

http://aldha.org/fever.htm

http://aldha.org/headlamp.htm

ki0eh
03-25-2008, 19:16
You can cite web pages, but the problem is that the source may hot be considered scholarly, especially on forums. The articles here on this site should satisfy a primary or secondary school teacher. When I review manuscripts for a peer-reviewed journal, having internet references is a positive factor.

Well, maybe not the posts, but would the "Articles" on WB count as peer-reviewed, in fact if not in form?

Lion King
03-25-2008, 19:21
For the final paper in a class this semester I have to write a 2500 word research paper and i though i would write it on Long distance Hiking.

I wish i could use everyones information on the paper but there is no way to cite a internet forum. But i would like some input on web pages, articles, books and things such as that. Some web pages that also includes dietary information would help alot.

thanks for the help any input will be greatly appreciated.

When is it due?

Now, use that information and take off on a hike till three days before its due and sit down and type it out.

2 days to rest and think, 1 day to type.

No one can relate to life experiance like the one having it and that will translate into a good paper.

Internet is just a cold hearted machine, the trails are cold hearted reality.:D

HeadiesHiker11
03-26-2008, 21:52
thanks for all of the information i am doing research right now, all of the cited sources need to be in by the fourth but the rest of the paper is due at the end of april.

Nearly Normal
03-26-2008, 23:31
Hiking might give you some input.