PDA

View Full Version : Kennebec Ferry Still Running??

Cindy from Indy
03-24-2008, 20:47
Did anyone else read the article in the latest A.T. Journey's magazine about how Steve Longley/www.riversandtrails.com (http://www.riversandtrails.com) is ending his and his company's association with running the ferry????

And, that at the time of the printing of the mag, a new "ferryman" had not been found yet.

Anyone have any info on this???:confused:

Skidsteer
03-24-2008, 20:57
Uh oh.

. .

KG4FAM
03-24-2008, 21:32
I noticed that in my copy of Appalachian Pages that his store was not listed. Is this correct?

Lone Wolf
03-24-2008, 21:34
fording is fun

Tin Man
03-24-2008, 21:37
The ATC is accepting bids for the ferry business...

http://www.appalachiantrail.org/site/c.jkLXJ8MQKtH/b.1563191/k.A046/Trail_Clubs.htm

warraghiyagey
03-24-2008, 21:50
This from Steve Longley dated Nov. 11 '07.

Ferry Service to continue...
While I will not be providing the ferry service in 2008, there will be a free ferry service for hikers from about May 16 thru Oct 6. After 20 years of service to the AT hiking community, I will not be operating the ferry service, trail resupply store or the hiker hostel in 2008.

Almost There
03-24-2008, 21:55
fording is fun

Ya' know, I'm thinking....I'm not built for speed, I'm built for power...so maybe fording isn't such a bad idea...after all I do weigh more than 250, don't think I'm getting dislodged that easily.:cool:

Lone Wolf
03-24-2008, 21:57
Ya' know, I'm thinking....I'm not built for speed, I'm built for power...so maybe fording isn't such a bad idea...after all I do weigh more than 250, don't think I'm getting dislodged that easily.:cool:

just do it early in the morning

warren doyle
03-24-2008, 21:59
The river awaits the new era of fording after a 20-year semi-hiatus.

"At least if the human species has lost its animal strength, its individual members can have the satisfaction of discovering it again."

Almost There
03-24-2008, 22:22
just do it early in the morning

That'll be the key...what time I hit it, hope to hit it early though!

naturejunkie
03-25-2008, 12:05
This from Steve Longley dated Nov. 11 '07.

Ferry Service to continue...
While I will not be providing the ferry service in 2008, there will be a free ferry service for hikers from about May 16 thru Oct 6. After 20 years of service to the AT hiking community, I will not be operating the ferry service, trail resupply store or the hiker hostel in 2008.

Well, I wish him the best, but that just sucks for us!

weary
03-25-2008, 12:32
This from the new ferry contractor:

"Since 1987, except for one season off in 2003, Steve Longley at Rivers And Trails Northeast has been the official Appalachian Trail/Kennebec River Ferry Man. When Steve decided, after twenty years of dedicated service, that he would retire at the end of the 2007 season, there was naturally some concern about who would replace him.

"I was working for Steve when he mentioned that he was going to be retiring, and he asked me if I would be interested in biding on the contract for the 2008 season. Since I enjoyed the job, and Steve thought I was qualified, it didn't take me long to decide that, yes, I was interested.

"Perhaps this would be a good time to tell you a little about myself. I am a Registered Maine Master Guide, and I have been working and playing on the Kennebec for over fifteen years. I run Fletcher Mountain Outfitters, which is a full time, four season, Lodge and Guide Service, in Concord Township, just down river from the ferry crossing. Durring the 2007 season I spent an average of three days per week working at the ferry crossing, and personally ferried over four hundred and forty hikers across the river. By the end of the 2007 season I was confident that my previous experience, combined with Steve's careful training, made me the most qualified person to take over after his retirement.

"Apparently, the Appalachian Trail Conservancy agreed, because in early March I recieved a letter informing me that I had been awarded the ferry contract for the 2008, 2009, and 2010 seasons.

"In keeping with previous years, the 2008 ferry season will run from Memorial Day weekend through Columbus Day weekend. The details of time and date are:

"May 23 to July 17: 9AM to 11AM only
July 18 to September 30: 9AM to 11AM and also 2PM to 4PM
October 1 to October 13: 9AM to 11AM only

"Before and after these dates, ferry service is provided on a "time and weather permitting" basis, and hikers should contact me well in advance to make an apointment.

"It is my hope that under my leadership, Fletcher Mountain Outfitters will continue the tradition of reliability, safety, and service to the hiking comunity that Steve Longley worked so hard to maintain durring his twenty years of service.

"If anyone has questions or comments about the ferry service, please feel free to contact me.

"I'll see you on the river."

David P. Corrigan
Registered Maine Master Guide
Fletcher Mountain Outfitters
82 Little Houston Brook Road
Concord Twp., Maine

warraghiyagey
03-25-2008, 12:36
Would be cool if we could get him to post here once in awhile.

Lone Wolf
03-25-2008, 12:37
Would be cool if we could get him to post here once in awhile.

would be "cool" why?

Tin Man
03-25-2008, 12:40
So we can argue some more about the merits of fording vs. canoeing? :D

warraghiyagey
03-25-2008, 12:44
would be "cool" why?

Because he's a human being involved with the trail many of us love.;)

mudhead
03-25-2008, 12:46
Different viewpoint. Streamside, no less.