PDA

View Full Version : Where's Coup?

aficion
03-25-2008, 08:36
Anybody seen him? I'm very curious about his early mileages under that load.

Lone Wolf
03-25-2008, 08:37
who is coup?

max patch
03-25-2008, 08:43
He's the heavy hiker.

No updates on golite yet, which is supposed to have em.

aficion
03-25-2008, 08:52
Forty day no resupply guy. Started several days ago. Thought we might hear something by now.

Lone Wolf
03-25-2008, 09:01
he's couped up in a motel with a bad back

wakapak
03-25-2008, 09:05
he's couped up in a motel with a bad back

haha!! now that's funny!!

Tin Man
03-25-2008, 09:05
His Go-Lite pack split wide open and he spilled all over the trail

aficion
03-25-2008, 09:34
Bad back, busted pack, great big snack.

max patch
03-25-2008, 09:35
Got stuck in Justus Creek.

Dholmblad
03-25-2008, 11:50
The golite pack I used for 3 days split with 25-30lb, no way anything they produce is going to hold 125lb.

JAK
03-25-2008, 14:53
I think a well designed and well built and well packed pack might be able to carry 40 pounds for every pound of pack weight. I would think they would want something to weigh at least 3 pounds for 120 pounds. Typically they would run out of volume first though, even with dense food. What pack is he using?

JAK
03-25-2008, 15:01
This should be able to carry 127# if it was packed well. 5480ci weighing 3.5 pounds.
http://www.golite.com/Product/proddetail.aspx?p=PA5258&s=1

This one I am not so sure.
http://www.golite.com/product/proddetail.aspx?p=PA5252&s=1

max patch
03-25-2008, 16:38
He's fallen and he can't get up.

Tin Man
03-25-2008, 16:40
He found someone breaking into his bacon stash.

max patch
03-25-2008, 16:42
He weighed his pack at Amicalola SP and pulled the whole building down.

JAK
03-25-2008, 16:43
His pack didn't fail.
He was torn apart by a pack of thru-hikers.

JAK
03-25-2008, 16:44
Just goes to show, it might me safe to carry over $100 in cash,
but more than 100 pounds of food, forget it.

GGS2
03-25-2008, 16:44
He's got a whole factory and a prototype shop behind him, so he could be carrying a special edition. Did he say he was carrying a standard model? I remember he spoke of expedition packing, so they may be branching out?

JAK
03-25-2008, 16:46
Their largest pack weighs 3.5 pounds.
I think that would have been the proper choice.

Tin Man
03-25-2008, 16:47
He's got a whole factory and a prototype shop behind him, so he could be carrying a special edition. Did he say he was carrying a standard model? I remember he spoke of expedition packing, so they may be branching out?

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. No way a standard edition would hold up. But then he has to be careful how he presents his accomplishment. He would not want others demonstrating how the Go-Lite standard could not do what he claims.

aficion
03-25-2008, 16:53
I'm a little surprised no one has seen him. He'd be hard to miss.

saimyoji
03-25-2008, 16:59
Did any of you read the original blog linked on one of these threads? It details his pack list.

aficion
03-25-2008, 17:04
Read it and saw photo of pack. Amazing irony here.

Jack Tarlin
03-25-2008, 17:16
He was seen talking on a call phone earlier this afternoon maybe seen or eight miles south of Neel Gap. I doubt he'll be here by tonight; will let you all know if he comes by tomorrow. He's probably pretty difficult to miss.

Lone Wolf
03-25-2008, 17:21
hmmm. day 5 and he's covered less than 30 miles. hmmm :-?

Jack Tarlin
03-25-2008, 17:24
Correctomundo, Wolf. Something tells me he won't be needing those Pennsylvania maps on this trip. :rolleyes:

Lone Wolf
03-25-2008, 17:27
Correctomundo, Wolf. Something tells me he won't be needing those Pennsylvania maps on this trip. :rolleyes:

or virginia

Skidsteer
03-25-2008, 17:48

He claims it's off the rack, not a specially built pack.

Bulldawg
03-25-2008, 20:29
He was seen talking on a call phone earlier this afternoon maybe seen or eight miles south of Neel Gap. I doubt he'll be here by tonight; will let you all know if he comes by tomorrow. He's probably pretty difficult to miss.

Dang Jack, I was thinking of heading up to Winton's Saturday to see if he could make it across 129 fast enough to keep from getting hit by a motorcycle!!:D:D TAKE PICTURES WHEN HE GETS THERE!!!

clured
03-25-2008, 21:31
I think this is awesome. GoLite packs are very strong. I carried a Jam1 last summer on the AT, and other than discoloration from all the water and dirt it shows almost no structural wear.

This dude must be one sturdy spark plug to carry that kind of weight. I have little chicken legs, and that load would make my knees break..

Mags
03-26-2008, 10:46
This dude must be one sturdy spark plug to carry that kind of weight. I have little chicken legs, and that load would make my knees break..

Tallish, "big guy".

We'll see how it goes.

The ultimate goal of this hike is publicize GoLite...and it is working in spades. :)

I am curious why the AT of all trails. Why not the CDT where there are long spots between resupplies. Loading up with food on that trail makes a bit more sense. Then again, if things go bad on the CDT you are a lot more isolated.

Whatever floats a person's boat...

I have a Jam II that I plan on using next winter for a ski tour I (tentatively) have planned. See if I can apply a lighter load to winter use. WE'll see.

The Go-Lite sale here in town has been amazing in past years. The Jam was a whopping $30. I did not even have to go to the sale because my roomie at the time worked the sale. :) So far, I like the pack. It replaced my very beat up day pack.

Jack Tarlin
03-26-2008, 14:47
News:

Coup is here in Neel Gap (actually got in last night). He's doing great, but for any number of reasons, he's decided to skip the 40-day thing; instead, since he gets out here so seldom, (he's based in Boulder), he's decided to explore the area at his leisure and have some fun, which I think is very wise indeed. He particularly is interested in checking out the Smokies.

For those who care about such things, his pack was indeed straight off the rack and was not altered or re-inforced in any way I could see. When I tried the thing on (the only other person who has, by the way), it weighed at least 125 pounds; I walked around 80 yards and up a flight of stairs and was very happy to be rid of the thing. That he got here from Springer in that beast is pretty impressive. Sorta nuts, but impressive.

In any case, very nice guy, very down to earth, has a great laugh, and is a good storyteller. If nothing else, I've come away from this with a new opinion of Go-Lite. I'm still not sure what the pack would've looked like if he had continued for 40 days, but he got here with it, which quite frankly, I wasn't sure could be done.

Touche, Coup.

P.S According to Winton Porter, Coup now owns the record for most unwanted stuff sent home from Neel Gap (121 pounds!), and I don't think tis is a record that anyone's gona bust anytime soon! :D

Lone Wolf
03-26-2008, 14:49
lots quit at neel gap cuz it's there

JAK
03-26-2008, 15:11
Bummer. Maybe he was starting off slow and planning on picking it up later. Anyhow, must be a cool guy to try something like that and then have the balls to be willing to quite when something better comes along. We should be more like that, not in all things maybe, but in some things.

Some one should do the 40 days and 40 nights thing sometime though. Set a distance record for unsupplied 40 days and 40 nights. 400 miles would be a nice start. If you don't aim too far you don't need as much food. Also, you could pace yourself early and then fastpack the last bit, assuming you avoid injury early. Actually I think overnight walking towards the end would probably be more efficient than trail running. I don't think I would want to start out with more than 300 pounds skin out. I know I can carry that much as I sometimes put my daughter on my shoulders along with my pack. But I don't go more than a km at a time that way. At 230 pounds that is only 70 pounds skin out, and would only allow 50 pounds of food maybe. With my body fat that might be enough for 40 days and 40 nights and 400 miles maybe. Not sure. It would be alot easier if my body weight was closer to 155 pounds, like it was when I went through basic training. Skinny with strong legs is definitely the way to go, I think.

warren doyle
03-27-2008, 12:04
That journey was short-lived.

"30 miles of fame"

Deadeye
03-27-2008, 12:07
Where's Coup? Who cares.

Jack Tarlin
03-27-2008, 13:08
Warren Doyle's "30 Miles of Fame" comment was quite the cheap shot, especially when we consider that it comes from someone who is obsessed with self-publicizing his own exploits on the A.T. and has done so for years. Who, after all, among all serious long-distance hikers, insists on letting complete strangers know his accumulated Trail mileage when he signs trail registers? Who, among all long-distance hikers, is deluded enough to think that anyone cares?

Gee, I can only think of one guy......

In point of fact, Coup is better known in the outdoor world than Warren Doyle, and in helping lead the revolution in creating and marketing lightweight backpacking gear, Coup has probably done more to help the long-distance hiking community in a few short years than Warren Doyle has done in more than three decades.

In short, Coup was deservedly well-known long before his trip this year. Hundreds of people will have better hikes this year because of Coup's creativity, his innovations, and his efforts to make it easier for long-distance hikers to achieve their dreams.

Can Mr. Doyle say the same?

JAK
03-27-2008, 13:14
I just think its great just to see a successful guy like hime out hiking and not afraid to try some crazy stuff for fear of what people might say. Go Coup.

Jack Tarlin
03-27-2008, 13:25
Hey, he was out doing a field test of his own stuff, in order to test its performance under actual conditions. And the test was an honest one.....his pack really was right off the rack, untampered with, and un-improved. Instead of having some flunky do it, he took it out in the mountains himself. Good for him.

JAK
03-27-2008, 13:28
Do you know which pack it was Jack? Just curious about weight and volume.
Was it this one, or was it one of the smaller or lighter ones:

Jack Tarlin
03-27-2008, 13:30
I believe the pack is called the Odyssey, and was a men's medium.

JAK
03-27-2008, 13:32
Might have been this one.
http://www.golite.com/product/proddetail.aspx?p=PA5252&s=1

I might get one of those for winter as my JAM2 is a bit tight on volume in winter.

JAK
03-27-2008, 13:33
Oops. Missed your last post. So it was the Oddesey then.
3.5 pounds 5500ci
Good to know it can take a beating.

A-Train
03-27-2008, 13:36
Warren Doyle's "30 Miles of Fame" comment was quite the cheap shot, especially when we consider that it comes from someone who is obsessed with self-publicizing his own exploits on the A.T. and has done so for years. Who, after all, among all serious long-distance hikers, insists on letting complete strangers know his accumulated Trail mileage when he signs trail registers? Who, among all long-distance hikers, is deluded enough to think that anyone cares?

Gee, I can only think of one guy......

In point of fact, Coup is better known in the outdoor world than Warren Doyle, and in helping lead the revolution in creating and marketing lightweight backpacking gear, Coup has probably done more to help the long-distance hiking community in a few short years than Warren Doyle has done in more than three decades.

In short, Coup was deservedly well-known long before his trip this year. Hundreds of people will have better hikes this year because of Coup's creativity, his innovations, and his efforts to make it easier for long-distance hikers to achieve their dreams.

Can Mr. Doyle say the same?

How quick we are to change tunes, huh Jack?

A couple days ago you thought this guy was "pretty stupid" and part of a "pulicity stunt" and that his Golite packs you seem to have a new found love for will break after "4 pounds over the specs".

And yesterday you claimed records were stupid.

But now that you've brushed elbows with the guy, he's the salt of the earth and his company has made significant contributions to the greater good of the long-distance hiking community.

Which is it?

Did his aborted hike change your mind?

JAK
03-27-2008, 13:38
The press release doesn't mention equipment.
Talks more about the purpose. Mentions the current record is 620 miles.
http://www.golite.com/PDF/pressrelease/AT%20release_final.pdf

He sounds like a really interesting and down to earth guy, like you said Jack.

Jack Tarlin
03-27-2008, 13:42
A-Train:

Go read my Post# 32 above, where I very clearly said that if nothing else, I now have a different opinion of Go-Lite Products, which in the past, I thought were pretty chintzy and poorly constructed.

The guy hiked over rough terrain with around 135 pounds in a pack designed for MUCH less, so yeah, I'm impressed. I thought the thing would blow up after a few short miles, and I was very much mistaken.

There's nothing intrinsically wrong, A-Train, with rethinking one's opinions, or even acknowledging that one might have been incorrect with one's thinking. Some other folks here should try this sometime.

And I was indeed mistaken about Go-Lite packs.

In re. to whether or not trying 40 days unsupported was stupid and a publicity hike, well, I still think so. It was pretty stupid.

And Coup said so, too. :D

JAK
03-27-2008, 13:42
I think it would be great to do 40 days and 40 nights sometime. It sounds biblical.
You could always spend the first few days as zero days until the pack is light enough. :)

I think I would try and do it with less than 120 pounds though.
Wonder how much weight I could lose. :-?

Tin Man
03-27-2008, 17:00
A-Train:

Go read my Post# 32 above, where I very clearly said that if nothing else, I now have a different opinion of Go-Lite Products, which in the past, I thought were pretty chintzy and poorly constructed.

The guy hiked over rough terrain with around 135 pounds in a pack designed for MUCH less, so yeah, I'm impressed. I thought the thing would blow up after a few short miles, and I was very much mistaken.

There's nothing intrinsically wrong, A-Train, with rethinking one's opinions, or even acknowledging that one might have been incorrect with one's thinking. Some other folks here should try this sometime.

In re. to whether or not trying 40 days unsupported was stupid and a publicity hike, well, I still think so. It was pretty stupid.

There is a good lesson in there for all. It is easy to formulate opinions about a person or a piece of equipment or whatever without complete information. After stating an opinion, it is the person of good character that can change his mind and announce it to all when the assumptions have been proven incorrect. It has been my observation that not many will do that, especially in an open forum. I too assumed that pack failure was imminent and I was wrong. Nice work Jack and thanks for the story behind the man.

swellbill
03-27-2008, 20:27
A-Train:

http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/signs011.gif

I'm not right all the time either OK...hardly ever, but we all should be man enough (or dignified woman enough) to admit when we learn something new - which is what Jack did, learned something new.

Again, well said Jack

warren doyle
03-27-2008, 22:27
Can Mr. Doyle say the same?[/quote]

No I can't, simply because I don't have a shriveled s***.

Dances with Mice
03-28-2008, 06:34
No I can't, simply because I don't have a shriveled s***.I keep trying various combinations of letters to make sense out of that sentence. I'm drawing a blank. I got nothing.

Anybody else make any headway or am I the only one stumped?

Tin Man
03-28-2008, 06:44
I keep trying various combinations of letters to make sense out of that sentence. I'm drawing a blank. I got nothing.

Anybody else make any headway or am I the only one stumped?

What makes you think he would start making sense now?

Thoughtful Owl
03-28-2008, 08:16
Making sense? I was told I must be senseless, to want to go out and hike on the AT or anyother trail for that matter. Simply to go out and hike with a 30 lb. pack on my back, sleeping in the cold/heat in the woods, with bears and masquitos, no shower, eating lord knows what, not having a television or telephone at hand etc...and they say I am senseless?

Tin Man
03-28-2008, 08:22
It doesn't make much sense being a hiker or a hiker wannabe... or a pack sniffer for that mater. It doesn't make any cents either.

notorius tic
03-28-2008, 08:25
I had 2pnds of chocolate yesterday found it about 40yrds from the Bear ridden remains of a pound of BACON<:::::

JAK
03-28-2008, 08:35
I keep trying various combinations of letters to make sense out of that sentence. I'm drawing a blank. I got nothing.

Anybody else make any headway or am I the only one stumped?Nearest I got was sock.

Dances with Mice
03-28-2008, 08:41
Nearest I got was sock.Puzzling, isn't it? Could it be an anagram?

JAK
03-28-2008, 08:51
I think it resulted from fast typing and/or retyping and a blend of two ideas, don't give a s*** and shrivelled d***. Still, its fun to try and think up some possibilities.

No wait. I've got it!!!

"No I can't, simply because I don't have a shriveled sack."

Really not that bad, given the thread topic.

aaroniguana
03-28-2008, 08:52
I gave it a moments thought. Then I spent another moment wondering why I wasted a moment. Then I put on some Chet Baker and went to the fridge for a beer.

JAK
03-28-2008, 08:53
The only other nasty 4 letter word starting with s was snow, but that didn't make any sense.

Tin Man
03-28-2008, 08:57
I gave it a moments thought. Then I spent another moment wondering why I wasted a moment. Then I put on some Chet Baker and went to the fridge for a beer.

Um, hopefully you did that last night and not this morning. ;)

BTW - yours is the only reasonable response.

aaroniguana
03-28-2008, 09:08
Thanks. Something wrong with Chet Baker in the morning?

Tin Man
03-28-2008, 09:12
Thanks. Something wrong with Chet Baker in the morning?

Not really. Grab a beer for me on your next trip to the fridge.

aaroniguana
03-28-2008, 09:13
Done and done!

Lion King
03-28-2008, 11:51
okay, before I head out of Lyons Kansas this a.m. I have to say thanks to Coup for my gear.

I was sponsered by them and use the same pack as he does (5500 Odyssey). It carries 50-60 pounds or so pretty well, and the Jacket I have had since I left in June is still in one piece and the Golite Timberland shoes are the balls.

also, the Golite Doze was great till winter hit hard, but super light and comfy for Summer/Spring hiking.

you can see the pack and shoes in any of the video clips.

This is the 5th pair I think, but still, they are great on the feet and worth every penny, if I didnt get them free.

125 pounds is insane though...I thought I carried to much stuff.

Lion King
03-28-2008, 11:54
The only other nasty 4 letter word starting with s was snow, but that didn't make any sense.

I think the word "Have" should be "Give" and the final word of course is slang for feces, if my puzzle solving skills are on point...

Dances with Mice
03-28-2008, 12:03
I think the word "Have" should be "Give" and the final word of course is slang for feces, if my puzzle solving skills are on point...Perhaps the discussions about trips to the fridge for beer are more on point than the authors realize. That would explain many of Mr Doyle's other postings and all of the ones he wrote last night.

aaroniguana
03-28-2008, 12:07
Whoa... I am, like, Kreskin man....

Lion King
03-28-2008, 12:08
Whoa... I am, like, Kreskin man....

your Magic helped me for certian!:)

weary
03-28-2008, 12:30
How quick we are to change tunes, huh Jack?

A couple days ago you thought this guy was "pretty stupid" and part of a "pulicity stunt" and that his Golite packs you seem to have a new found love for will break after "4 pounds over the specs".

And yesterday you claimed records were stupid.

But now that you've brushed elbows with the guy, he's the salt of the earth and his company has made significant contributions to the greater good of the long-distance hiking community.

Which is it?

Did his aborted hike change your mind?
There's nothing like human contact, to change ones prejudices.

Weary

Tin Man
03-28-2008, 12:34
There's nothing like human contact, to change ones prejudices.

Weary

Guess you have never met any conservatives. :D

weary
03-28-2008, 12:44
Guess you have never met any conservatives. :D
Actually, when I wrote my comment I had a sentence dealing with the special case of conservatives. But I erased it after a few seconds to avoid making this a political thread.

Weary

Tin Man
03-28-2008, 12:47
Actually, when I wrote my comment I had a sentence dealing with the special case of conservatives. But I erased it after a few seconds to avoid making this a political thread.

Weary

Correct approach and I meant no harm. :)

Marta
03-28-2008, 12:49
...At 230 pounds that is only 70 pounds skin out, and would only allow 50 pounds of food maybe...

This is along the lines of what I was thinking--"pre-eat" and bring along about half your food as stored body fat. Lose weight and reduce your packweight all at the same time.

I won't be signing up for this little exercise, though. Way too painful for my taste.:D

aaroniguana
03-28-2008, 13:08
your Magic helped me for certian!:)

Git 'er done, buy me a beer later.

warren doyle
04-01-2008, 11:41
From Roget's Thesaurus:

essence; substance; life; person; inmost; genius; affections; in hell; of the dead; spirit

Flush2wice
04-29-2008, 20:58
Here's a Backpacker Magazine blog about Coup's attempt that quotes Jack Tarlin in this thread.
http://www.backpacker.com/blogs/142

Skidsteer
04-29-2008, 21:19
In other news, Coup is reportedly considering having his company name tatooed backwards on his forehead.

wahoo
04-30-2008, 14:26
I know what he's carrying in that huge pack...cash money, that's what.
I hear he's burying some of it out on the trail. Now that's the ultimate trail angel...!
Read this article if you haven't seen it already:

http://www.inc.com/magazine/20070301/features-deal-playing-hard-to-get.html

Darwin again
04-30-2008, 23:31
Selling out is prudent about now, before the really big economic crashes start eliminating discretionary spending on overpriced gear. Let Timberland take the write downs.;)

Mags
05-01-2008, 10:37
Timberland has been making their shoes for a while.

Rumor has it that the warehouse sales here in Boulder and Denver are to get rid of the surplus schwag before Timberland takes over.

Shame to see a smaller company merge with a larger company yet again.

Nature of the industry I guess.

wahoo
05-01-2008, 11:59
As much as we don't like it, it's surely a good business move for them, and I don't blame them one bit.