PDA

View Full Version : snow and cold

sheepdog
03-25-2008, 10:46
Four inches of snow today...10 below zero yesterday morning...Spring seems so far away...sometimes it's tough to be a yankee. Someone tell me about their nice sunny weather so I can be jealouse.

envirodiver
03-25-2008, 10:51
Sun is shining here in Nashvegas and supposed to be in the mid 70's this PM.

Funny thing is that we would love to have some snow every now and then and get very excited when it does snow. So excited in fact that we celebrate by having a demolition derby on the highways.

I guess the snow is always whiter on the other side of the Mason-Dixon line.

sheepdog
03-25-2008, 10:59
I like the snow but it has been on the ground since November.......
Ahhhh 70 and sunny, I remember that. thanks

envirodiver
03-25-2008, 11:17
I've a friend in Michigan and they've been saying they are pretty tired of it about now.

sheepdog
03-25-2008, 11:26
I have a daughter that lives in Murfreesburro. We drove down there a couple weeks ago for some sunny weather. We got 2 inches of snow. No luck at all.:mad:

Rowdy Yates
03-25-2008, 11:28
Weatherman here in West Michigan says that we have had in excess of 100" this winter and it isn't over yet. Today the wind is blowing hard, snow and sleet is whirling about, in short it is cooooooold. Maybe next week?

bloodmountainman
03-25-2008, 11:31
We'll start seeing some real spring-time in Ga. later this week. Upper 70's by Thursday!!! Perfect hiking temps day and night. Gotta get out there this weekend!!:sun

quasarr
03-25-2008, 11:40
sorry sheepdog, no can do! right now in NC we're having what I hope is the last cold day of the year. This morning it was a frigid 40 degrees! I could barely start my car. Brrrrr ;)

but tomorrow's forecast - high 70. that's porch sittin weather :sun

Blissful
03-25-2008, 11:44
It got down to 23 degrees here in VA. I thought about the hikers up in the Smokies last night. Will be better later this week.

woodsy
03-25-2008, 12:22
Four inches of snow today...10 below zero yesterday morning...Spring seems so far away...sometimes it's tough to be a yankee. Someone tell me about their nice sunny weather so I can be jealouse.

Andover, ME reporting about 190 inches of snow so far this winter(still) with temps around O last couple nights. Higher amounts of snow in higher elevations.
Solar radiation increasing daily, Beaver have come out from under the ice in places looking for a fresh spring treat, "Moose" and Deer are starting to roam
on hard crusty snow.
Mainiacs are experiencing a taste of spring with temps busting the freezing mark.:rolleyes:

quasarr
03-25-2008, 12:24
Mainiacs are experiencing a taste of spring with temps busting the freezing mark.:rolleyes:

ha ha if it gets over 35 they're gonna start wearing shorts! :D

mudhead
03-25-2008, 12:28
Mess with the moose, you get the snow. Spring signs: Chipmunk, robin, turkey vulture, junco, moosewood buds getting redder.

Having said that, if we were to get a sunny, calm day, with an average normal high temperature, I think I might have to get about half buck naked out in the park.

At least the wind has eased up.

warraghiyagey
03-25-2008, 12:34
Andover, ME reporting about 190 inches of snow so far this winter(still) with temps around O last couple nights. Higher amounts of snow in higher elevations.
Solar radiation increasing daily, Beaver have come out from under the ice in places looking for a fresh spring treat, "Moose" and Deer are starting to roam
on hard crusty snow.

Where I grew up we once (1977) got 440 inches of snow. Our average year is around 280"s.
Andover is just past halfway there.
There's no such thing as a Woodsy.
The end.

woodsy
03-25-2008, 12:35
Don't laugh, tis true:D, now if I can remember what I did with them 6 mos. ago:rolleyes:

bloodmountainman
03-25-2008, 12:37
on hard crusty snow.
Might go for a swim this week!!! Love the Southern Terminus!!:D

mudhead
03-25-2008, 12:39

Bring your sunglasses. I be sharkbait.

woodsy
03-25-2008, 12:43
Wargy: Where I grew up we once (1977) got 440 inchesYeah well I've been riding on 440 cubic centimeters this winter:p

warraghiyagey
03-25-2008, 12:46
Yeah well I've been riding on 440 cubic inches this winter:p
Damn Dude. That's impressive!!

Oh, you're talking about your snowmobile. :o

:D

sheepdog
03-25-2008, 12:46
Florida is always fun in the winter. You can tell the northerners, it's 60 degrees and they have shorts and t shirts on. The Floridians have coats, hats and mittens on.

envirodiver
03-25-2008, 12:47
I have a daughter that lives in Murfreesburro. We drove down there a couple weeks ago for some sunny weather. We got 2 inches of snow. No luck at all.:mad:

I wondered where that snow came from. It probably followed you down here.

Our first and maybe only real snow of the year. Not a real good demolition derby with this one. Our typical snows start with freezing rain to get a good layer of ice on the roads, under the snow. Then put the snow on top and the demolition derby begins.

Not to mention the run to Kroger for milk, bread and eggs.

sheepdog
03-25-2008, 12:48
Damn Dude. That's impressive!!

Oh, you're talking about your snowmobile. :o

:D

Careful depending on the thread, that could make you the enemy.:)

mudhead
03-25-2008, 12:50
60 is cold when you live in FL!

sheepdog
03-25-2008, 12:51
I wondered where that snow came from. It probably followed you down here.

You got that right. Drove 700 miles snowing the whole way... Lots of wrecks, Your demolition derby comments were right on.

envirodiver
03-25-2008, 12:58
60 is cold when you live in FL!

I was working in Honolulu, HI last year from Jan-Aug. I laughed out loud toward the end of January when they got real excited on the weather forecast one night. They had a record low when the temp plummeted to 54 degrees. Those folks were freezing to death.

envirodiver
03-25-2008, 13:00
Sheepdog, next time you visit down this way let me know and If I'm available I'll show you around or maybe a hike.

warraghiyagey
03-25-2008, 13:03
I was working in Honolulu, HI last year from Jan-Aug. I laughed out loud toward the end of January when they got real excited on the weather forecast one night. They had a record low when the temp plummeted to 54 degrees. Those folks were freezing to death.
I worked in Honolulu for two years. It was always amusing when it was even 72 degrees out to hear people say 'I'm freezing.'

sheepdog
03-25-2008, 13:03
Sheepdog, next time you visit down this way let me know and If I'm available I'll show you around or maybe a hike.

That would be great. I'll let you know. I am usually down every 3 months or so.

bigcranky
03-25-2008, 13:09
75 on Saturday, went for a nice dayhike at Hanging Rock State Park. But it was below freezing last night. It should be back to normal by the end of the week.

Wags
03-25-2008, 13:14
pa is into its usual 'getting ready for spring' mode: 55 and sunny 1 day, 32 and rain/snow the next.

today it's gorgeous out, probably 50 and sunny! but there's still a stiff cold wind blowing and Th,F,S are all forecast for rain :(

i seriously can't remember a wetter winter in all my life. it seems like it's been since november when we went 5 days in a row w/o precip, and prior to 2 weeks ago, it was more like 1 day...

on the bright side, as someone else pointed out, there are the signs! lots of birds (robins, ect) out and about, buds on our maples, shrubs about to open up. OH COME ON SPRING YOU KNOW YOU WANT TO

envirodiver
03-25-2008, 13:14
I worked in Honolulu for two years. It was always amusing when it was even 72 degrees out to hear people say 'I'm freezing.'

Yeah, and above 8o degrees and they are burning up. Great folks over there, but they are seriously spoiled regarding weather.

That would be great. I'll let you know. I am usually down every 3 months or so.

Cool, your daughter attend MTSU?

warraghiyagey
03-25-2008, 13:20
Yeah, and above 8o degrees and they are burning up. Great folks over there, but they are seriously spoiled regarding weather.

Might have something to do with this phenomena.
I was stunned, being a weather junkie who has walked the same land where at different times of the year it has been -45F and 97F.
When I first got to Honolulu and watched the TV weather reports they would say "Todays High was 89 degrees. The record high for this date, set in 1913 is 91F. The record low set in 1964 is 86F."
Or something like that.
They've got it good.

envirodiver
03-25-2008, 13:27
Might have something to do with this phenomena.
I was stunned, being a weather junkie who has walked the same land where at different times of the year it has been -45F and 97F.
When I first got to Honolulu and watched the TV weather reports they would say "Todays High was 89 degrees. The record high for this date, set in 1913 is 91F. The record low set in 1964 is 86F."
Or something like that.
They've got it good.

I finally quit watching the weather. It was the same every day. Unless there was a tsunami watch or something like that.

All in all not a bad place.

sheepdog
03-25-2008, 13:39
Cool, your daughter attend MTSU?
She graduated from MTSU and is a 7th grade teacher (off right now raising my grand daughters). She married a fine man who works in the music industry.

envirodiver
03-25-2008, 13:46
Cool those of us with daughters ( I have 2) want them to have happy relationships as much as anything. Great that she is able to take the time off and be there for the kids.

sheepdog
03-25-2008, 13:49
Daughters are a wonderful thing...and grand daughters...they are a gift from heaven..

BREEZER
03-25-2008, 14:00
38 degrees in pensacola last night (nw florida). I think global warming has begun!!!!

envirodiver
03-25-2008, 14:06
Daughters are a wonderful thing...and grand daughters...they are a gift from heaven..

Yes daughters are special. A real blessing.

Don't know about the grandaughter thing yet, but I can imagine. I see the little kids out and about and it reminds me of the times when mine were that age. Excellent memories.

mudhead
03-25-2008, 20:07
38 degrees in pensacola last night (nw florida). I think global warming has begun!!!!

You get frosted on a normal year, don't you? I seem to remember some freak snow event there also. Maybe it was a mile inland or something.

walkin' wally
03-26-2008, 11:27
Florida is always fun in the winter. You can tell the northerners, it's 60 degrees and they have shorts and t shirts on. The Floridians have coats, hats and mittens on.

Thats exactly right. I just got back from 8 days near Tampa Fla. and some people were looking at my like I was crazy for the t shirt I was wearing when it was 60 degrees. It was nice to get away from this long winter for a while. Now I find out the back of my camp is buried up to the eaves in snow here in Maine. What a long winter this has been.

Wolf - 23000
03-26-2008, 18:03

Stop Bitching and go take a hike. You'll feel better after you do. 4 inches of snow, -10; big deal. I'm sure many of us have all been there. It's not so bad after you get use to it.

Wolf

sheepdog
03-26-2008, 18:15
Stop Bitching and go take a hike. You'll feel better after you do. 4 inches of snow, -10; big deal. I'm sure many of us have all been there. It's not so bad after you get use to it.

Wolf

Are we feeling a little cranky today? I've been snowshoeing, ice fishing, sledding etc etc etc.... Just want a little spring weather.. Can't a sheepdoggie get a little love?

Dirty Harry
03-26-2008, 18:29
I've been thru hiking with my wm 35 degree and we have had two days in the low 20s. I would take spring weather over summer any day, but this has been taxing. In franklin now taking a zero, looks like warmer weather ahead.

sheepdog
03-26-2008, 18:31
I've been thru hiking with my wm 35 degree and we have had two days in the low 20s. I would take spring weather over summer any day, but this has been taxing. In franklin now taking a zero, looks like warmer weather ahead.
Hike safe DH, hike strong,
I'm with you, cool spring and fall weather is my favorite time to hike.