PDA

View Full Version : Airline Travel with full pack

bcampr1
03-25-2008, 15:38
I will be flying down to Charlotte,NC with my pack fully loaded. I was able to fit my sleeping pad folded, not rolled, inside my pack. Does anyone have any recommendations to prevent any damage or want to share some stories about how the airlines have handled your pack?

Thanks

KG4FAM
03-25-2008, 15:43
Put it inside something like an Army duffel bag so the straps are not hanging all over the place. You can also wrap your pad around your pack this way.

gold bond
03-25-2008, 15:48
I flew to New Mexico with mine when I went to Philmont. I put mine in a trunk that I got from Walmart. Alot of the guys just put their packs in a duffle bag and some of them got damaged some of them did not. If you have a hard trunk like something you can put it in loaded that is what I did.

Lellers
03-25-2008, 15:54
I'm flying to Las Vegas with a small pack this summer. We're headed to the Grand Canyon but won't be on a trail longer than overnight, so my pack is small. I'm carrying it on. I've done it before, but be sure you are aware about carrying stoves, knives, etc. Last thing I saw for Southwest Airlines said no stoves unless in checked luggage, and there can't be any residue on them. They suggest stoves be place in original packaging -- which I don't have. I'll probably just make a stove when I get out there.

My son was at Philmont last year, and they put their packs in duffels. They had no problems.

Marta
03-25-2008, 15:54
I shipped mine separately by FedEx, in a box.

beeman
03-25-2008, 16:00
I think the best bet going to your start is a large box. Coming home, Southwest airlines has a big plastic bag you can shove it into, then use packing tape around it to take up any slack in the bag. It may save your packstraps.

Peaks
03-25-2008, 16:10
I flew to New Mexico with mine when I went to Philmont. I put mine in a trunk that I got from Walmart. Alot of the guys just put their packs in a duffle bag and some of them got damaged some of them did not. If you have a hard trunk like something you can put it in loaded that is what I did.

Gee, I've used the duffle bag twice going to Philmont without problems. And trunks don't store well at Philmont either.

I think that most people just use a duffle bag.

scope
03-25-2008, 16:13
Put it inside something like an Army duffel bag so the straps are not hanging all over the place. You can also wrap your pad around your pack this way.

I did this, had to get an extra large duffel bag to get the 'packed' pack in it. Ended up being a chore to lug to and from. I would not pack the pack and instead use two pieces of luggage - one to carry on of stuff that would be hard to replace immediately. Depending on what you have, you can lightly pack your pack with important stuff and carry it on.

If you want to avoid having luggage to deal with, then I think - someone check me on this - you can box the packed pack at the ticket counter for some sort of cost.

StarLyte
03-25-2008, 16:25
I think the best bet going to your start is a large box. Coming home, Southwest airlines has a big plastic bag you can shove it into, then use packing tape around it to take up any slack in the bag. It may save your packstraps.

Yes, SW has those convenient heavy-duty plastic bags. You can always buy those bags at your larger hardware store if you are traveling a different airline. BUT if they chose to search your pack - and more than likely will, I seriously doubt if they will politely retape the plastic bag shut or even close up your pack for that matter.

My experience is never assume anything, especially airlines, though I consider it the safest method of travel.

Would be nice if you could find a good box or something that can be reclosed.

Or FedEx - UPS Next DayAir your item.

Good luck to you.

The Solemates
03-25-2008, 17:14

We've done this, but we've also just thrown it on the plane by itself. We havent had any problems or damage either way. Just make sure you pull all the straps tight and tuck the excess in pockets if you dont use a duffel.

mixinmaster
03-25-2008, 17:47

What whiskey said....... Thats my style and has always worked great for me.........

BigCat
03-25-2008, 18:44
I've been all over the world with my various backpacks and I've found the heavy duty plastic bags available at the airline check-in desks to be perfect. In fact, they encourage you to use them because it keeps the straps and stuff from getting snagged on other luggage and airplane parts.

All major airlines have them. (And they're free)

Lion King
03-25-2008, 18:48
I suggest, for cross country with more then one stop or multiple boarding/reboarding plane exchange etc...that you mail the pack to your destination Priority with insurance and confirmation.

Safe as a kitten that way and you dont have to get the search, no bags to worry with and you can get off the plane and run to the trail.

superman
03-25-2008, 18:55
I suggest, for cross country with more then one stop or multiple boarding/reboarding plane exchange etc...that you mail the pack to your destination Priority with insurance and confirmation.

Safe as a kitten that way and you dont have to get the search, no bags to worry with and you can get off the plane and run to the trail.

UPS has worked best for me. The Post Office has problems delivering when they say they will. I like not have to worry about or hassle with it as I travel. I've even done that when I was driving long distances. It's just my personal preference but it's works fine for me.

g8trh8tr
03-25-2008, 19:07
I just got back yesterday from hiking the Maryland portion of the AT and flew out of and back into Charlotte. I talked with an airline employee ahead of time and he advised to pack the backpack empty into a suitcase and then use stuff sacks to store the gear separately in the same suitcase. That way it is less likely to get searched and if it does it is unlikely your gear will get thrown everywhere/lost. I had no problems using this method. Hope that helps.

borntobeoutdoors
03-27-2008, 09:36
I have a large dry bag that I put my loaded pack into. It works fine to protect the straps on the pack. If you use a 'portage" type dry bag that has external straps, you can duct tape them to the bag to prevent damage.

Hawk

Jeff
03-27-2008, 09:50
Flown many times with my pack as checked luggage. Duffle bags - no problem. Those heavy plastic bags worked OK but don't protect your hiking poles very well. Be sure to duct tape the tips on your poles and secure them to your pack.

Venture
03-27-2008, 10:33
Flown many times with my pack as checked luggage. Duffle bags - no problem. Those heavy plastic bags worked OK but don't protect your hiking poles very well. Be sure to duct tape the tips on your poles and secure them to your pack.

Putting your trekking poles and tent poles inside of a cardboard tube works great to protect them! I got one from EMS, they use them to ship signage for the stores. Pack all of your stuff in a duffle bag outside of your pack in case your bag is searched its easier for them to rummage through your crap! Dont forget to mail your stove ahead, especially if its a liquid fuel stove thats been used.

Johnny Swank
03-27-2008, 11:00
Just went through the lost luggage routine with one of my wife's bags. If we actually do end up on the PCT in the next year or two, we'll be UPS'ing most everything ahead of time. We'll use the frameless packs as carry-ons for lugging the little last-minute junk and some snacks.

Basically, I'm done with checking baggage unless I absolutely have to. Using lighter/smaller gear allows for plenty of options to ship things, so why bother?

borntobeoutdoors
03-27-2008, 11:04
Putting your trekking poles and tent poles inside of a cardboard tube works great to protect them! I got one from EMS, they use them to ship signage for the stores. Pack all of your stuff in a duffle bag outside of your pack in case your bag is searched its easier for them to rummage through your crap! Dont forget to mail your stove ahead, especially if its a liquid fuel stove thats been used.

Not always necessary. We used to ship our fuel bottles separate. But we found that if the fuel bottles were well aired prior to the trip, we could pack them with our gear for the airline. As long as there is no residue odor, it's fine. I always pack them in zip locks with the lids off. Never shipped the stove (Primus Multifuel), always packed it. We do have to ship our bear repellent however.

Also, I have found that i can pack my backpack, leaving out knives, lighters, matches, hatchet or saw, and poles which go into the bag I'm putting the pack in. Then they don't usually search the pack itself.

The cardboard tube idea for the poles is good. I make sure i have the rubber tips on mine.

Hawk