PDA

View Full Version : Attn: Thru Hikers-Water Reports!

TOW
03-25-2008, 20:39
I would like this thread to be about the water on the trail. We are going to be coming into summer soon and I think it is important for those of you who are hiking to get on here and let those who are planning to hike know about water conditions.

Phreak
03-25-2008, 20:42
No water issues in GA.

Lone Wolf
03-25-2008, 20:43
there's a ****load of water between georgia and maine right now. springs are flush

Wise Old Owl
03-25-2008, 20:45
http://drought.unl.edu/dm/monitor.html

LW do ever look stuff up before you post S**T?

Lone Wolf
03-25-2008, 20:49

do you ever hike? there is plenty of water on the AT right now

Wise Old Owl
03-25-2008, 20:53
Yea I hike - Do ever think before you post?

Lone Wolf
03-25-2008, 20:58

i'm thinkin as i post that you're a trolling pack sniffer. :) there's plenty of water on the AT right now for those of you that will be hiking between GA and ME in the next few weeks. disregard Dumb Young Crow

Phreak

The link shows a D3 drought in GA but there is water everywhere. Go figure.

TOW
Please! Stop this Wise Old Owl, please! No arguing, no butchering, just water reports. If you got a beef do a PM please!

Lone Wolf
03-25-2008, 20:59

the person in that picture is 10 times the human being you'll ever be. he's beautiful

Lone Wolf
03-25-2008, 21:00
Please! Stop this Wise Old Owl, please! No arguing, no butchering, just water reports. If you got a beef do a PM please!

he's drunk

Phreak
03-25-2008, 21:00

Should have posted this thread under "Straight forward". You know we're going to get trolls putting in their 2 cents.

TOW
03-25-2008, 21:02
Should have posted this thread under "Straight forward". You know we're going to get trolls putting in their 2 cents.
I would have thought this was the best place for it.

Wise Old Owl
03-25-2008, 21:03
No I am not, Just do the right thing and I am not trolling, and my son is "special"

Bulldawg
03-25-2008, 21:04
Hey, plenty of water on the Georgia sections I've been on the last few weeks!!!

TOW
03-25-2008, 21:06
Who's the moderator for this area?

Bulldawg
03-25-2008, 21:07
Really an over abundance of water in fact!! I wish someone would drink the water in all the mudholes I've encountered!!

Gray Blazer
03-25-2008, 21:28
the person in that picture is 10 times the human being you'll ever be. he's beautiful

You're a trip!! :D LMAO

Gray Blazer
03-25-2008, 21:31
You're a trip!! :D LMAO

Whoops, forgot! There is plenty of water south of the AT in N FL. Payne's Prarie is a lake right now. D### global warming.

stumpy
03-25-2008, 21:48
Just like the good ole days. If 441 gets flooded, do you think they will start a fairy from Ocala to Hogtown again?:-?

Cuffs
03-25-2008, 21:52
I dont know that fairys like the water but a good ferry will get people from place to place!

stumpy
03-25-2008, 21:56
I guess most of that type of fairy is further south towards the keys.:eek:

I am a teacher, you would think I would know better!!!!!!!:D

Gray Blazer
03-25-2008, 21:59
Back to my buddy LARRY'S WATER THREAD.......

Like Lone Wolf says (How many posts on WB begin like that?). You better listen to LW for now. Check LARRY'S WATER THREAD on WB later this summer and fall.

Anybody else want some validation?

FatMan
03-25-2008, 22:02

do you ever hike? there is plenty of water on the AT right nowThere is currently no problem in Georgia. And that is to be expected this time of year. Springs are at full flow and will be that way through mid May. We have had some OK rains in the past month, but unless we see some surpluses in rainfall I do expect a hangover from last year's drought. Without the surplus I expect Georgia will be dry by July.

stumpy
03-25-2008, 22:04
Back to my buddy LARRY'S WATER THREAD.......

Like Lone Wolf says (How many posts on WB begin like that?). You better listen to LW for now. Check LARRY'S WATER THREAD on WB later this summer and fall.

Anybody else want some validation?

Didn't mean to hi-jack!:(

Gray Blazer
03-25-2008, 22:07
Didn't mean to hi-jack!:(

Good Gawd, now I'm the nonhi-jack nazi.:eek:

People, you gotta check LARRY'S WATER THREAD on WB.

dixicritter
03-25-2008, 22:18
According to Rock so far water hasn't been a problem on the BMT or the AT where he has hiked.

Good thread idea TOW.

aboman
03-25-2008, 22:39
Water in Northern VA is good.

thestin
03-25-2008, 23:03
As Lone Wolf has stated, there is plenty of water along the entire AT corridor right now.
The rains and snows from the past winter have been enough to recharge the ground water.

The next issue with water will come when the weather warms and plants start using ground water again...trees slurp copious amounts of water every day once they are in full leaf. If we get a dry spell we will see the ground water start to dry up.

TOW
03-25-2008, 23:05
I will open this thread once a week..........

It is important we stay on track folks.

double j
03-29-2008, 20:37
double spring shelter high flowing spring coming thru pipe

excuses
03-29-2008, 21:15
I just hiked from Hogpen Gap to Deep Gap (Ga.) and there was water in most places. Some of the areas were drier than they should be. I was asked in a few places if I had seen water. Mainly north of Hogpen before Low Gap Shelter.

emerald
03-29-2008, 21:59
I was asked by BMECC to start a water thread along the lines of DRY, DRY, DRY in Pa. (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=28029) and have agreed to start a new thread at an appropriate time. I will start it and link it shortly before summer or sooner if conditions warrant. Until then, readers interested in the old thread and the tools linked to it should click above.

In a typical year, there are not apt to be water shortages until summer. Most NOBOs will survive if they are though by July 4 or thereabouts. It's usually only summer section-hikers or SOBOs who need to be concerned and plan accordingly.

I'm expecting more help than last year. Those who want to benefit should expect to contribute too. Be a WhiteBlaze producer, not just a consumer!:sun

Tennessee Viking
03-29-2008, 23:26
The only places you might have to even have some concern are the springs that completely dried up last summer.

Still hearing some small problems on Big Bald.

I was just told by some hikers that the spring just north of Beauty Spot was a lot further down than the blue blaze.

Griffith Branch/Watauga Lake Shelter waters I saw completely dry in October.

Nick Grindstaff Spring was a large puddle this past week.

Then the ever popular Vandaventer Shelter Spring moved way down last summer.

TOW
03-30-2008, 17:53
Thanx for the updates folks, keep 'em coming in. Towards summer there will be a lot of hikers depending on the info that we can collect here.

Any hikers you meet anywhere along the trail ask them about water sources and then come back here and post it.

Lauriep
03-31-2008, 06:41
My husband and I just hiked from Bland to Pearisburg with friends this past week. We had no trouble with water. Here’s what we found:

Va. 611 – Unmarked water source about 0.1 north and west of trail.

Jenny Knob Shelter – No water visible in drainage where spring trail ends, but adequate flow just about 25 - 50’ upstream.

Wapiti Shelter – Dismal Creek flowing well; plenty of water.

Doc’s Knob Shelter – Spring has adequate flow.

Ribble Trail, north junction – Spring has low but adequate flow. Not all the books list this source; most that do list it indicate it’s on the A.T. It’s about 0.2 west.

Larger streams and creeks not listed as water sources are flowing well.

By the way, the Bernard's General Store in Crandon (at the end of Va. 608—technically on Va. 42) is, by all appearances, closed. Only the Companion and ATC guidebook reflect the closure. Trent’s Store is just 5.3 miles north, and closer to the Trail, with camping, hot showers, a deli, and a pay phone—I think most people go there anyway.

Laurie P.
ATC

TOW
04-07-2008, 06:05
How's the water out there hikers?

DavidNH
04-07-2008, 09:04
hmm

record snows in the northeast, plenty of rain in mid atlantic, and storms that have made national news in Georgia. How could getting water possibly be a problem in a year like this?

David

TOW
04-07-2008, 09:13
The summer is not here yet and we are still considered to be in drought conditions down here in the south. We need some major rain to bring lake levels back up.

SGT Rock
04-07-2008, 09:43
The only section that really gave me any trouble with water was from Walnut Mountain Shelter (the water sucks there) to Deerpark Mountain Shelter where the piped spring infront of the shelter was not running. Other than that there has been plenty enough water on the AT and the BMT. The Smokies were exceptionally wet on the BMT when I went through there.

Runsalone
04-14-2008, 19:09
I just did the trail through Hot Springs, and everywhere the guides say water there is water. Lone Wolf is right . A liter at a time for the time being. Good thread! We will have to watch out later when we get the warm up like has been said but for now seems to be good.

TOW
04-14-2008, 21:42
thanx for the update............

DAKS
04-20-2008, 14:32
pass mtn. hut spring is flowing like an open fire hydrant! nice and cold too!

gravel springs hut is flowing nicely with a large pool to collect out of.

on the other hand, no faucets/sources were turned on at many of the picnic areas/rest stops, i.e., pinnacles, byrds nest, panorama etc. i'm sure they will turn these on very soon as the park is now mostly open.

good luck to all!

10-K
04-20-2008, 16:24
Damascus to Erwin - so much water you could literally not carry water at all.

trailangelmary
04-20-2008, 17:07
As Ben Franklin said: In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is freedom,
in water there is bacteria.

In a number of carefully controlled trials, scientists have demonstrated
that if we drink 1 liter of water each day, at the end of the year we would
have absorbed more than 1 kilo of Escherichia coli, (E. coli) - bacteria
found in feces. In other words, we are consuming 1 kilo of poop a day.

However, we do NOT run that risk when drinking wine & beer (or tequila,
rum, whiskey or other liquor) because alcohol has to go through a
purification process of boiling, filtering and/or fermenting.

Remember: Water = Poop, Wine = Health.

Therefore, it's better to drink wine and talk stupid, than to drink water
and be full of ****.

There is no need to thank me for this valuable information: I'm doing it
as a Public Service Announcement.

zdavies
04-21-2008, 19:57
Hiked Springer - Tesnatee [4/12 - 4/15] and found water everywhere the guide indicated, and drank deeply from plenty of unlisted springs and creeks as well [after that chlorine dioxide had worked its magic of course].

But then again, I've had seven glasses of water today, and forgot to drink the booze - so, I'm full of **** I guess.

Hikerhead
04-21-2008, 20:09
Water at all water sources from Daleville to Blackhorse Gap as of Sat 4-19-08. Tons of rain Saturday night. I think all of Va will be fine for the time being.

athiker67
04-21-2008, 20:19
Water at both springs at the Allentown shelter in PA as of 4/19.

emerald
04-21-2008, 20:58
Water at both springs at the Allentown shelter in PA as of 4/19.

Thank you for your post and if you can continue to keep us informed as we get into summer it would be greatly appreciated.:welcome

DLANOIE
04-22-2008, 19:17
Water is running deep and fast and snow is lingering away slowly in Maine. Not a good time of year to be fording streams.

TOW
04-22-2008, 21:17
Thanx for the updates folks!

xnav
04-22-2008, 22:26
I hiked Dicks Creek Gap to the Natahala Outdoor Center the first week in April. All published water sources were full and flowing.

ramdino
04-27-2008, 18:56
water at all the marked springs as well as others in section 15 between Max patch and Hot springs

athiker67
05-05-2008, 18:31
Water at all three springs at the Bake oven knob shelter in PA as of 5/3.

TOW
05-28-2008, 12:15
How's the water out there folks?

Terry7
05-28-2008, 12:17
From Damascus to Pearisburg there is water every where it is suposed to be.

gumball
05-29-2008, 06:37
Craig Creek Valley to Daleville is good, as of Tuesday 5/27/08.

Tin Man
05-29-2008, 06:57
Water is running strong at start and end of section from NY52 to NY55. Didn't check the shelter though as there was a large group with several dogs.

sasquatch2014
05-29-2008, 07:00
The water is also running well at the Telephone Pioneer Shelter from the stream. Last i knew the owners of the Purple house have not activated their spigot yet this year for hikers to use.

LIhikers
05-29-2008, 07:16
My wife Kathy and I were out hiking this past weekend. While most of our miles were on other trails we did do a few A.T. miles, between NY's route 301 and Denny Town Road and can make a water report.
1. Water at the Clarence Fahnestock State Park campground is unsuitable for drinking or cooking as per the signs in the campground. They'll be doing testing so they know when the problem is resolved.
2. Between those two roads there are several streams that looked good to use for water.
3. At Denny Town Road there is a stone bulding with a water faucet on the outside that worked fine. It's a park bulding and is available for all to use

Hikerhead
06-05-2008, 20:41
I've gotten reports from several NOBO thrus that the water source at Bobblet's Gap Shelter is marginal at best. Fullhardt Knob Shelter has no water and the spring .4 miles north of there no longer exists (it was bulldozed, reportedly).

I find this hard to believe :confused:. It's been raining like the dickens around here for the past month.

I hiked this section the last couple of months. Fullhard Knob shelter had water as of 4-19-08. It's the only cistern on the trail. The water comes from the roof of the shelter.

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2662674910047269387epbVVy

There was plenty of water then and it's rained a lot since.:D

EarlyBird2007
06-05-2008, 21:07
I would like this thread to be about the water on the trail. We are going to be coming into summer soon and I think it is important for those of you who are hiking to get on here and let those who are planning to hike know about water conditions.

The water supply is excellent in the Cumberland Valley section. There has even been good water at the spring near Darlington Shelter, a notoriously sporadic spring. That said, it is still best to water up before climbing the mountain to Darlington.

emerald
06-08-2008, 20:29
I was just looking at real-time stream flow for Susquehanna, Schuylkill, Lehigh and Delaware watersheds and saw about what I expected. It's hot, we haven't had a lot of rain and it's reflected in the amount of water flowing in these rivers.

All are on the dry side of normal for this time of year. I'll put together a thread I'll link here before summer to help hikers monitor the situation in Pennsylvania and gather information for those who plan hikes here.

Until then refer to DRY, DRY, DRY in Pa. (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=28029) for reliable water sources.

ki0eh
06-08-2008, 21:57
Hmm, just looking now at the "WaterWatch" page for PA and it looks like the local tributaries west of the Susquehanna are noticeably above normal for time of year and even the Swatara is a tiny bit above.

The main stem Susquehanna is pretty low for time of year as it looks like things have dried out pretty quickly in northern PA and upstate NY. Might not be good for the GET north of I-80 but good for the A.T. since 36 years ago almost exactly, the bar at the Doyle was under water...

Johnny Thunder
06-09-2008, 06:47
We who are about to depart from Daleville salute you!

Local southbounders and outfitter agree that we're in for another 9 mile dry stretch including two dead shelter sources. Water from Pearisburg to here was alright with only one really bad stretch (from Lambert's Meadow down to the highway). Peace

TOW
06-09-2008, 12:01
Any water reports between Damascus and Springer?

Lone Wolf
06-09-2008, 12:06
Any water reports between Damascus and Springer?

yeah, there's plenty still

Sly
06-09-2008, 12:12
Nine mile stretches without water!? :eek: How to AT hikers cope? :rolleyes::D

Lone Wolf
06-09-2008, 12:13
Nine mile stretches without water!? :eek: How to AT hikers cope? :rolleyes::D

i know. pretty comical

emerald
06-09-2008, 12:32
I would think hikers should be getting such information from others travelling in the opposite direction who receive accurate information in exchange for it rather than here. Shelter registers were once used to communicate such information too!:rolleyes:

What I post when I begin the thread I promised will be as a personal favor to the person who asked me. It will be intended for general planning purposes only and mostly to point out those sources which can be relied upon. I'm not about to go into the field and gather information at my expense for people who are perfectly capable of obtaining it themselves and being properly prepared.:eek:

Christopher Robin
06-10-2008, 16:09
Noth side of Mt. Greylock al Wiber shelter has flower water, it's to the left side of the shelter about a few yards. Need to be filtered if you are not boiling it

Cherokee Bill
06-10-2008, 18:31
:mad: The spring at Punchbowl is reported as dry already, by thru-hikers this weekend (Central VA).:banana

Lone Wolf
06-10-2008, 19:54
that's awful. what are they to do? :eek:

Valentine
06-13-2008, 17:17
https://01ef580.netsolstores.com/index.asp?PageAction=Custom&ID=15

Water is back in georgia! see link above, maintained by Walasi-Yi center in Neels Gap, GA.

excuses
06-14-2008, 22:59
North of Hot Springs, NC from the Blackstack Cliffs to Flint Mountain Shelter is dry. That includes Jerry Cabin Shelter. That was as of 11 Jun.

shelterbuilder
06-15-2008, 00:00
As of 6/14/08, Hemlock Spring (near the Fort Dietrich Snyder marker, just south of Pa. Rt. 183) is flowing good. Sand Spring is flowing good (water still flowing out of the empoundment). Pine Spring (on the gravel road between Rt. 183 and Eagle's Nest shelter - for those who choose the "old AT road-walk") is flowing adequately. The stream at the Eagle's Nest shelter is flowing adequately at the blue trail crossing, but not much downstream of the crossing (upstream within 200 feet there are also several good pools that are running). I didn't have time today to check any more of the springs in this area.

lwarfi
06-15-2008, 12:02
The spring at Jerry Cabin was dry 3 days ago. Several of the other springs between Hot Springs & Erwin were running real slow. We had rain last night in Erwin, so things may have improved.

notorius tic
06-23-2008, 18:14
PA.. last year was dry to the bone .. They the (ATC) posted sighnes fore warning us NO "OFFENSE WOLF" That there was no water fore the next 20 miles me like you over look these signs and ending up doing 35 into Dunncanon..

Gray Blazer
06-23-2008, 23:46
Springs were trickling in NGA between Neels and Tenastee. They were flowing a lot stronger in NC between Wesser Bald and NOC, between Sam's Gap and Devil's Fork Gap, and Max Patch.

Jack Tarlin
06-24-2008, 09:04
All springs/sources at all A.T. shelters in Shenandoah Park were fine as of a week ago.

TOW
06-24-2008, 16:48
I just did the five mile loop out of Damascus and the piped spring besides the AT where the stairs are is drying up.........

Midway Sam
07-02-2008, 10:06
Walked SB from Wayah Gap to Dick's Creek Gap this past weekend. NOTICABLE change in the water situation after Standing Indian. North of Standing Indian had plenty of water, South was dry. There was water at all the shelters, but that was about it.

Was a cool 48 degrees at Muskrat Creek Shelter the evening of July 1st.

DavidNH
07-02-2008, 10:22
why a need for this thread? I know that New England has been inundated with water. There must be plenty of mud in the norhtern New England Mountains. Has it been drier in the south?

David

Roots
07-02-2008, 10:30
We are still under drought warnings here in the south. We have had NO where near the rain the north has had. With the early heat wave, it added to the drought conditions that were still present from last season. Our local river is extremely dry and local counties are thinking about putting us under water usage restrictions.

Thanks for the update on water south of Standing Indian, Midway Sam. We might be heading that way in a couple weeks.:)

sasquatch2014
07-02-2008, 10:53
while we have plenty of water up here in the north there have been at least two case that I am aware of in which hikers have gotten "bad" water somewhere in NY. The most recent was just the otherday the earlier case was in april. I would highly urge hikers to treat all water in NY. I have notified the AT area supervisor and asked her to run tests on the shelters water supplies to rule these out.

Midway Sam
07-02-2008, 11:40
Thanks for the update on water south of Standing Indian, Midway Sam. We might be heading that way in a couple weeks.:)

You are welcome. I hope you enjoy the area as much as I did.

f8lranger4x4
09-11-2008, 23:44
The shelter at lambers meadow is dry. you need to go to the camp site to get any water. Water is good at the catawba shelter though.

Athena55
09-12-2008, 00:04
Anybody been on the Springer to Neels section lately? We are planning an early Nov hike there. Any water concerns?

Hoop
09-12-2008, 08:19
Athena55,

Try Mountain Crossings 888-689-4647, maybe someone there can give you current info. Their water report on www.mountaincrossings.com (http://www.mountaincrossings.com) was last updated 7-20-08.

FatMan
09-12-2008, 08:51
Water is no problem from Springer to Neels. The usual suspects (Springer, Slaughter) are low but a strong trickle. The complaint this week is too much water (rain). November is rarely ever a problem anyway. November is a great time to hike. Just remember, you can set out and it will be warm and then a day later it can get very cold, especially in the higher elevations. And be sure to wear blaze orange as it is hunting season. Enjoy your hike.

briarpatch
09-12-2008, 11:38
http://georgia-atclub.org/water_resources.html as of 8/23. We were able to update pretty regularly until the Ridgerunner season ended. I'm not sure how often it will get updated for the rest of the year.

emerald
09-12-2008, 13:36
Click on Water Conditions on the trail in Pa. (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=38394) for 2008's Pennsylvania summer water sources thread.