PDA

View Full Version : Foothills Trail

MOWGLI
01-24-2004, 20:37
I just finished the Foothills Trail on Wednesday January 21. It's an awesome trail, very unlike the AT in many many respects (no shelters, fewer hikers, awesome bridges, waterfalls everywhere).

If you're interested in learning about this 76-mile trail in Western South/North Carolina, checkout my completed journal at the following site;

http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=1882

FYI, Many Sleeps (yes, the same guy from Fontana Dam) did this trail in 3 days at age 70! Wow!!

Enjoy!

Lilred
01-24-2004, 22:06
Nice Journal. Sounds like you had a wonderful time. Haven't hiked since November and I'm itching to get out there again. Winter hiking isn't for me though, not yet anyhow, so I'll have to bide my time for a few months. Reading journals like this keeps me going till I can get out there again. Thanks.

rainmaker
01-24-2004, 22:35
First,I really enjoyed your post re: the Foothills Trail. It brought back a lot of memories. We , my wife and I and our four children, hiked it in 1980. I believe that was the year it was offically opened. The trail and the area are gems too few people appreciate. I believe one would be correct in describing most of it as a true wilderness. FWIW, you could have extended your hike east of Table Rock to either Ceasers Head or Jones Gap State Parks. Jones Gap in fact is only five or six miles from Camp Thornwell. It is also the only state park in SC that allows only backcountry or walkin camping . No motor homes need apply. Of course then you would have missed Pinnacle. Once again , thanks for a great post.

Skyline
01-25-2004, 01:14
Little Bear,

Just read your journal and viewed your pics--awesome! I'm envious. The Foothills Trail has been on my "to do" list for awhile, and I obtained the thorough but rather confusingly laid-out guide several years ago. Now that I'm finally done sectioning the A.T., the F.T. can't be too far into the future!

Several questions:

1) Are there any Maine-style (i.e., difficult) stream fords or do they have bridges for all the stream crossings? The bridges you described and photographed are really works of art, but are there some streams that don't have them? It's mainly a question to determine if I need to bring my river shoes or not.

2) I would probably do this with a friend, so we'd have two vehicles. Do you have a recommendation for a safe mid-point place to park one vehicle? We'd have our resupply in that vehicle, then jockey vehicles for the second half of the hike. Might even get off the trail for a night if the weather or mood struck us.

3) Is your friend Youngblood the same Youngblood who was the overseer at Blackburn Trail Center in Virginia a few years ago? His photo doesn't look familiar, but hikers do change appearances quite a bit. As I recall, the Youngblood I'm thinking of had a beard. What I remember most was his showing me a classic Svea stove he had with him one year at Trail Days. Same guy?

4) What were the toughest parts, terrain-wise?

Again, congratulations!

MOWGLI
01-25-2004, 12:15
Thanks Skyline. I'll try and answer your questions one at a time. Regarding the guidebook, it is laid out more for the dayhiker than the thru-hiker.

Little Bear,

1) Are there any Maine-style (i.e., difficult) stream fords or do they have bridges for all the stream crossings? The bridges you described and photographed are really works of art, but are there some streams that don't have them? It's mainly a question to determine if I need to bring my river shoes or not.

All major stream/river crossings are bridged. There is probably about (1) bridge per mile (avg) on this trail, many of them MAJOR bridges. The only area where you might have problems is where the trail is right next to the Chattooga River. There is a highwater bypass however.

2) I would probably do this with a friend, so we'd have two vehicles. Do you have a recommendation for a safe mid-point place to park one vehicle? We'd have our resupply in that vehicle, then jockey vehicles for the second half of the hike. Might even get off the trail for a night if the weather or mood struck us.

Halfway point? Bad Creek Access is about 31 miles from Oconee State Park. The parking lot is about .5 to .7 miles from the trail, so I did not walk down there. Suggest you check with the Foothills Trail Conference to see if there have been any acts of vandalism at this lot. This is where we had our food cache. After this, if you are heading east, there are few places to resupply because you are in the Jocassee Gorges area.

3) Is your friend Youngblood the same Youngblood who was the overseer at Blackburn Trail Center in Virginia a few years ago? His photo doesn't look familiar, but hikers do change appearances quite a bit. As I recall, the Youngblood I'm thinking of had a beard. What I remember most was his showing me a classic Svea stove he had with him one year at Trail Days. Same guy?
Nope, different guy.

4) What were the toughest parts, terrain-wise?

For me, heading east (from Oconee toward Tablerock), the hardest part was the climbs out of the Horespasture River, Toxaway River, and the final climb up Pinnacle. Pinnacle is not particularly tough, but I was simply wore down from being too heavy, and having hiked 70+ miles over 6 days. Yeah, I ain't in thru-hiker shape these days.

Hope that helps. FYI, the Foothills Trail Conference is a helpful bunch, and can do shuttles for you. Checkout their website at; http://www.foothillstrail.org/

One last thing....

If you are a fisherman, this is the trail to bring along a backpacking flyrod or spinning gear. Most of the good trout water is in SC, although some is in NC. Many of the streams contain wild populations. Lake Jocassee has MONSTER sized trout. You could fish nearly every day on this trail. In that event, you probably would want to bring Tevas or something similar.

Skyline
01-25-2004, 12:43
Thanx for your prompt reply. I didn't think it was the same Youngblood judging by the pic, but you never know. It's a great trailname, so I'm not surprised there's more than one.

One last question: Having now done the whole thang, do you think going West to East is the best way to go? Or if you had it to do over, would you go East to West? My thought, going strictly by the guide/maps, was to get the tough stuff out of the way first, but that doesn't always translate to the best way--on-the-ground advice is often better than looking at maps.

MOWGLI
01-25-2004, 13:19
One last question: Having now done the whole thang, do you think going West to East is the best way to go? Or if you had it to do over, would you go East to West? My thought, going strictly by the guide/maps, was to get the tough stuff out of the way first, but that doesn't always translate to the best way--on-the-ground advice is often better than looking at maps.

First of all, if you don't have the new FHT map, you should pick it up. It is very nice. Waterproof too.

Although this is no AT thru-hike, I think finishing the trail at Tablerock is much nicer than Oconee. Oconee is not nearly as pretty as Tablerock, and I think finishing there would be somewhat anti-climactic. Kind of like finishing on Katahdin versus Springer, only on a smaller scale. If you decided to go east t west, you would have the Chattooga River on your next to last, or last day however. That is spectacular.

If you have never seen Tablerock Mountain, you are in for a treat. The FHT does not go over the summit however. You skirt the flank on the way down from Pinnacle. I would recommend you hike to the top of Tablerock too, but leave your backpack in the car. When you get to the summit sign, don't stop. Keep going another .4-.5 for spectacular views off the backside. Ravens & Peregrine Falcons nest here, and the view into the City of Greenville watershed is not to be missed.

Feel free to email me via my journal if you have any more questions.

Best of luck!

The Solemates
08-03-2004, 11:54
I grew up in the upstate SC area and have hiked the Foothills Trail thru 3 times. Unlike some of the posts, I have hiked it from Table Rock to Oconee all 3 times. I wouldnt mind doing it in the other direction some time. I also wouldnt mind tying in several other trails at the end. From Table Rock you can proceed eastward further to Caesar's Head State Park, then into Jones Gap State Park, and then even further on another trail (I forget the name right now) that ends at some Outdoors Camp. This expedition lengthens the 76 mile trail to over 120 miles.

The Foothills is a great trail and if anyone lives in the area and plans on doing the AT, it is great preparation for a thru-hike. I have hiked the 7 mile trail (up and back) up to Table Rock over a dozen times. My wife and I trail-ran this trail in preparation for the AT last Fall. Running up 3000 feet elevation gain in just over 3 miles definitely got us in shape for the AT.

Ridge
10-28-2004, 08:36
The Duke Power Co. Bad Creek (FHT access) parking lot is inside a controlled access area, ie: "guards at the entrance, mostly at night". I've parked there many times and have had no problems. I believe the fishing in Jocassee along the trail at Horsepasture Creek and Toxaway River is in NC waters, not sure about fishing license laws. I agree with the "tough section" description for those starting at Oconee SP, additionally the climb up Sassasfras (tallest peak in SC) has its moments also. If beginning at Table Rock, the Pinnicle Mtn Climb out of Table Rock is also a tough one. Using the Bad Creek area is a good midway point for thru hikers or section hikers who want to split it up into two trips. A spur trail (blue blaze) trail leads from Sassasfras Mtn to Ceasars Head SP/Jones Gap SP, the last time I hiked it it is was grown up and not used very much, but marked good and not difficult. Also, there are 80 miles of trails in the area of Ceasars Head and Jones Gap and these would make an execellant area to get some serious hiking experience. However, camping is only by reservation/arrangement and only in designated areas inside the State Parks, camps are few. You can day/section hike all the trails on the FHT and those in the "Mountain Wilderness Areas" (Ceasars Head/Jones Gap) with a combined milage of over 150 miles of very nice trails with all kinds of difficulty levels. I hope my recollections of the area is accurate and my 2 cents helped.

Egads
12-25-2008, 16:03
Does anyone have any recommendations on these shuttle drivers?

http://www.foothillstrail.org/permanent/shuttledrivers.htm

Are Cane Brake & Sassafras Mtn access points safe to leave cars?

MOWGLI
12-25-2008, 16:56
Heyward Douglass is a friend and great guy. He'll know about parking.

Mocs123
12-25-2008, 23:58
I got the map and guidebook for Christmas, so I will have to work this trail into my plans soon!

g8trh8tr
12-26-2008, 19:29
I have dealt with Nancy Carkhuff before and she is also good people. Very flexible and easy to work with.

OldStormcrow
12-29-2008, 11:08
I hiked the Foothills Trail in late May a couple of years ago and was amazed at how few people I saw once I got past Whitewater Falls. I didn't see a single person from Whitewater to Oconee. I loved the campsites along the Chatooga River!

Summit
12-30-2008, 07:48
Heyward Douglas is a super guy and knows the trail, being a trail work crew organizer, and former President of the FHTC. He shuttled me from Table Rock SP to Oconee SP this past April.

Highly recommend doing the trail from Oconee to Table Rock for several reasons discussed in other threads (search Foothills Trail).

pcasebere
09-04-2012, 10:24
From Table Rock you can proceed eastward further to Caesar's Head State Park, then into Jones Gap State Park, and then even further on another trail (I forget the name right now) that ends at some Outdoors Camp. This expedition lengthens the 76 mile trail to over 120 miles.

If my memory is serving me correctly the trail your speaking of is Shower-Bath Falls (near Hospital Rock) that leads to Pretty Place Chapel at YMCA Camp Greenville.

Drybones
09-04-2012, 11:45
I got the map and guidebook for Christmas, so I will have to work this trail into my plans soon!

This is one of my to-do-soon trails also...maybe we can help each other with the shuttle.

Rain Man
09-04-2012, 14:44
This is one of my to-do-soon trails also...maybe we can help each other with the shuttle.

Keep in mind, Mocs made that post in '08. His last activity of any sort on WB was over a year ago.

Rain:sunMan

Novel
06-08-2013, 20:39
I'm planning to thru-hike the Foothills Trail. I was curious about a couple things if anyone has the answers to them?
1. Does anyone know or have some suggestions when would be the best time for a thru-hike?
2. Aside from winter is there a time I should avoid or that anyone would advise against a thru-hike?
3. Is there a season or time of year when people typically or most often tend to thru-hike it?
4. Does anyone know what (if any) is the best, preferred or more common direction in which to thru-hike it or can anyone suggestion which direction to thru-hike it?
5. Does anyone know of any place near the trail where one could re-supply either by buying supplies or maildrop?

Drybones
06-08-2013, 20:50
I'm planning to thru-hike the Foothills Trail. I was curious about a couple things if anyone has the answers to them?
1. Does anyone know or have some suggestions when would be the best time for a thru-hike?
2. Aside from winter is there a time I should avoid or that anyone would advise against a thru-hike?
3. Is there a season or time of year when people typically or most often tend to thru-hike it?
4. Does anyone know what (if any) is the best, preferred or more common direction in which to thru-hike it or can anyone suggestion which direction to thru-hike it?
5. Does anyone know of any place near the trail where one could re-supply either by buying supplies or maildrop?

I believe it was this past December I hiked this trail, highly recommend it, one of the best hikes I've done, didn't see anyone on the trail, beautiful scenery, did it in a little over 4 days so there was no need to re-supply, you will enjoy it.

Novel
06-08-2013, 20:53
Also if anyone has any additional advise or recommendations about hiking the FT Id be happy to hear it. I'm planning to hike it both because I want to and as preparation for thru-hiking the AT next year.