PDA

View Full Version : snow in Maine

clambelly
03-25-2008, 21:40
Had a call from the Baseball coach from Andover Maine yesterday, he explained to me that he had over 4' of snow on the baseball diamond and that he thought he might have to reschedule his home opener against us to the first week of May at the earliest. I'm here on the coast and we have a clear field, can"t play on it yet because of the frost still coming out, but, it's still better than 4' of snow.
I saw the icebreakers heading up the Kennebec the other day, I'm wondering how thick the ice is up to the North? Gonna be a long wet spring i bet.(lotta mosquitos to help the hikers along)

theunstrungharp
03-26-2008, 06:44
I live about .5 mile from the Kennebec. Where I am, about 3 hrs drive south of Katahdin, holy god YES there is still tons of snow, even down here. Last night we even got ANOTHER inch or two. I bet the Mahoosucs up through Baxter are all still quite white and will be for another good 6 weeks.

I wouldn't be surprised if the River up north still has some ice, but down here it's mostly gone. The whole thing is very swollen and angry looking and there could well be some crazy flooding.

paddler
03-26-2008, 08:31
i was just up to greenville about 10 min. north of monson and the trail head parking lot for the 100 mile wilderness has about 6-7 feet of white stuff

woodsy
03-26-2008, 08:36
I'm wondering how thick the ice is up to the North? Gonna be a long wet spring i bet.(lotta mosquitos to help the hikers along)Not as thick as one might think, the deep insulating snowpack has kept it thinner than most years.
regarding snow, seeing alot of roadside signs..... "Free Snow, You Haul"
From todays local paper:

"We've got five or six feet of snow on the ground, and it's not going anywhere."(Jackman, northwest of the Forks)

The National Weather Service in Gray posed no quarrel with Jones' assessment on Tuesday.
Meteorologist Art Lester said the weather service doesn't predict temperatures much beyond a week to 10 days. But for that period, at least, cold air seems a good bet.
"It doesn't look like any big warming for the foreseeable future," Lester said. "We don't see any change in the pattern. It's going to take a good, sustained warm-up to get this thing melting good. It's so dense."
Meteorologists are hesitant to predict how late snow will continue to fall this year.

mudhead
03-26-2008, 09:29
Have faith.

Mother Nature will get worked up one of these days.

1" of wet snow here today, but it is above freezing now.

Lone Wolf
03-26-2008, 09:31
jay peak 2 days ago. http://www.jaypeakresort.com/en/jay_peak/picturesday/?date=2008-03-24 382 inches so far this season

sheepdog
03-26-2008, 09:54
Had a call from the Baseball coach from Andover Maine yesterday, he explained to me that he had over 4' of snow on the baseball diamond and that he thought he might have to reschedule his home opener against us to the first week of May at the earliest. I'm here on the coast and we have a clear field, can"t play on it yet because of the frost still coming out, but, it's still better than 4' of snow.

http://www.campmor.com/images/snowshoes/38034.jpg

Maine baseball cleats...:D:D

mudhead
03-26-2008, 10:27
http://bangornews.com/news/t/news.aspx?articleid=162123&zoneid=500

Northern Maine. Scroll down for the railroad shot.

walkin' wally
03-26-2008, 11:06
As far as snow goes the " Good Ole Days" are here and now. I just recieved new photos of my camp north of Monson and I can stand on a snow drift and look down on my roof. That area got pounded again Friday, I believe, with more than a foot of snow. It's beeen cold enough to make more ice on the lakes.

I'll be going up Monday I think to check it out.

Things might get interesting if we get our usual April rains. This is a lot of snow to have this late in the season. Maybe the powers that be will be drawing the lake levels down to help store the runoff.

fivel
03-26-2008, 13:45
Last week I was in the Northeast Kingdom of Vermont. Two local ponds - Joe's Pond and Keyser Pond were reportedly at 4 ft of ice and 5 ft of ice, respectively - measured by locals with augers (not scientific). They were all surprised at the thickness, as was I. Just anecdotal evidence, but based on this, I agree it's going to be a long, wet spring.

mudhead
03-26-2008, 17:35
Redwing blackbird today. Scruffy looking wing bar, but it made my day.

GGS2
03-26-2008, 17:48
We got a bunch of robins a few days ago. Sure sign.

berninbush
03-26-2008, 18:33
Hmmmm.... dare I mention here that our high today was 76F, and we're looking at 82 on Friday?

...and that the famous Texas spring wildflowers are in bloom?

...and that this is perfectly normal for us this time of year? :D

theunstrungharp
03-26-2008, 19:49
Bern, no one likes you anymore. ;)

katagious
03-26-2008, 21:20
A state trooper friend of mine had to take part in some sort of search and siezure (he didn't explain, I didn't ask) in the Bigelow Preserve area earlier this week. He said the snow on the trails were probably 10 to 12 feet deep still. Not expecting it to go away soon...in fact, I'm still expecting one more BIG one.

mudhead
03-27-2008, 08:14
Hmmmm.... dare I mention here that our high today was 76F, and we're looking at 82 on Friday?

...and that the famous Texas spring wildflowers are in bloom?

...and that this is perfectly normal for us this time of year? :D

I will think of you the third week of July!

Those runt lupine are pretty.

clambelly
03-28-2008, 07:38
More snow this morning.........

katagious
03-28-2008, 19:37
and still snowing tonight....*sigh*

woodsy
03-28-2008, 19:54

and still snowing tonight....*sigh*