PDA

View Full Version : Exped 7 Downmat Sleeping Pad Inflation

earlylight
03-25-2008, 21:47
I got myself an Exped DownMat 7 Sleeping Pad for this spring because I'm tired of sleeping cold with thinner pads. The pad has an R value of 4.9 and is a basically an inflatable mattress that has down feathers inside of it for improved insulation. The use of down requires that you use a special bag/pump to inflate the mattress. The theory is that by using this bag/pump, you limit the amount of moisture you would otherwise blow into the bag if you were to inflate it using your breath.

The bag/pump weighs over 6oz and I'd like to know if you REALLY need to use it or whether I can dump it completely and inflate the pad using my breath? Can I limit the amount of moisture I blow in, say by covering my face with a paper towel when I inflate the bag? How soon would the insulation value degrade if I did this, and how long do you think it would take the mattress to dry out?

For once being a section hiker has its advantages.....

Thx,

Philip

High Altitude
03-25-2008, 23:55
I wouldn't do it.

I would make a stuff sack out of silnylon and silicon on the nipple from the original stuff sack. Or see if OR will send you a new nipple.

sucinimad
03-26-2008, 14:13
I tried to inflate my Exped Airmat by blowing air into it once... When I woke up from fainting, I used the pump sac from the Downmat to inflate it instead.

One question about the pumpsac: there's an inner layer that seems completely unnecessary. I've considered cutting it off. Has anyone tried it? Any consequences?

Tipi Walter
03-26-2008, 14:39
Check out their website and look for their huge oversize bellow pumpbag. They say in one pump the pad is filled. Too good to be true?

I've heard stories about breath inhalation and most say don't do it. I got a downmat 9 recently and used it for several trips and down at my basecamp tent. Comfy? Yes, but only when laying down, sitting up and your butt hits the cold ground, something I don't want and don't get on my thermarest.

The worst part is pumping the thing up, takes me 35 pumps and a good 10 minutes. Don't want the hassle. Good luck.