PDA

View Full Version : 30 Miler For Boy Scout Troop

OutdoorsMan
03-25-2008, 22:41
I am an Assisitant Scout Master with Boy Scout Troop 130 in Morehead City, NC. I am also our Backpacking Merit Badge Instructor. We have completed two of the 3 required 15 mile trips (one at Cape Lookout National Seashore and another on the Neusiok Trail in the Croatan NF). I plan to do the third 15 miler at Uwharrie.

Many in our Troop will also go to Philmont New Mexico the summer of 2009.

As stated in the title of this thread, I am looking for a 30 miler. I want it to be in the mountains of NC, TN or VA. We are a rather large group of about 25 Scouts and adults (divided up into 7-8 man patrols) but we do practice "Leave No Trace".

We would anticipate doing this trek late March of 2009.

I would appreciate any ideas that you may have.

Thanks,

Tom
252-504-0900

envirodiver
03-25-2008, 22:46
Do you all camp together or stay in your manageable 7-8 person groups?

SteveJ
03-25-2008, 22:48
Hi, Tom. Our troop regularly hikes on the Chattooga River Trail. I've been looking into doing sections of the Foothills Trail north of there - a 30-mile section ending up with the last 15 or so on the Chattooga River would be a great hike. I'm not familiar enough with the FT to know about where to put on, etc., but others here are. I also hear that it's underutilized enough that crowds / those preferring not to camp around a BS Troop are less of an issue.

Have fun!

Steve

OutdoorsMan
03-25-2008, 23:04
Envirodiver, so far we have hiked in our Patrols (7-8 man groups) but converged into one group in the evening. We need to get away from that though since we won't be doing that at Philmont and I know how disagreeable such a large group can be to others on the trail.

Tom

emerald
03-26-2008, 02:51
Readers may wish to click on requirements (http://meritbadge.org/?title=Backpacking) to view what's expected of scouts who seek this recognition. Prospective AT hikers who have limited experience would do well to prepare themselves by pursuing this course of study.

Lone Wolf
03-26-2008, 03:41
Massie Gap in Grayson Highlands State Park SOBO to Damascus. 33 miles.

Ashman
03-26-2008, 06:42
Ashby Gap VA NOBO to Harper's Ferry. 34 miles goes through the famed "roller coaster" ends in Harper's Ferry where the ATC headquarters is. The history stuff may be a neat pre or post trip add on that might even helps the boys with some of the other badges. The Harper's Ferry visit would satisfy part of requirement 2 for Citizenship in the Nation. It could help with others as well but that is the first one that comes to my old scout memory

Hooch
03-26-2008, 07:09
2 good hikes that come to mind on that one are I-40 overpass in TN to Hot Springs, NC, about 36 miles. You can cut a little off it by starting at Standing Bear Farn instead. The other is Fontana Dam to the NOC, or vice-versa.

Lone Wolf
03-26-2008, 07:12
Ashby Gap VA NOBO to Harper's Ferry. 34 miles goes through the famed "roller coaster" ends in Harper's Ferry where the ATC headquarters is.

"famed" for being notoriously disappointing. when you're through it you wonder where the heck the tough part was :)

bloodmountainman
03-26-2008, 07:16
The Fires Creek Rim Trail in the Nantahala NF is a 25 mile round trip. Trailhead is near Leatherwood Falls and follows ridge around Fires Creek.

The Snowbird Mountain area has some good trails you may be able to get 30 miles out of.

Standing Indian campground has several trails all connecting the AT, that could cover the distance you are looking for.

chelko
03-26-2008, 08:28
I have taken scout troup trips on the Art Loeb trail in Pisgah NF for the same requirement. Stay off the AT in late march with such a large group. The thrus and section hikers get a little cranky with such a large group out there. We broke into two groups one started at the northern end at Camp Daniel Boone the other at the southern end at Davidson River Campground. 4 days 3 nights two adult leaders with each group pass each other and trade car keys at the midway point. I will be glad to share the details off line if you like.

Kevin

704-344-0551

gold bond
03-26-2008, 09:00
How about Deep Gap to Telico Gap. I do have to agree with Chelko on the time of year on the AT.
Our troop as well has done the Chatooga River Trail and the Shining Rock section.
The Daniel Boone loop is real good. You can do that as a fifty miler and you guys will have a great time in doing it!
There are sections on the foothills trail but I am not experienced with the FHT but do know a scoutmaster here in columbia the has done it several times and is part of the FHC. With your permission I will give him your number and have him call you.

rpenczek
03-26-2008, 09:34
On LWolf's recommendation, and lots of other reading, 16 people from my Troop are hiking the AT from Hurricane Campground to Damascus in July. This is just a bit longer than you are looking to do, and can be shortened with a shuttle off the trail and into Damascus.

We will break into two groups (one will go North and one South) to limit our impact and bother to other hikers.

Monkeyboy
03-26-2008, 09:58
I wouldn't worry to much about "bothering" section hikers or thrus. You have just as much right to be on the trail as they do.

With that being said, however, I wouldn't try to stay at shelters, since there is no way your group could fit in one. Instead, stay in camping areas close to a water source or if you do go to the shelter, pick camping sites the farthest away from the shelter as to not bother other hikers.

With only doing thirty miles (our troop did about 85 last year), they will be pretty rested, but when doing longer hikes, the boys were pretty tired afterward. So even at camping at the shelters, they just wanted to eat and go to bed. No bothering of others in the shelters. Plus, you might want to consider doing 20 more miles, to get not only backpacking, but your 50 miler award.

With every hiker we encountered, they all said they couldn't believe we were a scout troop, because our boys were extremely polite and well behaved. So making sure that they stay courteous and polite goes a LOOONNNGGGG way.

BlackCloud
03-26-2008, 10:02
Ashby Gap VA NOBO to Harper's Ferry. 34 miles goes through the famed "roller coaster"

The man is an Assistant Scoutmaster, not drill Sgt. These are BOYS, not MARINES.

The roller coaster is considered by many to be one of the harder (or at least more unenjoyable) sections of the entire AT.

BlackCloud
03-26-2008, 10:03
"famed" for being notoriously disappointing. when you're through it you wonder where the heck the tough part was :)

Do it in July as part of a 20 mile day.

BlackCloud
03-26-2008, 10:07
Since most others are giving you choices for older, more advanced scouts, may I suggest a few easier alternatives.

1st: C&O Canal NHP in Maryland. It is 184.5 miles long and completely flat. It has campgrounds every 5-10 miles w/ well water, picnic tables, latrine, & grill. Very pretty walk along the river, but relatively monotonous.

2nd: VA Creeper Trail in NC. 17% grade down from Whitetop Station to Damascus. Less boring, more scenic, but even easier.

Just a couple of alternatives...

Lone Wolf
03-26-2008, 10:15
Do it in July as part of a 20 mile day.

i have. it still ain't no biggie

PJ 2005
03-26-2008, 10:49
What roller coaster? Must not have noticed ;)

Grayson would be awesome - you might also consider half of the Smokys. Newfound gap north would be nice and manageable. South... well... it's an ordeal to get to Fontana.

10-K
03-26-2008, 14:23
I've only hiked 10% of the trail but so my favorite has been from Devil's Fork Gap to Nolichucky River (Erwin, TN) - about 32 miles.

jesse
03-26-2008, 14:33
The thrus and section hikers get a little cranky with such a large group out there.

Yea, your big group is bothering my big group.

cavscout
03-26-2008, 15:17
Back in the early 80's my scout troop did the Foothills trail for our 50 miler award. I have a lot of good memories from that trip.

Drew54
03-26-2008, 16:16
please keep boy scouts out of the wilderness.

i know what goes on, boy scouts is about helping old ladies across the street, making unsafely huge fires, and car camping. stick to it. thanks

ASUGrad
03-26-2008, 16:52
Hike from 30 miles north to Pearisburg. It's some fairly easy terrain. Our Scout troop does some hiking in that area.

emerald
03-26-2008, 17:28
Back in the early 80's my scout troop did the Foothills trail for our 50 miler award. I have a lot of good memories from that trip.

Good for you and everyone who shared the accomplishment.:welcome Keep posting and ignore the noise.:)

cavscout
03-26-2008, 19:37
Thanks SOG.

Drew, knowing you need help across the street is half the battle, now all you have to do is ask and a scout will be along directly to help you ;) and please remain calm.

hopefulhiker
03-26-2008, 19:46
You might consider planning a hike around Erwin TN, or Damascus VA.... There is an relatively easy stretch from Carver's Gap to Erwin TN that is almost thirty miles I think...

OutdoorsMan
03-26-2008, 21:00
How about Deep Gap to Telico Gap. I do have to agree with Chelko on the time of year on the AT.
Our troop as well has done the Chatooga River Trail and the Shining Rock section.
The Daniel Boone loop is real good. You can do that as a fifty miler and you guys will have a great time in doing it!
There are sections on the foothills trail but I am not experienced with the FHT but do know a scoutmaster here in columbia the has done it several times and is part of the FHC. With your permission I will give him your number and have him call you.
Permission granted.

Thanks,

Tom
252-504-0900

OutdoorsMan
03-28-2008, 00:53
With only doing thirty miles (our troop did about 85 last year), they will be pretty rested, but when doing longer hikes, the boys were pretty tired afterward. So even at camping at the shelters, they just wanted to eat and go to bed. No bothering of others in the shelters. Plus, you might want to consider doing 20 more miles, to get not only backpacking, but your 50 miler award.

Thanks for your input. Yes, I believe that we will expand our horizons and do a 50 miler.

Nearly Normal
03-28-2008, 05:48
Hi, Tom. Our troop regularly hikes on the Chattooga River Trail. I've been looking into doing sections of the Foothills Trail north of there - a 30-mile section ending up with the last 15 or so on the Chattooga River would be a great hike. I'm not familiar enough with the FT to know about where to put on, etc., but others here are. I also hear that it's underutilized enough that crowds / those preferring not to camp around a BS Troop are less of an issue.

Have fun!

Steve

That would be a super hike for kids. The River would hold their attention well. They would always remember that hike.
They would probably need someone familiar with the trail. For a large group camping would be limited to specific spots. Legal camping requires 50 feet from the river and trail. 1/4 mile from any road access.

gold bond
03-28-2008, 08:13
please keep boy scouts out of the wilderness.

i know what goes on, boy scouts is about helping old ladies across the street, making unsafely huge fires, and car camping. stick to it. thanks

May the ticks of a thousand rabid shelter rats infest your crotch!:eek:

ASUGrad
03-28-2008, 09:34
The Jenny Knob Shelter to Pearisburg, Va should about do it. It's a pretty easy bounce.