PDA

View Full Version : Hiking the Swiss Alps?

Goon
03-25-2008, 22:52
I'm traveling to Europe this summer. I'm taking the train from Germany to Rome over a couple of weeks, and I'd like to spend 2-3 days in the alps as I pass through Switzerland and do some day nice day hikes.

Any recommendations? I'm trying to decide if I want to stop over near Zurich, Bern or Geneva. A nice fun place when I'm not hiking would be great too. :)

Thanks!

Frosty
03-25-2008, 23:58
I'm traveling to Europe this summer. I'm taking the train from Germany to Rome over a couple of weeks, and I'd like to spend 2-3 days in the alps as I pass through Switzerland and do some day nice day hikes.

Any recommendations? I'm trying to decide if I want to stop over near Zurich, Bern or Geneva. A nice fun place when I'm not hiking would be great too. :)

Thanks!Base yourself in Interlaken would be my recommendation. Plenty of info via Google or go to bookstore and peruse travel section.

Several relatively cheap (for Europe in general and Switzewrland in particular) hiker friendly hostels there, and funicular railways and cable cars to bring to to the tops of mountains where you can hike in the sky and walk back down (or ride of course).

If you want to overnight high up, there is a hut system (they're called refugios).

Switzerland does not use euros, so it might be a good idea to get some Swiss francs as well as euros here before you leave.

Summit
03-26-2008, 07:02
Lauternbrunnen Valley, very close to Interlaken, is a MUST SEE. It makes Yosemite Valley look like a walk in the park. Go to webshots.com and search the word. Some nice pictures. Plenty of trails all over the place in the Alps, but you would be best to plan on doing your hiking the European way. Although not vorboten (forbidden), tent camping is not the norm, and the trail grades are not designed for full load packs, although if you can get down under 25 lbs. you'd be OK toting a tent.

The European way is to stay in alpine huts, where you pay for your night in a community co-ed bunk room. No modesty among the European mindset, everyone changes clothes like it's no one's business. What I got used to doing while hiking the Alps was purchase the bunk and a good hot meal for dinner each day, and carried my breakfast and lunch food. You can get a large 2 liter container of hot water and do your own thing at a table in the eating room.

If this cultural way doesn't appeal to you, you can try tent camping, but you will not find a lot of campsites. The Alps are breathtaking to say the least, but you won't find miles and miles of wild places - too many ski slopes and cow grazing lands. Be prepared to slop through a lot of cow poop.

Another great area is in Tirol near the Italian border where you can hike in the famous Matterhorn area, and a hike to the top of Monte Rosa (highest mountain in Switzerland at 15,203 ft.) is a good one.

Have fun! You helped bring back fond memories. Meld into the culture. Don't be an "ugly American" (one who acts like the entire world should be and act like we do).

Summit
03-26-2008, 07:02
Opps . . . misspelled Lauterbrunnen!

Summit
03-26-2008, 07:03
Oops . . . misspelled Opps! :D

fiddlehead
03-26-2008, 09:29
I agree, Interlaken would be my choice.

I hiked there about 14 years ago and went up to a high village and stayed in a rustic hostel there. Then we dayhiked out of the hut/bungalow type place.
The highlight of that trip was going up the Shilthorn (where they filmed the James Bond movie) in a blizzard with 2 aussie girls who had never seen snow before.
Most everyone goes up the Shilthorn in the cable car (expensive) (as there is a nice restaurant on top that shows the movie over and over) and there was barely another way in until i found a rock cliff to climb to get up on the deck, then found the button for the snowcat garage door and opened it up for the girls and my friend.

They didn't want to go back out in the snow so took the cable car down (i think it was $50) We went out and grabbed some rocks for ice ax substitute and slid down until we got below the snow. It was a great experience.

I've skied a lot of different ski areas in Switzerland also and the Interlaken area has the most going for it in a fairly small area. The Eiger is nearby too.

Enjoy, I'm sure you'll have a great time (if you can afford it) The dollar is way down now, of `course. .

Bluebearee
03-26-2008, 09:47
Kandersteg... Interlaken... Grindelwald....Zermatt if you have time to take the train from Brig up to there. I hiked the Haute Route last summer from Chamonix to Zermatt... one of the most beautiful walks in the world. I tend to spend my time in the SW/Bernese Oberland region so can't speak to anything around the cities. Trains go everywhere, so you're not bound to them.

stumpy
03-26-2008, 17:39
I spent about 18 days in Europe in 1999. My then girlfriend (now wife) studied in Italy for a semester so I went over for a visit. I only got to spend about 4 days in the Swiss alps, but I loved it. The people were very friendly and helpful. At that time the dollar was stronger than it is now, but it was not all that expensive. I would love to get back there for a month or so.:D

Shutterbug
03-27-2008, 00:11

Thanks!

I spent a few days in Grindelwald and really enjoyed it. I enjoyed the day hikes, but the high point was riding the "trotty bikes." You can ride the ski lift from Grindelwald up the mountain. At the top, you get a "trotty bike" -- a bike with no pedals, and coast back down the mountain to Grindelwald. Try to see if you can make it without using your brakes!!

I also spent some time in Arosa. It is a fun little village, but I like Grindelwald better.

Summit
03-27-2008, 07:01
Grindelwald is several thousand feet up one side of Lauterbrunnen Valley, and Wengen is a little higher up on the other side. I chose the Wengen side during my visit/hike there and only looked across at Grindelwald. Such a beautiful area.

My first night campsite was in a high pasture at about 10K ft. well above and several miles out of Wengen, with views across Lauterbrunnen Valley to the Eiger, Jung Frau, and third peak I don't recall the name of. I saw a couple of huge avalanches on the Jung Frau toward sunset. It was awesome!

Summit
03-27-2008, 12:39
Here is just a glimpse of what Lauterbrunnen Valley looks like:

http://thumb10.webshots.net/t/54/54/2/71/19/514127119kcpJYC_th.jpg

Frosty
03-27-2008, 19:50
My first night campsite was in a high pasture at about 10K ft. well above and several miles out of Wengen, with views across Lauterbrunnen Valley to the Eiger, Jung Frau, and third peak I don't recall the name of. Monch.

Eiger, Jungfrau and Monch mean Ogre, Maiden and Monk. The Monk is protecting the Maiden from the Ogre.

Goon
03-30-2008, 14:06
Thanks for all the replies. Looks like the consensus is Interlaken. I can't wait. :D