PDA

View Full Version : Issues for long distance hikers w/thyoid diseases.

snuffleupagus
01-25-2004, 00:02
I'm going to be out hiking this Spring. I have some concerns about a medical condition I have with my thyroid gland. I'm 6'4" tall and weigh-in about 320lbs but have managed to remain fairly active, athletically. "I'm a great big guy". (use to play semi pro-football) Some of the concerns I have are in regard to lowering the amount of calories that I take in, as of now, and the meals that I'm going to be preparring on the trail. Mostly the ratio of high carb meals as upposed to a high protein diet and eating nearly anything I want to. I'll be bringing mostly pre-packaged noodles and rice as a staple, and flavoring those meals with tuna, chicken, olive oil and butter and other seasonings. I'll be bringing a lot of granola and power bars. I'm trying to stay away from high sodium gravy mix's some which can contain over 500mg of sodium per serving. (Gives me a raging head aches at night).
My major concern is muscle failure or dehydration. I can overcome electrolyte loss by keeping up with fluid intake. I love Kool Aid for the convenience. Not much of a concern unless all the water sources along the A.T. dry up all at once. But in accordance with my caloric intake, I'm pretty limited to how much food I can carry to in relation to how much I normally eat. As of now 4000 calories is a staple diet for me. 3 meals a day with a good workout in the evening at the gym.
I've just adjusted my work-out at the gym to increase my cardio time to 1:15 + resistance training. I do this on an incline treadmill or stationary bike. When I'm through with my routine my level of consentration is nearly nil. That's a big concern for me as I would prefer not to walk off any cliffs or cross any major highways in this state of mind. Also I've decided to leave my pump type water purifier at home while hiking and use chemical treatments for my water as a measure to lower my pack weight. If anyone has a similar condition is this a smart idea or can you make any suggestions on caloric needs. I'm not on any prescribed medications as of now and I'm hoping that hiking the trail will help me lose the weight I need to maintain a healthy lifestyle without needing medication.

Happy
01-25-2004, 01:45
No problem...carry a lot of olive oil and include it with each meal preparation as it will give you the healthy calories you need...also include a lot of nuts and low fat cheese...also include pita bread-tortillas, and any kind of sour-dought bread.

Dances with Mice
01-25-2004, 01:57
I'm going to be out hiking this Spring. --snip-- My major concern is muscle failure or dehydration. --snip-- Also I've decided to leave my pump type water purifier at home while hiking and use chemical treatments for my water as a measure to lower my pack weight. --snip-- I'm not on any prescribed medications as of now and I'm hoping that hiking the trail will help me lose the weight I need to maintain a healthy lifestyle without needing medication.

Take the water treatment you plan to use to your doctor and ask him how it might affect your thyroid condition. I'm not your size but I go through 3 - 4 quarts of water a day when hiking, that's not counting meals or hot drinks at breakfast or supper, so give him a good estimate of how much of the water treatment you'll be taking and the length of time you plan to use it. Also ask about the effects of OTC painkillers - Ibuprofen, Tylenol, or whatever you're going to carry. Ask some 'what if' question - what if you have to take 'Vitamin I' daily for several weeks or months? What if you need a knee brace later, what type would he recommend? What symptoms should you be alert for that indicate your thyroid is getting off-kilter? Stuff like that.

Don't worry too much about food. The first couple of weeks you're going to lose your appetite. You'll get it back later, with interest.

gravityman
01-26-2004, 11:54
I know that iodine effects the thyroid. Talk with your doctor about this. Aquamira is the only non-iodine chemical water treatment out there (other than bleach, but that's a whole big discussion as to whether that works or not).

Gravity Man

dudeijuststarted
02-16-2016, 13:45
Wanted to add some info to this thread. About 4 months after my thru, I felt swelling in my thyroid area, with arthritis in my neck and shoulders. Doctors found a "multinodular goiter," and the biopsy came back negative for anything malignant. Bloodwork came back with the following results:

- high TSH, low T3: repeatedly showing an underactive thyroid across multiple blood tests. I was prescribed levothyroxine 25mcg and the swelling /arthritis episodes have stopped. My father is also on levothyroxine and is not at all athletic. The underactive thyroid may or may not be related to the thru hike, but I have heard of mma fighters, wrestlers, etc, developing thyroid problems due to excessive weight cuts. I dropped @25lbs on my thru, and kept it off by staying on trail and in the gym when the hike was over.

- Mild anemia: large red blood cells with a low red blood cell count, accompanied by iron deficiency. The nutritionist said this is commonly seen in marathon runners and could be a result of the thru hike. "Prescribed" multivitamins with iron.

- Vitamin D deficiency: borderline deficient. Supplementing with 4000iu of vitamin D daily.

All better.

Point being: the thyroid disorder hit hard and was not a fun ride. I'd suggest getting a comprehensive workup prior to and immediately following the thru hike, particularly if you are over 30. Even if you feel well, there might be an existing deficiency that will not show up until the body is put under extreme stress. A simple doctor's visit can keep you healthy on-trail and afterwards, and we all want a lifetime of happy hiking!