PDA

View Full Version : water filter

ragdy-andy
03-26-2008, 03:02
so i'm to have this great adventure in a week and a half and i'm prett much set.
i just what people think about water filters and if you can give me some light good ones( i mean names of one's you don't have to buys it for me;)
thanks

ragdy-andy
03-26-2008, 03:03
wow
it's late and i missed a ton of letters, but i think you guys got the picture

Chef2000
03-26-2008, 05:50
I have always used PUR, now Katadyn. The last few years I have carried the smaller version I believe it is called Hiker. On my GA-ME hike I carried a larger PUR which made the whole trip but was taped up in several places and leaked water when i pumped. Lots a folks will tell u not use a filter, just treatment of some kind. I prefer my water to be dirt free as well as any micro critters that might be in there. Remeber those treatments just kill the micros, there bodies are still in the water.

aaroniguana
03-26-2008, 06:44
Katadyn Hiker Pro. Small, light, reliable and 2000 gallons per cartridge. Do yourself a favor, do a little preventative maintenance. I made a small pouch of uncoated ripstop held on with a rubber band to strain silt from the intake. Never gotten a grain of sand in it.

warren doyle
03-26-2008, 11:24
My Sierra cup is my water filter.

ScottP
03-26-2008, 11:37
I prefer the immune-system just drink. I think Warren and I use the same filter, just different brands.

I do carry a small dropper bottle of bleach (per red cross recommendations), but that's more to deal with the 'There's a dead bird in the only water within 25 miles' factor that you can get out west.

Blissful
03-26-2008, 11:48
Aqua mira

Lone Wolf
03-26-2008, 12:23
My Sierra cup is my water filter.

my beard and teeth

Dholmblad
03-26-2008, 12:42
I prefer the immune-system just drink. I think Warren and I use the same filter, just different brands.

I do carry a small dropper bottle of bleach (per red cross recommendations), but that's more to deal with the 'There's a dead bird in the only water within 25 miles' factor that you can get out west.

I second this, I just stay away from creeks and such.

Mad Hatter 08
03-26-2008, 14:58
while I was out on the trail Pops had a steri-pen that he used and I plan on getting one soon. Most of the water was running well and so it was easy to get clean dirt free water. Bananas also had a steri-pen pre-filter on her nalgene which you could get to make sure any dirt gets removed if you like. it only weighs aroud 4 oz depending on which version you get.

Mad Hatter 08
03-26-2008, 14:59
the steri-pen does

Flush2wice
03-26-2008, 15:41
If you condition your digestive sytem properly you won't need a filter. I condition mine regularly with George Dickel.