PDA

View Full Version : Any speedhikers having a go this year?

Crustacean
03-26-2008, 10:19
It should be getting easier every year with all the switchbacks. Too bad they got rid of all those steep climbs in the Nantahalas like the switchbacks they added half way up the climb heading north outta Sweetwater Gap.

Lone Wolf
03-26-2008, 10:24
ain't heard of none. serious attempts anyway. i wish a woman would go for a record. i know some very tough ultra ladies

Jeff
03-26-2008, 10:29
This thread talks about a 2008 attempt

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=32105&highlight=speed+record

Lone Wolf
03-26-2008, 10:30
oops. forgot about him. haven't heard from him in a while

warren doyle
03-26-2008, 10:43
1) Karl Meltzer going for a supported AT endurance record this hiking season.

2) Jennifer Pharr (LT record holder w/o support both men/women) is going for the women's record on the AT w/ support on a SOBO starting this June.

3) Have not heard from Wild Cowboy's 'AT in 30 days' attempt this season.

4) Squeaky's 'AT in under 40 days' attempt is on hold.

The new switchbacks partially up the knob just north of Sweetwater Gap should make no difference in a future record attempt.

My opinion on success of:

1) Possibly

2) Probably

3) Never

4) Never

Lone Wolf
03-26-2008, 10:45
what is the ladies supported record?

warren doyle
03-26-2008, 11:21
what is the ladies supported record?

I don't really know of one.

It could be the women in the 1975, 1977 and 1980 AT UCONN Circle Expeditions that were 109 days in length.

The unsupported AT record is Jenny Jardine who backpacked the trail with her husband Ray in 2 months and 28 days (which I ssume is 89 days).

I just met Rebekah Trittipoe, a David Horton protogee, running on the trail near Apple Orchard Mt. last Saturday. She set the endurance record (supported both male and female) on the Allegheny Trail last summer (7 days and 6 hours).

So three long distance trails (LT, JMT and AllT) with women record holders. Fascinating (in a good way)!

skinny minnie
03-26-2008, 11:38
I would have guessed Jenny Jardine too, for supported. I'll be interested in seeing how Jennifer Pharr does. Not going to throw my hat in the ring, though. At least, not yet! ;)

Jack Tarlin
03-26-2008, 18:04
Note:

In light of all this talk of "records" and "record attempts."

There are no official speed "records" on the Appalachian Trail.

No official group or organization either records, certifies, verifies, keeps track of, or even acknowledges them.

The "records" exist only in the minds of those who seek recognition and dubious bragging rights, or those who for whatever reasons are impressed by theis sort of thing.

warren doyle
03-26-2008, 18:06
"The Great Oz has spoken!"

Why, who is behind that curtain Toto?

Lone Wolf
03-26-2008, 18:32

No official group or organization either records, certifies, verifies, keeps track of, or even acknowledges them.

The "records" exist only in the minds of those who seek recognition and dubious bragging rights, or those who for whatever reasons are impressed by theis sort of thing.

nothing official. correct. but there are those of us who know who does what, records-wise. these people are honest, serious athletes and hardly braggarts unlike your regular thru-hiker of which i ain't impressed

Dirty Harry
03-26-2008, 18:33
I'm Impressed.

Lone Wolf
03-26-2008, 18:36
I'm Impressed.

by what?

JAK
03-26-2008, 18:38
Note:

In light of all this talk of "official groups" and "official organizations."

There are no official "groups or organizations" on the Appalachian Trail.

No official group or organization exists for real, either as dirt, wood chips, lumber, concrete, stone, rock, or anything else that can be actually be walked on.

The "organizations" exist only in the minds of those who seek recognition and dubious bragging rights, or those who for whatever reasons are impressed by this sort of thing.

Dirty Harry
03-26-2008, 18:41
wow it must be a fresh topic, I was replying to jacks post, I'm on a phone in franklin slow response, and fat typing thums.

rickb
03-26-2008, 19:15
Note:

The irony here is that the only "record" kept track of, certified, and acknowledged by an "official organization" is awarded with the full knowledge that a huge percentge of those so recognized by it, don't meet the ATCs requirements in either substance or spirit.

But where no official record or recording exists, honor and truth prevail.

Good luck to all those who set records, and kudos to those who have in the past.

JAK
03-26-2008, 19:19
Good luck also to all those who create irony, and kudos to those who have in the past.

God couldn't make life both fair and ironic. So he gave us irony.

warren doyle
03-26-2008, 20:01

Good luck to all those who set records, and kudos to those who have in the past.

Right on!

Lone Wolf
03-26-2008, 20:08
The irony here is that the only "record" kept track of, certified, and acknowledged by an "official organization" is awarded with the full knowledge that a huge percentge of those so recognized by it, don't meet the ATCs requirements in either substance or spirit.

exactly. i've supported 3 of the finest in thier endeavors. no BS about them

mrc237
03-26-2008, 20:21
nothing official. correct. but there are those of us who know who does what, records-wise. these people are honest, serious athletes and hardly braggarts unlike your regular thru-hiker of which i ain't impressed

You don't mean those hikers that post all their multiple thrus at the top of their posts? :rolleyes:

Lone Wolf
03-26-2008, 20:26
yeah. them self-loving dinks

Flush2wice
03-26-2008, 20:33
Note:

They frown on "speed" records but they recognize plenty of others. That's kind of strange if you ask me.
http://www.appalachiantrail.org/site/c.jkLXJ8MQKtH/b.851151/k.4C05/Noteworthy_2000Milers.htm

clured
03-27-2008, 00:10
Note:

It's weird how there's always that sagely, too-chill-for-words self-ordained trail-king that comes along and basically just tries to diminish the massive amount of effort that goes into endurance hikes by saying that they aren't "official." What cares, Jack? And you're wrong. The records do exist. There is, in fact, someone who has hiked the AT faster than anyone else. That's a fact. That it isn't tabulated by the ATC is irrelevant.

rafe
03-27-2008, 07:37
There is, in fact, someone who has hiked the AT faster than anyone else. That's a fact. That it isn't tabulated by the ATC is irrelevant.

A "fact" that can't be verified or confirmed is not... a fact.

Lone Wolf
03-27-2008, 08:13
A "fact" that can't be verified or confirmed is not... a fact.

just like all the people who supposedly hike the entire AT every year and get a certificate from the ATC. no verification or confirmation needed

buff_jeff
03-27-2008, 08:51
just like all the people who supposedly hike the entire AT every year and get a certificate from the ATC. no verification or confirmation needed

Ah, what's a dozen miles here, couple hundred there? We all know PA doesn't count anyway. I'm just doing it for the certificate so I can show all my buddies.

/sarcasm.

Speedgoat Karl
03-27-2008, 10:11
Records are in the mind of the beholder! I just can't wait to get started. I'm gonna post my "itinerary" on April 1st. For those who would like to throw in some useful info for me, that would be great...or perhaps some criticism, that would be great too. Recently won my 23rd 100 mile race in Southern California. After driving a total of 2100 miles, I thought to myself...I have to walk this far? Damn right and I can't wait! The tracking I'll have is super high tech for those who wish to watch it almost live the entire hike. Backcountry.com (http://www.backcountry.com/store/dc/555/karl-meltzer.html?CMP_ID=CM_ATH0022)will be the major supporter with crew and technology, any way we look at it, it's gonna be fun, record or not. That's what it's all about. Just for the record for those who don't think records really exist on the AT, you are wrong. Most of recognize Andrew's stellar through-hike. Check into Karlmeltzer.com (http://www.karlmeltzer.com)for the itinerary on April 1st. And that's a caoi for now, Speedgoat Karl

Tin Man
03-27-2008, 10:28
Whatever your thoughts are on using the AT as a race track, it is sure a lot more interesting to follow than 95% of the stuff in the Guiness Book of mindless stunts.

Tin Man
03-27-2008, 10:50
Three Guiness records that may shed some light on the upper limits of speed records and one that shows how goofy these records can be.

---

The greatest distance travelled on a treadmill in 24 hours by a woman is 247.2 km (153.6 miles) by Edit Berces (Hungary) at the Eurocentre Shopping Mall, Budapest, Hungary on 8-9 March 2004.

The greatest distance run on a treadmill in 24 hours is 247.68 km (153.9 miles) and was achieved by Erwin Valdenebito (Chile) at the Plaza de Armas, in Santiago City, Chile on 12–13 April 2007.

The most Ironman races completed in a year is 14 by Jacques Fox (Luxembourg), starting in Malaysia in February 2004 and ending in Hawaii, USA in November 2004.

The greatest distance walked by a person continuously balancing a milk bottle on the head is 130.3 km (80.96 miles) by Ashrita Furman of New York, USA, around Victory Field track, Forest Park, Queens, on April 22–23, 1998. It took him 23 hours 35 minutes to complete the walk.

http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/records/sports_and_games/athletics/treadmill,_distance_run_in_24_hours,_female.aspx

Lone Wolf
03-27-2008, 11:02
Whatever your thoughts are on using the AT as a race track, it is sure a lot more interesting to follow than 95% of the stuff in the Guiness Book of mindless stunts.

thru-hikers race through the AT

Tin Man
03-27-2008, 11:08
thru-hikers race through the AT

Yes... and then there is the MS hike. ;)

Appalachian Tater
03-27-2008, 11:32
What is the fastest someone has ever hiked the A.T. with a milk bottle balanced on their head? That is the only speed record I am interested in. Unless someone hiked it with a milk bottle balanced on their head, walking backwards.

Appalachian Tater
03-27-2008, 11:35
Or while keeping a hula-hoop in continuous motion or keeping a soccer ball in the air by only using their head.

Tin Man
03-27-2008, 11:35
What is the fastest someone has ever hiked the A.T. with a milk bottle balanced on their head? That is the only speed record I am interested in. Unless someone hiked it with a milk bottle balanced on their head, walking backwards.

there are rumors that a milk bottle balancer walked the AT backwards in 99 days, but he was naked, does that count?

Appalachian Tater
03-27-2008, 11:36
Yes, naked is a plus. So is barefoot or wearing all one color. Or having a litter of piglets in sweaters.

Tin Man
03-27-2008, 11:43
It's getting too complicated. Each variation is going to encourage more variations and the AT will turn into a circus. Can the smilie druggies be far behind? That could even bring the cyberhikers out from behind their keyboards - then it will be all over. Back to basics, I say...

Go Karl!

Speedgoat Karl
03-27-2008, 12:46
Before we know it we'll be on playstation and all fat with our potato chips! Thanks for the good words Tin Man, I hope to see you out there this summer! It's gonna be a fun one. Caoi for now! -Speedgoat Karl

CrumbSnatcher
03-27-2008, 15:18
good luck speedgoat,i wish you the best.

JAK
03-27-2008, 16:14
A "fact" that can't be verified or confirmed is not... a fact.'A flute with no holes is still a flute, a donut with no holes? It's a danish'
- Ty Webb

Wilson
03-27-2008, 16:23
They'll be a lot of people interested in your hike Karl, me for one. Good luck.

BobTheBuilder
03-27-2008, 16:52
I might be fat from potato chips, but its Wii for me, not Playstation, so there!

warren doyle
06-25-2008, 23:15
Just got a call from Jennifer.
Her and her husband (Brew in support) are off to a phenomenal start considering the weather/trail/stream conditions in Maine the past week.
She has made it to Rangeley before dark this evening (220 miles in 6 days - 36.6 mpd).
She will be taking a less difficult two days to Grafton Notch to be fresh for the Mahoosucs/Whites with the hope of arriving in Hanover on July 3rd, 14 days after she started from Katahdin (31.5 mpd).

Tin Man
06-25-2008, 23:20
Cool. Thanks for the update Warren. :)

Go Jennifer!

warren doyle
07-07-2008, 14:43
Despite wet trail/ high stream conditions, Jennifer did make it into Hanover in good shape and spirit in 14 days (Thursday July 3rd) after leaving Katahdin. This is a remarkable beginning. I would imagine she will be ending either at Rt. 9 outside of Bennington this evening or at Rt. 2 in Williamstown.
Stay tuned for more updates on her progress southward.

A-Train
07-07-2008, 16:32
Despite wet trail/ high stream conditions, Jennifer did make it into Hanover in good shape and spirit in 14 days (Thursday July 3rd) after leaving Katahdin. This is a remarkable beginning. I would imagine she will be ending either at Rt. 9 outside of Bennington this evening or at Rt. 2 in Williamstown.
Stay tuned for more updates on her progress southward.

WOW.

30 mpd thru Maine and New Hampshire is impressive with van support or not.

I wish her continued luck. She should be able to fly now.

Sly
07-07-2008, 17:27
Speed records are cool but I admire those that take their time, like myself!

CrumbSnatcher
07-07-2008, 18:43
You don't mean those hikers that post all their multiple thrus at the top of their posts? :rolleyes:
the forumn format ask what years you thru-hiked whats wrong with posting it. to me its not a bragging thing(like lone wolf says, its just walking)i'm proud of what i've accomplished on the trail, and not just the miles. the trail volunteer work, helping out friends when thier hurt and carrying some of the pack weight for them for a few days or a few hundred miles. paying my own way. tipping waitresses(i've seen hikers who don't tip, saying there on a tight budget. thats sad) or acting like thier broke to get some free help. mad cause they haven't gotten enough trail magic. i guess i'm a self loving dink like wolf says, oh well. on my 2002 thru i was bored and went home in penn.,later in the fall i drove up to katahdin and hiked south. i still owe myself a few miles,so i didn't claim a certificate. i know alot of hikers bounce around alot, thats fine. missing a few miles is fine,blue blazing is fun.unless you want the certificate,then you need to make every effort to hike all the white blazes. if you can't be honest to yourself whats the point...

Sly
07-07-2008, 18:58
tipping waitresses(i've seen hikers who don't tip, saying there on a tight budget. thats sad)

Real sad. If they can't afford to tip their servers they shouldn't be eating out.

CrumbSnatcher
07-07-2008, 19:33
not trying to rant. i know alot of multi year hikers,some of them on white blaze. some of them post their years some don't. all great people! i hiked alot of different years,cause i had nothing better to do. i didn't have a life!, like alot section hikers do. hell just had my first(and only) kid, last year at 41 yrs. old met so many great people over the years on the trail. wouldn't trade the memories for anything.

slow
07-07-2008, 22:34
not Trying To Rant. I Know Alot Of Multi Year Hikers,some Of Them On White Blaze. Some Of Them Post Their Years Some Don't. All Great People! I Hiked Alot Of Different Years,cause I Had Nothing Better To Do. I Didn't Have A Life!, Like Alot Section Hikers Do. Hell Just Had My First(and Only) Kid, Last Year At 41 Yrs. Old Met So Many Great People Over The Years On The Trail. Wouldn't Trade The Memories For Anything.

Nice Post.:)

fiddlehead
07-07-2008, 22:45
not trying to rant. i know alot of multi year hikers,some of them on white blaze. some of them post their years some don't. all great people! i hiked alot of different years,cause i had nothing better to do. i didn't have a life!, like alot section hikers do. hell just had my first(and only) kid, last year at 41 yrs. old met so many great people over the years on the trail. wouldn't trade the memories for anything.

Looks like i'm in the same boat as you. Had my first kid when i was 55.
He's as much fun as through hiking too.

CrumbSnatcher
07-07-2008, 22:53
hannah my daughter is going on her first hike in sept. she will be 11 1/2 months old.

CrumbSnatcher
07-07-2008, 22:58
Nice Post.:)
i was born in dade county florida :sun. grew up in nebraska? figure that one out. thanks for the huskers shoutout....

slow
07-07-2008, 23:40
i was born in dade county florida :sun. grew up in nebraska? figure that one out. thanks for the huskers shoutout....

Funny is i got to stand on the BIG... N...and free tour of the weight room because the 70yr gate men...could not think a tampa boy come all this way.

GO BIG RED.:sun

warren doyle
07-09-2008, 11:10
Jennifer Pharr Davis called from Cheshire, MA at 7:30pm yesterday (Tuesday) evening, 19 days after leaving Katahdin (32.1 miles per day). She plans to be in the Kent, CT area on Friday.
She and her husband (Brew in support vehicle) are in good spirits. Since she likes heat and that she probably won't have any more three week period of precipitation (i.e. w/many fords) and rugged terrain left, a new women's AT endurance record (supported) should be set before September, barring an accident of course.

Lone Wolf
07-09-2008, 11:12
that's very cool. good for her

jersey joe
07-09-2008, 12:02
The hardest part is over...Go Jennifer!

warren doyle
07-09-2008, 12:34
The hardest part is over...Go Jennifer!

I respectfully disagree.

In long distance trail endurance hiking, one type of difficulty is replaced by another type of difficulty until one's final step to the last blaze on Springer (or Katahdin).

Several Long Trail record attemptors (SOBO) have broken down psychologically less than a day from the finish.

A case possibly can be made though that the hardest part in terms of physical terrain and consistent rough treadway is over. However, there are still the 200+ miles of rocky treadway from High Point to Cove Mt. still to come.

Marta
07-09-2008, 12:44
Good luck to Jennifer. Please keep us updated on her progress.

A-Train
07-09-2008, 13:20
Doyle is right.

One thing I think she has going for her, if I'm correct, is that she's not trying to beat a specific record, rather than just trying to set one. She doesn't have to kill herself getting 47 days like Karl will.

gravityman
07-09-2008, 14:10
She needs to finish in less than 87 days (Jenny Jardine)

Lone Wolf
07-09-2008, 14:12
She needs to finish in less than 87 days (Jenny Jardine)

jenny jardine was UNsupported

gravityman
07-09-2008, 14:17
Anyone know what her trail name in 2005 was? She looks familiar...

Gravity

A-Train
07-09-2008, 14:53
Anyone know what her trail name in 2005 was? She looks familiar...

Gravity

I think Odessa. She should shatter Jardines record, course were comparing supported and unsupported.

gravityman
07-09-2008, 15:15
I think Odessa. She should shatter Jardines record, course were comparing supported and unsupported.

HA! Okay, that's why she looked familiar... Yes, she shouldn't have a problem finishing under the 89 days. Just pointing out that was the time goal at a minimum. Jenny will still have the unsupported record of course.

Gravity

warren doyle
07-11-2008, 17:59
Just finished talking to Jennifer (as she was hiking). She will be at the Bulls Bridge/Rt. 55 area tonight. 730 miles in 22 days - 33.2 mpd. She and Brew are in good spirits. She said she didn't have dry feet at the end of any of the 14 days it took her to walk from Katahdin to Hanover. Her journey is remarkable on several dynamics.

warren doyle
07-18-2008, 19:25
Jennifer called a little while ago.
She is past Swatara Gap on her 28th day out of Katahdin (34.7 mpd).
She continues to walk on with a great attitude.
Kudos to her support person and husband - Brew.
David Horton cheered her on for a few days and I'll add my voice tomorrow as I drive up north for about 20 days of hiking in NY/NJ/MA/VT/NH and a little ME.
She is on schedule to finish between 60 and 65 days.

Del Q
07-19-2008, 14:05
I agree Jack, pure insanity!

A clear philosophical miss.

Wilson
07-19-2008, 18:20
More here...http://blueridgeoutdoors.com/content/July-2008/Brew's-Blog/....for those interested.

Lillianp
07-19-2008, 20:05
While personally, I don't want to hike that fast through the AT, I think its totally awesome that she's doing this! Someone earlier posted about women holding the records in several trails. I'm unsurprised at this, as really, women aren't necessarily slower than men, its just a matter of physical fitness and numbers. The more women who participate in something, the more likely it is that the women who are EXTREMELY good at it will come forward and shatter records/etc. eg, after Title IX came into play, especially starting in the 90s, with the girls who were born around or after Title IX started to grow up, records were smashed left and right and now they're slowing down, because that number of women is getting closer to what men are at and its fewer in between because there are fewer and fewer women capable of beating the record!

warren doyle
07-21-2008, 11:12
Met, walked and talked with Jennifer and Brew late Saturday afternoon and evening between Duncannon and the Cumberland Valley. She reached the Cumberland Valley 29.5 days after leaving Katahdin. She is feeling real good on all fronts - physical, psychological and spiritual. Brew is doing an amazing job in support, even serenading Jenn on his guitar as she finished another 40+ mile day, almost impervious to the rocks and heat. Treated them to AYCE at Flying J on Rt. 11 in Carlisle. The 2008 Summer Olympics - AT version.

Tin Man
07-21-2008, 20:41
Read the following interviews to understand more about Jennifer Pharr Davis and her AT womens record attempt...

http://sherpajohn.blogspot.com/2008_05_01_archive.html (http://sherpajohn.blogspot.com/2008_05_01_archive.html)

http://www.blueridgenow.com/article/...NEWS/806220326 (http://www.blueridgenow.com/article/...NEWS/806220326)

Follow this link to Jennifer's Blog...

http://blueridgeoutdoors.com/content...ory/Pharr-Out/ (http://blueridgeoutdoors.com/content/category/Pharr-Out/)

rickb
07-21-2008, 21:51
good blog.

Woodstock 07
07-28-2008, 19:59
Andrew "Trail Dog" Thompson for president. I know him and David Horty and they are both the real deal. They spend alot more time doing good things for the trail and for the people who hike it than they ever do going for records. I spent time with both of them on my thru in '07 and they are incredable people. As far as Karl goes, I'll be crewing him the last 1000 and I will tell you this. He loves and respects the AT more than any other long trail and the reason he is going for the record on it is because the record Andrew has put down is so freakin' solid. He knows he has his work cut out for him and more than anything, he just wants to be in the woods and enjoy himself.

Lone Wolf
07-28-2008, 20:11
Andrew "Trail Dog" Thompson for president. I know him and David Horty and they are both the real deal. They spend alot more time doing good things for the trail and for the people who hike it than they ever do going for records. I spent time with both of them on my thru in '07 and they are incredable people. As far as Karl goes, I'll be crewing him the last 1000 and I will tell you this. He loves and respects the AT more than any other long trail and the reason he is going for the record on it is because the record Andrew has put down is so freakin' solid. He knows he has his work cut out for him and more than anything, he just wants to be in the woods and enjoy himself.

i've known horty 17 years and andy 10 years. tough, tough men. physically. mentally. karl though, is not a backpacker. i've seen his proposed itinerary. every day ends at a road. not good. he's got some short days in there. y'all need make him hike on at a road he plans to end at 40 miles. go in and set him up a tent. feed him chow. get him up in the AM. Squeaky was gonna do that. i hope he comes back. 47 is soft

Woodstock 07
07-29-2008, 16:50
Lone Wolf...Thanks for the info. 'tough, tough men'. You are so correct about those two. Good luck to Jennifer as well.

warren doyle
07-29-2008, 17:34
Jennifer called last Saturday (July 26 at 4:30pm). She is in Waynesboro/Rockfish Gap. Feeling good. She may attempt to do a sub-60 day thru-hike.
She started at 6:20am on Katahdin on June 20th.

A-Train
07-29-2008, 18:34
As long as you're talking record hikes, I'll add a couple more...

Tattoe Joe and Scott Williamson are together trying to break Joe's record of 79 days on the PCT. They are in northern California or Oregon from what I understand, starting at the Mexican border on June 8.

A quiet assassin, El Monstro (journal on TJ) started June 20th! from the Mexican border and has been averaging about 40 miles and is now past the half way point in a tad over a month! Supposedly he didn't set out to break a particular record.

Good luck to all 3 men. To make things clear NONE of them are using vehicle support, hiking 40 miles a day with packs, treading lightly

BigCat
07-29-2008, 18:52
Well done, Jennifer! I became a big fan after reading her journal entries while hiking the Bibbulmun Track in Western Australia this year. She smoked through 600 miles in 22 days or so.

Marta
07-29-2008, 20:36
Jennifer called last Saturday (July 26 at 4:30pm). She is in Waynesboro/Rockfish Gap. Feeling good. She may attempt to do a sub-60 day thru-hike.
She started at 6:20am on Katahdin on June 20th.

That is stunning! What an athlete!

Blissful
07-29-2008, 20:51
I saw Jennifer on the LT last year. She was running like crazy down these boulders. Pretty amazing.

Hoop Time
07-30-2008, 09:28
Anybody have contact info for Karl Meltzer? I'd like to arrange an interview when he is in the area to do a story on his effort.

I looked at his site and could not find any e-mail address on it.

Lone Wolf
07-30-2008, 09:31
be prepared to interview him late at night or early in the morning. that is if he agrees to one

Tin Man
07-30-2008, 09:44
Anybody have contact info for Karl Meltzer? I'd like to arrange an interview when he is in the area to do a story on his effort.

I looked at his site and could not find any e-mail address on it.

He has an accout here... Speedgoat Karl ... it looks like he has email enabled on his profile

Hoop Time
07-30-2008, 09:46
be prepared to interview him late at night or early in the morning. that is if he agrees to one

You mean he won't stop for a chat if Cookie Monster offers him some magic? *LMAO*

Lone Wolf
07-30-2008, 09:51
card tricks or what?

Pedaling Fool
07-30-2008, 10:09
FWIW, http://www.whereskarl.com/

fiddlehead
07-31-2008, 00:23
I don't know how many are aware but apparently Scott Williamson is attempting a PCT speed record this year (now). My friends were very pleasantly surprised that he stopped and talked to them for about 30 minutes when he passed them on the trail about a week ago.
Here is an exert from their blog: Scott Williamson. We met him on the trail in 1996. He is currently on his eleventh thru-hike of the PCT! He has yo-yoed the PCT, meaning that he has hiked from Mexico to Canada and back to Mexico in a single season. And this year he is on goal to break the speed hiking record on the PCT - less than 79 days (we took 153). All that and he is an amazingly nice and humble guy. Even though he is trying to set the record this year, he didn't hesitate to take a half-hour break with us. Very cool!

OregonHiker
07-31-2008, 01:07
I don't know how many are aware but apparently Scott Williamson is attempting a PCT speed record this year (now). My friends were very pleasantly surprised that he stopped and talked to them for about 30 minutes when he passed them on the trail about a week ago.
Here is an exert from their blog: Scott Williamson. We met him on the trail in 1996. He is currently on his eleventh thru-hike of the PCT! He has yo-yoed the PCT, meaning that he has hiked from Mexico to Canada and back to Mexico in a single season. And this year he is on goal to break the speed hiking record on the PCT - less than 79 days (we took 153). All that and he is an amazingly nice and humble guy. Even though he is trying to set the record this year, he didn't hesitate to take a half-hour break with us. Very cool!

go Scott go

warren doyle
08-09-2008, 11:32
Just saw Jennifer Pharr Davis at Spivey Gap (10:30am Sat. 8/9). Her and Brew are doing great! She plans to finish on Springer Sunday August 17th for a sub-60 day thru-hike (and a new women's AT endurance record).
She is a true Olympian and I feel that her and Brew are the human interest story of the AT Class of 2008.
Love, support, commitment, endurance, simplicity, non-commercial ......all good, all good.

Tin Man
08-10-2008, 11:10
Great news Warren. Thanks for keeping us updated. :)

warren doyle
08-10-2008, 16:19
Did some last-week strategy planning with Jen and Brew while sitting under the I-26 overpass around 2:30pm yesterdy. They really have their act together. Both impressive and inspiring. They make it look so easy - which it isn't by any means.
They should be in Hot Springs this evening (37.3 mpd average). Plan to finish next Saturday or Sunday for a sub-60 day thru-hike.
David Horton and I will be helping out, along with Jen's Dad, at various times during this last week.
It should be an interesting week for long distance trail endurance hiking fans (i.e. Karl in ME/NH and Jen in TN/NC/GA). Our own Olympics.

Marta
08-10-2008, 19:12
Wow! She is doing so well. Cheers to Jennifer and her team!

Blissful
08-10-2008, 22:36
Great news, thanks for the update, Warren. What a gal. Wish she could get a gold medal at the end.

warren doyle
08-11-2008, 08:02
I don't think any of the long distance trail endurance record holders are looking for a gold medal. They have done something that no one else has done before them - moving their minds, hearts and bodies the entire length of the Appalachian Trail in the shortest time up to that point. No one can take away that memory or fact.
Congratulations to all past and present AT endurance record holders:

Branley Owen
Warren Doyle
Jon Avery
Ward Leonard (unsupported)
David Horton
Peter Palmer
Andrew Thompson

and, probably very soon

Jennifer Pharr Davis (women)

A small fraternity/sorority that I respect and admire.

Tipi Walter
08-11-2008, 08:06
I don't think any of the long distance trail endurance record holders are looking for a gold medal. They have done something that no one else has done before them - moving their minds, hearts and bodies the entire length of the Appalachian Trail in the shortest time up to that point. No one can take away that memory or fact.
Congratulations to all past and present AT endurance record holders:

Branley Owen
Warren Doyle
Jon Avery
Ward Leonard (unsupported)
David Horton
Peter Palmer
Andrew Thompson

and, probably very soon

Jennifer Pharr Davis (women)

A small fraternity/sorority that I respect and admire.

Wow, I haven't seen the name Branley Owen in a long time. He was the ex-green beret who hiked the AT back in the 1970s and lived on loaves of bread and peanut butter, among other things. One time his boots gave out and he was going barefoot and he just so happened to run into some SF soldiers in the woods on training and one of them gave him a pair of his boots right off his feet.

Marta
08-14-2008, 06:55
Here's a nice article on Jennifer:

http://www.blueridgenow.com/article/20080813/NEWS/456322172/0/living

jersey joe
08-14-2008, 08:23
Congrats to Jennifer for breaking the women's record...a great accomplishment!

warren doyle
08-15-2008, 12:44
I'm sitting with David Horton in the Hiawassee Public Library.

Helping Jen's dad with support for a few days while Brew is starting teaching for the new school year.

Tuesday Start: Davenport Gap End: Buckeye Gap 46.4 miles
Wednesday End: Cheoah Bald 46.4 miles
Thursday End: Mooney Gap 46.7 miles
Friday (today) End: either Unicoi Gap 44.8 miles
or
Hog Pen Gap 58.4 miles

She plans to finish on Springer between 4-8pm tomorrow to set a new women's AT endurance standard of around 57.5 days.
Started on Katahdin on 6/20 at 6:20am.

All I can say is: She moves effortlessly through the mountains like gazelle.

Flush2wice
08-15-2008, 12:51
Congrats Jennifer!

Blissful
08-15-2008, 14:03
What great news!!! Congratulations, Jenn. Way to go, girl!!!

Blissful
08-15-2008, 14:07
Warren, If you see her, tell her to come back to Charlottesville and speak again at the Blue ridge Mtn Sports (she did it on the PCT). Love to hear about it and congratulate her. :)

trailangelmary
08-15-2008, 14:16
Congratulations Jennifer.

Marta
08-15-2008, 14:35
An amazing feat! Congratulations, Jennifer!

Roots
08-15-2008, 14:49
Way to go, Jennifer!!! AMAZING!!!:banana:sun

warren doyle
08-15-2008, 22:37
The gazelle called Jennifer Pharr Davis amazed David Horton and myself today. She went 64.8 miles from Mooney Gap to Neels Gap in 18 hours and 15 minutes (2:50am to 9:05pm). She has averaged 51.1 mpd the last four days (from Davenport Gap). No endurance record holder on the AT/LT has gone that far in one day before. It was a privilege to observe and to be part of.
I'll be sharing the sunrise on Blood Mt. with her and Brew tomorrow morning. She will probably finish mid-afternoon on Springer (under 57.5 days).
What a triumph!

Marta
08-16-2008, 06:59
Wow!!!!

warren doyle
08-17-2008, 07:01
Jennifer Pharr Davis finished her supported SOBO thru-hike at 3:03pm yesterday (Sat. 8/16) to set a new women's endurance record for the AT.

57 days 8 hours 38 minutes

On Springer to celebrate with her was her husband (and tremendous support crew person) Brew, her Dad (who competently drove support the last 5 days while Brew returned to work), David Horton (former AT/LT record holder and current PCT record holder, myself (former AT/LT record holder), Brew's mother and father, and Jen's photographer friend.

I feel privileged to have been a part of this Olympian-like accomplishment, especially the last four days when Jen's dad, David and I worked so well together in support of Jen.

Jen averaged 51.1 mpd her last four full days on the trail (Davenport Gap to Neels Gap). We met her eight times each of the last full two days and six times the last day into Springer. David was a great on-trail 'extra' motivator walking several sections of trail with Jen.

It was very memorable and I am still amazed on how 'easy' both Jen and Brew made it look. She averaged approximately 37.8 mpd with no blisters and her only 'injury' was a swollen ankle for a few days in Maine early on.

fiddlehead
08-17-2008, 08:17
That's Awesome!
Warren doesn't that beat your old record? (your best time)

sonic
08-17-2008, 10:41
Amazing! You go girl. :banana Now we all need to try to remember and reflect on why she did this in the first place.

Lone Wolf
08-17-2008, 11:00
Now we all need to try to remember and reflect on why she did this in the first place.

why did she do it?

Hikerhead
08-17-2008, 11:01
In memory of Meredith.

trailangelmary
08-17-2008, 11:08
Amazing! You go girl. :banana Now we all need to try to remember and reflect on why she did this in the first place.

In memory of Meredith.

Totally Awesome. That brought tears to my eyes. Congratulations to Jennifer and her support group. Well done.

Lone Wolf
08-17-2008, 11:12
In memory of Meredith.

oh. didn't realize that. very nice

Blissful
08-17-2008, 22:08
Way To Go!!!!!!!!!

Pepper Beard
08-18-2008, 00:26
A great feat by this woman indeed. Anyone who thru-hikes the Appalachian Trail regardless of race, sex, speed, supported, or unsupported or other factors gets a giant kudos for an amazing feat that few will ever do.

Congrats to anyone who has thru-hiked the AT.

Red Hat
08-18-2008, 07:05
Wow, I am amazed! After reading the article I found that I met her in 05 back at NOC.when she was Odyssa. I knew she was fast, but I never realized how fast!

jersey joe
08-18-2008, 08:45
Congrats to Jennifer on completing her thru hike! 37.8mpd is a healthy average.

skinny minnie
08-18-2008, 12:50
why did she do it?

Well, someone has already answered in memory of Meredith, which is absolutely true... but I seem to recall poking around the internet researching speed hikers before this January... and she was already mentioning a speed attempt. I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure I saw it mentioned. After Meredith was killed, she obviously decided to make it in her honor. Which is really wonderful. But I also think it's pretty clear Jennifer is ambitious and had plans for a speed attempt for a while, and it makes total sense given her goals for her future career. She wants to open a hiking related store, and publish a book. So that would also be an answer to the question why, right there. She is building her credentials. As well as the fact that it is something she excels at and evidently enjoys doing.

http://www.blueridgenow.com/article/20080813/NEWS/456322172

gravityman
08-18-2008, 13:04
Yes, she was planning it before Meredith. However, she was deeply effected by a suicide on the trail in 2005 at Sunrise Pavilion (she was the first one to come apon it) and I think that the Meredith incident really hit home to her given that previous experience of death on the trail.

It was done in the most sincere of ways!

Gravity (GAME 2005 who watch Odyessa zoom by in TN after a few minutes of talking with her)

skinny minnie
08-18-2008, 13:10
No, I definitely agree that it is sincere and admirable.

And that's crazy. I didn't know she had that experience in '05.

warren doyle
08-18-2008, 14:35
On Saturday morning (July 16th) at moonset/sunrise, on Jennifer's request, I sat in a prayer circle for Meredith atop Blood Mt along with Brew and David Horton.

It was sincere and admirable.

Instead, perhaps someone should ask Karl how many bags of trash he and his support crew have picked up.

Lone Wolf
08-18-2008, 14:38
Instead, perhaps someone should ask Karl how many bags of trash he and his support crew have picked up.

how many bags of trash did jenn and her crew pick up? and what does trash have to do with meredith?

warren doyle
08-18-2008, 14:53
how many bags of trash did jenn and her crew pick up? and what does trash have to do with meredith?

Jen didn't have trash collection as one of her goals of her hike.

Karl did. I was just wondering how that was going.

Lone Wolf
08-18-2008, 14:57
Jen didn't have trash collection as one of her goals of her hike.

Karl did. I was just wondering how that was going.

oh. didn't know that

wilconow
08-18-2008, 14:58
yep, it's actually straight from karl in the first page of his thread. this is what he said

Thanks for all the good words! I'll need lots of good vibes to hang in for at least 47 days. I am also coordinating an effort to "Clean the AT". With my support crew and the help of many who will provide mental support and crewing duties, we will attempt to pick up more garbage bags than days spent on the trail. Hopefully the number is low, but unfortunately after running on the AT in Pennsylvania two weeks ago, I could have picked up 25 bags at two trailheads. I thought that was a shame, so I thought it would be a good idea to pick it up. I may be from Utah, but we're all in this together, come join us and bring a garbage bag. Help us do more than just run/hike it! For more info on our "Clean the AT" project and the tracking devices I'll be using continue to check in at karlmeltzer.com these next 7 months!http://www.karlmeltzer.com

Marta
08-18-2008, 15:14
A couple of weeks ago Karl posted on here that the trash collection project was a no-go. I think that was part of the shift from the original idea of supporting the hike by having a big crew of volunteers to the more streamlined crew in the motor home that he actually ended up working with. Those folks are pretty well occupied.

warren doyle
08-18-2008, 16:02
Thanks Marta for your informative post following Lone Wolf's and Wilconow's posts.
You have answered my question.

Karl day #14 - If Karl goes 38.4 miles and ends at Rt. 11/30 outside Manchester, VT, he will be even with Andrew (but behind Andrew time-wise).

If Karl goes to Stratton/Arlington Rd. (53 miles), he will be 17.5 miles ahead of Andrew. I also will increase his chances of breaking the record (I'm waiting until Williamstown though).

weary
08-18-2008, 22:14
Picking up trash was never the goal of any of my hikes, but over the decades I've picked up and cleaned up hundreds of bags. Sometimes I burn the trash. Sometimes I carry it out. It all depends on the circumstances. I burned a lot of plastic on the AT and while canoeing the wild St. John in Maine.

But usually on a canoe trip, I just fill spare spaces in my canoe. On the trail I bury or carry out, depending on how far the nearest trash can may be. On our town land trust lands I always carry out. Most of the trash is left by ice fishermen on the pond the trail borders. Fishermen are the filthiest folks I know, though hunters are a close second. I love to fish and hunt. I do wish my fellow enthusiasts were not such slobs.

Weary

hoyawolf
08-18-2008, 22:41
i'd like to fast pack the maryland portion of the trail in a 24 hour period myself...

grizzlyadam
08-18-2008, 22:51
....a few notes/observations from my conversation with Karl this evening:

- The clean up the trail campaign is off. His crew will still be picking up litter in the places where he meets them as they wait for him to come through, but he says the ATC poo-pooed the idea of making cleaning up the trail a "cause" because they felt it would give people the impression the trail is dirty...

Hoop Time posted this in the other thread on August 3 after his conversation with Karl.

jersey joe
08-19-2008, 07:44
On Saturday morning (July 16th) at moonset/sunrise, on Jennifer's request, I sat in a prayer circle for Meredith atop Blood Mt along with Brew and David Horton.

It was sincere and admirable.

Does Jennifer(or someone from her crew) have a journal somewhere?

warren doyle
08-19-2008, 08:03
Hoop Time posted this in the other thread on August 3 after his conversation with Karl.

Thank you for this additional clarification. I appreciate it.

Does Jennifer(or someone from her crew) have a journal somewhere?

Wonderful blogs (Pharr out) at www.blueridgeoutdoors.com (http://www.blueridgeoutdoors.com)
If I was teaching the psychology/philosophy/logistics of long distance endurance hiking, I would have my students compare and contrast 'Pharr Out' with 'Where's Karl?'.

Pedaling Fool
08-19-2008, 10:52
Originally Posted by Hoop Time http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/wb_style/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=677059#post677059)
....a few notes/observations from my conversation with Karl this evening:

- The clean up the trail campaign is off. His crew will still be picking up litter in the places where he meets them as they wait for him to come through, but he says the ATC poo-pooed the idea of making cleaning up the trail a "cause" because they felt it would give people the impression the trail is dirty...

The AT has it's spots.

jesse
08-19-2008, 11:01
The AT has it's spots.

Trail angels?

jersey joe
08-19-2008, 11:04
Wonderful blogs (Pharr out) at www.blueridgeoutdoors.com (http://www.blueridgeoutdoors.com)
If I was teaching the psychology/philosophy/logistics of long distance endurance hiking, I would have my students compare and contrast 'Pharr Out' with 'Where's Karl?'.
Thanks for the link Warren.

If Karl returns to the AT for a second shot at the record some time in the future, he'll undoubtedly have some more of that fire/desire that you eluded to Thompson having as a result of past unsuccessful record breaking attempts.

warren doyle
08-19-2008, 12:26
Thanks for the link Warren.

If Karl returns to the AT for a second shot at the record some time in the future, he'll undoubtedly have some more of that fire/desire that you eluded to Thompson having as a result of past unsuccessful record breaking attempts.

You are welcome.

Yes, you are correct. Fire/desire is important but only when it is combined with one's actual knowledge of the trail/footway along with having a healthy relationship with it.

If you choose to fight/attack/assault the trail, the trail will win.

the goat
08-20-2008, 10:04
The AT has it's spots.

were those taken in TN?

Pedaling Fool
08-20-2008, 17:34
were those taken in TN?
Yeah, in vicinity of Roan Mountain, Tn and Elk Park, NC.

RBoone
08-20-2008, 18:01
Thank you for this additional clarification. I appreciate it.

Which is about the extent of your academic abilities.:banana

It's on par with you not "doing" refereed journals, which is a goofy way of saying that have have neither the intellectual abilities, methodological technques, nor creative thinking to do much more than walk "over 30,000 miles"! ;)

By the way, Gurney told me to tell you "hey."

nitewalker
01-13-2010, 09:44
ain't heard of none. serious attempts anyway. i wish a woman would go for a record. i know some very tough ultra ladies

not an AT record attempt but always interesting to see where this goes. new hampshire's 48 4000 footers in winter..

NH48 Winter Record Attempt 1/16/10 -
OK folks, here we go again http://www.viewsfromthetop.com/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif

Jason Ferris, Ryan Weltz (Farmer) and I are giving it a go starting Saturday 1/16.

9days 20hrs and 24 min is the current record by Tim Seaver and Cath Goodwin: (http://www.viewsfromthetop.com/forum...ad.php?t=11828 (http://www.viewsfromthetop.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11828))

If weather permits we start with a pressie traverse on Saturday 1/16. If that doesn't work we start with Isolation and then Wildcat-Moriah traverse. More than that we won't predict at this point. If we start at 6am on 1/16 we have until Tuesday morning 1/26 at 2:23am to break it if my mathematic works.

We have a ground crew helping with driving and food cooking so we are a bit spoiled that way http://www.viewsfromthetop.com/forums/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

Bascecamp will be in Randolph the first two days and then we move to a cottage in Twin Mountain for the remainder of the days.

There is wireless internet there so we plan to do som updates on VFTT as time goes by.

We will have a tracking device so you guys can see where we are occasionally.

http://www.instamapper.com/
username: matsroing
password: hiking

Now we'll have to wait and see what the weather and the mountains have in mind for us......http://www.viewsfromthetop.com/forums/images/smilies/rolleyes.gif