PDA

View Full Version : What do you mostly eat on the trail?

sakkit
01-25-2004, 14:39
Rice
Beans
Noodles
Other

2Ply
02-06-2004, 07:20
I try to mix up my dinners so it is not always a variation of the same thing. Instant potatoes , cooscoos(sp?), and other grains just to make things more interesting. :D

Kerosene
02-06-2004, 09:47
I picked Noodles, but I also try to mix things up, even though I'm only out for about a week at a time. Even so, Rice and Noodles probably dominate the dinner menu.

Jaybird
02-06-2004, 11:36
what do i eat most on the trail?

whatever Mama MountainHouse has in store for me in the goodie bag!

i voted for "other" because i, too, like to vary my food choice while i'm on the trail....no use eating Ramen noodles everynight....right Model-T?
hehehehehehehe! :p

see ya'll UP the trail!

jojo0425
02-06-2004, 11:54
Same here, all of the above...
Instant mashed potatoes
couscous
ramen
lipton rice
and backpacker meals

AND of course peanut butter and snickers bars

Crash
02-06-2004, 17:46
[QUOTE=sakkit
Other[/QUOTE]
POTATOES-VARIOUS FORMS OF MASHED
AND PASTA

DebW
02-06-2004, 17:52
I like my beans and rice together.

Moon Monster
02-06-2004, 19:39
Bread and peanut butter

hpowers
02-07-2004, 00:03
Bread and peanut butter

I think that is called a peanut butter sandwich w/o jelly.

weary
02-07-2004, 10:30
I like my beans and rice together.

My basic meal was a mixture of quick cooking brown rice and macaroni, flavored with salt, pepper, dried onions, a dash of basil, and a couple of bouillon cubes.

I assembled it at home in sandwich baggies and put a week's supply in a zip lock freezer bag. On the trail I added twice as much water as dry ingredients, brought it to a boil, and simmered for 5 or 6 minutes, and then let it sit another 4 or 5 minutes, to allow the liquid to be absorbed. I used quick cooking brown rice, because like the macaroni it cooked in 10 minutes.

For variety and added protein, I often added a can of tuna, chipped beef, cheese, powdered milk, peanuts, instant tomato soup, basically whatever struck my fancy.

Breakfasts were mostly quick cooking oatmeal (not instant) mixed with raisins, dried fruit of any kind, brown sugar, salt, and powdered milk. Again, the basic rule for dried stuff is one part dried to two parts liquid.

By watching the sales and buying generic and store brands, I found I could eat for about $3 a day, including postage. I planned to resupply every six days or so, unless the guides disclosed a post office or store within a mile of the trail, in which case, I would resupply more often.

About half my food was from mail drops. The rest came from trailside stores and pizza, steak and salad bars in towns.

Weary

screwysquirrel
02-08-2004, 01:27
I take a lot of noodles and rice but I also carry a small frying pan and whenever I'm near a town, I always get a loaf of white bread or French bread and grill me up some grilled cheese. As I also carry Velveeta and a squeeze bottle of butter. Can't beat it out on the trail.

hauptman
04-13-2005, 03:59
Whenever I get the chance to do a long distance hike, I try to pack only those foods which require no cooking. I resently did a 10 day stretch in northern pa. in feb. I found that the food though the same day in and day out served my needs and it saved me a ton of weight. I did not carry a stove, fuel, or any cooking supplies. Also, no bowls,plates, forks, etc... This made the hiking much easier and I managed 10-15 miles per. day in 8in. of snow. I attribute this entirely to the low wieght and not to my skill level(which is meager at best).
p.s., no hot drinks/took a little getting used to, but my clothing kept me warm(thank you polypro)!!!

Teatime
04-13-2005, 04:25
My wife is Korean and while I was stationed in the USAF in South Korea, she introduced me to REAL ramen, not the wimpy stuff you get at the local supermarket. Korean brands of ramen can be very spicy and flavourful, with good noodles. My favorite brand is Sutah Ramen. It is pretty spicy. Find a local Korean or Asian market and you will probably find some good Ramen.
Other than Ramen, I've tried the Lipton/Knorr rice and pasta meals. I also ususally carry some Mountain House meals. I really like the Spaghetti.