PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of Starting May 1st

mts4602
03-26-2008, 13:18
I'm hoping to graduate on time next spring of 2009. The problem is I wouldn't be able to start the trail until probably the first of May due to classes.

I Want to be with the big group of people that head towards Maine. If I start in May will I still be with a lot of people or will I be left in the wake everyone already passing through?

There is the potential that I might not graduate until December of 2009 b/c I am slightly behind on credits...if thats the case it would allow me to work and build up money and start probably end of March/Beginning of April.

I want to gradute on time b/c I'm sick of school but it might work out to my advantage to stay another semester??:-?

MTS

Appalachian Tater
03-26-2008, 14:38
You should decide what is best for your education and plan your hike around that. It is normal to start getting anxious and ready to graduate when the end is in sight. Whatever you do, get your diploma and make sure your grades are as good as they can be in case you go to graduate school.

You can always start where the bulk of thru-hikers are and then flip flop. Baltimore Jack is probably the most knowledgeable person as to where the lumps and tails of the thru-hiker location distribution curve are at any given time.

And don't underestimate the importance of having enough money to complete a hike. Many a hike has ended not because of running out of time or mental or physical issues but the lack of cash.

A-Train
03-26-2008, 16:13
You should be able to catch up to the pack after a couple weeks if you move fairly swiftly and stay consistent. If you skip Traildays, you'll gain serious time on the pack, who will mostly take between 3-7 days off.

A lot of people leave in April still and many of these folks aren't exactly flying up the trail. Also there should be people in your boat (i.e. students) who can't leave until May. It's the AT, you won't be alone much, if at all.

wilconow
03-26-2008, 16:53
I did a section just north of the Smokies the first week of June and saw a decent amount of college students and just plain late starters. It seems like a good mix of avoiding the masses but not being on your own either.

Yahtzee
03-26-2008, 16:54
You will most likely catch up to the middle of the crowd by mid-Virginia. I started May 9. Had plenty of company. Passed many. You will have no problems.

Back-of-the-packers also have more fun. And if, by chance, you are not into fun, you will pass the middle of pack rather quickly. May 1st is more than reasonable. No worries.

mts4602
03-26-2008, 18:52
Sounds good to me. And don't worry, it's not a matter of me finishing college or not..I'm going to finish, most likely on time and with good grades. I'm just trying to see what my situation might be like with the AT depending on when I finish school.

mrc237
03-26-2008, 20:09
Go south Youngman!!!

Lone Wolf
03-26-2008, 20:17
Go south Youngman!!!

that's rite pops !

Panzer1
03-26-2008, 20:26
What is your major?

Panzer

Philippe
03-26-2008, 20:29
I'm sort of in the same boat you are. My sweet 65 year old wife is receiving her B.A. at U. Maine Orono on May 10th. I wouldn't miss it for the world, so I will probably start about May 14th or 15th. Keep your eye out for a fat, bald, old man puffing up the trail. I've been thinking that there will probably be plenty of people on the trail. We may not see too many during the day, but they'll be at the shelters evenings. I'm hoping for a cool summer in the South though, I'm afraid it's going to be HOT. Good luck with your hike, congratulations on finishing your degree and be sure to say hi if you see me.

Philippe
03-26-2008, 20:31
Oops, he's going in 09 not 08. Oh well all the best anyway.

Blissful
03-26-2008, 21:49
Take your time with school so you get the degree you've worked hard to achieve, the AT will be there.

bigben
03-27-2008, 14:14
I do a section every year around the 2nd week of May and I've yet to be EITHER lonely OR crowded. Or snowed on. Or had to slather on the DEET. Or out of water.

May's a great time to hike the AT!

Bigben

CocamoJoe
03-28-2008, 03:06
I started May 9 last year, and, for me, the Trail was "just right". There were two others camped atop Springer with me, excluding Many Sleeps, the caretaker. The next day, I met two other thru-hikers (well, Sagbutt and Lucas, the latter of whom I'm not sure went the whole way). Within 20 or so days, I caught up with a pretty sizeable group of people who were mainly hiking together (Scott, Griz, 3-Day, Lonthier, High Life, McCray, Dandelion, and Mr. Burns; Griz and Lonthier got off, I know; Dandelion had to stop in Damascus, and was going to do a flip-flop of sorts, last I heard).
From reading in the registers, I can tell you that had I not gotten a stress-fracture which forced me to quit, I would've caught up with a lot more hikers within the next week or so.