PDA

View Full Version : Fontana Dam close date - after 31st

Puppy
03-26-2008, 14:12
I am at Fontana Village - a man that works here told me that the Fontana Dam is open for foot traffic until MARCH 31. Then it will be closed for a while.

This is just what I was told from the staff here, so I thought I would pass it on.

dixicritter
03-26-2008, 14:40
Thank you for the update. :)

Midway Sam
03-26-2008, 15:00
I am at Fontana Village - a man that works here told me that the Fontana Dam is open for foot traffic until MARCH 31. Then it will be closed for a while.

This is just what I was told from the staff here, so I thought I would pass it on.

Morning or evening? :D

I am camping at Mollies Ridge on the evening of the 30th and heading to the Fontana Hilton for the evening of the 31st. I sure would like to walk across the dam.

buff_jeff
03-26-2008, 16:56
How long is a little while. I'm heading to Harpers Ferry from Spring around May 10. Do you think I'll be able to cross? If not, where can you cross at?

buff_jeff
03-26-2008, 16:57
Springer*, my fault.

warren doyle
03-26-2008, 17:00
Fontana Dam is a great night hike, especially between midnight and 5am.

dixicritter
03-26-2008, 17:02
How long is a little while. I'm heading to Harpers Ferry from Spring around May 10. Do you think I'll be able to cross? If not, where can you cross at?

There will be a blue blaze route marked if the dam is closed to foot traffic.

buff_jeff
03-26-2008, 17:04
There will be a blue blaze route marked if the dam is closed to foot traffic.

Thanks. I really hope I get to cross it. It looks pretty neat, but whatever.

Puppy
03-26-2008, 17:04
They were talking about a re-route, but I do not know the exact route.

dixicritter
03-26-2008, 17:07

If you are willing to risk a federal citation go right ahead Warren, but I know you aren't telling anyone else on this site to do anything illegal as that would be against the terms of service... right? :)

warren doyle
03-26-2008, 17:19
If you are willing to risk a federal citation go right ahead Warren, but I know you aren't telling anyone else on this site to do anything illegal as that would be against the terms of service... right? :)

Whatever you say. You're the boss.

Jack Tarlin
03-26-2008, 17:24
Right She's the boss. And has been for awhile. And since you now acknowledge this, then this'll be the last time you come here and encourage people to break the law, right? :rolleyes:

Til the next time, anyway.

Note to Puppy: Thanx for the update on the dam.

warren doyle
03-26-2008, 17:46
[quote=Jack Tarlin;576773]Right She's the boss. And has been for awhile. And since you now acknowledge this, then this'll be the last time you come here and encourage people to break the law, right? :rolleyes:

And you are the boss too!

Until next time.....

Jack Tarlin
03-26-2008, 17:51
Nope. Springsteen is The Boss. But Dix sure in hell is the boss here, and it's wonderful to see Warren finally acknowledge this.

Lone Wolf
03-26-2008, 18:38

nowhere in this statement is he encouraging anyone to break the law, jack

warren doyle
03-26-2008, 18:46

You are correct in your analysis of my post Lone Wolf
Once again, it's that reading comprehension thing that has been going on now for 6-7 years.
I guess it is true that "we see with only what we possess."

GGS2
03-26-2008, 19:46

You are correct in your analysis of my post Lone Wolf
Once again, it's that reading comprehension thing that has been going on now for 6-7 years.
I guess it is true that "we see with only what we possess."

It is what we commonly call a hint. Sometimes courts of law have been known to take hints the way they were intended. Lawyers tend to read English that way some times. If it wasn't a hint, Warren, what was it? A nature observation?

smokymtnsteve
03-26-2008, 19:48
simply a statement...

warren doyle
03-26-2008, 19:59
I have walked several times across the dam at night - either at the end of a long day hike from Clingman's Dome or even Newfound Gap (the latter in my younger days) or at 3am in the morning when I day hike from Fontana Dam up to Clingman's Dome.

The column of lights on either side of the road on the dam make me cast interesting shadows as I walk (NOBO) or hobble (SOBO) by them. There is no other thing like it on the entire trail.

Lone Wolf
It is what we commonly call a hint. Sometimes courts of law have been known to take hints the way they were intended. Lawyers tend to read English that way some times. If it wasn't a hint, Warren, what was it? A nature observation?

you take **** way too serious, kid. have a beer :rolleyes:

thestin
Description of the blue-blazed detour from the ATC website

During the closure periods, hikers must use the 2.5 mile blue-blazed dam bypass trail (mostly on paved or dirt roads) that crosses the Little Tennessee River downstream on the NC Rt. 28 bridge. Starting at the south end, blue-blazed trail begins at the lower end of the TVA police office on the left hand side before the visitor center. Follow the trail down a concrete paddock and onto an old roadbed, then turn right to follow blue blazes to Fontana Village campground. From the campground, follow the access road to NC Rt. 28 and make a right to cross the river on the highway bridge. After crossing the bridge, make the first right onto Dam Powerhouse Road and follow the road until a yellow gate is seen on the left. Turn left and follow the gravel road to a parking area overlooking the west side of the dam. Proceed towards dam, then make a left on park road to rejoin A.T. route northbound. Follow posted signs; those trespassing on the dam will receive a federal citation.

Lone Wolf
03-26-2008, 20:02
I have walked several times across the dam at night - either at the end of a long day hike from Clingman's Dome or even Newfound Gap (the latter in my younger days) or at 3am in the morning when I day hike from Fontana Dam up to Clingman's Dome.

The column of lights on either side of the road on the dam make me cast interesting shadows as I walk (NOBO) or hobble (SOBO) by them. There is no other thing like it on the entire trail.

i walked across the dam one nite entering the smoky's. it was around 10 pm. full moon. april. i talked 4 others into doing a nite hike. we walked about 6 miles and cowboy camped right on the trail. fun stuff

warren doyle
03-26-2008, 20:04
"those trespassing on the dam will receive a federal citation."

How can you be so sure of this?
Is the TVA going to have someone guarding the dam 24/7?

dixicritter
03-26-2008, 20:06
Don't start that again.

thestin
03-26-2008, 20:17
Warren, I was just passing on what the ATC had posted on their website. It is not my intent to start an argument or a flame war.

My interpretation of what ATC posted is that if someone is caught on the dam while it is closed will be cited for trespassing. A federal citation means that you have to go to federal court. It would probably be less time and trouble just to take the detour.

As always, just my opinion.

Lone Wolf
03-26-2008, 20:23
8 years ago, local and county LEOs tried to do a late nite dog sniffing of hikers at The Hilton. which is on U.S. GOVERNMENT property. no TVA police or FEDERAL officials were present. the TVA officials ain't on the ball. wouldn't worry about walking the dam

as always, just my opinion

Max Power
03-26-2008, 20:25
I would be "a man who works here" from first post. The reroute map is in all the shuttle vehicles at Fontana, as well as on the message board on the back wall of the visitor center where you place your permit.

Here's a question... for strict white blazers
Wouldn't the new blue blaze be recognized as the official A.T.? If so would that mean those who cross the dam are skipping a section of the official A.T. therefore not completing the entire trail?

thestin
03-26-2008, 20:26
My intent was just to help pass along some info about the dam that the original poster asked about.

Why all the hostility?

Lone Wolf
03-26-2008, 20:27
My intent was just to help pass along some info about the dam that the original poster asked about.

Why all the hostility?

shoulda put it in STRAIGHT FORWARD :)

Lone Wolf
03-26-2008, 20:28
I would be "a man who works here" from first post. The reroute map is in all the shuttle vehicles at Fontana, as well as on the message board on the back wall of the visitor center where you place your permit.

Wouldn't the new blue blaze be recognized as the official A.T.? If so would that mean those who cross the dam are skipping a section of the official A.T. therefore not completing the entire trail?

most folks really don't give a **** :D

dixicritter
03-26-2008, 20:30

Why all the hostility?

It isn't you thestin. It is a history between the other posters. Don't worry about it you did a good thing. Thank you for posting that information.

Yahtzee
03-26-2008, 20:31

You are a wise Jedi.

Max Power
03-26-2008, 20:53
most folks really don't give a **** :D

I am one of those who does not give a $#!t. Hike for fun not for blazes! However, I disagree with you. For the last three seasons I have shuttled countless hikers and most do not want to skip a blaze. If I pick them up at the Marina they asked to be dropped off at the marina, not the shelter.
On the other hand the Dam is pretty early in the hike so maybe by Virginia they don't care. That would make since. They loosened up by then.

It's more of an irony really. I could see purist trying to hike the Dam for the white blaze experience, but they're really cheating and they don't even know it.

GGS2
03-26-2008, 23:04
you take **** way too serious, kid. have a beer :rolleyes:

Thanks, I don't drink much any more. I do remember getting really blotto on frozen vodka once. It was at a completion party for a project I was project engineer for. The whole universe spun all night, but I was stable. Just felt really weird having everything else move like that. Several times I had to push the earth back to horizontal. All the other boys were quite concerned, I think.

Midway Sam
03-27-2008, 08:48
The word is that they plan on closing the dam to foot traffic at Noon on Monday the 31st.

Digger'02
03-27-2008, 11:17
The blue blaze is actually not bad, its longer yes, but you get to see this pretty impressive half tunnell and the dam from some nice angles. It is another PUD (minus the P) but it beats a citation, or worse- they did close the dam for a reason.

DesertMTB
03-27-2008, 12:26

Not just that. They are closing it to foot traffic because of the danger associated with the work they are doing. Is Warren willing to advocate hikers place themselves in danger?

My brother and I walked across it last week. There are maps for the blue blaze at the dam visitor's center and on the Smokies side.

DesertMTB
03-27-2008, 12:28
"those trespassing on the dam will receive a federal citation."

How can you be so sure of this?
Is the TVA going to have someone guarding the dam 24/7?

The TVA police station is on the dam

Lone Wolf
03-27-2008, 12:33
The TVA police station is on the dam

it's a quarter mile or so from the dam

warren doyle
03-27-2008, 12:54
But maybe they are relocating the TVA police station to stop those subversive hikers from walking across the dam?

Danger, what danger?

Just another message from the Bureau of Homeland Insecurity.

DesertMTB
03-27-2008, 13:14
But maybe they are relocating the TVA police station to stop those subversive hikers from walking across the dam?

Danger, what danger?

Just another message from the Bureau of Homeland Insecurity.

The dam is not settling properly. In order to fix it they use heavy machinery. If you think it is safe. Take a hike across the dam and let us know.

DesertMTB
03-27-2008, 13:15
it's a quarter mile or so from the dam

My bad. I was considering the visitors center as part of the dam.

Bare Bear
03-27-2008, 13:51
I can't believe I agree with LW.................but the have a beer idea is always a good one.

Blissful
03-27-2008, 14:04
Wouldn't the new blue blaze be recognized as the official A.T.?

Yes of course. Same as if the trail is rerouted because of fire (ask the PCT hikers from previous years).

Lion King
03-27-2008, 14:57
It was closed a few years ago for a while and there was a blue blaze (Which I normally would have done with a smile) but as I approached the dam, two rangers, a TVA dude and some workers were by the bathrooms.

I asked, "Hey man, can I walk across this thing or do I have to do the lake reroute?"

They told me it was cool to walk across as there was no work being done at that moment.

Sometimes if you just ask, they wont care and if there isnt work or whatever going on they will let you go.

and night hiking that thing and up the stack is AWESOME, especially if youre...:D:D:D

GGS2
03-27-2008, 15:51
My pompous response was made in mind of the possibility of there being work in progress on the dam road. While most prohibitions against traversing a work site are driven by liability issues, there are cases where there are hazards which may not be apparent to people unfamiliar with them. Considering the general numbness of many of the hikers that get mentioned here, I think it might not be wise to encourage them to tempt Darwin.

Of course engineers would just slap on a white hat, jump out of a dirty pickup and saunter across the worksite. Half way across, they would tell one of the laborers to fetch the backpack from the truck and carry it over to the other side. The only trouble is that the white hat outfit must include khaki slacks, a sport style button shirt and a khaki vest with lots of pockets, mostly empty. There may be a few pencils and pens in the breast pocket, and some electronic gadget in one of the bigger ones. The boots must be low cut, heavy lugged, full leather work shoes, slightly muddied but clean. It is best if the hard hat has a logo from an environmental consulting firm, lest you be mistaken for a foreman and expected to do some work.

CaseyB
03-27-2008, 16:57
The dam is not settling properly. In order to fix it they use heavy machinery. If you think it is safe. Take a hike across the dam and let us know.

Not settling properly? Dam (bad pun intended), isn't that thing 60-some years old?

Max Power
03-27-2008, 18:14
Not settling properly? Dam (bad pun intended), isn't that thing 60-some years old?

It is 65 years old, but with concrete there are lots of issues. The concrete didn't complete dry, believe it or not, until a year or two ago. Now the issue is expanding, causing support beams to be pulled apart, shooting upwards nearly puncturing the upper surface of the dam.