PDA

View Full Version : Marmot Precip jacket VS REI ultralight jacket

joel137
03-26-2008, 17:09
I plan on buying one or the other (REI dividend to spend), and would like to hear opinions from folks who have had experience with either rain jacket.

Thanks

Appalachian Tater
03-26-2008, 17:12
The Marmot Precip is a good jacket that you can frequently find on sale. It has plenty of venting, including in the underarm, which is very important to me. The hood is not perfect and I find I still need a baseball cap under it when it rains to keep the water off my eyeglasses.

envirodiver
03-26-2008, 17:28
The REI ultralight jacket is not as lightweight as in the past. Improvements have been made to zippers. The REI switchback UL jacket is the lightestweight member of the REI stable now.

Marmot makes very good raingear. I wear a Phoenix, which is very similar to the Precip that is a couple of inches longer and has an inside pocket. The Precip is barebones with no bells and whistles, weighs less than 1 lb.

Summit
03-26-2008, 19:03
I tried both of these jackets on in REI before I bought my Precip from basegear.com, saving $35. I just don't like the look and cut of the REI brand one. They are both probably equally good at what they are designed for, but the Marmot Precip just fits and looks much nicer. The only plus I think of going for the REI Ultralight is its hood unzips (removable) whereas the Precip's does not. I wish the Precip had that feature.

Tobit
03-26-2008, 19:57
REI doesn't make this jacket, or much of any clothing, in my size so I went with the Precip.

joel137
03-26-2008, 21:01
There are several reviews that have remarked on the precip jacket losing its water proof qualities quickly. This worries me a bit; however I have the precip pants, which have served me well.

(they like any "breathable waterproof" wear can get a clammy feeling and condensation on the inside when backpacking for long periods of time)

The REI switchback looks interesting, but REI's site is not listing the weight. the REI Ultralight is listed at 16oz and the precip at 13oz.

Decisions decisions????

What experience have you or others had with the the Marmot jacket and it retaining of its waterproof qualities??

Thanks

envirodiver
03-27-2008, 02:17
REI Switchback UL size large = 13 oz.

joel137
03-27-2008, 14:28
Should I consider the Marmot Oracle instead? It is a little heavier. 4 oz heavier than the precip.

envirodiver
03-27-2008, 14:36
Oracle is a very nice jacket. It has the Precip Plus laminate in it. That Precip Plus laminate is supposed to breath better than the Precip. The Oracle is more expensive also, has some inner pockets, etc.

For backpacking the Precip is a fine jacket. I don't know anything about losing waterproof qualities. Often when the DWR on the outside nylon wears off the nylon on the exterior will "wet out". Then the wet nylon lies on top of the laminate and prevents moisture vapor from the body from escaping (breathing). The result is that the condensation makes you feel wet and clammy and folks think their jacket is leaking. You can buy products that you put in the washing machine with the jacket and it restores the DWR on the exterior nylon. A product called TX Direct made by Nikwax is a good one for this.

Creek Dancer
03-27-2008, 14:39
Can anyone recommend a waterproofing spray? I washed my Precip in the washing machine to get the funk out and I think I ruined the waterproofness (is that a word?).

I found that it helps to wear a layer between you and the precip fabric to prevent the clammy feeling. In other words, a tank top or short sleeve shirt won't provide enough barrier. At least it doesn't for me.

Edit: thanks envirodiver. That's the information I needed!

Summit
03-27-2008, 14:50
I haven't tried it myself, but someone else here at WB recommended this:

http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=84552444189 3733&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302698657&bmUID=1206643684854

A long sleeve synthetic (not cotton) t-shirt works well with a waterproof shell.

envirodiver
03-27-2008, 14:51
When you wash these waterproof breathable laminates it's important to use the right products. A tech wash is good, woolite works, But, don't use your regular detergent and NEVER EVER use fabric softeners with these laminates or your toher breathable fabrics like fleece etc., but especially the laminates.

The fabric softeners get into the pores that make the jacket laminate breathable and clog them, messing the breathability up.

Creek Dancer
03-27-2008, 14:56
Dang, I used Tide, but no fabric softener. Do you think the TX Direct made by Nikwax will fix the jacket? I am getting ready for a week on the AT and I don't want to find out when it's too late that my jacket is "broken". :mad::(

take-a-knee
03-27-2008, 15:28
Dang, I used Tide, but no fabric softener. Do you think the TX Direct made by Nikwax will fix the jacket? I am getting ready for a week on the AT and I don't want to find out when it's too late that my jacket is "broken". :mad::(

Maybe... from what I've read most laundry detergents contain surfactants, chemicals that make water "wetter" by reducing a water molecule's innate polarity. This causes better penetration and lifting of soil and dirt, it also reduces the pressure needed to push water through a WP/breathable membrane. So, give your jacket a couple of good warm rinses (and rinse the washer, and I'd find a front loader if you don't own one) and wash it with Ivory or sportwash and maybe you'll be fine.

envirodiver
03-27-2008, 15:31
TX Direct will likely fix the jacket. You can rewash it with Tech wash but the Tide probably did not hurt it. It would be a good idea to rewash it though.

I always throw some nylon stuff sacks etc. in the washer with the TX Direct and get some DWR on them. Check the jacket after you treat and dry it (in the dryer on low), by flipping some water on it and see if it beads up.

Creek Dancer
03-27-2008, 15:39
Thank you so much!!!!! :D

greentick
03-27-2008, 17:49
I like my precip and will probably buy another when it craps out. I like the weight, fit and especially the venting options. I dont wear it for rain in warmer weather >60* but always carry it. Cooler than that will still gather moisture on the inside but will help keep you warm. In colder weather I wear it and a silkwt wool top. If I am moving I can stay warm in 15* with 20-30mph winds. I cool down real fast when stopped tho. The most recent pics in my gallery (as well as others) show this set up.

This last fall (I've had it for a few years now) I noticed that the shoulders were not beading up (where the pack straps run). I did a DWR wash load using a large bucket and did all my stuff. I don't know if the precip is "good as new" but it certainly beads up well again on the spots that didn't.

joel137
03-29-2008, 00:06
DWR means what?

Tinker
03-29-2008, 00:38
Durable Water Repellant.

It's a temporary treatment on the outside of the fabric which causes water to bead and roll off, rather than spreading out, or "sheeting", plugging the pores in the breathable inside laminate or coating.

It is durable, but not indestructable.

My Precip jackets are good for about 2-3 seasons of hard wear. I sweat a lot, and the acids and oils in sweat cause peeling of the coating where it touches the back of my neck. I'm on my third Precip, and the coating is just showing signs of peeling.

Summit
03-29-2008, 07:43
My Precip jackets are good for about 2-3 seasons of hard wear. I sweat a lot, and the acids and oils in sweat cause peeling of the coating where it touches the back of my neck. I'm on my third Precip, and the coating is just showing signs of peeling.I believe that new to the 2008 models they added a fleece strip around the collar designed to deal with that issue. Is your current one's collar lined?

Deadeye
03-29-2008, 07:51
I read all sorts of wonderful things about the Marmot precip, so I bought one. IMHO, not worth the money. In my experience, waterproof/breathable fabrics are neither.

greentick
03-30-2008, 11:59
I read all sorts of wonderful things about the Marmot precip, so I bought one. IMHO, not worth the money. In my experience, waterproof/breathable fabrics are neither.

Thats where the ventilation comes in. The only time I have had mine breath well buttoned up is in very windy sub-freezing temps. The precip has big pit zips and the front pockets are made of coarse mesh so the large pocket zips vent. When I use it as a warmth layer, I have no prob stopping a few times in the morning/evening tweaking my layers in order to stay dry depending on which side of the ridge/sunlight/wind etc. The main draws of the precip in my opinion is weight, price, availability of "last years model" on clearance, ventilation and of course a wide array of fashionable colors;).

Summit
03-30-2008, 13:38
My Precip is first and foremost, the outer layer of my "warmth system." With a couple of layers of fleece inside the nearly airtight jacket, that combo provides as much warmth as any $3,4,5 hundred dollar all-in-one mountain parka.

Regarding strenuous hiking in the rain, you are going to have difficulty with sweating vs. keeping the rain out with the Precip or any other garment. There have been no technology breakthroughs to fend off rain without sealing in perspiration. That is why as some have said in this and other threads, unless it's a chilly rain, don't expect the Precip or any other waterproof jacket to keep you both warm and dry. In order to seal out the rain, it must seal in the perspiration. The claim of "breathable" by the Precip and other similar garment manufacturers is an unfortunate less than realistic description. The best way to achieve breathability is to have AND USE venting zippers properly, such as the Marmot Precip's underarm and pocket ones, being careful with the pocket ones not to create a hole for the rain to get in.

Be realistic! In an all day pouring down rain hike, if you can keep warm, you've won the battle. If you can stay somewhat dry or maybe just a little sweaty, you've more than won the battle. Don't expect to stay perfectly dry . . . it ain't gonna happen. ;)

Tinker
03-30-2008, 14:53
I'm beginning to think that WP/B doesn't mean Waterproof/Breathable as it does
Waterproof/Bull.

Ventilation is key in all rainwear.

take-a-knee
03-30-2008, 20:57
I'm beginning to think that WP/B doesn't mean Waterproof/Breathable as it does
Waterproof/Bull.

Ventilation is key in all rainwear.

All you WP/Breathable bashers, go to a safety supply and buy one of those yellow rubber slickers and hump a heavy pack up a mountain wearing that and get back with us on how that compares to Precip or Goretex. I'm old enough and have walked a lot of wilderness miles in the days before W.L. Gore's breakthrough. I'll never forget talking to a guy north of Tray Mountain in 1976 on a cold December day about this new miracle fabric that allowed moisture vapor to pass through but not rain. I've spent enough days being rained on pre and post Goretex to KNOW that it works.

Summit
03-30-2008, 21:51
All you WP/Breathable bashers, go to a safety supply and buy one of those yellow rubber slickers and hump a heavy pack up a mountain wearing that and get back with us on how that compares to Precip or Goretex. I'm old enough and have walked a lot of wilderness miles in the days before W.L. Gore's breakthrough. I'll never forget talking to a guy north of Tray Mountain in 1976 on a cold December day about this new miracle fabric that allowed moisture vapor to pass through but not rain. I've spent enough days being rained on pre and post Goretex to KNOW that it works.Ah . . . a non-sweater no doubt! :p :D

take-a-knee
03-30-2008, 22:04
Ah . . . a non-sweater no doubt! :p :D

Maybe I don't sweat as bad as some, I can sleep directly on top of a CCF pad in my hammock without back sweats, some wake up in a puddle when they try that.

greentick
03-31-2008, 13:06
Maybe I don't sweat as bad as some, I can sleep directly on top of a CCF pad in my hammock without back sweats, some wake up in a puddle when they try that.

Ironman, it's not that you dont sweat, you are just cooler than most:D

take-a-knee
03-31-2008, 15:16
Ironman, it's not that you dont sweat, you are just cooler than most:D

VERY FUNNY WILDMAN!