PDA

View Full Version : Audio diaries for AT hikers...

DSM5K
03-26-2008, 17:23
I just wanted to give you all a quick update on TrailPhone.net, the site (and phone system) I built last year, that lets AT hikers record audio journals over the telephone.

A few '08 thruhikers let me know things on the site weren't exactly working right. I just spent the last few days fixing a few bugs in the system, so it should all be working okay now. If any of you use the site, and run into any more problems, let me know... I'll try to fix them ASAP.

PS - I've attached a screenshot of the site, so you can get a good idea of how it works... or you can simple vist it at http://trailphone.net

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=3663&stc=1&d=1206566587

Shiraz-mataz
03-27-2008, 06:31
Holy cow! That's awesome! As a friend and I were doing a couple of sections last year we concocted something similar that we dubbed the Trail Information Transmitting System (you figure out the acronym...). Where ours was just a mental exercise, it looks like you've made one piece of the puzzle already. Question - how do you capture the GPS coordinates of the caller?

budforester
03-27-2008, 07:38
Wow, I like that!

Long Island Ice Tea
03-27-2008, 08:24
Very nice. Many hikers have thought of this concept, nice to see someone put a wrapper on it...

DSM5K
03-27-2008, 09:02
Holy cow! That's awesome! As a friend and I were doing a couple of sections last year we concocted something similar that we dubbed the Trail Information Transmitting System (you figure out the acronym...).Where ours was just a mental exercise, it looks like you've made one piece of the puzzle already.

Thats a great acronym. A much better name than TrailPhone.net :rolleyes:

Question - how do you capture the GPS coordinates of the caller?

When you call, you a prompted to enter your mile mark location. For example, if you're at Katahdin, you just punch 2 1 7 5 into the phone's keypad before recording your audio diary entry.

- Adam

Shiraz-mataz
03-27-2008, 09:25
...When you call, you a prompted to enter your mile mark location. For example, if you're at Katahdin, you just punch 2 1 7 5 into the phone's keypad before recording your audio diary entry.

- Adam

Clever... I love simplicity - long as you know what mile marker you're at. I thought it somehow captured the lat/long from GPS enabled cell phones.

DSM5K
03-27-2008, 11:06
Clever... I love simplicity - long as you know what mile marker you're at. I thought it somehow captured the lat/long from GPS enabled cell phones.

Yeah, this way you can even use the TrailPhone.net service from payphones when you're in town. And its a toll free number.