PDA

View Full Version : Hot Springs to Erwin

Bruce Hudson
03-26-2008, 18:18
It's spring break for teachers in NC next week, and I'm planning to hike from just outside Hot Springs back to Erwin during the first part of the break-- Johnny will shuttle me to Hot Springs and I'll hike back.

I assume water's no longer a problem, but I'm looking for advise as to how to prepare for the weather.

Anybody free that week and wants to come along, I'm 65 and into my second year of hiking so I'm not trying to set any speed records.

Bruce Hudson
[email protected]
Raleigh, NC

bigcranky
03-26-2008, 18:46
We did that section last year at this time (actually Sam's Gap southbound to Davenport Gap, but much the same section.)

Weather: it'll range from very nice during the day to potentially cold at night, with some cold rain thrown in for good measure. Bring the usual layers, and make sure you have something dry to put on in camp.

Are you starting from Allen Gap? That whole stretch is a good one -- enjoy!

Bruce Hudson
03-26-2008, 21:05
Actually I'm leaving from where the trial crosses NC 208. I planned to hike a longer section over T-day vactaion, but family committments kept if from being more than the first 15 miles out of Hot Springs. So hiking the 45 back to Erwin will give me from Hot Springs to Atkins where the AT crossess I-81 in my first year backpacking. Now big deal, but I'm happy with it as a newbie.

Bruce Hudson

chili36
03-26-2008, 21:30
Here in the Valley, we have daytime temps in the 60's and 70's for the most part. Above 4500' we have some ice.

Given that section and the unpredicatable weather (it was 70 in Townsend Saturday, snowed Monday), I think gear good to about 20 is a good bet.

Flush2wice
03-26-2008, 22:47
This is the most accurate weather site for that section. http://wolflaurelweather.com/Forecast/Wolf+Laurel

Erin
03-26-2008, 23:24
A nice section. That ridge line north of Jerry Cabin Shelter is a beautiful and a tough bit for middle age sectioners from the flat lands. We loved it and it was the most challenging part of the hike. There was one blaze on rock that was hand over hand, probably eight feet high, We laughed and did it, knowing it was raining or ice, we would have been screwed. There were clearly marked, bail out on bad weather alternates. The thrus told us this day would be hard because of this ridge line. Was this a new part? We are curious.

Tennessee Viking
03-26-2008, 23:31
It's spring break for teachers in NC next week, and I'm planning to hike from just outside Hot Springs back to Erwin during the first part of the break-- Johnny will shuttle me to Hot Springs and I'll hike back.

I assume water's no longer a problem, but I'm looking for advise as to how to prepare for the weather.

Anybody free that week and wants to come along, I'm 65 and into my second year of hiking so I'm not trying to set any speed records.

Bruce Hudson
[email protected]
Raleigh, NC

We just had a small spring snow fall, but melted away within a day. You might encounter some sudden temp changes on Camp Creek, ColdSpring, and Big Bald. But mainly as we are going into spring, rain storms will be your main concern. If you have a handheld radio, pack it. You will definitely need to look out for lightning and fog on the Bald Mountains & Big Bald. I definitely had an adventure when a surprising cloud system rolled off of Camp Creek and over to Sugarloaf. I was on Frozen Knob when I heard a "BOOM!" I high tailed it all the way down Sugarloaf in 30 minutes. I was soaked.

As for water, I hiked up to from Devils Fork Gap to Shelton Graves last week. Flint Mtn Shelter had plenty of water. And the climb up Sugarloaf is stream side to Sugarloaf Gap with a small waterfall and Big Rock has a spring. Then Hogback Ridge spring had good flow last week. There will probably be a water drop at Sams Gap knowing some of the area angels. The climb up Flattop is streamside and usually has good flow. No Business should be ok.

I am looking at maybe a in/out dayhike at Camp Creek Bald maybe next week. So I will probably see you.

Brushy Sage
03-27-2008, 19:07
A nice section. That ridge line north of Jerry Cabin Shelter is a beautiful and a tough bit for middle age sectioners from the flat lands. We loved it and it was the most challenging part of the hike. There was one blaze on rock that was hand over hand, probably eight feet high, We laughed and did it, knowing it was raining or ice, we would have been screwed. There were clearly marked, bail out on bad weather alternates. The thrus told us this day would be hard because of this ridge line. Was this a new part? We are curious.

The trail along the open ridge line is fairly new. I believe it opened to hikers about four years ago. The alternate (bad weather) section was the regular AT previously.

slingblade
03-27-2008, 19:22
Be prepared for cold weather. It was a low of 56 a few days ago and two nights later a low of 27.

Deerleg
03-27-2008, 21:03
Be prepared for almost anything…My April experience (same section 2004)as noted in an earlier post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo Joe
while hiking last year the class of 2005 encounter a mild snow storm april 2nd the day that will live in infamy. all i can remember is that there were so many people unprepared for this my self included. but not just equiptment. they had no idea what to do. most people were surprised by the storm in the morning and you can't blame them ...

I’m sitting here this morning listening to the wind howl as a cold front moves through Ohio and it reminds me of that storm. My son and I caught the tail end of one just north of Hot Springs. We talked to some thru hikers that had hold up for 2-3 nights in the same shelter. Some weren’t ready for the conditions and others improvised. We were thinking more in terms of a spring hike too and were caught some what by surprised by the conditions. The hammocks were OK in the gaps, but higher up no way. We stayed in a shelter with the thru hikers that night. Some people tented, as there were about 25-30 people at what I believe was a 12-person shelter. The snow had stopped, but the temps were in the low 20s and the wind was fierce. We used our hammocks as bivys, and 2 girls set up their tent on the ground in the vestibule of the shelter (which was fine) and others set up 10-30 yards away. Everyone had a good night.
http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/2/8/9/5/bb_medow-med_thumb.jpg (http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=3135&c=member&imageuser=2895)
Just N of Jerry Cabin Shelter April 2004

bigcranky
03-27-2008, 21:37
We've been surprised on several "spring" hikes in March and April. While it can be warm and sunny and high 70's at home, and even in the valleys out in western NC, at 5000 feet it's a whole different world.

Not to say we weren't prepared, but it's natural to expect that spring has sprung everywhere at the same time. Not true.

chili36
03-28-2008, 13:58
Also keep in mind that we are fond of saying in Southern Appalachia..."if you don't like the weather, just hang around about 5 minutes...it will change"