PDA

View Full Version : Mass AT, April 5-6, Lee to Great Barrington

earlylight
03-27-2008, 08:47
I'm looking for a few experienced backpacking partners for an weekend trip in Southern Massachusetts on the AT. We will start from Lee, MA just off the Mass Turnpike and head south to Rt 23 outside of Great Barrington. The route covers miles 638.6 to 659.3 in the AT thru hiker companion. The plan will be to start in Lee and hike south where we'll leave a shuttle. Both ends of the hike have good parking and this section is devoid of residential/urban habitation. Friends tell me this is a very beautiful section.

Itinerary.

Sat: Lee, MA to Shaker Campsite (11.5 miles)
Sun: Shaker Campsite to Mass Rt 23 (9.2 miles)

Meet at 8:00 AM, Saturday in AT Parking Lot in Lee off Rt 20/Mass Pike. Be prepared for 20 degree temperatures at night. Heavy snow cancels (not a snowshoe/crampon hike). Must have experience and appropriate gear for cold weather backpacking/camping.

I was scouting the Mass AT this past weekend and the trail is snow covered north of October Mountain, but clear to the south and on this section.

wystiria
03-31-2008, 10:14
so bummed we can't join you!

Dingus Khan
04-03-2008, 13:53
darn, likewise!!
i picked up some shifts this weekend just to stash some cash... i actually have been trying to get from lee from tyringham (short 12 mile sect) and would have loved to join you. that would complete most of MA for me and i haven't been able to do it since i have no shuttle.... :( (and i can't do 24 miles....)

i am also going to be planning a friday - sunday section to go from salisbury - ? southbound as i'd like to complete CT before summer.
i'll post a potential date soon and will most likely wait until the end of may-ish.

i've been suffering from what i think is ITBS (google it) and have had excruciating pain hit at every 7 mile marker lately. i am doing exercises and stretches and need to know that i can whip out a 15 mile day with pack before hitting the whites this summer.
(pain meds take most of the pain away so it doesn't really limit me, i just don't want to be dependent on them for week-long hikes).

have a blast and keep us updated!!

adamkrz
04-03-2008, 15:59
Be aware that some snow and ice are still on the trail, I hit some ice on a rock crossing Race brook today and went right into the water - lucky I had a change of cloths in my pack, Also I lost a 28oz KleenKanteen water container during this fall that I couldn't find..

Good luck on your hike, I'll be going north from Bear Mtn. to Lee starting april 14th.

earlylight
04-03-2008, 22:09
darn, likewise!!
i picked up some shifts this weekend just to stash some cash... i actually have been trying to get from lee from tyringham (short 12 mile sect) and would have loved to join you. that would complete most of MA for me and i haven't been able to do it since i have no shuttle.... :( (and i can't do 24 miles....)

Hope we meet up some time. I'm going to take a cab from the trail head outside of Great Barrington back to Lee - only 16 miles by road and start the section there. You might look into that as a solo shuttle option. I read about it in a trail journal somewhere.

earlylight
04-03-2008, 22:16
Be aware that some snow and ice are still on the trail, I hit some ice on a rock crossing Race brook today and went right into the water - lucky I had a change of cloths in my pack, Also I lost a 28oz KleenKanteen water container during this fall that I couldn't find..

Good luck on your hike, I'll be going north from Bear Mtn. to Lee starting april 14th.

Thanks for the warning. I've got extra clothes, especially socks and high gaiters in case I run into snow. I've also had run ins with ice shelves in the past and know the pit FALLS of getting water from snow covered stream banks. Had a near miss last year in late march at the foot of Mt. Sunapee in NH on the way back from the M-M Greenway.

earlylight
04-03-2008, 22:27
darn, likewise!!

i've been suffering from what i think is ITBS (google it) and have had excruciating pain hit at every 7 mile marker lately.

!

It might not be ITBS. Have you looked into Patellofemoral Stress Syndrome (http://sectionhiker.com/2008/02/14/knee-pain-a-hikers-guide/). Have you tried a cho-pat brace? I have friends who swear by them. If you are a pronator, you might also try Superfeet green insoles.

Dingus Khan
04-04-2008, 05:49
yeah, i have heard about the chopat braces but have not tried them. im pretty sure i do not pronate since i have had my gait and foot analysis done (not by a true orthopedist though) and it seemed pretty normal. i definitively will look into your link, thanks!

in regards to the solo shuttle for the berkshire area; there is a bus system that will transport between towns and small attractions, i lost the link that was initially given to me but did find this: http://www.berkshirerta.com/.
seems like it may be a good alternative to begging the wife to drive 3 hours to pick me up!!!

:)

earlylight
04-08-2008, 09:39
Long trip report (http://sectionhiker.com/2008/04/08/trip-report-mass-at-lee-to-housatonic-riversheffield/). Cover trail conditions for April 5-6, observations and experiences.

I promise the next trip won't be such a death march. :)

wystiria
04-08-2008, 10:35
Nice log - too bad we missed it! though we did beartown to Jug end (staying at Mt wilcox and tom leonard) last October. its a great hike - and definitely would be tricky in the ice. Did you go see the tent platform at Tom Leonard? now that is a great spot to tent!

We still need to do greylock! what do you think - memorial day?

earlylight
04-08-2008, 12:18
I didn't see the tent platform at Tom Leonard. Saw some blue blazes which I assumed went to a privy and didn't linger.

I'm scheduled to do a 40 mile section of the LT near Stratton over memorial day weekend led by an NY AMC trip lead I'm friends with. I think this is still part of the AT - maybe you want to come along. Russell attracts hard core hikers.

Or we can find another time. Most of my post memorial day hikes will be on the LT this year, so maybe I can interest you in the 100 miles that overlap the AT.

-P.

Symbol
04-08-2008, 12:38
Nice trip report. I will be hiking through there next month.

I hope the ice is gone by then!

Tin Man
04-08-2008, 14:09
Surprising to see so much snow and ice. I was hiking a section in NY on Sunday and it was clear.

wystiria
04-13-2008, 13:09
Hmmmm we are going to take on the VT AT section in early july - already have a 10 day trip planned.....though we will not get to Mass we will be 14 miles short.

Buttttt we might have some over laping weekends. i will shoot you an email with our dates/itenerary