PDA

View Full Version : Baxter State Park 2008 Opening..

L Tee
03-27-2008, 10:36
Talked to the people at the Appalachian Trail Lodge and I guess one of the Baxter State Park Rangers lives there and said not to expect it to open on the first of June. Anyone else have any good ideas when it will be opening up this year? My flight gets to Bangor on June 3rd, and the gentleman on the phone said it could be end of the first week in june or even the middle of june. Hopefully there is lots to do in Millinocket...

mudhead
03-27-2008, 11:15
Have faith. We are due a heat wave.

warren doyle
03-27-2008, 12:11
Leave Abol Bridge Campground area at 3am, register as day user, night hike roads to Abol Campground (about 5 miles). Climb the 3.8 mile Abol Trail to the summit. Descend Hunt Spur Trail (AT) and the AT to Abol Bridge Campground, night-hiking the last 4 miles. 24 miles in 20 hours (3am-11pm).

L Tee
03-27-2008, 13:44
Thank you for the suggestion but I don't I want to break any rules while hiking especially not at the very beginning! I just hope, like I said, there is lots to do in Millinocket.

roadtripper
03-27-2008, 21:51
There's nothing to do in Millinocket, unless you like BINGO :D

HYOH
03-27-2008, 22:41
Thank you for the suggestion but I don't I want to break any rules while hiking especially not at the very beginning! I just hope, like I said, there is lots to do in Millinocket.

If you didn't want to know, then why ask? A registered day user is one who uses the area without camping. Doyle's plan entails no camping so what's illegal about it? You'll be wearing only a light neccesity pack so you should atleast be able to get off Katahdin before you take an evening nap some where.(during your day hike):-?

weary
03-27-2008, 22:42
Talked to the people at the Appalachian Trail Lodge and I guess one of the Baxter State Park Rangers lives there and said not to expect it to open on the first of June. Anyone else have any good ideas when it will be opening up this year? My flight gets to Bangor on June 3rd, and the gentleman on the phone said it could be end of the first week in june or even the middle of june. Hopefully there is lots to do in Millinocket...
Sadly there is not much to do in Millinocket. But there is quite a bit to do in Baxter Park besides climbing Katahdin. Also this is a bit early to decide when the mountain will open for climbing. Maine weather holds many surprises.

Weary

paradoxb3
03-28-2008, 00:41
Thank you for the suggestion but I don't I want to break any rules while hiking especially not at the very beginning!

as HYOH has already said, is there actually anything illegal/wrong with taking WD's dayhike suggestion? As I understand it, its not like they put a big plexi-dome over Baxter... You can legally enter as a day user to summit Katahdin, so long as you're not camping, right?

L Tee
03-28-2008, 05:07
To everyone talking about WD's suggestions it all sounded pretty sketchy so I just assumed it would be against the rules. Registering as a day hiker and having to night hiking to get places does not exactly seem the legit.

And HYOH if you read the original post I did not ask for his suggestion. The question was if anyone had a good idea when it would open. I wasn't assuming anyone here is going to know the precise weather patterns but there are old people on here who have seen different years of weather who might have a good guess. Also, although I am more in shape than probably 90% of the people attempting thru hikes I dont think I want to hike 24 miles in 20 hours (On the first day of a thru hike????) nor wake up at 3am to "bend" the rules to night hike around the state park. And I wont be wearing a light necessity pack, I will be wearing one with however many days of food and water and everything else a person would need to plan on trying to hike a long distance.

L Tee
03-28-2008, 05:08
And thank you weary for precisely answering the question I had asked...

Jack Tarlin
03-28-2008, 07:19
Probably the best source of current, up-to-date information on the Park does not come from any one individual hiker.

I suggest you check out www.baxterstateparkauthority.com instead.

mudhead
03-29-2008, 11:58
And don't forget, first light is somewhere around 4:15AM.

I seem to remember camping opens 5/16 or so.

Trails open when they feel like it is safe.

Have faith. Gonna be freakin' tropical here next week!

weary
03-29-2008, 12:39
To everyone talking about WD's suggestions it all sounded pretty sketchy so I just assumed it would be against the rules. Registering as a day hiker and having to night hiking to get places does not exactly seem the legit.

And HYOH if you read the original post I did not ask for his suggestion. The question was if anyone had a good idea when it would open. I wasn't assuming anyone here is going to know the precise weather patterns but there are old people on here who have seen different years of weather who might have a good guess. Also, although I am more in shape than probably 90% of the people attempting thru hikes I dont think I want to hike 24 miles in 20 hours (On the first day of a thru hike????) nor wake up at 3am to "bend" the rules to night hike around the state park. And I wont be wearing a light necessity pack, I will be wearing one with however many days of food and water and everything else a person would need to plan on trying to hike a long distance.
Warren's proposal is not illegal. But usually there are plenty of vacant camping spots that early in Baxter. I would just camp and enjoy myself while waiting for the mountain trails to open.

Weary

peakbagger
03-29-2008, 12:46
Per a discussion with an employee many years ago

The park doesnt plow the roads in the spring, they have to melt and then get dry enough to drive on. They also get a fair share of washouts that they dont work on until the snowpack is pretty well melted out. Now once they "open" the park, the trails to the summit have to be "open". So the park can be open but there is a distinct possbility that the AT to the summit is closed.

Contrary to the prior assertion of an end run around a closed park that works in the fall, the rangers can and will "close" the trails to the summit and typically in the begining of the season will keep the summit trails closed until melted out. Frequently Abol melts out first, with the AT melting out later.

Jack Tarlin
03-29-2008, 13:48
Weary's correct. Warren's camping program isn't illegal. Just cheap. :D

warraghiyagey
03-29-2008, 13:57
Good thread. I've been at katahdin the last two years June 1 and June 27. Both years it was beatiful there. In fact last year I was the first hiker let through on the Hunt Trail and there were only a couple snow patches about a mile below the tree line. The Rangers asked simply that I'd try to help stomp them down as I went. Each patch less than twenty yard long.
Looking forward to it again this year.
All good input here. Thanks everyone.

HYOH
03-29-2008, 14:48

Warren's suggestion was an answer as to how to include the climb to Katahdin after your arrival without spending allot of time sitting there looking at it. Very few hikers carry their full rig up the big K and since what Mr. Doyle suggested is a loop hike, it would be questionable as to why you want to carry yours. Most folks carry a day pack with water, food and basic survival amenities. How ever you decide to do it, best of luck, enjoy your trek and HYOH.

weary
03-29-2008, 16:45
Weary's correct. Warren's camping program isn't illegal. Just cheap. :D
Well, the "Just cheap," was added by Jack. However, I still believe that if the park is open, but the trail to the summit is closed, just camp and explore. Chimney Pond is about the most beautiful place I've seen in the east. If you can get to Roaring Brook, take a day or two to walk the 7 mile round trip. It's an easy day hike, but it's even better as an overnight so you can watch the sun creep over the ridges and slowly illuminate the headwall in the morning.

Weary

Woody48
03-30-2008, 13:18
I spent the first week of March (2008) in Baxter State Park. My group camped at Chimney Pond and spent the week hiking and ice climbing.

I would recommend carrying only a light daypack up Katahdin. There is no point in carrying a heavy pack up to the summit just to carry it back down. Katahdin maybe "only" 5,267 feet (Baxter Peak), but unless you are a very experienced and fit mountain hiker, the odds are that it will kick your butt. You can make arrangements with the Rangers to leave your big pack and supplies with them for safe keeping. WD's suggestion is a good one. It may make for a long day but your knees will thank you if they don't have to carry a big load up and down the mountain. You should make good time once off of the steeper and rougher sections of trail.

If the park tote road is open and you plan on driving into the park, get in line with your car well before the park opens to make sure you can get to the parking area you want before it fills up. I recommend having your car in line before 5 am.

Here are a couple of pictures I took during our recent trip to Katahdin.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dawoodford/2317804444/in/set-72157604069481233/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dawoodford/2317798458/in/set-72157604069481233/

Woody48
03-30-2008, 14:02
Well I tried to post a couple of pictures but I guess I didn't do it right and for some reason I am not allowed to edit my own post. Here is a link to my Katahdin pictures from March 2008 http://www.flickr.com/photos/dawoodford/sets/72157604069481233/

Here is a link for Katahdin pictures from August 2006
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dawoodford/sets/72157604312500940/

DavidNH
03-31-2008, 08:44
Well...

yeah you could do it Warren's way. But..it's not a great place to night hike. Very very remote and rough terrain. And descending the Hunt trail is tough..and you might run into ice or snow..we are talking early June right?

As for Millinocket, yeah it is a fairly sleepy town. But there are a couple bars (isn't that what most AT thru hikers want anyway?) and there is a strip club outside of town (I did not visit so can't give feedback). There are good restaurants.. and hikers to talk to at the AT Lodge Hostel. So it is not a bad place.

DavidNH

HYOH
03-31-2008, 10:20
Well I tried to post a couple of pictures but I guess I didn't do it right and for some reason I am not allowed to edit my own post. Here is a link to my Katahdin pictures from March 2008 http://www.flickr.com/photos/dawoodford/sets/72157604069481233/

Here is a link for Katahdin pictures from August 2006
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dawoodford/sets/72157604312500940/

Woody, Thanks for the great pics... looked like a GRAND adventure. Had me out in the garage waxing my pulk. Did you see anyone else in the back country during the week? You can't edit your post unless you cough up some denero and become a contributing member. Well worth the money. I tried to contribute but they wouldn't take Confederate currency. :confused:

Kirby
03-31-2008, 18:05
Maine has had a lot of snow, but my dad says it is starting to warm up. All the rivers and streams will be flowing quite well, black flies should be wonderful this year, you might end up running through the 100 mile wilderness.

Kirby

L Tee
04-01-2008, 10:10
sounds like good news to me.

maybe I should buy a hazmat suit for these big ole flies I keep hearing about. Are they worse than the mosquitos down south in the summer?

Almost There
04-01-2008, 10:46

maybe I should buy a hazmat suit for these big ole flies I keep hearing about. Are they worse than the mosquitos down south in the summer?

Yes, they are worse, best I can equate...have you ever been bitten by a Deer Fly?

walkin' wally
04-01-2008, 13:51

Our mosquitoes are on steroids with roid rage.

I may be able to get you a Level A suit if you have an inspected SCBA to wear in it. Don't forget to double glove! You will need someone to zip you up too.

Old Hillwalker
04-01-2008, 14:09
The best fly fishing seems to be when the Blackus Flyus Horribilus are at their peak. I use a Bug Baffler top http://www.bugbaffler.com/ and surgeons gloves in order to not use chemical repellants. Not that I don't wish to use them, but I think that the stuff remains on the fly when you tie it to your tippet and then forms a film around the fly on the water's surface that the fish can detect. Normally I use lots of DEET at times. My old step-dad used to get bitten up early on in the spring and then never seemed to be bothered. He claimed that the body builds a self defense reaction after proper "inoculation". He never wore repellants, worked in the woods and fly-fished with a passion.

Hey, the body produces lots of different knids of antibodies don't it.

boarstone
04-01-2008, 15:55
I second Hillwalker on the method of gett'n bit right off and a lot! Strip down to the shorts and t's and lett'em atcha' right off! I have each spring when they first come out and yes your body will do it's "thing" and provide, believe it or not....a defense mechanism to them buggers. After which I have noticed they will only buzz around you a lot but the biting is less.;)

rcli4
04-01-2008, 16:25
I will have to take your word for it. I am gonna rely on Deet and bug netting

Clyde

HYOH
04-01-2008, 19:21
Actually, there is something 'illegal' in my suggestion of day hiking Katahdin in those days before they actually open the trails (SOBO - late May/early June) only because there are stretches of snowpack on the Hunt Trail below the Gateway. The trail is 'closed' and therefore you should not be hiking on it.
One's 'safety' perspection is another's 'adventure'.

My suggestions are for those few thru-hikers that have learned to question authority not to the majority of thru-hikers that strive to be obedient to it.

Dang Warren, just a few more post and I would of had that rule negated just by the rumor factor. Oh Well, off to another thread.

HYOH

weary
04-01-2008, 19:40
The best fly fishing seems to be when the Blackus Flyus Horribilus are at their peak. I use a Bug Baffler top http://www.bugbaffler.com/ and surgeons gloves in order to not use chemical repellants. Not that I don't wish to use them, but I think that the stuff remains on the fly when you tie it to your tippet and then forms a film around the fly on the water's surface that the fish can detect. Normally I use lots of DEET at times. My old step-dad used to get bitten up early on in the spring and then never seemed to be bothered. He claimed that the body builds a self defense reaction after proper "inoculation". He never wore repellants, worked in the woods and fly-fished with a passion.

Well a good friend of mine used that theory on a canoe trip down the St. John River in northern Maine in June.

After a day of bites, he had a temperature of 104. I persuaded our companions to wait 24 hours before calling in a rescue helicopter. He survived and enjoyed the rest of the 10 day trip -- though I noticed he never again wore a tee shirt or anything without a long sleeve in black fly season.

Weary

mudhead
04-02-2008, 12:54

The best fishing is indeed when the bugs are the worst.

I don't think people should try the immunity thing. You know if you have it or not. I can just see some poor half buck naked fool headed into the woods.

What gets me is when they land on the inside of my glasses.

L Tee
04-02-2008, 17:49
So let me see if ive got this right. people actually hike with a full bug suit on? or is just a long sleeve and one of the face nets enough to do the job?

those things just look silly.

mudhead
04-02-2008, 20:02
So let me see if ive got this right. people actually hike with a full bug suit on? or is just a long sleeve and one of the face nets enough to do the job?

They might. I don't. Long sleeve with snug cuffs. Tucked in. Blackflies crawl up. Spray any exposed skin and "cuffline." Spray legs and top of socks, can tuck pants into socks around camp. Spray some on your hand and smear it around your hairline, face, neck. Don't need a lot. People use waaay more than needed. Reapply when needed. They like to crawl up, and stealth your blood.

Headnet is a good thing when they are bad. Think DEET, or cover.(clothes, net.)

Look for an Afterbite pen. I swear by them. It is only ammonia, but the applicator is far better than a Q-tip... Works on ants as well.

Course, I am from New England, and therefore a Yankee. Would I lead you astray?

Old Hillwalker
04-03-2008, 08:49
Actually only a bug jacket with head net. Not great visibility, and it limits air flow to your skin so it's hot if you're being active. Does look silly, but remember if you're fly fishing you are standing still for long periods of time. That's not at all like moving along at a brisk pace.

I rarely wear it while hiking, and never in a breeze. I will be carrying it through Maine while I have my fly gear with me and may throw it on at times when I'm not moving and the bugs are in cloud formation. (B.T.W. "Fly" gear does not mean that it's awsome cool looking);)

the goat
04-03-2008, 09:16

if you're going sobo....

depending on when you leave, you could miss blackfly season. if you leave later (late june) the skeeters will be terrible, but you'll only see a handful of blackflies.

L Tee
04-03-2008, 09:25
Course, I am from New England, and therefore a Yankee. Would I lead you astray?

You yankees can be a bit sneaky, but what you told me sounded pretty legit so your ok by me....at least as of now :)

if you're going sobo....

depending on when you leave, you could miss blackfly season. if you leave later (late june) the skeeters will be terrible, but you'll only see a handful of blackflies.

Yes I am going sobo june 4th is my planned start day if the park is open. So hopefully I can get away from these black flies before they get too bad. Because I can handle mosquitoes, at least I think I can.

mudhead
04-03-2008, 09:30
Sneaky?

Dang. I didn't think I was clever enough.

I am glad you are coming up for the buffet.

L Tee
04-03-2008, 11:39
haha hopefully those flies wont like southern blood. Or maybe they will like it a little too much, just to spite me.

Either way, im sure the first time me being in the North will be bitter sweet in many different ways from people to even bugs.

bring it on. 3-2-1 go...

tina.anderson
04-03-2008, 13:50
Actually only a bug jacket with head net. Not great visibility, and it limits air flow to your skin so it's hot if you're being active. Does look silly, but remember if you're fly fishing you are standing still for long periods of time. That's not at all like moving along at a brisk pace.

I rarely wear it while hiking, and never in a breeze. I will be carrying it through Maine while I have my fly gear with me and may throw it on at times when I'm not moving and the bugs are in cloud formation. (B.T.W. "Fly" gear does not mean that it's awsome cool looking);)

Oh that doesn't sound too bad then. But it still doesn't sound like it would be too comfortable, especially if you start sweating.

the goat
04-03-2008, 15:22
Because I can handle mosquitoes, at least I think I can.

don't worry, they won't kill you . . . . they'll just make you wish you were dead!:D

mudhead
04-03-2008, 19:23
Oh that doesn't sound too bad then. But it still doesn't sound like it would be too comfortable, especially if you start sweating.

If the fish are biting, comfort is for later.

boarstone
04-04-2008, 15:48
If anyone is interested...spring has done UN-sprung...currently getting heavy wet snow fall with accumalation, I'm at rivers edge (100 mile wilderness base) at 700' above sea level...I'm sure you can figure the rest...mountains are socked in up here...started out as rain for all of 5 mins. Yuck! White is not in my color wheel anymore! Had shunks out to my birdfeeders last week, not since(maybe got run over?)
The snow fall is usuall for this time of year but not w/3-4 ft of snow pack still on the ground!

mudhead
04-04-2008, 15:54
Talked with a guy who was up to Big Eddy fishing. They opened the dam, and now it is open. He told me 5' of snow up there. ? Said the snowbanks were truck cab high. ?

34*F, raining hard and itching to become chunky here on the coast. C'mon warm!

boarstone
04-04-2008, 16:04
There's always those fishermen who go up to Big Eddy come April 1st regardless! Believe you me...it's not me..But do believe the snow reports they bring back! This year is like it always USE to be years ago...