PDA

View Full Version : Hunting Season

bloodmountainman
03-27-2008, 12:38
Turkey hunting season is in full swing in most of the southern trail sections. Be advised that the Trail runs through several Wildlife Management Areas. Hunters are out in the woods and some use the trail for access to hunting areas. Take care and keep dogs close.

taildragger
03-27-2008, 12:46
Watch the use of red bandannas, especially if you are prone to strutting, gobbling, and fanning your pack

Uncle B
03-27-2008, 13:07
Please refrain from wearing this on the trail during this time....

bloodmountainman
03-27-2008, 13:14
If you hear something that sounds like a turkey( gobbles for males; clucks for hens) DO NOT INVESTIGATE!

kayak karl
03-27-2008, 13:14
Turkey hunting season is in full swing in most of the southern trail sections. Be advised that the Trail runs through several Wildlife Management Areas. Hunters are out in the woods and some use the trail for access to hunting areas. Take care and keep dogs close.
wear a hat. it helps. http://www.hatsinthebelfry.com/page/H/PROD/zo/2019

take-a-knee
03-27-2008, 13:54
Watch the use of red bandannas, especially if you are prone to strutting, gobbling, and fanning your pack

Excellent point, it you wear something orange, make sure it is really orange and not reddish. Maybe lime green like the cyclists wear would be better.

Uncle B
03-27-2008, 14:16
I've hunted my entire life and I still can't understand how anyone could mistake a human for game (especially a turkey). I know it happens, but geeze, blind folks have no business flinging bullets in the woods. Turkey hunting is done with a shotgun, which has to be at semi-close range. Not only that, you have to identify a hen from a tom, which requires that you look for a beard (remember this beard is attached to the head of a freakin' bird). I guess some idiots get trigger happy and shoot at anyhing that moves?

bloodmountainman
03-27-2008, 14:26
I've hunted my entire life and I still can't understand how anyone could mistake a human for game (especially a turkey). I know it happens, but geeze, blind folks have no business flinging bullets in the woods. Turkey hunting is done with a shotgun, which has to be at semi-close range. Not only that, you have to identify a hen from a tom, which requires that you look for a beard (remember this beard is attached to the head of a freakin' bird). I guess some idiots get trigger happy and shoot at anyhing that moves?
I don't think hunters are the ones to worry about. Hikers and campers need to be aware this activity is going on.

take-a-knee
03-27-2008, 14:27

It helps to be really excitable, have no proper firearms training, and be a complete dumba$$. Unfortunately, many have all those qualifications.

bloodmountainman
03-27-2008, 14:38
It helps to be really excitable, have no proper firearms training, and be a complete dumba$$. Unfortunately, many have all those qualifications.
Are you describing hunters or hikers??:confused:

GGS2
03-27-2008, 16:02

Just so. Every season it seems some jackass shoots at a bush or a deer or a bird and bags his brother-in-law, or some total stranger. All of them wearing flame orange and shouting, "Don't shoot!" Remember your trusty Vice President. But that's ok, because his hunting buddy forgave him, and he was real sorry, as soon as he got done cursing the idiot for being in the wrong place.

Uncle B
03-27-2008, 16:30
Just so. Every season it seems some jackass shoots at a bush or a deer or a bird and bags his brother-in-law, or some total stranger. All of them wearing flame orange and shouting, "Don't shoot!" Remember your trusty Vice President. But that's ok, because his hunting buddy forgave him, and he was real sorry, as soon as he got done cursing the idiot for being in the wrong place.

Quail hunting and turkey hunting are two different types of hunting. Turkeys are shot 99% of the time while they are walking on the ground. Ever flushed a covey of quail? They fly in every direction and if you aren't extremely careful you can easily swing the barrell in the path of a fellow hunter. You have to observe your pre-determined shooting lane and don't cross your partner's path. It's really quite simple but as with anything in life, accidents can happen to anyone, even the most seasoned hunters.

taildragger
03-27-2008, 17:17

Every morning I hear about a soccer mom hitting another car and wounding (sometimes mortally) the passengers as they're screaming in their car "hit the breaks moron"

I hear about this jargon all the time, but the statistics are low, and most accidents occur with small upland bird hunting (which is in fact a somewhat dangerous hunting situation if you don't know your partners very well).

Sorry for the drift, I'll stop with the pro hunting banter

BTW, if you can learn to yelp like a hen, now is a fun time of the year to do it. I called in about 4 toms at McBride canyon near Borger Tx the other weekend, sounded like they are ready for the hens :eek:

stumpy
03-27-2008, 17:49
Last weekend we saw 2 toms with a group of 26 hens at the front of my sister's neighborhood. :eek: I guess it was spring break for the Turkey's too!

GGS2
03-27-2008, 18:04
Quail hunting and turkey hunting are two different types of hunting. Turkeys are shot 99% of the time while they are walking on the ground. Ever flushed a covey of quail? They fly in every direction and if you aren't extremely careful you can easily swing the barrell in the path of a fellow hunter. You have to observe your pre-determined shooting lane and don't cross your partner's path. It's really quite simple but as with anything in life, accidents can happen to anyone, even the most seasoned hunters.

Sorry to get your goat, but my point was/is that a safe hunter doesn't shoot on reflex. He positively identifies his quarry, his backstop, the position of his companions, if any, and is always aware of how many other people are in his vicinity, and where they are. If that means he doesn't bag his limit, so be it.

Please go ahead and get a rush every time you flush a covey, but please don't shoot unless you know what you are shooting at. If they fly past your sector, put up and wait for the next flush. If you lose track of your hunting partners or casual people in the range, put up until you know where everyone is.

Now, where did I go wrong? Many, many years ago, I was a member of the NRA. I don't subscribe to their politics, nor do I play with guns much any more, but I'm not a complete idiot. If you play with dangerous weapons, the onus is on you to ensure the safety of those within range of your weapon. Quail is not an excuse.

jersey joe
03-27-2008, 19:08
I don't think that many prospective thru hikers think very much about the hunters out there. I walked right past a few turkey hunters in PA and wished I had some bright orange on my pack or in my clothing. Come to think of it, I can't say that I've seen very many brightly colored back packs hanging up in Campmor.

Deerleg
03-27-2008, 20:35
...Not only that, you have to identify a hen from a tom, which requires that you look for a beard ...

Pack your razors men:rolleyes::rolleyes::p:p!

ki0eh
03-27-2008, 20:50
I don't think that many prospective thru hikers think very much about the hunters out there. I walked right past a few turkey hunters in PA and wished I had some bright orange on my pack or in my clothing. Come to think of it, I can't say that I've seen very many brightly colored back packs hanging up in Campmor.

Oh gosh, near Port Clinton one year I ran into a SOBO wearing all black fleece the day before bear hunting season opened in PA. I don't say much to hikers of any stripe in the spirit of HYOH, but to this guy I couldn't help but mention that. He said: "Oh, there aren't many bears or hunters here." (He was going into 20 miles of State GAME LANDS - I would often stop at the bear check station around the corner from my then office over lunchtime to see what was coming in - it was nearly always from that tract he was entering!!). The SOBO did have two orange gloves. Hope he survived...

ATC used to sell a pack cover that was blaze orange on one side and black with AT logo on the other. I might even still have it somewhere. It was two layers thick vinyl or something and probably weighed 2 lb or so. :D Not exactly a hot selling item.

Spring turkey season has been extended in PA this year. It runs from April 19 (youth day) THROUGH May 26 MEMORIAL DAY MONDAY in 2008.

Uncle B
03-27-2008, 20:58
[quote=GGS2;578227]Sorry to get your goat...quote]

I didn't take any offense to what you or anyone posted in this thread. My goat is still with me.

:sun

Tennessee Viking
03-28-2008, 01:43
The local papers listed a guy in Bulls Gap TN went Turkey hunting the day before. He got caught and get high, stiff fines.

Bob S
03-28-2008, 02:33
I’m an avid gun owner and hunter and have in the past worked at my friends gun store (for several years.) It’s amazing how little some people know or even want to learn about the guns they are buying. So yes a good hunter is careful and sure of his target. But a lot of people are not. I’m mostly a lone hunter as I don’t trust a lot of them enough to be around them in the bush with a gun.

The most careful hunters I have seen are varmint hunters that use a single shot handgun or rifle. These guys are extreme gun enthusiast that are very careful and know exactly what they are shooting at and have a very good idea how far away it is to within a few yards. They load their own ammo because factory ammo is not precision enough, And fully expect to hit the target the size of a 16-os pop bottle at 400-yards, in one shot, and for the most part do.

All other hunters should be suspect as far as their skills and situational awareness.

Be careful out there during hunting season!

Nearly Normal
03-28-2008, 05:07

You want to try again? ...about the beard thingy.

GGS2
03-28-2008, 10:03
You want to try again? ...about the beard thingy.

I guess you've never seen one of these things? The tom turkey is normally a bit bigger than a hen, and has a bigger fan (tail), but the main identification mark is a large, red wattle that hangs down from his beak/throat. This is called a beard in some places.

taildragger
03-28-2008, 10:32
I guess you've never seen one of these things? The tom turkey is normally a bit bigger than a hen, and has a bigger fan (tail), but the main identification mark is a large, red wattle that hangs down from his beak/throat. This is called a beard in some places.

Not quite, the head is not always overtly red, and most states say that you can only shoot a bearded turkey (and some hens do grow a beard)

http://www.al.nrcs.usda.gov/technical/photo/Wldf/mngt/tomturkey.jpg

take-a-knee
03-28-2008, 11:13
Not quite, the head is not always overtly red, and most states say that you can only shoot a bearded turkey (and some hens do grow a beard)

http://www.al.nrcs.usda.gov/technical/photo/Wldf/mngt/tomturkey.jpg

The male's wattle and head normally turn blue and red during mating season. That is why a splash of red can induce a moron to launch a load of # 6 shot towards you.

taildragger
03-28-2008, 11:19
Meant to say always, but overtly just looked cooler after I'd typed it, my bad.

Nearly Normal
03-28-2008, 14:26

Not quite.
But you can find out what a beard looks like from here.
http://www.n***.org/new_turkey_look.html

Nearly Normal
03-28-2008, 14:29
Not quite.

Try

Nearly Normal
03-28-2008, 14:31
Not quite.

That's twice it wouldn't cut and paste.
type *** for the ***

Nearly Normal
03-28-2008, 14:34
very strange.
wild turkey federation.
Use the first letter of each word.

Lauriep
03-28-2008, 18:00
Turkey firearm seasons in A.T. states are listed on ATC's website. There's a link at http://www.appalachiantrail.org/hunting. The earliest seasons start late March; the latest seasons end late May. Thanks to Python for compiling these.

Laurie P.
ATC

hammock engineer
03-28-2008, 20:11
What's the big deal? On my southbound last year it was hunting season from PA to SC. Everything from deer bow, deer rife, deer black powder, bear, and everything involving hunting dogs. Everytime I was thinking I would be out of it, I was in a different state with seasons picking up where the other left off.

I heard more gun shots in the woods than I ever heard in the city. It builds character talking to people with guns on the trail. The blood and guts left on the trail breaks it up a little too.

GGS2
03-28-2008, 20:22
Not quite.

Thanks for the correction. We are getting quite a few turkeys through here these days, a few years after reintroduction. We see hens with chicks through the summer quite a bit, but toms are much more shy, it would seem. I've seen a few displaying, but not so many at other times. Perhaps I should take a closer look at some of those hens?

GGS2
03-28-2008, 20:44
Just looked up the Ontario regulations on the spring turkey season. The Spring 2008 season runs April 25 to May 31, limit 2 bearded fowl not to be taken the same day. Hunters must report:
1. sex, as determined by the brown terminal band on breast feathers,
2. age (juvenile, adult) as determined by shape and markings of leading wing feathers,
3. length of spur, and
4. length of beard.

This would seem to indicate that the beard is not the determining sex characteristic. Perhaps older females may also have beards? Past laying age? I presume the length of spur is also an aging, or stress indicator.

The birds I have been seeing are pretty scrawny. They are out in the open fields wherever the snow cover is off, in patches. My question is, why a spring hunt? Surely the birds would be fatter in the fall? They can't be very good eating right now.

Anyone able to enlighten me?

Wise Old Owl
03-28-2008, 21:06
Oh gosh, near Port Clinton one year I ran into a SOBO wearing all black fleece the day before bear hunting season opened in PA. I don't say much to hikers of any stripe in the spirit of HYOH, but to this guy I couldn't help but mention that. He said: "Oh, there aren't many bears or hunters here." (He was going into 20 miles of State GAME LANDS - I would often stop at the bear check station around the corner from my then office over lunchtime to see what was coming in - it was nearly always from that tract he was entering!!). The SOBO did have two orange gloves. Hope he survived...

ATC used to sell a pack cover that was blaze orange on one side and black with AT logo on the other. I might even still have it somewhere. It was two layers thick vinyl or something and probably weighed 2 lb or so. :D Not exactly a hot selling item.

Spring turkey season has been extended in PA this year. It runs from April 19 (youth day) THROUGH May 26 MEMORIAL DAY MONDAY in 2008.

Sorry this isn't the Humor Forum - According to Weasel if you don't see him again he must have been shot:eek:

Wilson
03-28-2008, 21:16
Just looked up the Ontario regulations on the spring turkey season. The Spring 2008 season runs April 25 to May 31, limit 2 bearded fowl not to be taken the same day. Hunters must report:
1. sex, as determined by the brown terminal band on breast feathers,
2. age (juvenile, adult) as determined by shape and markings of leading wing feathers,
3. length of spur, and
4. length of beard.

This would seem to indicate that the beard is not the determining sex characteristic. Perhaps older females may also have beards? Past laying age? I presume the length of spur is also an aging, or stress indicator.

The birds I have been seeing are pretty scrawny. They are out in the open fields wherever the snow cover is off, in patches. My question is, why a spring hunt? Surely the birds would be fatter in the fall? They can't be very good eating right now.

Bearded hens are rare, Hunted all my life...I've never seen one.

Spring hunts are in most states, males only. Its a management thing that helps to keep the population stable. One Tom can breed a lot of hens.

Wild turkey breast is better eating than domestics...the legs are not as good as domestics (tougher).

Wild turkeys never get fat.

GGS2
03-28-2008, 23:01
... Wild turkeys never get fat.

Thanks, Wilson. Other wildfowl do get fat later in the summer, fall. Like geese and swans. Mostly subcutaneous.

Wilson
03-28-2008, 23:07
You're right...waterfowl especially.

taildragger
03-29-2008, 15:25

Wild turkeys are pretty scrawny in general, especially when compared to a domestic turkey. A REALLY BIG wild turkey will weigh 25lbs, not the breast, the whole bird (21lbs is the biggest I've shot and the biggest I've seen during season)

Nearly Normal
03-29-2008, 17:00
Hunters stand (sit) in likely turkey habitat.
Most have scouted the area to confirm they are indeed using the area.
Good camo technics are necessary as turkeys see very well.
Hunters call in Tom's using a chosen type call device. Recordings are not permitted as a general rule.
Peeps and clucks of the hen are mimiced to entice the old boy.
You must talk him in to it.
The older (larger) the bird, the more wary they usually are.
It is specialized hunting and requires talent.
It usually cost the hunter extra in fees other than the standard hunting permit. The equipment is specialized as well.

Nearly Normal
03-29-2008, 19:03
Hunters stand (sit) in likely turkey habitat.
Most have scouted the area to confirm they are indeed using the area.
Good camo technics are necessary as turkeys see very well.
Hunters call in Tom's using a chosen type call device. Recordings are not permitted as a general rule.
Peeps and clucks of the hen are memiced to entice the old boy.
You must talk him in to it.
The older (larger) the bird, the more wary they usually are.
It is specialized hunting and requires talent.
It usually cost the hunter extra in fees other than the standard hunting permit. The equipment is specialized as well.

taildragger
03-30-2008, 00:31
After speaking on this thread about what to wear in the woods, I did something somewhat stupid today.

I went to try and get rid of the feral hogs that have moved in on a lease that I hunt (hogs are generally a very bad, but tasty thing). I spent half the day walking through the woods, wearing a cowboy hat that has a fan feather from my last turkey.

I'm a genius.

ki0eh
03-30-2008, 17:06
Yah, there's a reason why I bought an orange bag to carry the turkey out of the woods with! :)

quasarr
03-30-2008, 20:31
Since I'm going SOBO I'll be hiking in hunting season for a while. Most hunters are knowledgeable and careful about what they shoot. It's the few clueless people coming from New York City and never shot a gun before who mess it up for everyone else. Planning to wear this blaze orange pack cover at all times!

http://www.jacksrbetter.com/index_files/Jeffs%20Gear%20Hammock-Pack%20Cover.htm

I may look like the biggest orange dork ever, it's fine as long as I don't look anything like a woodland creatrue!

hammock engineer
04-01-2008, 13:58
Since I'm going SOBO I'll be hiking in hunting season for a while. Most hunters are knowledgeable and careful about what they shoot. It's the few clueless people coming from New York City and never shot a gun before who mess it up for everyone else. Planning to wear this blaze orange pack cover at all times!

http://www.jacksrbetter.com/index_files/Jeffs%20Gear%20Hammock-Pack%20Cover.htm

I may look like the biggest orange dork ever, it's fine as long as I don't look anything like a woodland creatrue!

I met one in PA that didn't know he was on the AT. I don't like to put faith in other people on certain things.

My favorite runin was when I hunter was standing on the trail looking for deer with his rife on his shoulder in his sling. The business end of it was angled back to where I was going to walk behind him. He gave me a strange look when I ducked to get around him. Lets just say I don't like taking any chances.

Overall they were not an issue. If anything some hikers are making it worse. A couple took the radio collars off of the hunting dogs. Not a good way to get on their good side.

taildragger
04-01-2008, 14:55
A couple took the radio collars off of the hunting dogs. Not a good way to get on their good side.

Thats a good way for someone to run around wondering what the hell happened to his hounds.

I picked up 3 beagles a few weeks ago in the Ouachita's. I got my sick friend a free ride and had someone to talk with at the trailhead since we had taken care of his pups and brought them back out of the NF

hammock engineer
04-01-2008, 16:07
Thats a good way for someone to run around wondering what the hell happened to his hounds.

I picked up 3 beagles a few weeks ago in the Ouachita's. I got my sick friend a free ride and had someone to talk with at the trailhead since we had taken care of his pups and brought them back out of the NF

Yeah I met 1 hunter on an ATV on the trail looking for a lost dog after a super cold night. Not a cool thing to do. Plus as a rule I don't mess with people with guns.

I think the ones that did mess with the dogs are the ones not understanding they are working dogs.

Nearly Normal
04-01-2008, 16:44
If anything some hikers are making it worse. A couple took the radio collars off of the hunting dogs. Not a good way to get on their good side.

That's a stupid thief hiker.
I hope they get caught and fined/jailed.
Probably the same mind set that trashed the hotel in Hi.
They don't respect other peoples property.

tina.anderson
04-03-2008, 13:20
That's a stupid thief hiker.
I hope they get caught and fined/jailed.
Probably the same mind set that trashed the hotel in Hi.
They don't respect other peoples property.

I have no patience for people like that. They respect themselves, so they don't respect anyone else around them or their environment either.

Uncle B
04-20-2008, 19:30
I don't get it.....:confused:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,351877,00.html