PDA

View Full Version : Harpers Ferry to Katahdin in 63 days?

ticky
03-27-2008, 12:41
How sane is this? I have limited backpacking experience, and am not exactly in great shape, but I do have significant hiking experience. Is a ~20 mile a day pace as insane as it sounds?

Starting May 18th, for refrence.

Jack Tarlin
03-27-2008, 12:48
It can certainly be done if you're prepared to get up early, hike all day, and have limited town time.

Also, be aware that Maine and NH are quite difficult and your mileage will go down, so try and push harder in the Southern part of your trip.

What concerns me is that you say you have limited hiking experience. A 20 mile per day average is tough in any case, especially if you're new to this. If at all possible, I'd try and add a few weeks to your trip's itinerary, or consider leaving a few hundred miles of your trip for another time.

63 days from Harpers is doable, but it won't be easy.

Dholmblad
Unless you are young and in good shape, you will not be able to start with 20~ days. But theres no harm in trying.

Lone Wolf
not insane at all. go for it. you're young. you'll learn as you go

A-Train
03-27-2008, 12:54
Doable, but not easy.

Go light, be in really good shape when you start and minimize zero days. In fact try to avoid them unless you really need one. Take some neros instead.

Maximize daylight. May through July will provide long days. Don't limit yourself to shelters, it cuts back your mileage. If you get to a shelter at 5pm and the next shelter is 9 miles away, most will stay and hang out. Cook, move on, hike another couple hours and camp.

Good luck, have fun

clured
03-27-2008, 13:37
Absolutely no problem. I did the trail last summer (19 when I started), and averaged 26 mpd. The trip was my first overnight backpacking trip.

Bare Bear
03-27-2008, 13:48
WHY????
Do you nt want to enjoy the trip? Is all you want to see just your feet because the faster you hike the less you will see. Please consider slowing down, do like Jack suggested, add more time or cut the miles. Who said you have to go from HF to K in that time? If the time limit is forced by work, family etc. then do HF to Monson maybe. The biggest mistake I made was going too fast and not enjoying it nearly as much. Every thru hiker I have ever had serious talk with has said the same thing (I do not count those who want hiking to be an ego ultra-lite or speed contest). Now I am seriously considering going again because I know it will be better going slower and enjoying it more. I did like the first time too though.

clured
03-27-2008, 14:41
[quote=Bare Bear;577892]Every thru hiker I have ever had serious talk with has said the same thing (I do not count those who want hiking to be an ego ultra-lite or speed contest).quote]

Haha, "Everyone agrees with me except for the people who disagree with me, and they're stupid and egotistical!!"

Ticky: 20 miles per day isn't a difficult pace as long as you don't waste time. Most hikers out on the AT sleep in until like 8 or 9 (the egotistical speed hikers saw the beautiful sunrise while hiking at 5:30), mess around for like an hour in camp eating breakfast and doing who knows what, get on the trail at like 9 or 10, walk for two hours or so, stop for lunch, walks a little more, take a break, and so on and so forth. They key is to find a smooth, deliberate, controlled, firm pace, and hold it consistently in the first part of the day.

I've found that I consistently walked 10 miles in 4 hours at a smooth, non-agressive walking pace. This includes stopping for water, bathroom, etc. So, if you get on the trail at 5:30AM, you can easily walk your daily dose of 20 miles by 1:30PM, and have the rest of the day so stand still staring a trees, or whatever Bare Bear would have you do in the woods.

Tin Man
03-27-2008, 17:03
Start working out now, building up slowly until your start date.

jersey joe
03-27-2008, 19:00
I've found that I consistently walked 10 miles in 4 hours at a smooth, non-agressive walking pace...you can easily walk your daily dose of 20 miles by 1:30PM, and have the rest of the day so stand still staring a trees, or whatever Bare Bear would have you do in the woods.

I totally agree with what you are saying here Clured. I would typically hit the trail by 8am and have 10 miles done by lunch. 2.5mph isn't a torrid pace by any mreans. Sounds like Bare Bear does not subscribe to the thru hiker motto "HYOH"...

KG4FAM
03-27-2008, 19:12
I have limited backpacking experience, and am not exactly in great shape, but I do have significant hiking experience. If you ain't in shape 20+ ain't going to happen straight out the gates. Start somewhere north of HF if you want to finish at Katahdin. If you are starting May 18th why not come to trail days and head north from there and end up where you end up.

smokymtnsteve
03-27-2008, 19:28
It would be easy to start out fast , then blister your feet before they were toughened to the trrail so take it easy to start with.

ScottP
03-27-2008, 21:43
The biggest mistake I made on the AT and the first part of the PCT was listening to people that kept telling me to slow down. The very fact that you're considering hiking quickly probably means that you'll enjoy hiking quickly!

Don't listen to people who try to tell you what you do/should enjoy, just get out there and do your thing.

ticky
03-28-2008, 01:39
Alright, thanks for the input everyone. Glad to know I'm sane. I can certainly do 4 hours of hills no problem, so I'll probably start at 12 MPD, and ramp to 22 or so. Blisters suck, and I have no intention baiting them.

Why HF? (I think hydrofluoric acid everytime I see that) Well, there is certainly something to be said for starting at the nice, symbolic midpoint. And flying into DC is very easy, and I'd like to at least take a look at HF, it seems like an interesting place. Also, I do want a fast pace; I'm certainly not hiking as an excuse to socialize, I get more than I could ever want at university. What is it people do when they sit in shelters for hours on end anyway?

...And you could not pay me to go to trail days.

ticky
03-28-2008, 01:44
Oh, and the days are constrained by finals on one end, and Comic-Con on the other.

Lone Wolf
03-28-2008, 06:23
Also, I do want a fast pace; I'm certainly not hiking as an excuse to socialize, I get more than I could ever want at university. What is it people do when they sit in shelters for hours on end anyway?

talk about friggin gear, bitch about lack of cell service and whine about lack of "trail magic".

mrc237
03-28-2008, 06:46
talk about friggin gear, bitch about lack of cell service and whine about lack of "trail magic".

15,838 Your Finest!

sixhusbands
03-28-2008, 07:31
How much weight do you plan on carrying? Get used to that weight before you head out on the AT. Try and leave camp early and take advantage of the cool of the day to make up miles. You will have plenty of time for sleep if you live by the sun. You can easily do 20 miles a day and still have time to spare!

Tin Man
03-28-2008, 07:49
How much weight do you plan on carrying? Get used to that weight before you head out on the AT. Try and leave camp early and take advantage of the cool of the day to make up miles. You will have plenty of time for sleep if you live by the sun. You can easily do 20 miles a day and still have time to spare!

The pack-on hiking practice is the best way to prepare. Start with 3-5 miles and build up a little each week. If you are busy with life, make time in the evenings. If you don't have a hill nearby to climb, find some stairs. In addition to a local trail, I have used office building stairs and high school football stadium stairs to get in shape.

ticky
03-28-2008, 16:03
How much weight should I train with? And what do people weight their packs with? Water? Hills are not a problem here (Tucson is a mountain town, just don't tell the snowbirds).

mrc237
03-28-2008, 16:16
20 lbs of sand

ki0eh
03-28-2008, 16:21
Why HF? (I think hydrofluoric acid everytime I see that) Well, there is certainly something to be said for starting at the nice, symbolic midpoint.

Duncannon has signs up in town claiming itself as "Mid-Point of the Appalachian Trail" you could have someone take pictures of you at, though granted even if you get to Harrisburg it's two hops from Phoenix or Tucson any way you slice it, then you'd need a ride.

mudhead
03-28-2008, 17:22
How much weight should I train with? And what do people weight their packs with? Water? Hills are not a problem here (Tucson is a mountain town, just don't tell the snowbirds).

Cheap bag of dog food, inside a garbage bag tied off. Add second (smaller) bag after a few days. Then a two liter pop bottle filled with water.

Saw a sunrise at the "ski area" once. Very cool.

warraghiyagey
04-06-2008, 15:15
However it works out ticky, and the trail will let you know, have a great hike.:sun

Camping Dave
04-06-2008, 16:03
Your plan is reasonable. Not easy, but nowhere near impossible. You'll have a great time.

I work out at my office job by walking stairs while carrying a backpack loaded with books. Total weight is around 25 pounds, which is considerably more than my pack. Cheap, effective, and you can do it anywhere.

Good luck and have a great time!