PDA

View Full Version : ? to Damascus

stewill
03-27-2008, 12:58
My wife and I are coming to Trail Days, and we would like to do a two to three day, 20-30 mile hike. Where would be a good place to access the trail? We would need it to be somewhere a shuttle could easily take us.
Thank you,
Stewill

little bear
03-27-2008, 13:04
Yeah There Is A Great Hike, Where You Could Hike Into Damascus Headed Souh On The Trail That Would Take You Thru Mt Rogers And Is Really Nice. The Only Problem Is I Cant Think Of What That Trail Head Is Called. Lone Wolf Or The Only Wonder Would Be Able To Tell What It Is..tow Dropped Me Off There Once.

Lone Wolf
03-27-2008, 13:17
My wife and I are coming to Trail Days, and we would like to do a two to three day, 20-30 mile hike. Where would be a good place to access the trail? We would need it to be somewhere a shuttle could easily take us.
Thank you,
Stewill

you can either start at Elk Garden for a 24 mile hike SOBO back to town or at Massie Gap in Grayson Highlands state park for a 31 mile hike back to town. i can provide a shuttle. PM me if interested

Jack Tarlin
03-27-2008, 13:19
What Wolf said is exactly what I'd have suggested, and you should start from Massie Gap and do a three day trip; you won't be sorry. Plan for a long day on your last day, which will be mostly flat or down hill all the way back to Damascus.

little bear
03-27-2008, 13:19
you can either start at Elk Garden for a 24 mile hike SOBO back to town or at Massie Gap in Grayson Highlands state park for a 31 mile hike back to town. i can provide a shuttle. PM me if interested

MASSIE GAPS IS WHERE I WAS TALKING ABOUT......NICE HIKE AND VIEWS.

KevinAce
03-27-2008, 14:24
What's the next drop-off point east of Massie's Gap? That's where we were dropped off. From there to Damascus is about 42 miles. If I did it again, I would probably just go right to Massie's Gap. Up until then...it was mostly just uphill climbing through woods (a handful of clearings up high).

Lone Wolf
03-27-2008, 14:26
What's the next drop-off point east of Massie's Gap? That's where we were dropped off. From there to Damascus is about 42 miles. If I did it again, I would probably just go right to Massie's Gap. Up until then...it was mostly just uphill climbing through woods (a handful of clearings up high).

Fox Creek/ VA 603

KevinAce
03-27-2008, 16:25
Fox Creek/ VA 603Ah yep that's it - thanks!

Mongoose2
03-29-2008, 21:06
Jack or Lone Wolf; how difficult is the Massie to Damascus leg? I am comming back from a knee injury and want to do a short hike, but don't want to overdo it. Thanks!

Mongoose

mkingsva
03-29-2008, 21:11
I met Lone Wolf on the AT. He lives nearby. He knows the area.

mkingsva
03-29-2008, 21:12
mkingsva=white woman who though she could (trail name).

Mongoose2
03-29-2008, 21:21
Mkingsva, Interesting trail name!

Tennessee Viking
03-29-2008, 23:39
If you are planning to hike before Trail Days. I would suggest to go North of Damascus. You will be running into a crowd if you go anywhere south. Probably Mountain Empire Airport into Mount Rogers. Something at Graysons back into Damacus.

If you are hiking after Trail Days, head toward Watauga Lake or Dennis Cove.

You probably will see fewer hikers that are skipping Trail Days.