PDA

View Full Version : Fontana Dam to Hot Springs

buff_jeff
03-27-2008, 14:24
How is the terrain between those two points, generally? I'd like to skip Gatlinburg and go for no resupply until Hot Springs. Gatlinburg doesnt seem like the type of place I really want to hit up and get sucked into. Anyway, I'm in decent shape, I usually hike between 15 and 20 miles a day, so do you guys think I could do this in 7 days? Thanks in advance.

Newb
03-27-2008, 14:45
Sometimes, when I want to check the actual "reality" of a section...I go to trail journals and look what folks of a similar age and constitution to mine did. It helps get a view of the reality of the day to day.

DesertMTB
03-27-2008, 14:47
How is the terrain between those two points, generally? I'd like to skip Gatlinburg and go for no resupply until Hot Springs. Gatlinburg doesnt seem like the type of place I really want to hit up and get sucked into. Anyway, I'm in decent shape, I usually hike between 15 and 20 miles a day, so do you guys think I could do this in 7 days? Thanks in advance.

Gatlinburg is pretty cool.

Johnny Swank
03-27-2008, 14:52
The hike up from Fontana is a bear, but you're good once you get on the ridge, you're good to go. I'd pack 7 days of food and skip Gatlinburg if crowds, neon, and touristy stuff isn't your kind of scene. I think the new "Mountain Mamas" is now open, which would give you an option to pick up enough grub to get you to Hot Springs. There's also the hostel at the north end of the park, but I'm not sure of what they have to sell.