PDA

View Full Version : Great Product: Lock Laces!

desdemona
03-28-2008, 00:37
This is such a great product: Lock Laces!
I have been struggling a bit with my shoes for the last weeks. Then I got these this past week and I am crazy about them.
(http://www.locklaces.com). I got mine locally.
(In fact, I liked them so much that I went out and got some more for my everyday shoes.)

Great things: keep your shoes (they wouldn't work in boots-- I think) on and laces done. Keeps laces at a steady tightness, but you can tie them tighter or loosen them with an easy movement. Easy to use, sturdy. Look basically not breakable. Come in 5-6 different colors to go with even the most lurid colored (and they certainly are that, sometimes) hiking and trail runner shoes. Keeps heels in back, if you need that. All you do is a lace lock, and then put in the lock laces.

(I am not related to, nor do I profit from the good people from lock laces).

--des

fiddlehead
03-28-2008, 01:26
It's just a cord lock with a fancy thing on the end.
I've been using them on my running/hiking shoes for years.
They cost about 8 cents each if you buy them in bulk or .50 at REI or equivalent.

Summit
03-28-2008, 06:53
Doesn't the lock dangling on the end become bothersome? Do you tuck it in?

aaroniguana
03-28-2008, 08:58
Actually it looks like elastic round cord with a two hole cordlock and a plastic bead. Which I already have lying around.

forever wild
03-28-2008, 10:23
hi I am new here, and new at hiking, wonder if you guys have any tips on the right gear for backpacking, and what kind of shoes to wear, things like that.

Toolshed
03-28-2008, 11:32
Thump click .......thump click...... thump click...... as it bangs back and forther from the top of your shoe to your ankle or top of your tongue. seems like it would get annoying...AND I bet they don't look good on Black spitshined Wingtips!!!!!!

jlb2012
03-28-2008, 11:46
I use a somewhat similar approach - a fairly strong cordlock with 550 cord sheath - after putting on the cord lock just tie the ends of the cord together - this permits a quick release by just sliding the cordlock out until it hits the knot - after tightening I tuck the knot under the cross lacing - It may flop around a little but I don't notice it - certainly no sensation to the foot or ear as a result of the knot flopping

jlb2012
03-28-2008, 11:49
hi I am new here, and new at hiking, wonder if you guys have any tips on the right gear for backpacking, and what kind of shoes to wear, things like that.

welcome to Whiteblaze - there are several articles listed on the main page that are probably a good starting point - after that start searching for specific items of information - realize however that there is no one answer to what is the right gear or shoes - it really depends on what the user feels comfortable with.

Summit
03-28-2008, 17:07
hi I am new here, and new at hiking, wonder if you guys have any tips on the right gear for backpacking, and what kind of shoes to wear, things like that.Shoes? Trail runners and not heavy ridged leather boots. Those are dinosaurs of yester-year's hikers.

Other gear? Rather than having us rewrite the voluminous amount of knowledge already well written and contained in threads here at WB, do some searching and reading about tents vs. tarps, types of backpacks, ultra-light vs. modest weight backpacking, clothing tips (in a nutshell - no cotton anything) - layers and fleece are good starts, food (see the food forum, lots of ideas). You'll probably want as good and light a sleeping bag as your budget will allow. Read about down vs. synthetic sleeping bags and make your choice.

It's all already here on WB, you just have to dig (search). ;)

bkrownd
03-28-2008, 19:35
Shoes? Trail runners and not heavy ridged leather boots. Those are dinosaurs of yester-year's hikers.

Us dinosaurs actually go off the well-manicured city-boy trails and into the real wilderness in our tough waterproofed leather boots and gaiters.

rockrat
03-28-2008, 19:49
Salomon has something similar on most of their trail runners and some models of boots. They also have a cleat type thing on their shoe models that have real laces.

Summit
03-28-2008, 21:28
Us dinosaurs actually go off the well-manicured city-boy trails and into the real wilderness in our tough waterproofed leather boots and gaiters.This old dinosaur also goes off the well-manicured city-boy trails in his trail runners and has very happy feet at the end of the day! But to each his own. If you like the rubs, blisters, and aching feet that rigid heavy leather boots cause, keep on enjoying them! :)

desdemona
03-29-2008, 02:12
Thump click .......thump click...... thump click...... as it bangs back and forther from the top of your shoe to your ankle or top of your tongue. seems like it would get annoying...AND I bet they don't look good on Black spitshined Wingtips!!!!!!

Nah, though you can just tuck the thing in if it were to bother you. I think the laces are sturdy enough (and rather on the short side) that they don't knock around a lot.

Sounds like others may have found similar type solutions. But they did solve what was a problem with fit-- since my shoes were slipping out and I couldn't always tie them identically.

I doubt they'd look so good with your wingtips. They come in 6 colors, and most of them are stripy, so I can't quite see black and white striped laces in the dress shoes. :D

(BTW, I think they'd be good for people with arthritis.)
--des