PDA

View Full Version : Mail drop schedule for maps?

Powder River
03-28-2008, 08:26
I was trying to find a ready-made maildrop list that is based upon replenishing maps throughout the trail. Ideally, the mail drops would be at towns at the edges of the maps so I can switch them out, and only have to carry 2-3 maps at a time since weight is an issue.

I was planning on figuring this out myself but I am now leaving tomorrow and have run out of time. Please help, if anyone has a good list! Thanks.

Jack Tarlin
03-28-2008, 08:46
Depends entirely what you want to spend on postage.

Here's what I do:

*Start with either one or two maps
*Get two more at Fontana Dam
*Get another at Hot Springs
*Pick up a few more at Damascus
*Pick up 2 or 3 more later in VA
*Pick up my Shenandoah maps in Waynesboro
*Pick up Maryland maps in Harpers Ferry
*Pick up first PA maps in Boiling Springs
*Pick up other PA maps in Duncannon or Port Clinton
*Pick up NJ/NY maps in Delaware Water Gap
*Get CT maps in Unionville or Vernon
*Get MA maps in Salisbury
*Get VT maps in Williamstown
*Get NH maps in Hanover
*Get first Maine maps in Hanover
*Get later Maine maps in Andover or Stratton

If I want fewer maildrops, I'll cut this list back by a few, and maybe carry an extra map for a few days, but there's never anywhere where you have to carry more than two or three maps for any length of time unless one chooses to. People that don't carry maps to save weight are being silly; the weight is negligible.

Johnny Swank
03-28-2008, 09:22
I'd cut down the number of maildrops from Jack's list, but agree with the general premise. In fact, I'd just buy the maps in Hot Springs, Damascus, and Harper's Ferry instead of sending them there. I've cut weight in several other areas, including my gut, so a couple of extra maps or extra day worth of food is no big deal.

Peaks
03-28-2008, 09:45
Well, where are you planning mail drops anyway because of food resupply? For example, if you are planning on a mail drop at Glencliff, then include maps with that drop.

Powder River
03-29-2008, 02:15
Well, I hadn't planned any maildrops for food, just planned on buying food along the way. Although, just this morning I read that its a good idea to send food to Fontana Dam because the store is terrible. Are there any more places like that?

Jack,

THANKS! That's exactly what I was looking for. It will definately do.

Jack Tarlin
03-29-2008, 08:15
The Re-Supply in Fontana is lots better than it used to be; check out the selections at the Outfitters as well as the stuff at the small market. For more info on re-Supply and where a maildrop might be a good idea, check out the full-length piece on re-supply in the Articles section of this website.

Max Power
04-01-2008, 23:41
Thanks for recognizing the change in Fontana, Jack. Unless you're a vegetarian I would say you have all you need at Fontana to get though the Smokies.

If you all would like to see even better selection, come to the Hiyak Festival April 18 - 20. I know it sounds like a plow, but it's the truth. If Hiyak builds ownership will continue to see how important hikers are and how we need to treat you right.