PDA

View Full Version : Interesting privies

Desert Lobster
01-26-2004, 13:24
1. The one where you go in the clown's mouth.

2. The 2-seater with the cribbage board in between(at Piazza shelter near Saddleback I think).

3. Antlers Campsite privy with its mirror, sink, and curtains.

4. 3 sided privy with no top on the top of a mountain somewhere in the South. Boy was it cold, but the view was excellent!

Bluebearee
01-26-2004, 13:52
1. The one where you go in the clown's mouth.

2. The 2-seater with the cribbage board in between(at Piazza shelter near Saddleback I think).

3. Antlers Campsite privy with its mirror, sink, and curtains.

4. 3 sided privy with no top on the top of a mountain somewhere in the South. Boy was it cold, but the view was excellent!

1. where was this? Are you thinking of Jenkins Knob in VA with the artwork that said "feed me"?
2. That's the one.

4. Thomas Knob on Mt. Rogers?? the solar privy??

Ore Hill Shelter or the penta-privy at Thistle Hill Shelter in NH. DOC likes their engineering. Wish they'd spend more time on trail maintenance!

A-Train
01-26-2004, 15:30
Then theres the one in jersey at rutherford shelter where its just a can and a seat, no walls of any sort. Now thats open to the elements! Also one like this in CT near ball brook

Desert Lobster
01-26-2004, 17:02
Blue,

yeah, now that u mention it, I remember that privy saying "feed me".

The open privy with the good view was nearer the beginning of the trail. The 3 sides were only about 4 feet high. Just enough to keep people in the shelter from peeking.

mindlessmariachi
01-26-2004, 17:17
i recall several nice views from doorless privies down south. The Barn shelter in Tennessee had a particularly good view.

What was most bizarre about that "can with seat" privy in jersey is that it was only about 20 feet behind the shelter; there was zero privacy if, say, a girl scout troop should wander down the shelter access trail.

Dudeboard
01-26-2004, 17:36
What about the Cloudland privy (now at the Thistle Hill Shelter). Does the privy still have its own register and bulletin board?

Peaks
01-26-2004, 18:34
Then theres the one in jersey at rutherford shelter where its just a can and a seat, no walls of any sort. Now thats open to the elements! Also one like this in CT near ball brook

In 2002, their was "Porta-Privy" at Wataga Shelter. For those who have not thru-hiked, the section of trail maintained by Tenn. Eastman does not have any privies, except one. Instead, you find a shovel with instructions to dig your own. So, someone had some fun knocking out the seat of a plastic chair, are writing "Porta Privy" on it.

celt
01-26-2004, 19:12
My favorite three sided privy was at the Chestnut Knob Shelter. It had a great sunset view over Burkes Garden.

Pop Quiz! Name the shelter site...

1. Privy with a draw-bridge.
2. Eight sided shelter, five sided privy.
3. "rivy" (notice there's no 'P' in the...)
4. Avrill's Cabin.

Any others?

A-Train
01-26-2004, 20:14
I believe number two is the hexacube privy/shelter. Is the Draw bridge one the Trapper John one? I remember that one being really high up.

Speaking of the Tennessee Eastman Hiking Club, the only privy in their section is at overmountain shelter. I heard that the privy was actually built across the north carolina state line by Bob Peoples as an independent project. As mentioned, the only option given at most of the tennessee shelters is that infamous metal shovel. I can remember seeing toliet paper piece strewn out of the ground all behind the Cherry Gap Shelter. Nasty!

Hikerhead
01-26-2004, 20:30
#1 Ore Hill Shelter privy

Doctari
01-26-2004, 21:46
So far, my favorites are:

The Hawk Mt privy, nice view in 97.

Brown fork gap privy, I was having, , , , , , "Abdominal Issues" that day.
:jump

My first composting privy at Mt Collins, Ecology.

I LOVE every privy. Have no problem using the bear in the woods routine, but I like comfort that time of the day :)

Doctari.

Kerosene
01-27-2004, 15:51
Hikerhead knew the answer because he and DebW broke the drawbridge last year! :p

MDSHiker
01-27-2004, 17:03
How can we forget the privy at Hogback Ridge Shelter in TN? It's a three sided shelter on the bluff of the mountain...one of the finest views on the AT.

DebW
01-27-2004, 18:20
I loved the privy at Trapper John shelter. It has an armchair for the seat. When I get my 25 year service wooden armchair from my company, that's what I'm going to do with it. :D

mustang
01-27-2004, 18:31
What about the portable toliet at Watuga Lake? It was just a chair with a hole cut in the seat...that was great!

grizzlyadam
01-27-2004, 18:36
i'm guessing that maybe they've rebuilt the hogback ridge privy in the last few years. when i was at that shelter in the fall of 2000, i went to use the privy and it was the most disgusting thing i've ever experienced.

it was dark and i was wearing my headlamp and the beam accidently shown down into the hole and the crap was piled up to within a foot of the seat.

yeah, i've never been back in a privy since then.

Hikerhead
01-27-2004, 19:17
Hikerhead knew the answer because he and DebW broke the drawbridge last year! :p

Kerosen!!!! :datz

Yeah, we did it...the door got away from us while we were goofing off at the Privy....that door must weigh 200 lbs. I dought that any one person could pull that monster up.

I know the minds at the DOC will find a better soluction than the milk jug ballist system they're now using. Maybe if there was a bicycle wheel in front of the seat, with a chain going up to the ceiling attaching to another gear with a pulley attached, and then a rope going to the door.

Or a block and tackle set up. Anyway, I would call this a three sided privy now. :eek: