PDA

View Full Version : Alternate A.T.s

Hank Harman
03-28-2008, 19:28
I have just written a letter to Editor, AT Journeys, suggesting that fully coequal routes should be considered for the Great Smokies N.P. and White Mtns. Reasons for this include the volume of hikers in those areas and the accomodation problems. We, of ODATC in Richmond, suggested an alternate route in SNP in 1977 which bombed. If adopted, the routes should be white blazed and thru-hiker "credit" given or they won't be used. Routes to east of present AT are possible. They would be less spectacular but still interesting. Old timers like me (Section hiker traverse, 1940-79; 25 year AT maintenance award) know that coequal routes did exist in Maine between Pierce Pond and Mt. Bigelow. The northern, "Dead River", route now lies at bottom of Lake Flagstaff. What do you think?
Awesome Gramps (Hank Harman) 3/28/08

Lone Wolf
03-28-2008, 19:38
no "credits", patches or certificates should be awarded for walking. period

Dirtygaiters
03-28-2008, 22:54
If people are only hiking the AT route because they think they are getting thru hiker "credit" then let them. We don't need to give them any incentive to take their closed-minded attitudes about hiking accomplishment to any other trails, thank you.

superman
03-28-2008, 23:06
The other major trails have alternate routes that are selected for availability of water, speed, views, etc. I think it's a great idea and I couldn't care less if it was white blazed or merit badge qualified.

Jaybird62
03-28-2008, 23:56
no "credits", patches or certificates should be awarded for walking. period

U is right.......Pride comes before a........well you know the rest!

jambalaya
03-29-2008, 00:19
After I hiked through those areas I had the thought that it would be great if the use could be a little more dispersed. Especially the Whites -- I remember hiking up Mt. Washington and thinking I could have taken a different, less-crowded route and enjoyed it more. I realized I was blindly following the white blazes out of habit! I also think it would be great if someone wrote a new guidebook that included details for alternate routes.

I agree that it's not the greatest thing to hike for a certificate, but I also think it's unrealistic not to realize that people do -- and to give "credit" for alternate routes might be the best way to get people to use them.

The one thing that I worry about is this -- do we want to create 'AT hiker' traffic on routes that have been relatively uncrowded until now? Will evening out the use take away from what solitude is left for those who care to seek it out?

I don't know that that would be the case here -- it's more of a general thought. I do tend to think encouraging hikers to use alternate routes is a step in the right direction for the AT.

ScottP
03-29-2008, 00:35
The other major trails have alternate routes that are selected for availability of water, speed, views, etc. I think it's a great idea and I couldn't care less if it was white blazed or merit badge qualified.

The alternates are exactly that--alternates. The only thing that is different on the PCT is that no one cares about being a purist. If a route is prettier, makes an easy resupply loop, etc. then it is taken.

Chef2000
03-29-2008, 05:51
Just solve the problem by saying "in (insert year) I hiked from GA to ME". Eight years after my big hike Thats what I tell peeps, believe or not, a lot of city folks do not know what the Appalachian Trail is. I get more of a reaction when I say "I walked from GA to ME," peeps look at me like I was crazy. So if you use an alternate , for whatever reason, u still walked from GA to ME. NO merit badges needed.