PDA

View Full Version : Eat dinner hike some more?

Ashman
03-29-2008, 06:29
I was speaking with a buddy and he was telling me that some folks stop for dinner and then hike some more afterwards. Two main reasons was to put some distance between meal prep area and sleep area (bears amd critters) and to take advantage of a longer day. What do you think? The idea sounds good but I wonder how willing I would be to sling my pack back on at the end of the day

gsingjane
03-29-2008, 06:51
I agree that is sounds like a good idea but it also sounds a bit hard psychologically, for exactly the same reason you mentioned. When my pack is off at the end of the day, I don't even like to pick it up to carry it 50 yards to a campsite!

Jane in CT

Mrs Baggins
03-29-2008, 06:55
No way. Once that pack is off and dinner is cooked I'm done for the day. Eating the hot meal and cleaning up is enough work. I'm not going to pack up again and keep walking.

Jack Tarlin
03-29-2008, 08:23
People seem to do this out west a lot more than they do on the A.T.

As for me, when the pack comes off, or more importantly, when it's dinnertime, that's it for me. I generally cook and eat a very large meal at the day at the end of the day, and there's no way I feel like hiking ten yeards when it's done. I'd rather get up early in the morning, get my miles in, and be done by five o'clock, rather than hike til seven PM or later, but to each their own.

FFTorched
03-29-2008, 08:23
I have done it. A buddy and I didn't reach our goal but got hungry so we stopped and ate dinner then hike a few more miles to where we wanted to camp.

Lone Wolf
03-29-2008, 08:25
No way. Once that pack is off and dinner is cooked I'm done for the day. Eating the hot meal and cleaning up is enough work. I'm not going to pack up again and keep walking.

no doubt. i don't hike past 4 PM.

KG4FAM
03-29-2008, 08:27
I do it sometimes. Not to get distance between cooking area and campsite, but for the extra energy from dinner.

rafe
03-29-2008, 08:49
I've done it on occasion. Particularly if I come upon a beautiful spot at just the right time, and when I know that I won't be camping at or near a shelter in any case. I try to use all the daylight I can -- but I take lots of breaks during the day.

Lyle
03-29-2008, 09:40
I do it sometimes, hiking in the coolness of the evening is very enjoyable. Also, if you are making a high-mileage day out of it, early cooking keeps your energy level up.

Have also cooked my main meal at lunch time on real hot days, find a shady, comfortable spot, cook my "dinner" then continue hiking in the later afternoon, stopping to eat "lunch" at some point in the evening.

As Jack mentioned, this latter is more common when I hike out west, but evening hiking is great everywhere.

Then again, lounging around camp for several hours is nice too - being flexible is the name of the game.

Yahtzee
03-29-2008, 09:55
I do that alot as well. Once my crew get into the hike-til-dark/night hiking groove we will usually cook around 7 and try and get 4-6 more miles in. Another reason to cook is water source availability. If there is no water source ahead but your not tired sometimes the easiest thing to do is eat dinner, load up on water and move on. Eating gets to be so animalistic at some pt. that, for me anyway, walking afterwards isn't so hard. It kinda all blends together, eat, walk, eat, walk, that it makes no difference in which order they get done.

It's like Ponyboy, Pit and I would always quip in '03, "It's just as dark at 2 am as it is at 10pm". (While probably not technically true, it made the pt., there are 24 hours in a day in which you can be walking, why limit yourself?)

NorthCountryWoods
03-29-2008, 10:36
Did this in griz country to keep a clean sleeping area. Not really difficult if you plan to do it and just pack differently.

Don't like doing this on the AT cuz stealth camping can be difficult and all the best tent sites get filled up early. Rather start early and stop early.

NICKTHEGREEK
03-29-2008, 10:45
Crack of dawn start, large meal and siesta at noon, hike till dusk, small snack and sleep. Each day was more like 2 as far as measured progress and routine went. The terrain was well suited to a routine no pesky climbs.

earlylight
03-29-2008, 11:41
I like to camp outside of established areas, so cooking on the trail, in the late afternoon, means that I have less of an impact on the place where I hang my hammock. I do the reverse when I leave. Pack up, hike back to the trail and cook breakfast.

fiddlehead
03-29-2008, 13:40
After dinner, just before sunset is THE best time to be out hiking IMO.

I often eat and then go out and hike till dark, then just sleep right near the trail, no need to do anything except rig my quick sil shelter, and lay out the bag and go to sleep. (out west when you know it isn't gonna rain, just lay out the pad and bag)

Really, i love those last bits of daylight. best colors of the day and the animals are usually out foraging at that time too. (and you usually have the trail to yourself as most folks are in their tents reading the Steinbeck or writing their journals )

You should try it at the very least.

CrumbSnatcher
03-29-2008, 14:04

I often eat and then go out and hike till dark, then just sleep right near the trail, no need to do anything except rig my quick sil shelter, and lay out the bag and go to sleep. (out west when you know it isn't gonna rain, just lay out the pad and bag)

Really, i love those last bits of daylight. best colors of the day and the animals are usually out foraging at that time too. (and you usually have the trail to yourself as most folks are in their tents reading the Steinbeck or writing their journals )

You should try it at the very least.
sounds about right.

LIhikers
03-29-2008, 14:16
I was speaking with a buddy and he was telling me that some folks stop for dinner and then hike some more afterwards.

I've done that, but not often. Usually once I stop, that's it for the day. There have been occassions when we've been in the mood for an easy after dinner walk and so we get up and go. But once I loosen my shoe laces and/or take off my shoes, the chances of doing more hiking are slim to none.

Phreak
03-29-2008, 14:23
I prefer to stop and eat dinner in early evening, and then continue to hike. When hiking solo, I often hike well into the night, often setting up camp close to 10 or 11pm. I like find a spot, set up camp, have a snack and crash.

Dholmblad
03-29-2008, 14:25
I like to do it if I am trying to get more then 25mi in a day.

Blister
03-29-2008, 14:35
It's a style of hiking, definatley used alot in the western trails, especially in the dessert areas or if you need to reach various passes by a certain time, in grizz country - highly recommended. Once you get used to its easy. Folks who stop at 4 in the afternoon eat then lounge around, that is the habit that they have choosen. They get used to it and doing anything else feels like a burden. If you want to make the miles, this method or style will let you lounge at a beautiful spot durimg the day and still make the miles needed to reach your days goal. Definatley used by 20+ milers. It's just another way of hiking.

A-Train
03-29-2008, 14:41
Everythings been covered by all the vets here, but I'll add my 2 cents.

I was an in camp early guy on the AT. I power-hiked, got in my miles and was satisfied by 5pm to cook dinner, set-up camp, hang, read a book, and joke with friends.

I changed my philosophy out West last year, needing to make more miles and also realizing that the BEST time of day to be hiking is the last 2 hours before dusk. The best colors, the best light, cool temps, lots of wildlife, few hikers-a very meditative reflective time.

This is a great strategy to carry less weight (water) and actually USE the energy and calories you put in your body at dinner, rather than just going to bed and sitting after you eat. Also as mentioned, your chances of having an unpleasant nighttime encounter with an animal are seriously decreased if you move on to a stealth spot, rathering than camping near a hurd of people where groups sleep every night all summer.

emerald
03-29-2008, 15:23
You can experience many things hikers who spend the early morning hours in their sleeping bags and/or sitting around in camp shooting the breeze will never know by hiking early and/or late in the day. There are many reasons why wildlife is more active then aside from having little interest in hikers.

While some may be primarily interested in the social aspects of hiking the AT, others may rightly believe they have the remainder of their lives to devote to interacting with others and seek primarily to connect with and experience the natural world. These people might do well to tent away from shelters where permitted and spend more time hiking and less time camping.

AT hikers who spend more time hiking and less time in camp or town can start later and/or finish sooner thereby reducing both time and money spent on an AT hike without diminishing their experience in any way. The notion some people have of hiking too fast and missing things is often misguided. Most who hike bigger miles, hike more hours each day, rather than faster.

Early or late in the day is also the best time to hike in the summer months when temperatures are highest and most AT hikers are at lower elevations in the middle states, but then some folks like being miserable and complaining.;)

ARambler
03-29-2008, 17:09
Do western hikers have to get permission on the internet to Hike their Own Hike?

Seems like everyone on the AT thinks there is a best way to hike... They just don't agree on what it is: Hammock, no hammack; treat water, don't treat; LW is a God, LW is The God. The last couple dozen of nobo's last year were hiking on western time. At the days got shorter in late August they were hiking over a quarter of their miles at night Apparently, they like sleeping in at home, so night hiking must be the only way to enjoy their hike.

Try eating early you might like it.
Rambler

Jan LiteShoe
03-29-2008, 17:38
It's surprising how refreshing it is to take a dinner break, a nap and then hike on in the cooler evening hours.

Many is the time I unslung my pack utterly played out, or thought my feet, knees or hips couldn't bear another step. After a hour in camp shoes, rest, hydration and a meal, I felt newborn. It's rather amazing.

I've often seen wildlife then, as nocturnal animal wake up and begin foraging.

My favorite "long-day" strategy. Try it - your body might thank you. And a beautiful time of day.

warraghiyagey
03-29-2008, 17:48
Take off pack. Have dinner while enjoyin the other part of the trail. The still life of nature. Perfect.:sun

Peaks
03-29-2008, 18:07
Certainly some good pro's and con's about hiking on after dinner. The one thing that I might add is that I think bears of creatures of habit. They know where to look for hand-outs. So, if your goal is to have dinner along the trail, and then hike to an established campsite or shelter, you aren't fooling the bears at all. But, if you plan to cook at an established campsite, and then hike on, I'd say that would reduce the possiblities of bear encounters.

That being said, the only places where bears are a real issue is in places like National Parks where hunting is prohibited.

Tin Man
03-29-2008, 18:48
Hiking after 4 or 5 pm? :eek: Hiking during or after cocktail hour is sacrilegious, period. At least according to my gods. ;)

warraghiyagey
03-29-2008, 18:51
Hiking after 4 or 5 pm? :eek: Hiking during or after cocktail hour is sacrilegious, period. At least according to my gods. ;)

TESTIFY MY BROTHER!!!!!!!

bulldog49
03-29-2008, 18:53
I like to take a break and have my hot meal mid-day, and then hike on. I feel better and hike farther that way.

yappy
03-29-2008, 18:55
We did it often on the pct and Ct.. got good miliage in plus less chore when we got to camp. it got to be a habit. i liked it..:)

astrogirl
03-29-2008, 19:40
I do it about once a week, I'd say, maybe more often. If I need to make a lot of miles or I got started late, it's a good strategy.

Sometimes, I get so freaking hungry around 3pm that I will have dinner and go on. It also allows you to camp *anywhere*, which is one of the nicest benefits.

Tin Man
03-29-2008, 20:16
I do it about once a week, I'd say, maybe more often. If I need to make a lot of miles or I got started late, it's a good strategy.

Sometimes, I get so freaking hungry around 3pm that I will have dinner and go on. It also allows you to camp *anywhere*, which is one of the nicest benefits.

Um, not to quibble, but you can camp *anywhere* regardless of the time of day you stop hiking.

fiddlehead
03-29-2008, 20:51
I've laid down and slept right ON the trail already.
But yes, i wouldn't camp in the middle of a stream or pond so I guess you are right.

astrogirl
03-30-2008, 08:45
Um, not to quibble, but you can camp *anywhere* regardless of the time of day you stop hiking.

Yes, of course, but how often do AT hikers make a dry camp? I'm sure you'll point out that *you* do, but think about the group as a whole.

The only people camping on Cheoah Bald with me last year were a pair of weekenders. The majority of the hikers were at Sassafras Gap at the shelter.

emerald
03-30-2008, 09:06
I expect everyone was where he or she wanted to be.

Ashman
03-30-2008, 09:39
Seems like maybe a good idea to use if you hit a shelter with lots of time left in the day. Do dinner, take advantage of the table and water, then hike on and stop where you like

rafe
03-30-2008, 11:25
Seems like maybe a good idea to use if you hit a shelter with lots of time left in the day. Do dinner, take advantage of the table and water, then hike on and stop where you like

Yep. It simply separates the 'dinner' routine from the 'sleeping' routine. It makes sense if you're planning a stealth camp anyway, or if the urge for dinner hits early, with daylight to spare, and a desire to use it for hiking.

greentick
03-30-2008, 11:48

It's Oh-Beer-Thirty somewhere in the world 24hrs a day :D

Wise Old Owl
03-30-2008, 11:50
I never gave it a thought to hike on after dinner. Have you all noticed after a meal in colder parts of the country people get a little chilled? That is because the stomach swells with blood to aid in the process of digestion. Hense in the past people used to sit around and talk right after a big meal. But I would be willing to give it a try.

emerald
03-30-2008, 12:12
I didn't say so explicitly in my earlier post, but it can also make sense to hike before breakfast, especially in the summer after a dry camp or on a day when longer mileage is anticipated. Before-breakfast hiking can follow after-dinner hiking and sometimes work well together.

As _terrapin_ indicated, by separating sleeping and eating routines, one can simplify breaking camp in the morning and reduce the time required to get moving. On such occasions, a cold breakfast just beyond the 1st water source might work well.

Lyle
03-30-2008, 12:23
I didn't say so explicitly in my earlier post, but it can also make sense to hike before breakfast, especially in the summer after a dry camp or on a day when longer mileage is anticipated. In others words after dinner and before breakfast sometimes are a good fit.

As _terrapin_ indicated, by separating sleeping and eating routines, one can simplify breaking camp in the morning and reduce the time required to get moving. On such occasions, a cold breakfast just beyond the 1st water source might work well.

I've done this when in a low camp where it will take a while for the sun to reach it and warm up, or if the day is to start with a strenuous climb. Get a mile or two under your belt, make that climb or find a nice sunny location, then relax and have a leisurely breakfast. As I said earlier, flexibility allows you to take advantage of many different options - think outside the box.

scope
03-30-2008, 12:41

Oh **it, I'm late! Better get busy...

max patch
03-30-2008, 12:45
I made supper a few times at 5 ish and then hiked on, but found I really preferred to hike til dusk and then eat and stay put.

Tin Man
03-30-2008, 13:33

Yup, and ain't it a b*tch when you come across a stream with beer in it at 10am. Eight more miles after a couple of 18 pounders is a little much. :D

The Weasel
03-30-2008, 15:08
I was speaking with a buddy and he was telling me that some folks stop for dinner and then hike some more afterwards. Two main reasons was to put some distance between meal prep area and sleep area (bears amd critters) and to take advantage of a longer day. What do you think? The idea sounds good but I wonder how willing I would be to sling my pack back on at the end of the day

Highly recommended on much of the PCT, where shelters are far fewer and intrusive animals (including bears) more common.

TW

SunnyWalker
04-17-2008, 21:56
I am a hangar and very, very often will stop about 4 pm for dinner. Then move on and camp in the evening. With a Hammock I am in bed in a few minutes. As has been said there are so many nice things about hiking in the evening. However, in Big Bend Nat'l park I only hike in daylight due to mtn lion problems.

Tin Man
04-17-2008, 22:34
I am a hangar and very, very often will stop about 4 pm for dinner. Then move on and camp in the evening. With a Hammock I am in bed in a few minutes. As has been said there are so many nice things about hiking in the evening. However, in Big Bend Nat'l park I only hike in daylight due to mtn lion problems.

Interesting. So mountain lions only stalk prey that are moving at night and don't take an easy meal from a pinata? :-?

fiddlehead
04-17-2008, 23:10
Interesting. So mountain lions only stalk prey that are moving at night and don't take an easy meal from a pinata? :-?

Yup. That's the way i see it.

Tin Man
04-17-2008, 23:14
Guess us east-coast hikers are spoiled. Many resupply points and no mountain lions stalking us.

sarbar
04-18-2008, 00:35
While I like hiking early in the morning, resting midday and then hiking into past dinner time...I don't like hiking at dusk or later. I am not tall so I don't like making myself a cougar target! Having said that....if I am hiking alpine or with others I don't worry. But deep in a forest here in Wa? No way. The pretty kitties are plentiful out here - it is often you see their tracks or their scent.

sasquatch2014
04-18-2008, 07:32
I have heard of a number of people doing this especially in the summer months near me where it can be really hot and sticky. To help aid in this I have installed reflective tacks that match the color of the blazes along my section that I maintain. This will take people from I-84 crossing to the Morgan Stewart Shelter. I know that there are similar tacks from the Telephone Pioneer Shelter to the Dover Oak road crossing that leads into the town of Pawling

JAK
04-18-2008, 07:48
While I like hiking early in the morning, resting midday and then hiking into past dinner time...I don't like hiking at dusk or later. I am not tall so I don't like making myself a cougar target! Having said that....if I am hiking alpine or with others I don't worry. But deep in a forest here in Wa? No way. The pretty kitties are plentiful out here - it is often you see their tracks or their scent.Sarbar makes an excellent point. On the east coast I like to hike at dusk mainly to see the wildlife. Out in the big country on the west coast I would like be a babe in the woods, and I don't mean that in the Sarbar way. ;)

In winter if the days are really short I am now of a mind to try and eat just two meals, one before sunup and one after dusk, in order to hike all day without stopping, which still might only be 7-8 hours. So in winter I eat where I sleep, but the bears are asleep and the eastern coyotes haven't gotten that bold yet. I see lots of their tracks in the morning though.

Mags
04-18-2008, 10:34

Gotta agree with that statement. Twilight is awesome. I think it is why many of us hike "fast" (which really means long days). We love getting up early and hiking all day. Camping is secondary for us.

But Jack is right, eating for a bit and then hiking on is more common out West. When in heavy black bear country (e.g. The Sierra) or griz country (The Bob), I would eat dinner and move on 2-3 miles just so I am not eating and sleeping at the same place.

ARambler
04-18-2008, 13:01
I have heard of a number of people doing this especially in the summer months near me where it can be really hot and sticky. To help aid in this I have installed reflective tacks that match the color of the blazes along my section that I maintain. This will take people from I-84 crossing to the Morgan Stewart Shelter. I know that there are similar tacks from the Telephone Pioneer Shelter to the Dover Oak road crossing that leads into the town of Pawling
This is a nice touch. I used the dots for several minutes before getting to Telephone Pioneer Shelter in 2004. In 2007, I met Ralph of RPH at TPS. Thanks to all you trail manitainers.
Rambler

taildragger
04-18-2008, 13:20

I do this all the time. I get hungry around 6:00 but will hike till about 9:00, so no need to waste 3 hours, and I like to eat when I get hungry.

Also, I find it nice to eat a snack about 1 mile outside of where you plan to lay your head

envirodiver
04-18-2008, 13:48
I like to hike at night sometimes, even if it is when I arrive late at a trailhead and just want to hike in 2-3 miles and set-up camp. One interesting time I was meeting some folks in the Smokies and arrived at the trailhead 2:30-3:00. Hiked in and watched daylight hit the trail. The gradual lightning, then turn to grey, then light. Very cool. A little concerning when you see those green eyes up ahead and don't know what is attached to them.

In really bad snake country I don't hike at night. Like Big South Fork.

DavidNH
04-18-2008, 13:53

I agree 100 %! when the pack is off and dinner is eaten or being cooked.. then its relax time. The day is done!

David

bigcranky
04-18-2008, 14:36
I like to break up long days as much as possible, especially in warm weather with plenty of daylight hours. Up before dawn, hike for an hour and then grab a quick breakfast. Hike for 3-4 hours, then take a long lunch break (usually 2+ hours). If it's really hot, the lunch break goes longer. Then hike 3-4 more hours, and take a long dinner break. Eat, get water, clean up a little, then push on for another hour or two until dusk. This is a relatively painless way to put in 16+ miles in a day.

One thing I like is that I can stop in a shelter for dinner, talk to other hikers, get water, get my "social hour," and then still camp by myself.

vonfrick
04-18-2008, 14:41
i'm a little slow to get going in the morning. i like to enjoy my coffee and read a bit, plan my day, etc. so usually it's a bit more like brunch and my big meal gets eaten somewhere with a view around 4-5. not, if I can help it, in a shelter. I also like to hike well into the evening and enjoy the sunset and the totally different tone of the world in the darkness. when i get where i'm going then a nice hot cocoa and a snack before sleep.

taildragger
04-18-2008, 14:45
i'm a little slow to get going in the morning. i like to enjoy my coffee and read a bit, plan my day, etc. so usually it's a bit more like brunch and my big meal gets eaten somewhere with a view around 4-5. not, if I can help it, in a shelter. I also like to hike well into the evening and enjoy the sunset and the totally different tone of the world in the darkness. when i get where i'm going then a nice hot cocoa and a snack before sleep.

Thats just plain hedonistic, and I'd be envious, but I wake up before dawn. However, I am envious of coco and coffee while hiking (I just have tea...)

Kerosene
04-18-2008, 15:53
I do it sometimes. Not to get distance between cooking area and campsite, but for the extra energy from dinner.I'm similary to 33whiskey. I've found that sometimes an earlier dinner can be a great way to break up the day, plus I'm once again fueled up to feel strong.

If it's a nice day, then I'll stop at a nice viewpoint or at a pretty place for dinner, even though I might be looking to camp further on.

aficion
04-18-2008, 16:52
On my last section hike I walked until dark every night. If hungry for dinner before hand I simply stopped near water and ate. If not I ate where I hung my hammock.
Stopping before dark and just sitting around never crossed my mind. I may be in a very small minority, but when I'm out there, I'm usually either moving or sleeping. I do stop to clean up every day or two, but that doesn't take long. Just the way how I do. Neither right or wrong. Enjoy yourself.

vonfrick
04-18-2008, 21:09
On my last section hike I walked until dark every night. If hungry for dinner before hand I simply stopped near water and ate. If not I ate where I hung my hammock.
Stopping before dark and just sitting around never crossed my mind. I may be in a very small minority, but when I'm out there, I'm usually either moving or sleeping. I do stop to clean up every day or two, but that doesn't take long. Just the way how I do. Neither right or wrong. Enjoy yourself.

cool :cool:

Tin Man
04-18-2008, 21:57

cool :cool:

I agree, cool. :cool: I might even consider that approach myself if I was alone and was hiking to make the miles. However, I never hike alone and do not hit the trail to see how many miles I can do. Part of hiking for me is sitting around the campfire after dinner with my brother, a scotch, and some tall tales. Better than cool for me...priceless.

Farr Away
04-18-2008, 23:27
I agree, cool. :cool: I might even consider that approach myself if I was alone and was hiking to make the miles. However, I never hike alone and do not hit the trail to see how many miles I can do. Part of hiking for me is sitting around the campfire after dinner with my brother, a scotch, and some tall tales. Better than cool for me...priceless.
Absolutely, I'm there for the entire experience, which for me definitely includes camp time.

Erin
04-18-2008, 23:35
Normally, not after dinner and settling down. But last year, we got into the full moon experience. Our group was at a dry camp after a long day and figured if we ate dinnner and slept, we could hike by the moon and headlamp the five miles and be in Hot Springs before daylight. We were going south bound. So we did and it was fun, even going down Lover's Leap by head lamp. We got there just in time to open the cafe for breakfast. It was fun.

aficion
04-19-2008, 00:01
Night hiking is great fun. I enjoy it most in summer, when daytime temps hereabouts lend themselves nicely to an afternoon siesta. Other times I'm usually ready for bed when the sun is. I've found that scotch before bed works well year round.