PDA

View Full Version : Kilimanjaro

rumbler
01-26-2004, 14:01
A friend of mine is recruiting me for a January 05 climb of Kilimanjaro. Have any of y'all ever done this, or have any information on it that may be useful? I was hoping to do part of the CDT or PCT this summer, but this may be interesting enough to make me wait and spend the time and cash on Africa.

Colter
01-26-2004, 14:29
Hi Rumbler,

I made the climb about 10 years ago. At the time it was required to book with a guide. It wasn't that expensive though, by Western standards, and undoubtedly boosts the local economy, which is the purpose of the rule. It would be easy for a good outdoorsman to climb the normal route without a guide were it not for the laws.

It is a fairly easy walkup, but it IS very tall, so even folks in good shape often have some problems with the altitude ranging from nothing to headaches to, in rare occasions, serious problems, including, VERY rarely, death. Lots of folks fail to make the summit because the altitude is making them feel rotten.

One rather comical aspect of the climb is that the (required) porters would often take state-of-the-art expensive backpacks, and carry them on their heads! Who's to say that folks who climb the mountain professionally might not be on to something!

The scenery, of course, is great. And climbing from "Africa Hot" to the high altitude glaciers is an amazing experience. I would highly recommend taking the time to see some of the other sights of east Africa also, such as the Ngorongoro Crater right there in Tanzania.

Along with the general exotic nature of the climb, and all the animals in the parks, you will encounter some culture shock. Although most of the people were very friendly, EVERY restaraunt except for one during our entire stay of about 2 weeks intentionally added up our bill wrong. Lots of scams of all sorts in East Africa.

My main advice on the climb is to go slow. If one of your guide offers a climb that takes another day or two, I'd go that route. You will feel much better up high and increase your chances of summiting if you take your time.

Bring a good camera with telephoto/zoom capabilities.

Good luck!

chris
01-26-2004, 14:32
I have not climbed in east Africa, but from what I hear you can walk up Kiliminjaro without any difficulties. Of course, your friend could be thinking of an actual climbing route, which could be of any difficulty. The walk up is, I think, a little complicated by some snow and you may need crampons and an axe at times. You'll have to do some acclimitization and most likely will have to hire some sort of guide to get your permit. The guide might want to bring along any number of porters, cooks, etc, and how big a group you take will depend on what you want. Some of the staff would also look after your stuff when you make your summit bid. Of course, if you are on a climbing route a guide may not be required or necessary.

As far as travel goes, there are very few unique mountains or lanscapes in the world. I can think of only a few off the top of my head. Going _only_ to climb Kiliminjaro might disappoint you. Afterall, you could just look at some pictures of it in a nice book and then go and walk up, say, Mt. Shasta. What is unique is the culture where the mountain lives. Going to see the culture and learn something about the entire environment might prove much more rewarding. If such is the case, go for as long as you can. Climb the mountains and spend sometime in the villages and cities and try to understand the culture in which you'll be travelling.

Given the choice, I would certainly spend a summer on the PCT rather than climbing Kiliminjaro, but that is my own preference. I have good friends who would disagree with me on this. I've thought about spending a summer climbing in Ladakh and Zanskaar, but I think the CDT is calling louder. A thruhike really is that good.

Mike Drinkuth
01-26-2004, 15:04
My buddy did the walk up and he did mention that the altitude change was kinda hairy but he rated the difficulty fairly moderate. He raved about the climate change and scenery! Should be fun!

Scandiman
01-26-2004, 15:17
Some say it is somewhat a tourist trap. Sure it's a fantastic mountain, but as the first poster stated, you can only go with guides and porters.
The quality of guides/porters is often sub standard and many people have had to cough up with huge "tips" on the mountain.
So if you go, make absolutely sure you have a clear agreement of how much to pay and how much of a tip to pay. Choose guides/porters with caution.

Moon Monster
01-26-2004, 16:49
I have thoroughly read the websites of about two-dozen different guides for Kili in my exploration of trekking there in '05. By far the best read is found at http://www.africatravelresource.com/africa/E/tanzania/accommodation/N/T65-kilimanjaro/00a.htm

I'm not saying I neccessarily would pick this guide, but I strongly recommend you read everything on their site first and then decide if the trip is something you want to do. The seven-step "climb guide" is the most comprehensive material on the 'net that I have seen for deciding if Kili is right for you. This guide is very straight dope on the info. They even give you death rates, which many guides will withhold at all costs from prospective customers.

Death rates are as high as 1 in 300, and emergency evacuation rates are as high as 1 in 4 with some guides.

Incidentally, the same site has some of the coolest looking safaris I have found as well.

rumbler
01-26-2004, 20:11
Great site, MM. Thanks for the info. When are you planning on going?

Moon Monster
01-26-2004, 22:51
hey rumbler, my friend proposed the idea as something special for her 30th b'day year in 2004, but we've lost so much momentum in planning it that I'm thinking '05 now (though, as it turns out right about now would have worked out very well). I'd like to do it on the tail end of the late-Fall rainy season when rates are down and the high-stung British tourists are back at work after Holiday. New Yearsish '05 is another possibility, though.

mindlessmariachi
01-27-2004, 11:35
my sister did it last year. It didn't sound at all like the AT/PCT/CDT experience ... sounded actually quite expensive and touristy. But that said it also looked really cool. This altitude issue is no joke; people in her group were passing out, puking and getting delusional!

hpowers
02-05-2004, 23:06
hey rumbler, my friend proposed the idea as something special for her 30th b'day year in 2004, but we've lost so much momentum in planning it that I'm thinking '05 now (though, as it turns out right about now would have worked out very well). I'd like to do it on the tail end of the late-Fall rainy season when rates are down and the high-stung British tourists are back at work after Holiday. New Yearsish '05 is another possibility, though.

Preston, Interesting to find you here and see that you might want to do Kili. We went with Alpine Ascents in Seattle (http://www.alpineascents.com)
Check out their website about their trip. They also have a three day safari after the climb that is well worth doing and is plenty long enough. You can only see so many zebras and wildebeasts (? spelling). Also read this article from their website. http://alpineascents.com/kili-article.htm. I read the stuff from the Brit outfit you referenced, and I think they are pretty much on target about the trip, however it is good to have "one of us" there if things go south. If you want any more information, email me at [email protected].

Moon Monster
02-05-2004, 23:25
hey Harris! Yeah, I've been looking into Alpine ascents since you mentioned them a couple months ago. I'll be in touch with you when I get closer to planning a climbing or trekking trip.

Darwin again
03-19-2009, 13:42
It's not on the AT.

4eyedbuzzard
03-19-2009, 13:47
It's not on the AT.

Its also a 5 year old thread and has now been moved to "Other Trails"