PDA

View Full Version : Fontana area question

Mrs Baggins
03-29-2008, 08:27
I'm going to do a short section ending at Fontana Dam on the 12th of April. My husband will meet me there to take me home. We'd spend the night there first - - so how are the hotel/camping situations? Is it going to be too crowded to get a room? Is there a nearby campground/shelter? By "nearby" I mean close enough to the village to walk to a restaurant/cafe in the evening. Should I get reservations if we want a hotel? Never been up there before so I'd like to hear some voices of experience and not just go by the books.

Lone Wolf
03-29-2008, 08:29
just drive the half hour to bryson city and get a room. cheaper and more choices

Roots
03-29-2008, 08:43
Fontana Village is just that, a village. It's located all in one area. There are cabin rentals, room rentals, grocery, mail, restaurants...everything is located all together.

Hope you enjoy your hike. That area is beautiful! :)

Cuffs
03-29-2008, 13:07
the Village has lots of things going in the next few months, better check their website calendar of events...

Max Power
04-01-2008, 23:35
just drive the half hour to bryson city and get a room. cheaper and more choices
Yes there are more choices in Bryson, but it's not cheaper. Staying at the Village saves you gas and money. Until the end of April rooms are $59. Much more convenient! I doubt there is anything cheaper or as nice in Bryson.
If you end the 18 - 20, come to the Hiyak Festival.