PDA

View Full Version : Injury takes me off the trail...

Lavy
03-29-2008, 10:33
Well I started out on the trail on the 18th and basically made it to Dicks Creek Gap. I was hiking with "OGhostWhoWalks" and as we were making our decent to the road to get into Hiawassee I hit a leaf-covered rock and turned my ankle all the way over. The Doctors in town said that I have a severe high ankle sprain and I have to wear a brace for a week or 2 and I can't carry a heavy pack for 4 weeks. I couldn't be more disappointed but after talking to alot of people like Mala, Baltimore Jack and Nightwalker I'm told that it's just part of the game and not to let it bother me too much. I'm having alot of trouble not letting it bother me though because my wife who I thought would be disappointed for me is actually disappointed in me. She is a really great marathon runner and trains more than anyone I've ever met. She feels that this is my fault because I didn't train enough to help myself avoid injury. Apparently if I would've trained more that rock that I never saw just wouldn't have been there. I guess I'm just venting to you guys and I'm sorry for that but I wanted to know if there are others out there that have had similar injuries that have kept them from being able to finish the trail? I'm just trying to make myself feel better about the situation I'm dealing with. Thanks guys.

Lyle
03-29-2008, 10:46
Injury can happen to anyone, at any time. Don't let your wife make you feel guilty. If you want to get back on the trail, you will, and you will have a great time. As others have said many times, the trail will be there when you are ready and able.

In the mean-time, rest, ice, exercise as recommended. Do what you need to do and keep a positive attitude. That is the one thing you truly can control in any situation - your attitude!

Best wishes.

Bulldawg
03-29-2008, 10:48
Throw her to the curb and get you a woman that will be proud you at least tried!!

:eek::D

Just kidding about the throwing her to the curb part!!:D:datz

NICKTHEGREEK
03-29-2008, 10:49
Well I started out on the trail on the 18th and basically made it to Dicks Creek Gap. I was hiking with "OGhostWhoWalks" and as we were making our decent to the road to get into Hiawassee I hit a leaf-covered rock and turned my ankle all the way over. The Doctors in town said that I have a severe high ankle sprain and I have to wear a brace for a week or 2 and I can't carry a heavy pack for 4 weeks. I couldn't be more disappointed but after talking to alot of people like Mala, Baltimore Jack and Nightwalker I'm told that it's just part of the game and not to let it bother me too much. I'm having alot of trouble not letting it bother me though because my wife who I thought would be disappointed for me is actually disappointed in me. She is a really great marathon runner and trains more than anyone I've ever met. She feels that this is my fault because I didn't train enough to help myself avoid injury. Apparently if I would've trained more that rock that I never saw just wouldn't have been there. I guess I'm just venting to you guys and I'm sorry for that but I wanted to know if there are others out there that have had similar injuries that have kept them from being able to finish the trail? I'm just trying to make myself feel better about the situation I'm dealing with. Thanks guys.
The wisdom and infallibility of indoor plumbing

Lavy
03-29-2008, 10:56

?????????????????????

Bulldawg
03-29-2008, 11:15
?????????????????????

Yeah...............I was sorta thinking the same thing!!

CrumbSnatcher
03-29-2008, 11:17
DIVORCE HER ! or at least that would be motavation for me to recover and get the hell away from her, i mean get the hell back out there. good luck with your ankle. you have plenty of time to get back on the trail. just joking about the divorce. even most marathoners dont have the type of course we hike on. most people think you should worry about snakes,bears,hill billys(appalachian americans) when slippery roots,rocks and yes rocks covered by leaves are exceptionly bad! trust me i hike in chacos sandels i know. try to relax,rest get better and get back out there next month.

Lilred
03-29-2008, 11:26
why can't you get back out there after the ankle heals. Still plenty of time to finish, or flip flop.

Gaiter
03-29-2008, 11:31
who gets injured on the AT is completely random, it even effects marathon runners who start in 'perfect shape' (ha), every rock, root and rut that you step on is a risk for injury. I did a some training (dayhikes 2-3 a week) before my first long section, my second long section, i started cold turkey, hadn't been hiking in over 5 months. i didn't see much of a difference, both hikes i started slow, and increased as i felt comfortable, the only thing definiate about my next hike is that i'll start slow again.

its all luck, hikers in front and behind you probably hit the exact same leaf covered rock with out falling, but don't worry there have been other rocks and what not that you have stepped on fine but have injured others have gotten injured on. its just the cards dealt

weary
03-29-2008, 11:35
why can't you get back out there after the ankle heals. Still plenty of time to finish, or flip flop.
Mid April to May 1 is the ideal time to start the trail to enjoy the peak of the southern mountain wild flowers. In my experience such accidents tend to stem from going too fast, too early. Slow down and work your way north.

Weary

dessertrat
03-29-2008, 11:38
Things like that happen. I did a face plant one day because of a little (maybe one inch diameter) but extremely tough sapling stump on the trail that someone had cut off at about six inches from the ground. Just didn't see it. I was luck to avoid iserious njury, because I was alone, and about 15 miles from the nearest road.

WalkingStick75
03-29-2008, 11:43
Hmmmmm, I would let my ankle heal for three weeks and carry a lighter pack. Life is all about making compromises. Seriously, I got off the trail on my thru back in 75 because of a turned ankle and I have always regretted not getting back on the trail.

Good luck and heal quick.

turtle fast
03-29-2008, 13:00
Hey...im going to hike the trail in 6 days with my wife...you can make it....flip flop...not too hard to do...just go north and start south...you already have made many miles....ALL IS NOT LOST. :) Most people yes, start south and go north....but don't let this stop you...you can STILL head south!!!

FeO2
03-29-2008, 13:12

ROFLOL :D:D

Phreak
03-29-2008, 13:17

The trail will be there for you to pick back up where you left off. I came down with viral bronchitis las June on my way up to Maine, which became walking pneumonia, and killed my SOBO. I had to bail in Monson, ME. I'll give it another shot sometime.

gungho
03-29-2008, 14:45
Don't feel bad, injury happens. There is always a rock,stump,leaf, etc out there just waiting to reach out and grab you. This time you just happen to be the unlucky one it happenend to

10-K
03-29-2008, 17:55
I'm not quite on board with your wife's take on the situation, not that it matters.

Marathons do indeed have runners who are DNF (did not finish) because of poor preparation and training for the race but if she is indeed a real runner she has to know that any runner is subject to an injury during a race.

You have to sign a release to run a marathon. You don't to hike the AT.

Think Spring
03-29-2008, 19:44
Alas, I'm not aware of Aircasts for old man's knees, as they could have helped me coming back up from Siler Bald shelter. Once again my right knee has failed me, and I'll head back to 'my favorite' sports medicine doc for another evaluation. HOWEVER,.....as MacArthur said,..."I will return". I'm often reminded,....it's a hike, not a race. You folks have fun out there.......:sun

Grampie
03-29-2008, 20:14
Any one who does a thru without some sort of injury is damn lucky. Some injurys take you off the trail and some let you continue.
Heal it up and come back out. Happy trails.:sun

ScottP
03-29-2008, 21:00
I missed several weeks of hiking from Lyme and then had to hike at less than 1/4 of my earlier pace for several more weeks. Injuries are part of sports. No need to quit, nor is there a need to start before you're healed up and ready to go.

Best of Luck

Maple
03-29-2008, 21:13
Mid April to May 1 is the ideal time to start the trail to enjoy the peak of the southern mountain wild flowers. In my experience such accidents tend to stem from going too fast, too early. Slow down and work your way north.

Weary
Since the peak time to start hiking is mid April to May, then perhaps there is a blessing to be seen in all of this. When you go back out, enjoy the southern mountain wild flowers. Slow down and smell the roses, as they say!

excuses
03-29-2008, 21:26
I was in that area this past week and thought the just the leaves were slippery. Take 21 zero days and start with a lighter pack. You know there were things you could have done without. Slow down for a week or two and you'll be ready to move. No despair, just hike!

Bilko
03-29-2008, 21:34
You have got to be kidding us. Your wife thinks that it is your fault for twisting an ankle? You come on whiteblaze to complain about her? Your problem is alot more serious than a high sprain ankle injury.

Mad Hatter 08
03-30-2008, 19:55
Hey...im going to hike the trail in 6 days with my wife...you can make it....flip flop...not too hard to do...just go north and start south...you already have made many miles....ALL IS NOT LOST. :) Most people yes, start south and go north....but don't let this stop you...you can STILL head south!!!

You're going to hike the whole trail in SIX DAYS!!!!! wow that will beat Wild Cowboy's 30 days like crazy! ;) Seriously though you two will have a great time.

Lavy just take the time to heal and resolve the issue with your wife. I saw a few people who had to get off of the trail in the first week of March and just about all of them seem pretty well prepared to me. One guy slipped in the rain and broke 3 ribs and won't be able to return for at least 6 weeks. The point is to get back out there whether it is this year or next I'll be going back next year and I think I gave my mom some springer fever too so she may join me.

Mrs Baggins
03-30-2008, 20:34
We left at Dicks Creek Gap because my feet were in such pain and my insteps were horribly inflamed. I was sobbing for days and days. I felt so humiliated and I was so deeply disappointed in myself. I had told everyone "I've told so many people about this hike I'll have to crawl to Katahdin." And I wasn't crawling. We had a few friends and family who sneered that they didn't think we'd stay out there. That was more almost more painful than my feet. And there were those on the AT websites that said I should have "toughed it out." My podiatrist said there was no "toughing it out." I would have destroyed my arches forever. So now that's all fixed and we'll go back. I'm going back out next weekend for a short section. We'll finish it someday. DON'T let ANYONE make you feel like you can't do it. It was NOT your fault. Take care of your injury and plan your next hike!

orangebug
03-30-2008, 21:27
Remind wife and friends that "stuff" happens.

Good luck with your zero days.

Skyline
03-30-2008, 21:36
I'm very sorry to hear about your injury. It doesn't sound like a hike-ending injury, tho. Depends on how you handle the down-time. If you want to start up again at Dick's Creek Gap, there is enough time to do so without jeopardizing your ability to make Katahdin by Fall. Or if you need to, you could flip-flop.

Glad to hear you were hiking with Ghost. He stayed with us in the Shenandoah Valley the first few days of March enroute to Georgia to begin his hike from Springer, and we hiked a bit. He was having serious shoulder pain, and when he left he was thinking of not even doing the hike. His ability to get better, and get out on the Trail, should be an inspiration to you.

mark.k.watson
03-30-2008, 21:58
Apparently she has never had an injury due to a twisted ankle, over work, a bad day, and also she finished everything she ever started in her life with full and overwhelming sucess.
Or maybe she dosn't know that **** happens, no matter how hard or long you train, **** happens.
Take a bit of time off and get back out there. Light and slow.

hammock engineer
04-01-2008, 13:50
You will be fine. I had some of the same problems last year. I was fighting a light ankle sprain after the wilderness up until Gorhem. Then a bout of planter facitius in the new england states. Then a big ankle sprain coming out of Fontana dam village. I had to take some time off after the last one, then go back.

Don't rule anything thing out. You could be able to go back out, or make it for the start of southbound season.

zdavies
04-17-2008, 15:10
Not sure if you're still reading this thread, Lavy, but I feel your pain in getting knocked off the trail by an injury, same thing happened to me, but a little time and kindness to our injured parts and I'll bet we're both back on the trail, and probably with some warmer weather to boot.

Good luck and keep your courage up.

Lavy
04-18-2008, 20:27
You have got to be kidding us. Your wife thinks that it is your fault for twisting an ankle? You come on whiteblaze to complain about her? Your problem is alot more serious than a high sprain ankle injury.

Thanks for your words of wisdom Bilko... I just wanted to update you guys and say thanks for all the support. I will be heading back out to the trail first week in May. My ankle isn't completely healed yet but I figure all I'm doing at home is wasting time. I can get back out there and take it slow. Hopefully I can get back on a pace that would have me in Baxter before it closes and I'll still be able to finish things up. Thanks again guys.

Bulldawg
04-18-2008, 22:27
Good Luck LAVY!!

Panzer1
04-19-2008, 02:08
Were you wearing boots at the time? or trail shoes?
I always wear light boots because they protect my ankles from twisting.

Anyway, if you still serious about hiking this year there is time for you ankle to heal and then do a southbound hike starting in June or July. I realize most people like to northbound but sometimes you just have to go south if you want to go at all.

Panzer

jzakhar
04-19-2008, 08:47
I sat in Franklin just before the April Fools bash for 12 days because of a ankle sprain coming out of addis gap. It happens, I was able to get walking again but it took almost 2 weeks.

Good Luck

Blackberry

rickb
04-19-2008, 10:48
Jim Fixx did a whole bunch of training.

Stuff happens.

SGT Rock
04-19-2008, 11:04
It can happen to anyone.

NICKTHEGREEK
04-19-2008, 11:11
?????????????????????

Yeah...............I was sorta thinking the same thing!!

Men= outdoor plumbing, women= indoor plumbing. Women are correct 100% of the time, men are never right. Get it now?

dragonfeet
04-19-2008, 11:12
Hey I feel your pain Lavy. I tore my archilies tendon about 8mi past neels gap and I am it great shape, I run, mt bike and go to the gym. There are some things I can do to help minimize my chances of being injured, but in the end it is a crap shoot. My advice is to nurse your wounds, stay in shape, and start planning your next trip immediatly. Having my next goal to look forward to kept me from dwelling on the goal that was cut short. good luck with that ankle.

Lavy
04-19-2008, 11:26
Men= outdoor plumbing, women= indoor plumbing. Women are correct 100% of the time, men are never right. Get it now?

Makes sense now...thanks we were a bit slow on that one.

NICKTHEGREEK
04-19-2008, 12:40
Makes sense now...thanks we were a bit slow on that one.
No sweat, heal up and do your best.