PDA

View Full Version : What do you eat when it's hot?

Blue Jay
01-26-2004, 15:43
Don't worry you'll be soooo hungry you'll eat bark off a tree or even Ramon.

chris
01-26-2004, 15:55
As hot as it was on the PCT at times, I never lost my hunger and ate pretty much the same foods in SoCal when it was in the 100s as in the Sierras when it was in the 50s. I did crave dried fruit more when it was hot, and I ate some strange things in town, but mostly it was a matter of timing. You can't eat a snickers bar past 10 am (melted out). In the Sierra, you couldn't eat one before 10 am (frozen solid from the night). You probably won't want too much hot soup, but some tea or coffee in the evening is nice, particularly if you get into camp relatively early and need something to do. Try carrying drink mix like Crystal Lite: On my longer hikes, I start to get bored with just plain water. Drinking down 2-3 gallons of water a day gets dull after a while.

In general, start off with what you think might work and resupply as you go, adjusting the food you buy to your tastes at the time. If you buy all your food now and go the mail drop route, you're going to have force your tastes to conform to your food. This would also allow you to experiment with not cooking during the day. That is, with having only uncooked foods throughout the day. This isn't as silly as it might sound.

jojo0425
01-26-2004, 16:47
Living in Florida :sun , I know what you mean about needing something to cool you off after a long, hot hike. Are you talking a day hike or several days/weeks hike? Since you mentioned Subway, I'm not sure if you're doing a day hike or longer.
Some things I like to pack are: bagles, peanut butter, dried fruit, nuts and candy. This is my weekend/week long menu. For evening meals I like couscous (quick and great rice substitute) and I've found dried refried beans at my local health food store. Both of these items just need hot water to let them hydrate. I also carry cheese in a can (see: "strange things people carry"). This is light weight and easy to fix after a long hike and provides carbs and protein. I've also found foil packaged chicken, ham, ground beef and of course tuna at wallyworld.
For a day hike, I make my own sandwich wraps (use tortilla wraps) or bagel sandwiches using turkey, lettuce, and whatever and some cookies/candy and chips and fresh fruit. But like it was said earlier...after a long hike, anything tastes good!

okpik
01-26-2004, 17:56
You actually need lees protien when it's hot like that.
Eat normal but don't load on one type or another such as carbs or protien, ect... Protein cannot be used as fast and high amounts will make ya a bit nausious. :sun :sun :sun

chris
01-27-2004, 08:45
A generalization that seems to be true, or atleast was last summer. Carbs require the least amount of water to digest, protein next, and fats the most water. If it is hot out, you may not be drinking enough water to begin with. A meal consisting of a lot of fat is good for a thruhiker, but remember to drink a lot of water with it.

okpik
01-27-2004, 10:14
A generalization that seems to be true, or atleast was last summer. Carbs require the least amount of water to digest, protein next, and fats the most water. If it is hot out, you may not be drinking enough water to begin with. A meal consisting of a lot of fat is good for a thruhiker, but remember to drink a lot of water with it.

why make generalizations when the answers are easy to obtain.
one of many search engine hits on protein metabolism in hot weather (http://www.teamoregon.com/publications/heat.html)

The system produces more heat to process the proteins and fats so uses up fluids more & produces amino acids that take longer to process thus stressing the renal and hepatic system. (kidney & liver)

Normal amounts of fats and proteins are fine, I even cutback a bit and stick to basic sugars and carbs, (oh ya, and plenty o coffee. no one's perfect.)

Before sharing this info on a professional basis as I do, I once ran a 10k in 95+ degree weather as a dumb kid and thought it would be wise to down a whole bottle of that straight protein drink crap. Boy, never thought I would stop puking and being dizzy. :datz

feedbag
01-28-2004, 21:59
If its that hot out you can rehydrate noodles, rice, and such in a widemouth bottle, just strap it on the top of your pack few hours before dinner. This way your dinner isn't piping hot and you don't have to worry about cooking.

The Solemates
01-28-2004, 22:45
I am used to hiking in hot temps as well here in the South. After a week on the trail, I typically crave fresh fruit and fresh vegetables. I will probably try to stock up on fruit while in towns.