PDA

View Full Version : RV campsites along the AT

DoDaMan
03-29-2008, 14:50
Does anyone know of a reference book that would list the locations of rv type campsites along the AT? My wife wants to meet me nightly in our rv, so I would day hike the distance from one campsite to another. I have heard of other couples doing this and wonder if there is a publication of near campsites and road access to the AT.

Thx
DoDaMan

weary
03-29-2008, 17:10
Does anyone know of a reference book that would list the locations of rv type campsites along the AT? My wife wants to meet me nightly in our rv, so I would day hike the distance from one campsite to another. I have heard of other couples doing this and wonder if there is a publication of near campsites and road access to the AT.

Thx
DoDaMan
Most large newstands and book stores sell guides to campgrounds. With a copy plus a full set of AT maps, you could probably figure out a place for her to meet you most days, but I doubt if it's possible to do as you suggest every night. I know it isn't in parts of Maine, and my memory tells me you probably would have trouble in the Smokies.

Weary

rickb
03-29-2008, 17:21
Warren Doyle could probably help with this kind of logistic, but his groups put in some big mileage days, especially compared to today's typical thru hiker, so it would only be a start.

ScottP
03-29-2008, 17:29
As long as you don't have a problem hiking a few extra miles (to get from the AT down to accessible campgrounds once or twice in the smokies here and there or having your wife drive in on fire (or logging roads in Maine) you should be able to make it work most days.

Have a great time!

Hansel and Gretel (a German couple) hike with two cars and spend every night in a hotel. They do a 6 week section or so, and when I met them in 2006 they were working their way north, and had gotten from Springer to PA. I don't have their e-mail address, but someone on whiteblaze must.

OregonHiker
03-29-2008, 18:17

Thx
DoDaMan

Are you or friend a AAA member?

It might be worth it to join for a year along with coverage for your RV (and peace fo mind for your wife if there is a breakdown)

There are camping and maps books for each state.

You might also try their website

Appalachian Tater
03-29-2008, 18:29
Ask Warren Doyle, he knows all about RV-hiking the A.T., all the road crossings, places to park, etc. You could send him a Private Message.

Wise Old Owl
03-29-2008, 18:32
Koa & Good Sam put out their own publications, Koa asks for a small membership donation and then gives a kickback on each night. Avoid the KOA at Harpers Ferry it's a nightmare. Most campgrounds are not near the trail. Good luck

Mark

Gray Blazer
03-29-2008, 21:40
I've seen people rveeing at the different gaps and forest roads in NC/TN and GA. I've seen some local partiers show up at different trailheads in the middle of the night. One minute you're sleeping peacefully in your car or tent. The next minute your surrounded by motorcycles and it's 3 in the morning. I was going to say get the AAA camping guides. They'll give you all the pay areas and rate them as well as list all the free areas in the National Forests. I saw this one couple doing it. She was shopping for antiques during the day and he was hiking from roadway to roadway on the AT.

ChinMusic
03-29-2008, 22:05

Thx
DoDaMan
Once we retire my wife is willing to "shadow" me in our RV while I attempt a thru. I figured the RV would be like hitting a trail town and not something I would not be able, or wanting to do, every day. One great benefit would be being able to easily swap out gear as conditions change by using the RV for food and gear.

She would be able to explore/shop/etc the different towns along the way and we would be able to have a meal and evening together every few days. It would also be a nice option for taking a zero for health/mental/or weather reasons with more ease.

I can't help you with sites for the RV. I just wanted to post as someone who is thinking along the same lines.

Skyline
03-29-2008, 22:15
One of the best campground directories is Woodall's. They have state, regional, and a national edition. Here's a link:

http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/directories-books/woodalls-campground-directory.htm

I'm not aware of a ready-made list of RV campgrounds within easy distance of the AT. If you get Woodall's, you could likely compile one. It would probably be a good addition to WB's Articles Section.

Wise Old Owl
03-29-2008, 22:21
Maybe we should compile our nearby favorite campgrounds for all as Lat/long & brief paragraphs for all to read in a separate forum.. hmmmm

too much work for people.....Naa never Mind How the Hell would it be helpfull to hiker support groupies.... NEVERMIND.....SNL

Gray Blazer
03-29-2008, 22:24
Once we retire my wife is willing to "shadow" me in our RV while I attempt a thru. I figured the RV would be like hitting a trail town and not something I would be able, or wanting to do, every day. One great benefit would be being able to easily swap out gear as conditions change by using the RV for food and gear.

She would be able to explore/shop/etc the different towns along the way and we would be able to have a meal and evening together every few days. It would also be a nice option for taking a zero for health/mental/or weather reasons.

I can't help you with sites for the RV. I just wanted to post as someone who is thinking along the same lines.

There are tons of historical sites along the AT. If one's significant other was a teacher, they could prolly get recertified by doing some visits along the trail. I know my mom did it one summer. We drove up the East coast and came back through the Appalachians. I remember we drove the entire Skyline and BRP.

ChinMusic
03-29-2008, 22:29
DoDaMan - I have found http://www.rvforum.net to be an excellent site for general RV questions. They would be able to tell you what source book would work best for you.

mudhead
03-30-2008, 09:06
Gazeteer for the state would be a good start.

Will need a map for the state anyway.

jamarshall
03-30-2008, 09:27
http://www.amazon.com/Guide-Car-Hiking-Appalachian-Trail/dp/0595243487

I've never read this, but it sounds like it would be useful.

My husband drives our truck camper while I section hike. Sometimes I slackpack, other times I'm out for 3-5 days on my own - depends on the section. I give him copies of the trail maps and he uses the Delorme map books to track me down at road crossings. There are lots of campgrounds within 10 miles of the AT in the sections I've done so far (NY-SNP).